AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-03-10, 07:48   Link #2141
toran
Kyonko Convert

Sorry for the double post but this came to mind.
I was thinking for a reason behind a war between TSAB and Earth and I decided to go with a simple disagreement that escalated to an all out war. I was thinking along the lines that Earth continued to develop physical type weapons when TSAB was trying to convince was trying to have it banned on Earth Via trade sanctions.
Spoiler for Background:

Last edited by toran; 2008-03-10 at 08:03. Reason: Found a little more time to finish when I had in mind
toran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 11:31   Link #2142
Jimmy C

6 years to reverse engineer a transdimensional cruiser? When a good deal of its systems are related to a phenomena that Earth science has allowance for (magic)? I don't think so.
United Earth government because of that? I'd put the probability of this on the low side.
Sanctions? Earth's economy is self-sustaining. Trade sanctions when we have no trade with other worlds is pointless.
The last thing I want to ask is, how badly does Earth need mages? Ships and shipboard weapons are one thing. But our infantry physical weapons today are powerful enough to deal with any mage under A-rank. And we have more infantry than they have mages. For higher ranks, we can throw anti-armor, area bombardment and even nuke weapons to take them out. And we have way more of those than they have over-A mages.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 11:45   Link #2143
Sam the Onion
Fading in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Inspired by Saint X and a weird chat room.

Spoiler for NSFW, I guess?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkedcat View Post
That was... interesting...
Spoiler for NSFW mini-tag:
*Hangs head in shame* Shouldn't have written that... but its only in fun... right?
Quote:
replied:

Spoiler for you should have written that. I shouldn't have written this:
*Insert facepalm.jpg*

More cakes?

A little note for Satashi. Please link the following page to my profile instead of manually putting every single scenario posting there. I've had surprisingly many people asking for easier way to read the scenarios instead of searching them from the page jungle.

Thank you.

And here are today's scenarios. I know, I know Lots of short scenarios.

Spoiler for Scenarios 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 & 54:

And with these scenarios, I have posted 1/5 of the fic. Yay!
Long fic is long

Here's something I'd like the people reading to take.

It's a snappoll!

Voting from 10 to 0. Zero being the worst and ten being the best.

'How well is Sam doing?'

Another one of these will come at the halfway point.
Sam the Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 12:14   Link #2144
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Onion View Post
*Insert facepalm.jpg*

More cakes?

A little note for Satashi. Please link the following page to my profile instead of manually putting every single scenario posting there. I've had surprisingly many people asking for easier way to read the scenarios instead of searching them from the page jungle.

Thank you.
Sure, if that's the way you want it, it shall be done!

more cake? Maybe later
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 12:35   Link #2145
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Cake... *Drool*
So I didn't actually get any AEC or SOL work done this weekend I was doing stuff for the short story I need to write for college and my Realm of Antioch stuff...

Though I feel like I wanna write but I dunno what about That and I have a dentist appointment today so I have barely any internet time because of nazi mom.
Old 2008-03-10, 13:01   Link #2146
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Nanoha x Raising Heart lemon!

http://snappoll.com/poll/257435.php

Choose your destiny!
Old 2008-03-10, 13:05   Link #2147
Sam the Onion
Fading in-between

Quote:

Choose your destiny!
The Outer Cadia has brough strong crack here

Stop before they get you totally.

Ps. My profile still hasn't changed
Sam the Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 13:33   Link #2148
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Wh- What.
You know what, I made it even . But this is
Old 2008-03-10, 13:37   Link #2149
krisslanza

