AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-07, 05:25   Link #261
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

i have a feeling that this has been asked before, but do you guys have any plans to put entire translated chapters or volumes in .pdf format?
Old 2006-05-07, 05:45   Link #262
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Someone did mention plans for .pdf conversion - our main problem was that as a Wiki project the chapters are up for constant editing and updating. PDF files will have to have "version xx as of [date]" to them - I can see .pdf files would be in demand but their readers would have to understand that there'll likely be another .pdf of the same chapters weeks/months later that's got the standardised editing guidelines applied to it.

So long as that's factored in, I don't see why we can't produce .pdf files - who was it who volunteered to do this again? *knows he could scroll back to check but currently is on another tight deadline*

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-05-07, 06:46   Link #263
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
Someone did mention plans for .pdf conversion - our main problem was that as a Wiki project the chapters are up for constant editing and updating. PDF files will have to have "version xx as of [date]" to them - I can see .pdf files would be in demand but their readers would have to understand that there'll likely be another .pdf of the same chapters weeks/months later that's got the standardised editing guidelines applied to it.

So long as that's factored in, I don't see why we can't produce .pdf files - who was it who volunteered to do this again? *knows he could scroll back to check but currently is on another tight deadline*
A useful function of a pdf file I can think of is that it can be used as a backup, in case some anti-Haruhi heretic decides to hack the whole wiki for whatever reason, just as they hacked this forum last December.
Old 2006-05-07, 08:59   Link #264
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningkid
nice work i manage to print it all off, looking at the thick pile now, just shows how much work u guys have put into it! thanks
wow. kudos.

I just copied it so i can read it off my PSP.

so now i can read the novel and watch the episodes on the go!

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-05-07 at 09:25.
Old 2006-05-07, 09:12   Link #265
Runningkid

omg !! y didnt i think of that, convert into .3GP and on my phone it goes . yea i used the school printer lol, it prints like 200 pages per minute hard bit was sneaking pass the teachers lol (sorry a bit off topic)
Old 2006-05-07, 09:28   Link #266
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Ah. don't you just love using school resources?

I remember when i told my homeroom teacher i was using the printer to print off a report Journal and instead printed off 50+ pages of Flame of Recca Scanlation,

Did i mention Black & white laserjet printers are prefect for manga?

Old 2006-05-07, 09:59   Link #267
Runningkid

yep love the school resources jsut look how thick it is!! thats vol 1 up to chapter 6, still got 7 to print.

Old 2006-05-07, 10:02   Link #268
ordnance11

Congratulations guys for finishing translating the 1st volume!

That line of Asahina in the epilogue:

"You can't have both at once"

is dammed funny!
Old 2006-05-07, 11:01   Link #269
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

lol using school resources = an act of Haruhiism, keep up the good work!

Edit: Oh and thanks for vol 1! I have volumes 2 - 7, but the volume 1 I ordered hasn't arrived so I couldn't start on the rest of the novels, now I can start some serious reading.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-08, 09:08   Link #270
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Wow, look at all the pages. You guys are true Haruhi-ists at actually printing those out.

I'm beginning to get confused and overwhelmed with all the discussion pages for every wiki there is on the wiki translation, they just seem scattered everywhere that I don't know where to post, besides here. Isn't there a way to create a neat and tidy forum for the wiki in the style of the AS forums? This way all the topics can be seen clearly.
Old 2006-05-08, 09:27   Link #271
ShadowrazoR
Unlimited Bishoujo Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Wow, look at all the pages. You guys are true Haruhi-ists at actually printing those out.

I'm beginning to get confused and overwhelmed with all the discussion pages for every wiki there is on the wiki translation, they just seem scattered everywhere that I don't know where to post, besides here. Isn't there a way to create a neat and tidy forum for the wiki in the style of the AS forums? This way all the topics can be seen clearly.
you could try creating a forum with one of those free forum providers. ipb or something like that. then put a link to the forum when you're done with it or something.
Old 2006-05-08, 11:55   Link #272
Akyra

Hmmm...this might have been answered, but are there any pictures in the real manga? Like with pictures and speech bubbles? Or they are pure novels?
Old 2006-05-08, 12:02   Link #273
Runningkid

this is actully the novel, but there is a manga as well (i think)
Old 2006-05-08, 13:53   Link #274
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

The original story of Suzumiya Haruhi was in a light novel.
This basically means a book with manga pictures now and again.

The original mangaka who did the illustration for the novel, is not doing the "new" manga but her style is evident in the animation and has influenced the new series.
Old 2006-05-08, 15:03   Link #275
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Think of those teen novel books with about 5 or 8 illustrations scattered throughout the book (or the old classics like the fancier LOTR books). What I like about the anime is that it seems to be doing a better job of capturing those drawings that the new manga appears to be :\
Old 2006-05-08, 15:25   Link #276
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle

I agree, we do need forums on there.

*pokes Onizuka-GTO and thelastguardian*

Can we do anything about this?
Old 2006-05-08, 16:15   Link #277
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

After seeing Julius Firefocht's post in ep6 thread, I changed Mikuru's line in the epilogue: "No, you can't. If Suzumiya-san sees this, it'll be troublesome. You can't have both at once!"

Based on the original Japanese which goes " だめ、だめです。こんなこと涼宮さんに見られたら、また同じ穴の二の舞です" (二の舞 means roughly 'repeating the same mistake') I changed it to "No, you can't. If Suzumiya-san sees this, the same thing will happen again!"

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-08, 16:16   Link #278
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
I agree, we do need forums on there.

*pokes Onizuka-GTO and thelastguardian*

Can we do anything about this?

er....I..er...
have no idea...

*pokes thelastguardian*

(^^; )
Old 2006-05-08, 18:04   Link #279
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Well, no real need for a new forum - we just need to figure out how to organise our Discussion pages. Everyone's posting everywhere at present - we just need to sort it out as if trying to fit it into forum threads, then figure out where in teh Wiki each 'thread' should go.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2006-05-09, 01:17   Link #280
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
Major edit done to chapter 4. You may look over the edits done in the discussion page.

Kinny Riddle: "No comment" should be "Classified information" instead, as the novel has the line 「禁則事項です」.
I'd translate 禁則事項です as "That's/It's a prohibited subject". It's far closer to the original meaning and tone than "classified information".

You see what I mean in my PM reply now?
Closed Thread