Old 2009-02-27, 23:32   Link #181
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyamoto Shin View Post
just who or what is Marion??...controlled by the soul??...I don't really understand this EXAM System... Any Scientific explanation here??...thanks In Advance...
The EXAM system is a mobile suit system designed to give normal pilots newtype abilities. The system was linked to a newtype, Marion, who was held in what was essentially a state of suspended animation while her mind was connected to the mobile suits that took advantage of the system. By having the suit and pilot connected to a newtype, the system somewhat replicates a newtype's abilities in combat. The system was well known for going haywire very frequently, mainly because of Marion's influence upon it.

And I've been thinking about the whole air/land/whatever discussion.

In the Original series, the Gundam was able to leap a huge distance into the air, enough to make it able to fight against Dopp fighters. Given this, any mobile suit like the Nu or Sazabi has more than enough power to make equally big jumps, making it somewhat capable of air combat. Does it really need to flat-out fly to make it useful...?

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 23:50   Link #182
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Leaping up to swat enemies out of the sky is hardly the same as engaging them from the air, where you can match your enemies in the realm of maneuverability. The Gundam was more or less performing anti-air duty against Dopps, which were performing low level ground attacks on the White Base. Powered jumps like that are useful in such regard, but if you're going up against high-altitude or high speed bombers and attack aircraft, or want to secure air superiority it'd be best to have your own flying machines to counter them, since the limitation of powered jumps is that once you jump you're basically limited in your aerial maneuvering options when you're airborne as opposed to a specially designed aircraft.

For the purposed of swatting Dopps, the Gundam's powered jumps are more than useful, though for more advanced aircraft (or flying MS) you're gonna need a dedicated air combat capability to counter them.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 05:43   Link #183
Dan the Man
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Leaping up to swat enemies out of the sky is hardly the same as engaging them from the air, where you can match your enemies in the realm of maneuverability. The Gundam was more or less performing anti-air duty against Dopps, which were performing low level ground attacks on the White Base. Powered jumps like that are useful in such regard, but if you're going up against high-altitude or high speed bombers and attack aircraft, or want to secure air superiority it'd be best to have your own flying machines to counter them, since the limitation of powered jumps is that once you jump you're basically limited in your aerial maneuvering options when you're airborne as opposed to a specially designed aircraft.

For the purposed of swatting Dopps, the Gundam's powered jumps are more than useful, though for more advanced aircraft (or flying MS) you're gonna need a dedicated air combat capability to counter them.

Well, that's where add-ons would enter. If you don't have dedicated aircraft to use, slap on some extra parts to make what you have fly! Think of the Gouf Flight Type, not mentioning it's horrible design. That, and the aircraft the Gouf stood on to fly (Dowdai, I think.) Or adding boosters onto a Core Fighter, addng wings to a Leo, etc. etc.

Now, you could also have transformable MS, like the Zeta Gundam or Asshimar, which are easily capable of atmospheric flight.

Old 2009-02-28, 09:36   Link #184
gundam rider

i think this question is a bit of a goof: how did the standard mobile suits manage to channel their energy source to their handheld weapons? (with out any plugs,cables,wires,etc ala epyon gundam) did i miss something about ms's hands functions?
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 10:33   Link #185
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
There can be some way but in general the weapons have seperate energy sources...
If not hten a trough a BIG cable.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 15:02   Link #186
Dan the Man
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam rider View Post
i think this question is a bit of a goof: how did the standard mobile suits manage to channel their energy source to their handheld weapons? (with out any plugs,cables,wires,etc ala epyon gundam) did i miss something about ms's hands functions?
Well, most MS beam weapons have their own energy packs and reserves. The Wing Gundam, for example, has the three large canisters on it's buster rifle that provide the energy for the shots.
UC rifles had set energy packs that needed recharging, and eventually they had independant packs that could be swapped out for a full one.
Beam sabers charge up energy from the suit's engine while connected to it, and that charge is used from the saber to form it's blade.
Other MS, like the Gundam X, can use solar energy to generate power for weaponry.
I suppose another explanation is that if the weapon does draw from the suit's generator is that the hand could possibly contain a special plug that would attach to the handle of the weapon once the weapon is detected. It could be withdrawn within the palm until that point. I honestly have no idea, but that's how I imagine something like that would work.

Old 2009-02-28, 15:45   Link #187
rebel one
Do the Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
I suppose another explanation is that if the weapon does draw from the suit's generator is that the hand could possibly contain a special plug that would attach to the handle of the weapon once the weapon is detected. It could be withdrawn within the palm until that point. I honestly have no idea, but that's how I imagine something like that would work.
That just about sums up how CE beam weapons work. That's the explanation given for Red Frame which extends to the rest of CE MS.
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 16:14   Link #188
Dan the Man
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
That just about sums up how CE beam weapons work. That's the explanation given for Red Frame which extends to the rest of CE MS.
Seriously? Hm, guess my thought wasn't as rediculous as it sounded.

Old 2009-02-28, 19:27   Link #189
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It should be noted that UC MS actually work on the same principle of handplugs, and very much precedes CE in that respect. While E-Caps provide the Minovsky particles needed to power beam weapons, the energy to actually use them still has to come from the mobile suit's reactors, which is fed from handplugs. Hence why you can't simply arm a Zaku II with a beam weapon if it doesn't have the powerplant and systems to do so.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-03-01, 00:24   Link #190
gundam rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It should be noted that UC MS actually work on the same principle of handplugs, and very much precedes CE in that respect. While E-Caps provide the Minovsky particles needed to power beam weapons, the energy to actually use them still has to come from the mobile suit's reactors, which is fed from handplugs. Hence why you can't simply arm a Zaku II with a beam weapon if it doesn't have the powerplant and systems to do so.
hmmm i see, there were some connector like devices built into some of the ms's hands after all (dispite the blurry evidence on the model kits) ,so i guess its actually a big joke to arm a zaku2 with a rx-78-2 beam rifle right?
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 01:09   Link #191
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam rider View Post
hmmm i see, there were some connector like devices built into some of the ms's hands after all (dispite the blurry evidence on the model kits) ,so i guess its actually a big joke to arm a zaku2 with a rx-78-2 beam rifle right?
Maybe a Zaku II can use a 78-2 can use beam rifle if it had seperate system.Much like a external power supply that connected to the beam rifle.The possiblity is vast in U.C. IN CE anything will do the trick....
Old 2009-03-01, 01:16   Link #192
Tkpenalty
I Want GN Flag II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVNEN View Post
Maybe a Zaku II can use a 78-2 can use beam rifle if it had seperate system.Much like a external power supply that connected to the beam rifle.The possiblity is vast in U.C. IN CE anything will do the trick....
huh, I thought that the RX78's beam rifle had the power cells integrated onto the rifle itself (meaning only five shots? Cant remember).
Tkpenalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 05:30   Link #193
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Is there a difference between Megaparticle Cannons and Beam Cannons?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 05:40   Link #194
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

AFAIK not much, just that the former is much more powerful than the latter. Someone else may know better though.

Old 2009-03-03, 08:30   Link #195
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Beam Cannons are Megaparticle Cannons in UC.
Old 2009-03-03, 09:35   Link #196
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, beams may use megaparticles, but they do use the term Megaparticle Cannon for large weapons. You don't exactly see anyone call a beam rifle a "megaparticle rifle".

Old 2009-03-03, 11:16   Link #197
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Then I shall be the first pilot to do so!
Old 2009-03-03, 16:26   Link #198
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Btw, why are Zeon's beams yellow and the Feddie's beams pink? Is there some difference?
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 12:13   Link #199
nevenacheese

maybe its because the particles are generated/channalized diffrently
nevenacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 06:39   Link #200
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
Say, any new mechanical data about the machines from Gundam Unicorn came out yet? I am particularly interested in info about the Laplace OS and the differences between the two RX-0s (the Unicorn and the Banshee).
I am still waiting for anything regarding that. Incidentally, I heard a rumor that the Laplace OS is capable of predicting the future though calculations in a fashion similar to the Laplace's Demon (hence the name). Can anyone verify this?
faiz blaster is offline   Reply With Quote