AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-08-23, 21:29   Link #441
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Maybe I should learn how to bake. I mean, I like to cook, but a guy baking sweets? Not manly at all. But...I'd be able to make cookies from scratch! Conundrum!

Really though, maybe I should learn to bake some things. It would be rewarding. Why I like to cook special meals (when I feel like doing those) is the rewards of a good meal that is usually better than things I order at restaurants. I like home cooked meals more than a lot of restaurant meals. Only when it is a good or great dish from an exceptionally good or great restaurant; only then can restaurant food compete with good home cooked meals.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:30   Link #442
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Maybe I should learn how to bake. I mean, I like to cook, but a guy baking sweets? Not manly at all. But...I'd be able to make cookies from scratch! Conundrum!

Really though, maybe I should learn to bake some things. It would be rewarding. Why I like to cook special meals (when I feel like doing those) is the rewards of a good meal that is usually better than things I order at restaurants. I like home cooked meals more than a lot of restaurant meals. Only when it is a good or great dish from an exceptionally good or great restaurant; only then can restaurant food compete with good home cooked meals.
I am not sure about you, but I enjoy baking more than "mainstream" cooking. With baking, I could afford to be more creative, and the decoration part is my favourite. The smell of freshly baked cookies just out of the oven...that moment is priceless. You will just stand there admiring your work for a moment.

Haha, what's wrong with a guy baking cookies? I find that cute. Your male friends might laugh at you, but your girlfriends will no doubt find that charming. Speaking from a female pov, I feel that guys who can bake are more reliable lovers than those who could not

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 23:57   Link #443
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Haha, what's wrong with a guy baking cookies? I find that cute. Your male friends might laugh at you, but your girlfriends will no doubt find that charming.:
I have gotten better with cooking, and I know ladies like guys that can cook, so I'm doing fine so far.

Really, I wouldn't mind learning how to bake. Why not. I've gotten decent, maybe even good at cooking (and maybe I'm good and just being too modest). I just have to start from ground one. I have no experience with baking other than some baking I did in a class in the fifth grade and taking some pre-made cookie dough and baking it in the oven. Okay, that last one doesn't even count, huh?

I'm not very good with grilling, either. I can grill meats and it is pretty straightforward, but there is still a bit more to it than what appears on the surface and I'm just on the surface with it.
Old 2012-08-25, 03:03   Link #444
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Baking is easier than mainstream cooking, that's how I feel. If you really want to learn, you can start trying easy recipes such as basic chocolate cake or chocolate chip cookies. I know BBC has loads of recipes, and ppl rate them too, so you can try out without worrying you might fail. Really basic recipes involve only mixing/beating the ingredients and shaping them into shapes. Oh, you might want to try no-bake cheesecakes. My personal favourite is Oreo. Here's one recipe: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ke-105197.aspx It's a sinful indulgence, I tell you. The way the cream cheese melts in your mouth and the taste of crunchy, rich chocolate from the Oreo biscuits are truly stimulating. It's something you would pick over the finest liquors.

Meh, I'm not good at grilling either. I often couldn't cook the meat fully.

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-08-25 at 03:16.
Old 2012-08-25, 04:00   Link #445
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The only manly kind of cooking is FRYING.

Though, truthfully, frying (specifically stir frying) is the only kind of cooking I can do .

Baking, or Roasting requires a bit more knowledge of timing, and is trickier.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 20:45   Link #446
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Muaha: I'll check out BBC for baking recipes. Oreo cheesecake sounds good. There is a rather decent bakery a couple of towns away from my town. Maybe I can try their cheesecake to see what a good cheesecake is like. It has been so long since I had cheesecake that isn't a frozen cheesecake that you just thaw out.

Don Q: Ask Americans guys, and a lot of them will attest that grilling meats on an open fire is the manliest way of cooking.
Old 2012-08-25, 20:57   Link #447
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Don Q: Ask Americans guys, and a lot of them will attest that grilling meats on an open fire is the manliest way of cooking.
Hmmm... can't really beat that. An open fire is more manly then a stove. But only slightly.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 21:44   Link #448
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Stove top cooking is a good way to go. You can create a lot of meals that way. Baking dinners is good, too.

Last Sunday, I made a great meal and served it to family members. I made a real shepard's pie, with carrots and mushroom instead of corn or peas. My brother helped me make it.

This shepard's pie had ground beef and ground lamb, as well as fresh carrots and fresh mushrooms and diced onion, and kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, ground cinnamon, tomato puree, beef stock, and red wine.

All that stuff was cooked in a deep frying pan (not all at once, I followed some steps before everything was combined, and then it all simmered for 30 minutes while covered). I used real red wine instead of cooking wine. It is better that way. I just bought a red wine with a low cost (it is from a brand that makes good cheaply priced wines). I only needed a tablespoon of tomato puree and I could only find very big cans of the stuff, so I just bought a small tomato, cut it in half, peeled off the skin, and finely minced about 1 1/2 tablespoons of it. There was more ground beef than ground lamb, but not by very much.

I then made some very basic mashed potatoes (yellow potatoes, butter, whole milk, salt and pepper), put the stuff in the sauce pan in a big casserole dish, covered it with potatoes, and then baked it until it was golden and the juices were bubbling. It was the best shepard's pie we ever had. The beef stock, red wine, spices, and herbs really flavored the meat, and the lamb meat really helped take it to another level, too.

The stuff that went in the frying pan:

The recipe said this was a UK style shepard's pie, so I bought some Guinness and had some with the meal, and the Guinness made it taste even better. It didn't just compliment the flavors, it enhanced them.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:30   Link #449
spikexp

Quote:
Muaha: I'll check out BBC for baking recipes. Oreo cheesecake sounds good
Oreo cheesecake recipe can be find on Oreo cookie box... It is delicious
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 18:32   Link #450
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Nasi impit (compressed rice) and rendang. The rendang was actually leftover from my house party. Yumm~~ I prefer to eat compressed rice with peanut satay sauce, but I was lazy to make one. Besides, one can pretty much eat anything with compressed rice. It's extremely versatile.

I am going to force myself to cook even more for the next 2 days, as I am leaving on the 1st of September to tour Europe for 16 days. No doubt I will stuff myself with sandwiches and whatnot, so I had better pamper my stomach while I can.

Old 2012-08-30, 03:12   Link #451
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

I recently cooked a cheesecake for my dog's birthday.
She really does love it! I had to make it during my food technology class
Still, couldn't take a photo...
Old 2012-08-30, 04:44   Link #452
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytonis View Post
I recently cooked a cheesecake for my dog's birthday.
She really does love it! I had to make it during my food technology class
Still, couldn't take a photo...
Food technology class? Haha, you must be a UK student then. Awwww, your dog loves to eat cheesecake? You really should have snapped a photo.

Old 2012-09-04, 15:10   Link #453
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Time for a mid-night snack, i actually made this at midnight, some toasts with tomato ketchup

Old 2012-09-04, 17:47   Link #454
jdennis007

If you are completely new to baking I would suggest starting with cake mixes and stuff just to get a feel for it. Baking has a tendency to be more precise than cooking, the pinch of this, a bit of that doesn't work too well with baking.
I have gotten to like grilled toast recently (especially since my toaster died).
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 19:30   Link #455
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Toast with ketchup? That sounds ghetto. XD What country is Kissan from? I never heard of the stuff before.

I'll post a pic of the meal I had for dinner today. Just gotta get the pic off the SD card.
Old 2012-09-04, 19:36   Link #456
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Toast with ketchup? That sounds ghetto. XD What country is Kissan from? I never heard of the stuff before.

I'll post a pic of the meal I had for dinner today. Just gotta get the pic off the SD card.
Oh the memories... I tried ketchup so many times myself... its not bad... at least its edible...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 20:02   Link #457
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I had linguine with shrimp with a sauce made from white wine and butter.

The sauce started with some olive oil (half olive oil, half EVOO) heated in a pan, then I sauteed a bunch of fresh minced garlic in the oil and in some butter, then I pan sauteed raw shrimp for a short bit, added white wine (real wine, I don't use cooking wine), brought it to a boil, simmered it for about five minutes, added zest of lemon and salt and pepper, and then simmered it for about 90 seconds and then it was ready for the linguine.

I like to cook with wine now, so I do that sometimes. I buy the best budget wine money can buy! I found this brand that works for me. It won some awards for being a good budget wine. It only costs $7 a bottle and I've seen it on sale for only $6 a bottle.
Old 2012-09-05, 03:56   Link #458
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

I meant to share a photo, but I made crockpot lasagna. It was very good
Old 2012-09-05, 06:04   Link #459
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:

ok, it's not very delicious thing to eat, but what else would you get in the middle of the night, and there is no one to do actual cooking and it doesn't taste that bad,it tastes ok, about the ketchup i have no idea, bought it from a local store, there are actually so many brands for such stuff, you never know where it comes from
Old 2012-09-05, 06:24   Link #460
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Nasi impit (compressed rice) and rendang. The rendang was actually leftover from my house party. Yumm~~ I prefer to eat compressed rice with peanut satay sauce, but I was lazy to make one. Besides, one can pretty much eat anything with compressed rice. It's extremely versatile.

Do you have a secret method with your Nasi impit? it looks really well done. Did you leave it over night? Tell meee