AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-11-06, 22:15   Link #1
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Surprise me

So, you can see my watched list in signature. It's not 100% complete, but probably covers at least 90% of the shows I've watched. A quick overview of the shows I scored a 9/10 (maybe 8s as well), should give you an idea of what types of things I enjoy.

I suspect I've long since reached the wall in terms of finding shows to watch (though I have to say that this is the strongest season in years in terms of number of shows I deem watchable), but every time I'm about to give into despair, I tend to dig up something enjoyable I had never watched before.

So, here's the challenge: Suggest to me a show to watch I haven't seen that I might enjoy.

Darth Vader cookies to anyone successful:

Edit: Shows that have been suggested I've never heard before, and look worth a try:

Brigadoon
Saiunkoku Monogatari
PetoPeto-san

Shows that I'll definitely try:

Mind Game

Enjoy those cookies, jedinat, flower, and SeijiSensei, and double cookies for gsilver.

I know there have to be more good shows I haven't heard of. Keep 'em coming.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-11-10 at 00:03.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 23:25   Link #2
jedinat

Good anime I don't see on your list:
Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Ichigo Mashimaro
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Kaleido Star
Kamichu!
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Rec
Brigadoon

That's without digging too deep on my part...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 23:33   Link #3
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Good anime I don't see on your list:
Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Ichigo Mashimaro
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Kaleido Star
Kamichu!
Ouran Koukou Host Club
Rec
Brigadoon

That's without digging too deep on my part...
Ah, I've seen:

Haibane Renmei. While I can appreciate it for what it is, I also think it was a complete snore-fest.

Same for Mushishi.

Is there any particular reason why I might enjoy Ichigo Mashimaro? Cute kids doing funny/sarcastic things = good. Cute kids doing cute things = hrm.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu sounds like it might be more than cute kids doing cute things, so I'll give it a look.

I've actually seen Kaleido Star. Great show.

Kamichu looks potentially interesting, but I suspect I'll have to be in the right mood to enjoy it ala Natsume Yujinchou.

I've seen Ouran Host Club. Moderately hilarious at times.

I've read the Rec manga. It was alright.

Brigadoon. More cute kids. I'm starting to see a trend. Sci-fi elements might make it watchable. I'll check it out.

For the record, I'm not terribly fond of cute little children. There needs to be some driving hook beyond that.

Keep 'em coming!
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-11-06 at 23:47.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:39   Link #4
Kirarakim

If you don't mind older anime, how about Rose of Versailles, it's a real classic.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:46   Link #5
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
If you don't mind older anime, how about Rose of Versailles, it's a real classic.
Woops. Seen it. And, yes, it's great.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:53   Link #6
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Is there any particular reason why I might enjoy Ichigo Mashimaro? Cute kids doing funny/sarcastic things = good. Cute kids doing cute things = hrm.
It's hilarious; one of the funniest anime I've seen.

Quote:
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu sounds like it might be more than cute kids doing cute things, so I'll give it a look.
It's even more hilarious.

Quote:
I've read the Rec manga. It was alright.
I found the manga to be absolutely horrible.

Quote:
Brigadoon. More cute kids. I'm starting to see a trend. Sci-fi elements might make it watchable. I'll check it out.
It's exterior is a bit deceiving... it can get pretty dark. It's a strange anime that goes places unexpected.... and kind of weird.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:57   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Ah, I've seen:
Not even close. This anime is absolutely crazy. It might be a hit or miss, but you should try the first episodes at least.

Quote:
It has strong lolicon undertones, but it's not bad and it is actually an action dramatic anime for the most part.

I don't see in your list

Nichijou and Azumanga Daioh

I see that you gave a 8 to Lucky Star so I suppose that you do enjoy pure comedy anime when they are well done.

Sure it's still about "cute girls" but not so much as doing cute things than as doing crazy hilarious stuff. These two titles are frequently recommended, Azumanga is still cherished and occasionally mentioned after more than 10 years, you should give it a try.

Also Muteki Kanban Musume is another absolutely hilarious anime, albeit not really famous.

Blame! is something you should try if you didn't already, since you apparently like sci-fi. Just keep in mind that this isn't really about a plot but about a particular atmosphere. It's pretty dark and dystopic. You gave 10 to Ergo Proxy so you should appreciate this.

You should definitely watch Jin Roh, and Perfect Blue.
If you like the latter, try other Satoshi Kon movies.

Also from Satoshi Kon: Paranoia Agent. I really loved it, but it's hard to guess whether you'd actually like it, when you gave a 2 to Lain
Well, I think Paranoia Agent is a lot more consistent if that's what you didn't like.

Is there a particular reason I don't see Nanoha in your list? I doubt you never heard about it before. Sure it's a mahou shoujo but it's geared to a male audience and it has a lot of sci-fi and simil-mecha stuff. It's pretty good in my opinion, just resist through the first few episodes.
If you gave 8 to Mai-Hime and 10 to Madoka, I can't see why not.

Try also Mermaid's forest. It's from Rumiko Takahashi but it's really different from her other works. It's more akin to Jigoku Shoujo and Musishi and it's well conceived.

Rozen Maiden. You might think it's all about cute dolls. Well, that's one of its main selling factors but that's really not just that. The main plot is about a game where the dolls need to fight each others so there's a lot of action and a lot of drama. It's surprisingly well done. I personally was prejudiced about it, but I'm really grateful I tried it.

Spice and Wolf You must have heard about it. Well, it's quite an enjoyable show. Personally I didn't like the second series as much as I liked the first, but there's a reason if it's so famous, beside the obvious waifu material.

Utawarerumono it's an anime based on a fantasy setting similar to feudal japan. It's for the most part centered around wars that the MC needs to fight. Sure it's based on an eroge, so there's really a lot of female characters, but the "harem" part has been reduced to the minimum so much that there's only two characters that openly express their love for the MC.

Lastly: did you really hate shana III that much? I admit I have a lot of difficulties understanding why so many people dislike it.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 03:18   Link #8
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

One upside of all this is it's forcing me to update my watched list.

Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou are both shows I've partially seen. They're both fine.

I haven't seen Ramen Fighter Miki, though now that you bring it up, it's a show I remember wanting to see. It somehow slipped off my radar.

I'll see if I can dig up Blame, though it's rare that I find shorts interesting, regardless of media (ie: print as well). The exception has usually almost always been comedy.

I've seen both Jin Roh and Perfect Blue. Both are shows I enjoyed, at least at the time they were released. Haven't seen Perfect Blue in years, but I remember the last time I saw Jin Roh within the last year or two, and wondering why I thought it was so awesome back when it came out. :/ Sometimes it's best not to ruin old memories.

I moderately enjoyed Paranoia Agent. Even if I thought Lain was up there with Akira as being the most overbilled anime ever.

Yes, I have somehow managed to skip Nanoha and all its incarnations completely. Maybe I'll give it a shot. You may have noticed a dearth of magical girl shows in my list.

I loved Mermaid Forest.

I've actually seen Rozen Maiden. That was a tough one to grade, as I hated the loli-dolls, but if I could ignore that aspect, it was a pretty good story.

Spice and Wolf is the first show I've seen that was missing from my list that surprised me, as it should have been there. I loved the first season. I felt, at the time, like I was its biggest (and only) fanboy. Second season, not so much. Edit: Nevermind. They are there. But MAL lists it in its Japanese name, rather than as Spice and Wolf. I knew I couldn't possibly have forgotten them.

I've seen Uta (which is what I shorten it to). I consider it bouncing between a 7 and an 8. It took me multiple tries to get into, as the beginning is anything but compelling.

As for Shana III, I suspect the long layoff between II and III contributed to me simply not being interested at all in the continuing story, which is why I dropped it. Maybe one day (week), I'll marathon I, II, and III to see if the material being fresh in mind makes me enjoy it more.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-07, 03:47   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Steam boy....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 03:49   Link #10
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Steam boy....
Woops. Seen it. I rate it a 7. As a huge steampunk fan, it galled me to give it that score, but it is what it is.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-07, 03:54   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Hadashi no Gen
Old 2012-11-07, 03:57   Link #12
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Hadashi no Gen
No, haven't seen Barefoot Gen, but that's largely due to having a friend who essentially told me the entire story blow by blow back in the early 90s. That was like his favorite anime ever. I generally don't enjoy watching things when I already know what's going to happen. Comedies tend to be the exception.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-07, 04:05   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
No, haven't seen Barefoot Gen, but that's largely due to having a friend who essentially told me the entire story blow by blow back in the early 90s. That was like his favorite anime ever. I generally don't enjoy watching things when I already know what's going to happen. Comedies tend to be the exception.
Personally I never watch it before but its in YT.. I'm planning to watch it soon if I have the time.... It interest me since its a WWII story about struggles and finding hope.
Old 2012-11-07, 04:27   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Please give Cross Game chance if you haven't yet.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2012-11-07 at 04:28. Reason: Whoops you've seen some of my suggestions already
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 05:02   Link #15
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

I don't see the Key trio in your list: Air, Kanon, and Clannad so perhaps you could try those?

True Tears and Tari Tari?
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 13:11   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I second REC and Hare+Guu. I have no idea what the REC manga was like, but the anime is pretty good and short. You can watch the whole thing in an evening. Hare+Guu is often hilarious. Also you really should watch Cross Game. It certainly deserved our Choice Award for Best Television Series of 2010.

Here are some others I didn't see on your list (in no particular order):

Saiunkoku Monogatari
Shion no Ou
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Aoi Bungaku
Mouryou no Hako
Hidamari Sketch
Hataraki Man
Bartender
AKB0048
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 13:12   Link #17
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

AKB0048
Very silly sci-fi idol series with some mecha and magical girl content. Your enjoyment of this should actually be independent of how much you like idols and AKB48, as I'm not an idol guy in the least but I really enjoyed this anime.

Kamichu
Has a lot of parallels with Natsume Yuujinchou by being a supernatural adventure anime based on Japanese folklore, but this one is heavier on the slice-of-life. The animation is exceptionally good for an anime of its nature.

I also second Brigadoon. That anime is-- unique.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed Kamichu was already mentioned. And SeijiSensei ninja'd me on AKB0048.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 01:54   Link #18
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I hate baseball. I've certainly heard plenty of good things about Cross Game....but I hate baseball. Now, I have enjoyed anime that involved baseball, but it's a rare thing. But, I'll think about it.

I detest Key, and have absolutely no idea why those three shows get the attention they do (actually I do, but I'll reign my inner cynic in), even throwing my own bias out the window. Thanks, though. :/

I've seen Bartender. Great show.

Hataraki Man was great as well, though I wish there'd been at least one more season. The end was...meh.

I tried watching Hidamari Sketch, and while I'm generally fond of 4-panel shows, it just didn't do anything for me.

AKB0048 is one of those shows I hate to admit I enjoyed. I probably subconsciously forgot to add it to my list.

Haven't seen Aoi Bungaku, but that's largely due to my general lack of interest in short stories.

I guess I assumed I had Nijuu Mensou no Musume on my list, but searching for its various titles came up empty. I enjoyed the first half (up until the heart-wrenching train episode). I thought the second half to be far weaker.

Hrm, I have no idea why I didn't finish Shion no Ou. I think it was because while I found the mystery aspect compelling, I didn't find any of the actual playing of Shogi interesting at all.

Saiunkoku Monogatari looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-09, 03:55   Link #19
andromeda0201

How about..

Basilisk ~Kouga Ninou Chou~ - 2 ninja factions battling each other to death

Shonen Onmyoji - shonen + a bit of drama, first few episodes are slow but it picks up

Mouryou no Hako - drama/mystery

Mononoke - A spin-off the medicine seller arc from Ayakashi Japanese classic horrors

Seto no Hanayome - boy gets forced into marriage to a mermaid yakuza

Victorian Romance Emma

Himitsu - Top Secret - - peering in the minds of dead people to solve mysteries, can be pretty episodic but a good watch nonetheless.

Shura no Toki - Follows the story of 3 generations, who have a distinctive fighting style. They face off legendary warriors.

Sword of the Stranger - excellent swordfights

....on a side note, it seems like you enjoy most Gonzo productions?

Last edited by andromeda0201; 2012-11-09 at 04:12.
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 08:18   Link #20
Siphine
The Dreamer

PLease.... Please..... tell me you forgot to put Rosario+Vampire up there if you didn't then I will seriously die and you dropped SAO why didn't you like it?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote