AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Shuffle! Memories Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 3 5.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 3.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 10.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 23.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 23.73%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 10.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 8.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 6.78%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.69%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-14, 19:24   Link #61
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Well, the misleading information might come from the fact that I don't believe there's anyone amongst the sane to comprehend that they're actually running the SAME season again [...] What do they seek to do? Remind us of it? Sell more DVDs of the same footage to people incomprehensible enough to actually buy them?

The only LOGICAL reason I see is that they thought they messed it up last time, but I doubt that's the case [...]
Well, logic and sanity aside, the motivation seems to be to retell the stories one girl at a time and sell them in "discounted" compilations, probably for people who couldn't afford to buy the original, expensive 12-disc set. "Reminding us of it" seems to be exactly the motivation behind "Memories". Episode 2 sheds more light on this... but I guess I'll wait for that thread to be created.
Old 2007-01-14, 20:11   Link #62
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

You mean they think their sales didn't go well because of the number of DVDs in the series (didn't know japanese otakus actually THOUGHT before they buy merchandise of a brand they like), so they buy more screentime, cram the series to half the episodes, with the introductory episodes being purely old footage, and try to tell more or less the same story in the remaining episodes? Unless they use purely new animation, I can't see how this will benefit them. If the rest of the series is anything like the introductory episode (reused footage until you puke), I don't see how they hope to sale more DVDs.

Thankfully, from the screenshots of ep 2 Riker posted, at least the OP and ED seem to hold some value, so maybe it won't be a total loss. Although if it's the same story, it already has a good load of flaws, and I don't trust them to fix them. And with half the episode count, I bet they've thrown out a lot of things, when the original animation actually needed more episodes.
Old 2007-01-14, 21:04   Link #63
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
You mean they think their sales didn't go well because of the number of DVDs in the series (didn't know japanese otakus actually THOUGHT before they buy merchandise of a brand they like), so they buy more screentime, cram the series to half the episodes, with the introductory episodes being purely old footage, and try to tell more or less the same story in the remaining episodes? Unless they use purely new animation, I can't see how this will benefit them. If the rest of the series is anything like the introductory episode (reused footage until you puke), I don't see how they hope to sale more DVDs.
No, the sales actually went very well, despite the disk count; I think the thousands of people who bought the DVDs, myself included, probably thought it was worth collecting. I don't regret it. But, based on what they've shown so far, I think there are two probable motivations for Memories: since the show originally aired only on a pay TV channel, some people may not have seen it; this gives them a chance to see what they missed by watching it in digest format, and then choose whether they'd like to buy the show in either full-length or digest form. The second motivation would be people who have seen and/or bought the original, and wouldn't mind watching/owning the series in digest form. There's also a third possible motivation, but we can discuss that in the episode 2 thread when it appears. Doesn't mean you'll like the show at all, or that those reasons are either good, bad, or indifferent, but that seems to me to be what they're up to, for better or worse.
Old 2007-01-14, 23:41   Link #64
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Hm. I rated the first ep a 4, not because I was under any pretensions as to what Shuffle! Memories was going to be (director's cut preacher, moi), but rather that I think it did a fairly poor job of introducing the series.

Sure, Rin's voice over wasn't bad apart from the rather irritating at times grammar - though this could easily be translation/etc. The feel of the voice over though, and it's lack of consistency with the actual visuals behind it... for instance, the café scene with Asa, when Kareha asks where Rin is as "aren't you still together?" and Asa gets a little embarassed, is coupled with Rin saying that they're merely friends and who knows where it'll go. If they wanted to keep some of the background scenes, they should have at least cut the dialogue out.

And the animation choices... honestly, watching this episode was like watching the Highlights of Shuffle! - Bad Moments Edition. Although it did have some nice bits and pieces, a lot of the shots chosen unfortunately illuminated some of the problems Shuffle! went through. And of course, the use of footage from different episodes showcased the inconsistency of the character designs that I didn't really notice in Shuffle! until I watched episodes out of order.

I'm hopeful that the rest of Memories is better, I really am. I enjoyed Shuffle! when I first saw it, and on the couple of times since that I've rewatched. But if the quality level of Memories doesn't take a sharp upturn, I fear I shall be rather disappointed.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-15, 00:41   Link #65
Codine

So is Memories a season 2 or just a remake?
Old 2007-01-15, 00:59   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its a "remake" but only in the sense that it is telling the same story from each girl's perspective in mini-arcs. Or at least that's what we think... they're being really unclear in some respects. There's supposed to be SOME new footage but mostly old footage re-edited and respliced.
Old 2007-01-15, 10:52   Link #67
Codine

thats stupid...i would have preferred a total remake than just flashbacks.
Old 2007-01-17, 17:59   Link #68
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

But that costs money. A lot.

About Ep 1
A nice ep, they introducted ALL the characters so it was not like "nothing new this suxxorz", I really liked the Kareha/Nadeshiko/Fathers/Itsuki parts.
I dont know what to expect but I guess this stupid fanboy will watch this until the end even if it starts sucking
Old 2007-01-17, 19:40   Link #69
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post
As said in the general thread, Ayako say that they're gonna sub Episode 1, and you know how fast they get things done, so they reckon they'll get it released in 24 hours after translating it.
And now Shuffle! veteran AnimeU has thrown their hat into the ring!
I saw their version of ep 1 out there.
Closed Thread