AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-06-24, 18:05   Link #4821
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I think this is why I prefer the Chimera arc over the Spider arc. It had an actual enemy and villain was developed rather than ignored
Old 2014-06-24, 18:25   Link #4822
MCAL

These are the episodes that really tell you that Hunter x Hunter is better then every single shounen out here. To have the most emotional moment come to the King of all people is truly surprising. Madhouse did an excellent job. I wouldn't change a single scene.

Next week, this arc will be over. What a ride its been. This arc will go down as one of the most morally complex arcs in shounen history in my book.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 19:18   Link #4823
Ryuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Well, Ants aren't that different really - if there is a difference, it's that they're still comparatively naive. Had they centuries to develop their own culture, science and technology they would become much more of a threat, probably. The point being here, they're horrible to humans, but humans are the next ring in the food chain to them, just like the animals that are shown slaughtered and hanging in the initial sequence are to humans. Amongst themselves they are... uhm... dunno really if they're better than humans, they have stuck together more but that's obviously because they both are the underdog and still have some residual hive mentality. But we've seen ants deceiving each other, lying, betraying, killing, and so on. The only true difference is that, civilization wise, this was like tricking a child: humanity sent a few of its warriors, almost as an afterthought, and beheaded the whole species, with an underhanded trick. It's the superior age and "malice" of mankind that allowed it to beat the ants, who were new to this game.
When you put it like that, I think it's fitting that Netero and the King fought. The King was the representative of a collective species that work together towards one goal (though this changed) while Netero was the representative of the best humanity had to offer and could achieve as an individual, as well as the chairman of the Association, a group defined by self interest, from their goals to the Nen they employ in order to achieve them. A collective species most likely wouldn't use weapons like the Rose against each other because it'd be harmful for their kind, whereas humans are more individualistic. We can work together and divide whenever it suits us.

And yeah, the Ants lost because, like you said, humanity simply had more experience being human. Especially Netero, he's lived long enough. He knows how the world works.

Spoiler for spoilers:

EDIT: sorry for not putting this ep discussion in spoilers.

Last edited by Ryuga; 2014-06-24 at 20:30.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 02:07   Link #4824
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I uh, liked this episode.

If only Meruem had this development sooner, he may have survived. It looks like this isnt the end to his race, however.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 03:32   Link #4825
noktown

Damn,this episode made me cry,been a while...

This arc had everything in it and I loved every moment.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 04:57   Link #4826
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

For anyone who wants to revisit the Ending Credits they did for the episode, I uploaded it here:

It doesn't have the post ending credits sequence, but... Yeah.

Anyways, it's been awhile since I've posted in one of these threads, probably longer for this particular thread (if at all). However, I have to say that was beautiful way to end the episode. Honestly, I never really thought a shonen series could make me cry like it did, but this one succeeded it doing so.

Spoiler:

Ultimately, in the end, I really enjoyed this arc. With all the twist, turns, emotions that would be had and the questioning of who really is the bad guy in the end, it all adds up as a spectacular story. Something I don't really see very often a Shonen, something targeted younger, really dare to trend those grounds. I kinda wonder if Yoshihiro Togashi can top this arc at all.

I also wonder if the next arc will be the last one in the anime. I guess we'll find out.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 06:13   Link #4827
ninja_pintu

Well personally for me the chimera arc was the best arc of HxH and one of the best arcs of shounen anime. Loved every moment of it. Well, they overdid the narrator yes, but even then, chimera arc made HxH one of my favorite anime.
Old 2014-06-25, 09:54   Link #4828
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

oh man, you hitting me with the feels w/ that video ChibiGoku ;-;
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 10:11   Link #4829
Clarste
Human

I find it interesting that the only people who were left happy by this conclusion are a handful of dead people. Netero, Pitou, Komugi, and the King.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 10:44   Link #4830
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This arc dragged on for way too long, but it was all worth it for the final scene. Who would have thought the king would provide us with the most moving scene in all of the series back when he was first introduced? Certainly not me.

Goodbye, narrator. I for one will not miss you. You ruined every scene you were in. If you look back, you'll notice that all of the best episodes were the ones with the least amount of narration.
Old 2014-06-25, 10:56   Link #4831
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

ive always thouhgt that the anime team did somewhat of an easter egg with the first ending of the series, first of all its out of tone for the whole other batch endings the series had, and the lyrics seem a lot more fit for this arc especially the english ver, hell the pv would work if you just substitute the characters for the ones in the anime.

Old 2014-06-25, 11:00   Link #4832
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 135-
Spoiler for part 1:

---
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 17:22   Link #4833
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Now that you mention it, Gon really messed up. He lost all his life to obtain a victory. He could write a book titled "How to waste your life in one episode."

And now Killua has to deal with his best friend's fate
Old 2014-06-25, 17:26   Link #4834
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

As far as I'm concerned, Togashi all but buried the "shounen fighter" genre with this arc.
Old 2014-06-25, 21:06   Link #4835
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
This is still Hunter x Hunter right?

Sure the final bit was impactful and had drama, but wow, I'm feeling really let down by this show.

Gon's fight with Pito was hardly a fight. And the kings (and Neto's )last fight was just him getting slapped by a giant Buddha.

HxH is the shonen anime that dares to be different, but I don't think it always works.
Yeah, kind of feel that way. The arc had a pretty strong start to it, but don't feel it carried through that well.

In the end sacrificed action for the sake of telling the story. Story turned out fine and had impact, but it came at a price to be sure.
Old 2014-06-25, 23:23   Link #4836
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Wow, wow. I'm reminded on why I continue to watch anime despite all the bullshit that happens. This episode feels anticlimactic, but that's by design. It's like the rug of expectations has been yanked out beneath me. There was all that anticipation but the story flew through and ended before I had even realized it, the problem was solved before I could even address it, and the answer was given before I even asked the question. That is storytelling-- not some pretentious "figure it out on your own" shit.

And in the dying King's eyes, he lost to humanity despite being superior in every way. Much like in a sense that Komugi represented humanity to them. The first that could defy him and not shit their pants in terror but with that strange factor he never could grasp until now. That little girl who he could crush like an insect, yet brought fight after fight and yearned to get better. It's unfortunate that all the carnage and destruction had to take place before he had his epiphany. By absorbing humans, they had taken their unlimited cruelty and yet at the same time the desire to be more than oneself. And the King who had been destined to destroy all of creation and feast upon it had reached a certain level of pride and humility that anyone, ant or human could never hope to achieve. He was indeed, the ultimate being and it all came together in such a twisted way. And did I mention the ever increasing drop into the silence that pervaded through the episode?

We can't coexist together, but...

Good Night, Emperor Mereum.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-06-25 at 23:35.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 07:08   Link #4837
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The first few minutes between Palm and Meruem felt a little dragged out and unnecessary but man those last minutes between Meruem and Komugi was just soul crushing. Overall a near perfect conclusion to what I consider to be Hunter x Hunter's best arc. There have been a fair few bumps along the way and a lot of YMMV but otherwise I've enjoyed this arc tremendously. If I were to rate this arc alone then it would probably be a solid 8.5/10. It'll be interesting to see if Togashi and Madhouse can top this in the next arc, but I can imagine that it'll be off to a good start considering the focus will be shifting to Gon and Killua.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 08:03   Link #4838
hamazura
whatever

7/10
best ending but not best arc. dragged too long + the narator is fvking annoying. viewers are not that stupid to not know knuckle is scared, and that narrator explain everything like an essay in a thesis.
Old 2014-06-26, 14:55   Link #4839
revive4563

I think the method of scoring by deducting points is not suitable to enjoy the mass subculture like manga, anime.
Togashi became winner about this arc, when he found the ending like that. It was shining and memorable. So togashi is winner.

Well, though I think the management of most of power games themselves in this arc were perfect, as one of the shounen battle series.

btw Narration was not the matter for me.
After all, they were necessary because it was a story of very short span. That's all.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 15:46   Link #4840
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuga View Post
When you put it like that, I think it's fitting that Netero and the King fought. The King was the representative of a collective species that work together towards one goal (though this changed) while Netero was the representative of the best humanity had to offer and could achieve as an individual, as well as the chairman of the Association, a group defined by self interest, from their goals to the Nen they employ in order to achieve them. A collective species most likely wouldn't use weapons like the Rose against each other because it'd be harmful for their kind, whereas humans are more individualistic. We can work together and divide whenever it suits us.

And yeah, the Ants lost because, like you said, humanity simply had more experience being human. Especially Netero, he's lived long enough. He knows how the world works.
The king and his guards killed other ants on a whim. And part of humanity's success is due to ants betraying their kind or working at cross purposes. And splendid teamwork from Team Humanity.

And ultimately, humanity won because their force multiplier was good enough. If the ants had come earlier and the tech hadn't existed, they'd have tried dynamite or some shit. And it'd have failed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen