AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-12-19, 17:46   Link #8581
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The manga is chaotic enough to have a time/space rift where Hayate and Nagi spend a decade together and get married when they go back to the present time. As for favourite pairings, Maria<Ayumu<Hinagiku<Athena is how I see it. Izumi's connection to Hayate was ret-coned, so it felt kinda forced.
Athena could change place with Hina though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
There's Aria from Hidan no Aria.

Isn't Nagi in high school right now?
Aria is like, 17, but her body stopped aging, like Shana.

Last edited by Athena; 2011-12-19 at 18:38.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 18:25   Link #8582
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Athena could change place with HIna though.
After that almost-confession, Hina's chances dropped dramatically though
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 18:39   Link #8583
Athena
The Power of One

Yeah, but in usual love mangas, I've seen more situations where the boy gets himself another girl after getting dumped. The opposite stands too, but not in an harem-typed like this one.
Old 2011-12-19, 18:51   Link #8584
Mentar
Banned

At the moment, we don't need to talk about Hina or A-tan. If you have watched the movie (and read the recent manga story arc), it's crystal clear which pairing Hata pushes. Even though at best 1 out of 5 readers shares his preference. I smell another Kobayashi Jin-like disaster in the making, though on the super-long run.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 20:24   Link #8585
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I did too, though Hata forgot that it was used once I think.
I think that was just in the anime (with Hayate and Izumi, right? Something about an SD card...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Even though at best 1 out of 5 readers shares his preference.
Not even that, is it? Based on the popularity polls, Hina is at least 4 times more popular than Nagi, and A-tan at least twice as popular. That's not even counting all the Maria, Izumi, etc fans. So it's really more like 1 out of 8 fans, at best. Barely breaking into the double digit percentages.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 22:10   Link #8586
Sol Falling

If I had to say, I suppose my shipping preference would be an ending with Athena (as a mutual love). But, frankly, even as a comedy, Hayate no Gotoku carries enough thematic weight for me that I think the ending shouldn't be all about romance or popularity. The Power of Kings, and whether earnest hard work and effort really will be rewarded/is the path to happiness; a thematic resolution to these concepts is more important to me than character drama in itself, or the romance in this story. So, if Hata can deliver on those, I don't think I'd mind a romantic ending with Nagi. Further than that, I don't even really mind Hata taking his time right now, because once those questions are answered, I do think that will be the end of this manga and no more shenanigans.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 11:12   Link #8587
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
I smell another Kobayashi Jin-like disaster in the making, though on the super-long run.
Kobayashi chickened out and ended up pissing everybody off. If Hata has the courage to stick to his true pairing till the end, the majority of fans will at least understand, even if they're disappointed. I'm in the Hayate/Athena and Hayate/Maria camps myself, but I can think of several ways the Hayate/Nagi couple could be made to work.
Old 2011-12-20, 20:37   Link #8588
Fandal

Isn't Nagi more popular towards kids? Wasn't the first anime geared towards kids?
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 23:21   Link #8589
Lisemer

That was because it had a lot of parodies, but the manga now doesn't has even that, it's just pushing the Hayate/Nagi pairing at force with immature goals and with almost no parodies whatsoever...
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 23:57   Link #8590
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Maybe it's because I've been jumping around the recent chapters and reading them all in oneshot, but I'm not getting the Hayate/Nagi vibe that people seem to be picking up.

To me, the recent chapters still doesn't look any different from how Hayate was treating Nagi when this first started years ago- which is a master/servant relationship.

So could you all be abit specific ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 00:19   Link #8591
Used Can

I really don't mind Hata doing what he wants to do. Personally, I don't want a hand-tailored official fanfiction. My problem is the manga remaining boring for quite a while and Hata keeping on adding new characters I really don't want to care about, no matter how cute they may be.

I know drawing manga is his job, but he should know when you can no longer beat a dead horse. The gags, in my opinion, are not as funny as they used to be at the beginning. I also think the art has deteriorated considerably. I just saw a comparison between a cover with Maria from the first chapters and a cover with her from current ones and it was quite the change, and I don't think it was for good. In terms of "plot," the story seems to have reached its high point with the Greece arc. I really think he should end HnG soon and start a new manga. He's already made a name for himself; so, he could probably pull another fairly successful manga rather easily.

As for the Hayate x Nagi thing. Personally, it's not my thing, nor do I think there's ever been any romantic development between them. Thus far, their relationship has been that of a father and his daughter, or that of an elder brother and his little sister, since Hayate has always been looking over Nagi, and helping her to grow up. However, if Hata does want to end it that way, that's his decision and whilst I may not like it, I wouldn't want him to end up doing an ending just to please the fans. I would expect, though, some proper development that would actually lead to an ending like that between Hayate and Nagi rather than just "they're the main characters lol".
Old 2011-12-21, 00:25   Link #8592
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

does anyone know what the Japanese fans reaction is toward the recent development (or lack of development) after Greek island arc?
Old 2011-12-21, 01:39   Link #8593
Shadow5YA

It's not hard to tell that Hayate is only attracted to Athena and Maria. His history with Athena is obvious, and there was stuff like that pool game early on in the series where Hayate tried to get something out of Maria.

The main issue is if Hayate can have a mutual love with any girl when he's so damn oblivious to the feelings of everyone in his harem. He had something with Athena, but the moment Athena refused to take back Hayate and he interpreted as a love rejection, Hayate became as oblivious to Athena's feelings as he is to everyone else's.
As for Maria, nothing has happened between Hayate and her in forever.

Taking Hayate's feelings into account, the only person who made any real progress with him is Nagi. The whole development in the End of the World arc with her crushing the King's Jewel earned her a lot of respect. However, Hayate and Nagi's relationship is more familial at this point than romantic.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 01:46   Link #8594
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Taking Hayate's feelings into account, the only person who made any real progress with him is Nagi. The whole development in the End of the World arc with her crushing the King's Jewel earned her a lot of respect. However, Hayate and Nagi's relationship is more familial at this point than romantic.
Uhhh... I think you're forgetting about our beloved underdog Ayumu. Hayate knows exactly how she feels about him, since she's spelled in clearly to him twice and has gone as far as to kiss him (on the cheek). She's the only one who has had some actual development in terms of romance, though it's gone nowhere.

Anyhow, romance aside, I think Hayate's relationships with girls have had progress and Nagi isn't the only exception. You could say the same with Hina, Ayumu and even Maria to an extent.
Old 2011-12-21, 11:20   Link #8595
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
does anyone know what the Japanese fans reaction is toward the recent development (or lack of development) after Greek island arc?
I wonder. It's their opinions that matter anyway, not ours. We can complain until we're blue in the face, but if the Japanese readers are happy with things the way they are, nothing's going to change. However, the fact that Hata felt compelled to defend the recent chapters on his blog (in Japanese) makes it likely that he's feeling some pressure from that end as well.

I, too, think the series has gone as far as it can go as a slice-of-life/comedy manga and that it's time to wrap things up. The art has definitely deteriorated, and the number of characters is starting to approach School Rumble territory now. He's a good mangaka, he can draw something else that's just as good next time.
Old 2011-12-22, 20:50   Link #8596
Fandal

Hayate has a very special relationship with Nagi. That relationship is different then the usual anime romantic one. It's one that Hayate always wanted - a master he could take care of. It's been like that since day one. It looks like one of those relationship a Servant has towards their Master or King.

I think the Fate/Series explains it best.
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 09:59   Link #8597
Lisemer

I wonder if Hata may be against a third season of the anime, because there will be animated at least the "The End of the World" arc and with that, A-tan will have even more fans wanting more about her in the manga
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 18:21   Link #8598
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisemer View Post
I wonder if Hata may be against a third season of the anime, because there will be animated at least the "The End of the World" arc and with that, A-tan will have even more fans wanting more about her in the manga

If that was the case he wouldn't have created such an incredible character in the first place
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 18:33   Link #8599
Mentar
Banned

I think the main "problem" is that the arc was too good for ALL characters. All characters with the sole slight exception of Maria had their scenes of pure awesome, be it Nagi, Hina, A-Tan or Ayumu. It was high on drama, but _too much of it_. Now, the aftermath feels much much worse and completely lacking. But you can't pull a second Greece arc easily without resolving the entire show. Even the current semi-reset felt pretty forced already.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 18:35   Link #8600
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I think the main "problem" is that the arc was too good for ALL characters. All characters with the sole slight exception of Maria had their scenes of pure awesome, be it Nagi, Hina, A-Tan or Ayumu. It was high on drama, but _too much of it_. Now, the aftermath feels much much worse and completely lacking. But you can't pull a second Greece arc easily without resolving the entire show. Even the current semi-reset felt pretty forced already.
i wonder if hata did want to close out the manga with the Greek Island Arc but the editors convince him to continue?

Tags
comedy, shounen