AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-10, 16:11   Link #1
shonosuke

should I continue watching minami-ke/bacanno?

Just watched the first episode of both and bacanno seems to be quite complicated and boring and minami-ke is kind of boring
Old 2008-02-10, 16:35   Link #2
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonosuke View Post
Just watched the first episode of both and bacanno seems to be quite complicated and boring and minami-ke is kind of boring
You shouldn't judge an anime by its first episode. If people did, no one would be watching Naruto (which would be a good thing), and everyone would be watching H2O: Footprints in the Sand.
Minami-ke probably gets better, as I don't perfectly recall, but I believe I also didn't like the first episode much. I'm not sure about Baccano!, but I've heard it was a great series, and if it's complicated, then you just have to thinkmoar.
Old 2008-02-10, 16:36   Link #3
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I dropped Minami-ke after the fifth episode. It started out slow and got slower. Then out of curiosity due to the internet fandom, I watched episode 6. I dropped it one episode too soon! It's almost like a different show from episode 6 on (with the exception of one episode afterward). The timing is far better, the plot more hilarious, and Kana isn't so annoyingly stupid.

I can't say if you'll have the same experience, but that's how I felt.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-02-10, 18:08   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I stopped watching Baccano! after the first episode, but when I tried again I discovered it was one of the best series I saw last year. The storytelling character of the first episode is quite unlike the rest of the show. I'm rewatching it now and enjoying it even more. Don't be put off by Issac and Miria, either. They'll grow on you.
Old 2008-02-10, 18:53   Link #5
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Baccano! is one of the greatest anime ever created. Period. Not watching it is like a sin. I also almost dropped minami-ke after 1 ep but it gets better by ep 2.
Old 2008-02-10, 19:42   Link #6
Troilism

DON'T DROP BACCANO!

Seriously...you NEED to be able to pay attention though. The first part of episode 1 is a turnoff though but once you get passed it the series gets really good. You will understand ep 1 after you watch the whole series.

Make sure you pay attention to dates and characters though so you can understand the plot.
Old 2008-02-10, 20:15   Link #7
gh0stmice
*Artist

wow i really didn't like baccano that much.....thou i really enjoyed issac and maria the rest was just a boring bloodfest....

the show reminds me of the "quinten tarantino"(not sure spelling) films....well a crappy anime version....

but for some reason people love it....so it all comes down to personal prefrence....i know alot of people who hated elfen lied(extremely debated anime) and i loved it
Old 2008-02-11, 11:13   Link #8
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
if you cant handle whinny sissy wuss crying more than shinji (evangelion), if you cant handle annoying obnoxiously dumb female character with an even more annoying high voice (and i m not even mentioning her clueless oblivious boyfriend) drop bacano immediatly.
Baccano appealed me at the begining it has a strong story and a lot of potential but those characters made me quit, they just wasted and ruined the show, all the rest of the cast was good i wish i could just read the story rather than suffer from watching those characters on a screen.

Minnami-ke is strange it a show i really enjoy but i cant watch more than 1 episode at a time.
Old 2008-02-11, 11:52   Link #9
Frans

For me, Baccano overall story is very good. The biggest problem I have with the anime is that the story keeps jumping, and sometimes it jumps rather abruptly. When I watch something build up and then it goes to another story, that throws me off. Only about halfway of the anime (the one with the boat setting) it start to get interesting for me.
And I like Isaac and Miria
Old 2008-02-11, 17:10   Link #10
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
if you cant handle whinny sissy wuss crying more than shinji (evangelion), if you cant handle annoying obnoxiously dumb female character with an even more annoying high voice (and i m not even mentioning her clueless oblivious boyfriend) drop bacano immediatly.
Baccano appealed me at the begining it has a strong story and a lot of potential but those characters made me quit, they just wasted and ruined the show, all the rest of the cast was good i wish i could just read the story rather than suffer from watching those characters on a screen.

Minnami-ke is strange it a show i really enjoy but i cant watch more than 1 episode at a time.
This is the single most ignorant post I've ever read, and Jacuzzi ends up being one of the most manly characters around.
Old 2008-02-11, 17:40   Link #11
ThoHell

BACCANO, I can't say much about because I never really even started watching it even though I downloaded it.

Minami-ke on the other hand I loved. Great series, each episode is different as if it's a completely different show. It's just comedy and well done too, it's not like a story or anything. If you want a story type of thing with character development then season 2 would do for you, but season 1 wouldn't.
Old 2008-02-11, 22:34   Link #12
Saffire

I may be echoing many people who've already posted, but drop Baccano! and you're missing something special. I don't have many anime I'd give a ten to, but Baccano! is one of them. That's just my opinion, however, but I have yet to see somebody who doesn't recognize it for what it is: greatness. Overlooked greatness, at that.
Old 2008-02-12, 04:53   Link #13
AnimeFangirl

I haven't tried Baccano, but I'm with the rest of the crew that thought Minami-ke was boring in the beginning but kept watching it on and off and came to like it. I think the turning point was Mako-chan, plus the reduced focus on Chiaki. It's not the greatest show on the planet, but it's pretty enjoyable. Worth a watch.
Old 2008-02-12, 05:49   Link #14
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
This is the single most ignorant post I've ever read, and Jacuzzi ends up being one of the most manly characters around.
who cares if he finnaly manned up, i couldnt stand him, his wussiness as well as miria high piched voice (and stupidity) made me quit watching the show (eps 6 or 7 iirc). 11 episodes of frustration for 1 of awsomness isnt a good enougth ration for me.
props to him for finnaly stopping to cry like a 3 years old but i m couldnt bear him for more than 3 episodes. hearing a wuss is far worst than reading one in a book hence why i said that i d rather read the story than watch it.
if the ratio between enjoyement and frustration isnt possitive i stop watching the show.
The story was good, some of the characters were very good (ladd & co) but i m not masochist enought to suckup and deal with miria & jacuzzi wich is a shame cause the plot and the way the story was revealed was extremely interresting. it was the first time that 2 characters caused me to stop watching a show and i have a very high tolerance toward annoying characters, hell i dont even dislike Shinji from Evangelion.
Old 2008-02-12, 06:17   Link #15
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
who cares if he finnaly manned up, i couldnt stand him, his wussiness as well as miria high piched voice (and stupidity) made me quit watching the show (eps 6 or 7 iirc). 11 episodes of frustration for 1 of awsomness isnt a good enougth ration for me.
props to him for finnaly stopping to cry like a 3 years old but i m couldnt bear him for more than 3 episodes. hearing a wuss is far worst than reading one in a book hence why i said that i d rather read the story than watch it.
if the ratio between enjoyement and frustration isnt possitive i stop watching the show.
The story was good, some of the characters were very good (ladd & co) but i m not masochist enought to suckup and deal with miria & jacuzzi wich is a shame cause the plot and the way the story was revealed was extremely interresting. it was the first time that 2 characters caused me to stop watching a show and i have a very high tolerance toward annoying characters, hell i dont even dislike Shinji from Evangelion.
Jacuzzi mans up halfway through the series and continue to be bold throughout, going so far as to be totally awesome and even get a scene where he makes out with his woman before going into fierce battle.

And also, I ought to congratulate you on being the only person I've ever heard of who dislikes Maria. She and and Isaac are one of anime history's greatest duos!
Old 2008-02-12, 09:39   Link #16
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Minami-ke is awesome.

Especially Hosaka.
Old 2008-02-12, 10:16   Link #17
Troilism

Quote:
That's his character...you can't expect everyone to be the same kind of "tough" guy as you want them to be. To each his own though, I am not going to tell you what you like and shit.
Old 2008-02-12, 21:07   Link #18
Saffire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
J

And also, I ought to congratulate you on being the only person I've ever heard of who dislikes Maria. She and and Isaac are one of anime history's greatest duos!
Ditto. Miria's voice did annoy me at first, but upon watching it, I got used to it and it became part of her character. I actually didn't like Miria/Issac much at the start of the series, I was just like "They are just a bunch of stupid goofballs", but by the end scene, I was just like "They are an awesome pair of characters." Jacuzzi was something, too. So he's a bit of a wussy, so what? I think a lot of people would have freaked out upon seeing the stuff he saw. It's just that the main cast of characters aren't as bothered by that due to how they live. Mafia, etc. And hey, Jacuzzi is an awesome guy who really proves he's worth something in the end. I was cheering for the guy.

Still, I'd try to finish a series before you make final decisions on how annoying/sucky/etc. a character is. In many anime, the characters undergo a change (read: character development), and become more iikeable (or less) from what happens during the anime's episode span. First impressions are all well and good, but it's the impressions you have for the characters at the end of the show that are most important.
Old 2008-02-13, 06:49   Link #19
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Minami-ke is awesome.

Especially Hosaka.
Hosaka was the worst part for me. His gimmick was old 5 minutes after he appeared and he just wouldn't go away. Same with Touma's brothers.
Old 2008-02-13, 10:43   Link #20
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
My personal experience with Minami-ke was that I didn't regret seeing it, but it wasn't really the best anime of the season. If you don't have a comedy in your current slot, then by any means watch it!
Closed Thread