Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-13, 00:03   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Outlaw Star

I been re-watching Outlaw star this week and I am reminded of what a good series this is. I just finish Ep20 "Cats and Girls and Spaceships" and i am struck by how different this series is form almost any other show out there.

Spoiler:

This ep impress me so much that I just had to post it. Really glad i start re-watching my older anime collection. It is going to be while befire i start watching anything new with so much so old stuff on my shelf.
Old 2006-10-13, 00:07   Link #2
lommm
l'homme de lommm

and the music in that episode is so great also! it's all that blues-y harminica! so sad! but so great!!

that's the best of the "one-off" type of episodes in the series (ie, the eps that aren't exactly furthering the overall plot of who is after Jim and his brother)
Old 2006-10-13, 08:59   Link #3
RyoSaeba

Definitely a fine series. I haven't watched it in about three years but I've been rewatching it since I got in the remastered Japanese boxset. It's definitely one I need to rewatch more often.
Old 2006-10-13, 10:48   Link #4
Karnot
Banned

Not only its a good anime, but it is also an absolutely typical Sunrise produced show, as well as absolutely typical 90s show.
Old 2006-10-15, 03:29   Link #5
Runningkid

i loved this anime so much! apparantly angels link is set in the sam,e universe.. is this true?
Old 2006-10-15, 11:31   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Great to see an OS mention - I love this show. It was one of the first anime I really threw myself into. Also loved "Cats, Girls and Spaceships" - the best ep in the series, IMO.
Old 2006-10-15, 11:35   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningkid View Post
i loved this anime so much! apparantly angels link is set in the sam,e universe.. is this true?
Yup, Fred Lou show up in cameo in the first ep and 2 of the AL character were in Outlaw Star. Althought exactly when in the timeline the 2 series coexist i have no idea. Althought if Gene had seen MeiFeng's Melon...pan he probably would have die form excessive loss of blood

Too bad a couple of years back the firector was interview and he said they plans for 2nd Outlaw Star series but was scrapped by the company
Old 2006-10-15, 12:57   Link #8
RyoSaeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Too bad a couple of years back the firector was interview and he said they plans for 2nd Outlaw Star series but was scrapped by the company
With no funding it's pretty much impossible to make more. From what I remember reading Sunrise was reluctant to fund more Outlaw Star since it did rather mediocre in Japan and they ended up losing money on it. Though I was amazed about the fact that Bandai Visual was doing a remastered release when it was first announced in April so maybe if that sold well enough that maybe they'd warm up to funding more.
Old 2006-10-15, 15:57   Link #9
lommm
l'homme de lommm

yeah, this sold much better in the US than in Japan... i think it was due to Cartoon Network. they aired it a long time ago and the English dub was actually much better than most... though all American dubs sound too happy and upbeat to me... let the animation and story be exciting, don't force it with the voices...
Old 2007-01-10, 12:33   Link #10
reloaded
skywalker

Outlaw Star is undoubtedly one of my favourite animes, its sad when animes end tho i really wished that they would do another series
Old 2007-01-10, 13:05   Link #11
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloaded View Post
Outlaw Star is undoubtedly one of my favourite animes, its sad when animes end tho i really wished that they would do another series
They did! It's called Angel Links. But it's not about Gene and it's honestly not all that good.

It's really about Big boobs and swords.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-01-10, 15:17   Link #12
reloaded
skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
They did! It's called Angel Links. But it's not about Gene and it's honestly not all that good.

It's really about Big boobs and swords.
It aint the same if its not about gene tho thats stupid, its lyk making a new dragonball series and hercule being the main character....not good
Old 2007-01-14, 06:28   Link #13
Honeyman

Yes, to watch Outlaw Star again is like revisiting a good old friend. Everytime I watch it I really enjoy how the story unfolds, the characters, the settings, the music and the different types of battles.

Oh, if only Sunrise would make another show as good as this (not that Sunrise don't make good shows and if Gundam allows them to get and use that money, then roll on the next Gundam rendition!)
Old 2007-01-15, 19:35   Link #14
reloaded
skywalker

Outlaw star is different from lots other shows its just different in a much more positive sense i dont think there will be another anime like it i do miss it alot
Old 2007-01-17, 23:09   Link #15
PatPeter

Was Outlaw Star continued past Ep 26?

Outlaw Star was made to be continued, you can just tell if you watch the ending and pay attention to things.

But yes I heard a rumor a while back about a continuation where they changed the name and storyline, but it has the same organizations and weapons and the like.
Old 2008-05-19, 13:27   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Watching the remastered 20 ("Cats, Girls and Spaceships") today for some reason put me in mind once again how much I loved this series generally, and that ep specifically. It's one of my "formative" series and no matter how long I can go without thinking about it, I always love it when something does pull me back in. Too bad OS2 never saw fruition - there was so much more that could have been mined from these characters.
Old 2008-05-20, 02:07   Link #17
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
how is the remastered versus the original?
Old 2008-05-20, 18:23   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just cleaner video and better sound, no content changes that I'm aware of. Still, OS has never looked or sounded better, and dor as much thunder and lightning as the show produced, that makes a difference.
Old 2008-05-20, 23:20   Link #19
sayde

I know this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know the name of the song that plays during the 1st episode and the "hot springs of planet Tenrei" episode?

In the first episode, it plays while Gene is staring out a window after sleeping with some prostitute.

It plays again as the wizards who've made the caster rounds witness Gene leaving the planet Tenrei with the rest of the crew.

I'm sure the song is played a few more times throughout the series, but that's all the comes to mind at the moment. After going through every song on the ost, I can't seem to find it. So if anyone can confirm whether or not this is just an unreleased track, I'd appreciate it.

Last but not least, roughly when were the remastered episodes released?
Old 2008-05-20, 23:23   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I want to say late '06 or so.

Ah, the Hot Springs ep... I'll never forget how Cartoon Network didn't air it because it was "inappropriate".
Closed Thread

Tags
kemonomimi