It looks like even Satashi-sama is not immune to OC KHRACK corruption...
Old 2008-03-10, 13:55   Link #2150
toran
Kyonko Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
6 years to reverse engineer a transdimensional cruiser? When a good deal of its systems are related to a phenomena that Earth science has allowance for (magic)? I don't think so.
United Earth government because of that? I'd put the probability of this on the low side.
Sanctions? Earth's economy is self-sustaining. Trade sanctions when we have no trade with other worlds is pointless.
The last thing I want to ask is, how badly does Earth need mages? Ships and shipboard weapons are one thing. But our infantry physical weapons today are powerful enough to deal with any mage under A-rank. And we have more infantry than they have mages. For higher ranks, we can throw anti-armor, area bombardment and even nuke weapons to take them out. And we have way more of those than they have over-A mages.
>.< Yeah. I'm still working out the timelines. Now that I think back on it. The time would have to be stretched much futher. I wanted to set up a time period where Earth does have the ability to sustain trade.
What would be a more realistic development period for something as massive as reverse engineering technology from a Dimensional Cruiser?
Also take into account that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic. Who's to say that the technology behind a Dimensional Cruiser is all magic? It could be only the weapon system. The flight capabilities probably wouldn't be reversed engineered since they'd most likely be destroyed in the crash. I'm mainly hedging on the fact that the life support and partial analysis in the drive systems would be enough to get ideas to develop a self-sustaining environment of a Colony. From the experience building the colony and the ship yard, they can start development on the cruisers. They probably wouldn't have anything like the Arc-en-ciel, but battleship cannons adapted to fire in 0-G would work.
Magic would come in later since they really aren't paying attention to that aspect until after contact with TSAB.
(Sigh\ Sorry, I'm trying to keep this away from becoming a Science and Technology discussion, but it keeps coming back to it because of the details.)

Earth Unifications, unfortunately, have never really been depicted in anime too well. Robotech, or Macross if you'd like, formed one in fear of an alien invasion. Of course unification itself was resisted. Even TV shows such as Star Trek and the like do something similar. Of course Star Trek's united government was formed in the fall out of WWIII.
I was thinking more of a Global counsel designed to unite the governments of the Earth with potential of trade in the future. I'll probably make it so that the Unification wasn't formed uncontested, but that's something I'll probably work on later.

I'm still trying to balance power in this fic.
Anyway, with the issue of needing mages. One thing that has to be taken into account is that it is likely TSAB have encountered civilizations that have used Physical type weapons and have some way to combat this. After all, they must have used them at some point in time to have decided against it's use.
The problem with anti-armor I see is it's mobility. Higher Rank mages are much more maneuverable than current anti-armor weaponry which are usually designed for heavier and slower targets.

A Nuke is just overkill and a weapon even we are extremely reluctant, if not opposed, to the use of. The sheer damage potential vs fall out one of the reasons we don't use it.

Heh. Why is it so much harder to develop a fanfic fusion based on two different ideas when Anime can just take off with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi

Choose your destiny!
Eh?
Old 2008-03-10, 13:58   Link #2151
Gillian
sitting on NxF bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshLikeSnow View Post
Finally finished the chapter. It took a bit out of me lol

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4099527/4/

How about giving me some comments? Thanks guys :3
Spoiler for review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Cake... *Drool*
So I didn't actually get any AEC or SOL work done this weekend I was doing stuff for the short story I need to write for college and my Realm of Antioch stuff...

Though I feel like I wanna write but I dunno what about That and I have a dentist appointment today so I have barely any internet time because of nazi mom.
Somebody from Nanoha should go to the dentist?
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 14:02   Link #2152
krisslanza

Quote:
Anyway, with the issue of needing mages. One thing that has to be taken into account is that it is likely TSAB have encountered civilizations that have used Physical type weapons and have some way to combat this. After all, they must have used them at some point in time to have decided against it's use.
The problem with anti-armor I see is it's mobility. Higher Rank mages are much more maneuverable than current anti-armor weaponry which are usually designed for heavier and slower targets.
Some way to combat it? I don't understand that part too much. The barriers themselves could probably withstand a ton of bullets before they'd even so much as crack (Particularly from a powerful mage) and even if you shot a mage without their barrier up the barrier jacket would take the hit.

Depends on the kind of anti-armor maybe. A high powered sniper rifle would probably work pretty well as long as the mage doesn't get a barrier up in time.
Old 2008-03-10, 14:44   Link #2153
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:

Choose your destiny!
?!!! NANI KORE?!!!
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 14:45   Link #2154
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Choose your destiny!
Curiosity... burning... must... see...
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 15:50   Link #2155
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Choose your destiny!

Uh... oh... I don't understand how this works
Old 2008-03-10, 15:55   Link #2156
AshLikeSnow
potato
*Author

Send a message via AIM to AshLikeSnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by toran View Post
>.< Yeah. I'm still working out the timelines. Now that I think back on it. The time would have to be stretched much futher. I wanted to set up a time period where Earth does have the ability to sustain trade.
What would be a more realistic development period for something as massive as reverse engineering technology from a Dimensional Cruiser?
Also take into account that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic. Who's to say that the technology behind a Dimensional Cruiser is all magic? It could be only the weapon system. The flight capabilities probably wouldn't be reversed engineered since they'd most likely be destroyed in the crash. I'm mainly hedging on the fact that the life support and partial analysis in the drive systems would be enough to get ideas to develop a self-sustaining environment of a Colony. From the experience building the colony and the ship yard, they can start development on the cruisers. They probably wouldn't have anything like the Arc-en-ciel, but battleship cannons adapted to fire in 0-G would work.
Magic would come in later since they really aren't paying attention to that aspect until after contact with TSAB.
(Sigh\ Sorry, I'm trying to keep this away from becoming a Science and Technology discussion, but it keeps coming back to it because of the details.)

Earth Unifications, unfortunately, have never really been depicted in anime too well. Robotech, or Macross if you'd like, formed one in fear of an alien invasion. Of course unification itself was resisted. Even TV shows such as Star Trek and the like do something similar. Of course Star Trek's united government was formed in the fall out of WWIII.
I was thinking more of a Global counsel designed to unite the governments of the Earth with potential of trade in the future. I'll probably make it so that the Unification wasn't formed uncontested, but that's something I'll probably work on later.

A Nuke is just overkill and a weapon even we are extremely reluctant, if not opposed, to the use of. The sheer damage potential vs fall out one of the reasons we don't use it.

Heh. Why is it so much harder to develop a fanfic fusion based on two different ideas when Anime can just take off with it?
I think that considering the level of sophistication of TSAB technology compared to Eart's, an Interdimensional Cruiser (read: one that jumps between dimensions) would in most probability take at least a decade to properly analyse the material, the machine mechanics as well as the physics behind it (not to mention the magical aspect if that's how it's propelled). The possibility that the cruiser doesn't use fossil fuels to be propelled would also be high considering the advancement of the Mid-Childan society, so I think Earth would have a hard time finding an alternate energy source for it, if the Cruiser happens to be using something which can't be obtained on Earth.

I think what you said about analysing the life support system to create a new colony is a good idea, but I just wanted to mention that building a colony would require a fair bit of materials which we may not currently be able to provide. Perhaps something along the lines of mining it from Mars? Iron that is.

And I agree with that aspect about unification of the Earth counsels not forming uncontested. It just doesn't seem plausible at this point for them to unite without a significant goal to override each of their own (Lol. GUndam 00)

Not exactly sure how you would balance power though admittedly, since we've all seen how mages are able to deflect physical attacks using magic shields, which leads to the assumption that most physical weaponry could be nulled with a strong enough shield. But then again, you might be right since we've never seen a mage try to go up against something as strong as a bomb. :x
AshLikeSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 17:58   Link #2157
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Onion View Post

Ps. My profile still hasn't changed
I was at work >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
It looks like even Satashi-sama is not immune to OC KHRACK corruption...
My defenses were shot down T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by toran View Post
Eh?
Random poll for khrack idea from the OC people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
?!!! NANI KORE?!!!
It's a poll, silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Curiosity... burning... must... see...
You already got a piece of her, now you want more? greedy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post

Uh... oh... I don't understand how this works
Click the option you want, click submit. can only vote once.
Old 2008-03-10, 18:06   Link #2158
krisslanza

Satashi-sama should've upped her Evade. Should've Vanished and Stealthed out!
Old 2008-03-10, 18:14   Link #2159
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
You already got a piece of her, now you want more? greedy!
Oh yes, I got a taste allright *licks lips* and you know what they say, once you begin, you only want more.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-10, 18:24   Link #2160
toran
Kyonko Convert

I don't know how half the people over in the OC thread can handle the post floods. But I can see how it can suck you in and drop your defenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshLikeSnow
I think that considering the level of sophistication of TSAB technology compared to Eart's, an Interdimensional Cruiser (read: one that jumps between dimensions) would in most probability take at least a decade to properly analyse the material, the machine mechanics as well as the physics behind it (not to mention the magical aspect if that's how it's propelled). The possibility that the cruiser doesn't use fossil fuels to be propelled would also be high considering the advancement of the Mid-Childan society, so I think Earth would have a hard time finding an alternate energy source for it, if the Cruiser happens to be using something which can't be obtained on Earth.

I think what you said about analysing the life support system to create a new colony is a good idea, but I just wanted to mention that building a colony would require a fair bit of materials which we may not currently be able to provide. Perhaps something along the lines of mining it from Mars? Iron that is.

And I agree with that aspect about unification of the Earth counsels not forming uncontested. It just doesn't seem plausible at this point for them to unite without a significant goal to override each of their own (Lol. GUndam 00)

Not exactly sure how you would balance power though admittedly, since we've all seen how mages are able to deflect physical attacks using magic shields, which leads to the assumption that most physical weaponry could be nulled with a strong enough shield. But then again, you might be right since we've never seen a mage try to go up against something as strong as a bomb. :x
Well. Considering Earth's Technology level, I would have to say the Drive Technology would be the last thing to be truly replicated. I guess I was thinking of a small Colony at first. Enough to get a foot hold into space and attempt to develop ships to find and transport materials from new sources. I guess trade agreements between TSAB and Earth could be done in exchange of materials.

I was also thinking this story could take place several decades into the future, where interplanetary travel is possible, just very long. I.E. Nexus: Jupiter Incident, where travel between Earth and Jupiter takes 7 months using conventional drives or fusion drives. That way mining on other planets within system are possible, making it more likely that there are ample materials for creation of Colonies.
Life Support systems would be developed, but not to the level of TSAB space craft and the discovery of the Cruiser advances Earth's Technology a quite a bit.
Dimensional Travel won't be possible since the ship's dimensional Drive was almost completely destroyed in the crash. Only the conventional drives would be intact enough to be studied. I'm debating whether or not Earth would find the ship's Power Source. If they did, It would probably take a few decades to figure it out without some sort of reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza
Some way to combat it? I don't understand that part too much. The barriers themselves could probably withstand a ton of bullets before they'd even so much as crack (Particularly from a powerful mage) and even if you shot a mage without their barrier up the barrier jacket would take the hit.

Depends on the kind of anti-armor maybe. A high powered sniper rifle would probably work pretty well as long as the mage doesn't get a barrier up in time.
I meant in tactics wise and having some idea of the limitations physical weapons have. I would say an average mage with a barrier could hold off a barrage from maybe a single soldier, but overtime the mage would tire out while the soldier would stay fresh since they didn't use any of their own energy to attack the mage.

Regarding the Sniper Rifle as anti-armor, I.e. .50 Caliber Sniper Rifles. I agree, unless the mage can summon a shield strong enough, their barrier jacket wouldn't be able to stop a shot from a long range sniper.

Last edited by toran; 2008-03-10 at 18:43. Reason: I really should figure out exactly what I want to post before I post. >.<

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha