AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2006-12-29, 10:14   Link #801
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamme View Post
Anything can be ranked, though Kishimoto is the only one that can do it for us, we could only assume.
Some are obvious though, such as the Tsukiyomi that is definitely S-class
To clear sometthing, Bloodline Jutsus are not ranked, Ranking are used practically to define the Difficulty to learn the Jutsu, but those Jutsu that requires a special attribute to be performed, Attributes like Sharingan, Byakugan or Demons (like Kyuby or Shukaku), Have a “-” in the Databook to define they are Unranked.

The other Jutsus that belongs to certain clan but are not attached to a special bloodline like the Nara’s clan Kage Mane should be Ranked, but In Wikipedia they Say is Unranked, Does anyone know if this info in Wikipedia is accurate??? I’m almost sure its not.
Old 2006-12-29, 12:32   Link #802
cheese no koma
kita kita oyaji

thanks for clearing that up. It just hit me that the strength of BL jutsu depends on the user, like how hinata suck at gentle palm compare to neji.
cheese no koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 03:12   Link #803
kishinfoulux

So is it really Might Guy and not Maito Gai?

if it really is Might Guy that sounds beyond stupid...i was reading some naruto crap on wikipedia and it states the official data book lists his name as Might Guy, even though most fansubbers translate it as Maito Gai. Which is correct? Either way I'll continue to refer to him as Maito Gai because Might Guy sounds just plain stupid.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 03:26   Link #804
Rahan

I can't read japanese (lazy me never went further than the hiraganas), but I bet that whatever his name's japanese spelling is, both romanji transcriptions are correct.

So it's up to the translator in the end.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 03:41   Link #805
Kyuubi k?
Nine Tails

Send a message via AIM to Kyuubi k? Send a message via MSN to Kyuubi k?
Ok im new to the forum i gotta question in the frequently seen picture of the akatsuki members standing side by side(you shud know the one im talking about)
everyone is visible but the leader and another person who is this other person
And i forget most of the ppl's names do u think u could answer my questions?
Kyuubi k? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 04:03   Link #806
Rahan

The Akatsuki members are :

Uchiha Itachi (sharingan) and Kisame (shark guy with a huge blade).
The others are manga spoilers, so :

Spoiler:

Last edited by Rahan; 2006-12-30 at 04:15.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 06:11   Link #807
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I still go with Maito Gai I am inclined to go with the Mighty Guy mecha parody but I cant !!! Maito Guy way cooler sounding than mighty Guy .. Anyday
Old 2006-12-30, 12:30   Link #808
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi

Whats in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

His name is whatever we call him. Simple as that.
Suna no tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 15:20   Link #809
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

His name is Maito Gai.
It's a name, you don't translate name.

If we were to translate names Iruka would be Dolphin of the Sea, Ino would be called Wild Boar in the Mountain, Kakashi would be known as Field Scarecrow and the list goes on.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 15:45   Link #810
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to 0TaKu0 Send a message via MSN to 0TaKu0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
His name is Maito Gai.
It's a name, you don't translate name.

If we were to translate names Iruka would be Dolphin of the Sea, Ino would be called Wild Boar in the Mountain, Kakashi would be known as Field Scarecrow and the list goes on.
LMAO Hunter, that would explain why Iruka has that mark on his face.

Eh, eh! Notice the mark on his face :O. (Although I know its a cut, or it could be a birth mark I think his name and that characteristic are linked)

Hunter, don’t you think though that Japanese names are really cool because of that? I honestly think you can translate a Japanese name because it would tell you allot about the person and / or their characteristics (speaking of anime only of course, in reality names are given as babies and most people grow up nothing like their name)

Example: Uzumaki roughly translates to:

"U" means rabbits, "zu" means "figure", "maki" means rotation, and "Uzumaki" means spirals or swirls.

Haha now imagine if you took a bunch of rabbit patterns (just the face and ears, pure white) and put them in a circle.. what would you get? Something like this, (the ears would be all the pointy ends, and after adding the red swirl) Haha, this is something that belongs in Ramen and other Japanese cuisines, none the less it's Naruto's characteristic’s lots of spirals, and ramen lol.

Last edited by 0TaKu0; 2006-12-30 at 15:57.
0TaKu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 16:52   Link #811
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Actually Maito Gai is the Japanese pronounciaton of Mighty Guy Its just that we didnt know if wiki is to be belived .. Its not the name its like Kohee and Coffe

I lost faith in Wiki after they started literally translating Jutsus @_@
Old 2006-12-30, 17:20   Link #812
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Actually Maito Gai is the Japanese pronounciaton of Mighty Guy Its just that we didnt know if wiki is to be belived .. Its not the name its like Kohee and Coffe

I lost faith in Wiki after they started literally translating Jutsus @_@
This is what Wiki says about his name:

Might Guy is a fictional character in the anime and manga series Naruto. Fansubs have often dubbed his name as Maito Gai, a direct and unaltered transliteration of the character's name, but the second official Naruto data book (Hiden: Tō no Sho) states his name as Might Guy. The English version of the anime and manga both use Might Guy as well.

In the Shonen Jump magazine, Viz rendered Guy's name as "Mighty Guy" in some chapters; this was changed back to "Maito Gai" in most of the graphic novel stories. Later this was changed to "Might Guy" when the guidebooks were released.

The name "Might Guy" is a joke aimed at the "hot-headed hero" archetype that appears in many movies and anime. Guy's appearance and mannerisms are similar to Bruce Lee's.

Can anyone verify the accuracy of this, especially databook related and Jump related parts?
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 17:32   Link #813
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Viz rendered Guy's name as "Mighty Guy" in some chapters;
I wouldnt count on Viz's accuracy they have the most retarded bunch of translators I would take the Translators word than viz staff . It was the same Viz staff which coined obnoxious terms as Soul Cutter ( Huh soul can be Cut @__@ )
Old 2006-12-30, 20:08   Link #814
7thFonon
seventh

I just checked my Naruto GNT 3 booklet. It is pronounced "Maito". This is from the actual game booket so it is official.
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 20:49   Link #815
Redemption14

i got a few questions.

1. is guy stronger than kakashi, or was he bluffin.

2.after the timeskip, is neji stronger than lee?

3. is diedara a female or male?
Redemption14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 21:04   Link #816
7thFonon
seventh

1. Well you never know til they fight.... but most likely Kakashi would win.
2. Wasn't he always? Lee always talked about how he wanted to beat Neji so bad
3. In the manga, it is referred to a he. I still call it a she since it is a girls' name and looks like a girl. Plus Haku is cooler.
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 21:13   Link #817
Redemption14

1didint guy say himself hes stronger than kakashi before the exams?

2.reason im askin is that im pretty sure lee was stronger than neji durin the chuuning exmas after he let the 5th gates out, after the timeskip neji became jonin so im wonderin if neji is stronger now.

3. .. well i guess i kno now, thanks
Redemption14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 21:33   Link #818
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thFonon View Post
I just checked my Naruto GNT 3 booklet. It is pronounced "Maito". This is from the actual game booket so it is official.
Then its settled Maito Gai it is Dunno was it just me or else Calling Mighty Guy just sounded very korny that too this far ahead in the storyline
Old 2006-12-30, 21:37   Link #819
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption14 View Post
1. is guy stronger than kakashi, or was he bluffin.
Can't be certain...
The record between them pre-timeskip was Gai winning 50 to 49... however that record includes stuff like eating contests and games of rock, paper, sissors... So actual strength between the two is rather unknown
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-31, 01:37   Link #820
Sirch

Speaking of Gai...

What I've sorta wondered about Gai is if he has any ninjutsu. I've only seen him do a minimal amount of jutsu other than taijutsu (walking on water and dispelling the sleep genjutsu at the chuunin arena). Also, I think a few kicks/punches of his had the blue "chakra effect", but I dunno if that was added in the anime for effect or that he was using chakra to strengthen the hit. He never uses ninjutsu that I know of (other than the few times i mentioned) and even in one of the fillers to challenge Lee in his dojo he puts on a lame wig and mustache instead of using henge no jutsu (probably for comedy effect, but still).

The first time I watched the series I thought he was pretty much like Lee, where he had no ninjutsu or genjutsu capabilities, but I'm watching the series the whole way through yet again and I've noticed a few times he does. I'd imagine that the turtle that scolds Lee after the Sasuke and Lee fight was summoned by Gai now that I think about it...

Side note: Mighty Guy just sounds lame. I'd rather the translators leave the names alone (characters and techniques) and if they are going to translate the names literally then shouldn't they switch the names/surnames to the English style Guy Might and Lee Rock and etc.? Lee Rock sounds nowhere as cool as Rock Lee IMO.

Tags
q&a