AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 10 17.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 37.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 25.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 15.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.45%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-04, 13:54   Link #21
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ahh. One of my favorite guilty pleasures is back in all it's yuri goodness.

My favorite part of this show has always been the Yumi x Sachiko scenes but Touko and Yumi have some really great chemistry too, and Kugiyama Rie is doing an excellent job with her portrayal.
Old 2009-01-04, 14:09   Link #22
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Well, I have to say Marimite is getting kind of repetitive these days but I sill like it a lot. I mean - "a girl who doesn't like men is more or less forced to take part in a school play with men" - we have seen this exact scenario unfold in season one. OK, now there are some modifications, granted but it's not going to win any originality points. I am really hoping season 4 won't be as heavily concentrated on just Yumi and Sachiko as season 3. Oh, well, as long as I get to see Shimako in that antique kimono (or whatever her acting attire is) all is forgiven. Also, Yumi and Touko are building a nice...I wouldn't call it a relationship yet, more like character dynamic.

P.S. Talk about totally suggestive ending.

Old 2009-01-04, 14:32   Link #23
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Really? I think that the change on Yumi's standing gives it quite a fresh perspective but maybe that's just me.
Old 2009-01-04, 19:17   Link #24
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Gaaah! It's so nice seeing this show back! And we get more Sei which is always good .
Old 2009-01-04, 21:41   Link #25
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Just saw the op. Whatever happened to "walking slowly is preferred"? Though it was nice to see them happy and laughing.
That's what I thought. They weren't walking slowly at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Well, I have to say Marimite is getting kind of repetitive these days but I sill like it a lot. I mean - "a girl who doesn't like men is more or less forced to take part in a school play with men" - we have seen this exact scenario unfold in season one. OK, now there are some modifications, granted but it's not going to win any originality points. I am really hoping season 4 won't be as heavily concentrated on just Yumi and Sachiko as season 3. Oh, well, as long as I get to see Shimako in that antique kimono (or whatever her acting attire is) all is forgiven. Also, Yumi and Touko are building a nice...I wouldn't call it a relationship yet, more like character dynamic.

P.S. Talk about totally suggestive ending.
The ED was rather yurilicious. I get the feeling with the OP and ED, which are totally different from anything we've seen in Marimite before, that the creators are (or at least think) they're a little more "in-tune" with their target audience, which isn't really a good thing, since it's lead to OP and EDs which might sell more singles but are, as people have suggested, out of place. Don't get me wrong, the OP in particularly is a fun tune, but it's not Marimite.

Ep 1 was awesome. Yes, Kanako's aversion to men is a rehash of Sachiko's in the first season, but I think Kanako's is a bit more extreme. Nonetheless, I'm much more enthralled by the back-and-forths between Yumi and Touko. I think that's the most interesting thing in the story that's going on right now.

Anyway, to act fanboyish for a sec... MARIMITE FUCK YEAH! I've seen a crapload of moe anime over the years, but a lot of it is so manufactured and contrived. For me, Marimite is probably the most naturally moe anime I've seen. You could show me a million episodes of Lucky Star and a million episodes of Nanoha, and you still couldn't get as much of a "oh god this is moe" reaction out of me than a single ep of Marimite. I think one reason is because the girls appeal to my natural... err.. preferences (I don't want to say "fetishes" since that's not appropriate for Marimite), but, more importantly, because nothing in the anime itself hinges on these girls being moe, which just makes them seem more moe. You never get the feeling that the moe characteristics of the girls are being forced down your throat, because the show just doesn't have to do that to succeed at what its aiming. ARIA was a bit the same, but the effect is more noticeable in Marimite, IMO.
Old 2009-01-04, 21:44   Link #26
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Haha Marimite was revived again . I'll be waiting for the first episode with anticipation.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2009-01-04, 21:46   Link #27
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The first episode is already out though
Old 2009-01-04, 21:48   Link #28
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The first episode is already out though
Oh it was? Darn it, must be slacking of these days
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2009-01-04, 21:55   Link #29
Stahlwolf
Doujinshi Traffiker

Location: The Drought-ridden Atlanta fending off water pirates
Send a message via AIM to Stahlwolf
ZETSUBOUSHITA!!!-

I just realized we'll have to wait for the DVDs to come out for the '~ Ni Wa Naisho' segments!!!

However.. we could wane the time with our predictions of what they might pun.
Spoiler for 'ni wa naisho' prediction:

Last edited by Stahlwolf; 2009-01-04 at 22:28.
Old 2009-01-04, 23:40   Link #30
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

For the most part, I have to say the first episode was satisfactory, receiving points "just because it's Marimite". The story is abbreviated to a greater extent than usual; we might as well catch up with the novels in a single cour at this pace (especially considering volumes 20+ have more "side stories" content).

Nonetheless, Yumi confronting Touko was very well done, and the ending was deliciously yurilicious.
Old 2009-01-05, 00:53   Link #31
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Man, I know this will shock some people, but I find it impossible to criticize this show because I love it so fucking much that I turn into this quivering blob that is utterly enthralled of there actually being a fourth season.

Aka I'm a huuuuuuuuge fanboy of this show and I can't wait to start blubbering about it over and over and over.

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-01-05, 02:47   Link #32
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

S4 banzai / ^ ^)/~
Old 2009-01-05, 04:49   Link #33
lotus7
Aria Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Man, I know this will shock some people, but I find it impossible to criticize this show because I love it so fucking much that I turn into this quivering blob that is utterly enthralled of there actually being a fourth season.

Aka I'm a huuuuuuuuge fanboy of this show and I can't wait to start blubbering about it over and over and over.

:P
Oh god, I can't think deny that I think fairly similarly.
Old 2009-01-05, 05:03   Link #34
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Moe rant
Sorry, had to snip it down.

The point here is simply that Marimite is originally shoujo, and even if you shove in original blushing scenes and all that jazz, that fact won't change. They may adjust the opening and ending themes to appeal to the seinen audience, but Marimite is still shoujo and shoujo doesn't run on moe, it uses different fuel. ARIA on the other hand is seinen.

That said, I agree in that especially Yumi sends me into fits of moeliciousness almost every time she appears on the screen.
Old 2009-01-05, 05:47   Link #35
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

These girls are almost accidentally moe, aren't they. I love it, in all honesty. That type of moe is so refreshing. The girls are cute because that's just how they are, not because some producer is trying to sell figurines or have success in Saimoe. And because it doesn't feel so obviously contrived, one can't help but find them even more moe.
Old 2009-01-05, 06:10   Link #36
Newhope

Touko chan

Nice starter episode and I hope they concentrate more on Touko and Yumi's relationship this season.
Old 2009-01-05, 06:38   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
That's what I thought. They weren't walking slowly at all.
The OP is insanely out of place, though you've got to let them have a little bit of fun around school from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
That said, I agree in that especially Yumi sends me into fits of moeliciousness almost every time she appears on the screen.
Along with her awesome silly facial expressions. They were on top form in this episode, just like the OVA's.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:33   Link #38
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
These girls are almost accidentally moe, aren't they. I love it, in all honesty. That type of moe is so refreshing. The girls are cute because that's just how they are, not because some producer is trying to sell figurines or have success in Saimoe. And because it doesn't feel so obviously contrived, one can't help but find them even more moe.
While that's true, Yumi's cuteness is practically a major plot element, so I wouldn't say that "nothing in the anime itself hinges on these girls being moe".
Anyway, I actually have no clue why the cuteness in Marimite doesn't feel contrived. I mean, it's not as if the setting is not very much contrived with the whole "garden for maidens" thing. Maybe it's exactly because of the setting's lack of realism? It's like some alternate reality where everybody say "gokigenyo" and many a student are naturally moe? Basically I think it has a lot to do with the moeness fitting the setting.

Old 2009-01-05, 08:29   Link #39
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
It was truly wondrous to have to Maria-Sama amongst us again. I never realized how much i missed this series till i watched episode 1 of the new season.

The OP was very different than the previous seasons with a somewhat upbeat pop feel. I dont feel it matched the theme of MgM. What happened to "walking slowly is preferred here"? I recognize they tried to do something a little different and i see that the main focus of the OP seems to be on Yumi, Yoshino, Shimako having fun around school. But i still prefer "Pastel Pure" to this new one.

The episode its self was pure win with Ueda Kana, Itou Miki, Koshimizu Ami and Kugimiya Rie voice acting showcasing how veteran they are to the industry just listening to them speak is a joy. Yumi as usual brightens up the world with her amazing array of funny faces and emotions worn on her sleeve. Her brother and her really do look like and the play was another very funny way to show just how similar they are of (Yuki didnt have choice ). Shimako look ungodly adorable in her Hein period clothing but then again i find Shimako almost as elegant as Sachiko. Speaking of Sachiko she was so playful this time around it took a while in the other seasons for her to thaw but when it comes to Yumi Sachiko is all smiles, she knows how to get Yumi to do what she wants with a "HAI ONEE-SAMA!!

I had forgotten about the issue concerning Kanako who also did a fantastic job in her role. But it seems its going to escalate in the next episode. We see her with 2 tickets to the play and an agonizing look on her face. The drama shall be oh so sweet

I didnt expect them to show or even hint at the speculation concerning Touko becoming Yumi's Petite Seour. But it seems its high gear all ready and im loving every min of it. Touko is such a great character and a real pleasure to watch. Notice how Sachiko asked Yumi to handle the drama club situation on her own. We all know Sachiko would have gotten better results but she sent Yumi. Could it be possible that even Sachiko seems the potential of these 2 becoming a pair. The way i see it Yumi and Touko complete each other for the what the other lacks the other has same as Yumi with Sachiko. Plus it would be nice to say keep it in the family.

Ending was well...............i think everyone has already commented on how suggestive it is. Much more suggestive than anything i have ever seen attached to the series. Very Yuri like i dont hate it but i wont say im exactly in favor of it either.

9/10 (OP forced me to remove point)

Last edited by Sinestra; 2009-01-05 at 13:39.
Old 2009-01-05, 12:10   Link #40
Shigan
Forever a Journey

I find it kind of funny that everyone's reacting more to the running in the OP than, say, this magically evolved teleportation skill of Yumi's xD.

But anyhoo, finally got my subtitles to work. I'm still very so so about Kanako's character but Touko is growing to be really likeable, her shrew nature balance really well to Yumi's naivety. I don't know if Yumi knows this, but she probably has one of the most lethal facial expressions in anime alltogether. You just -can't- turn someone like that down.

10/10 for episode 01. They're really not beating around the bush with the story.
Closed Thread