AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-12, 05:32   Link #41
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the parts that were cut were actually added to the Playstation game, those parts included Van and Merle traveling to Earth and a friend of Hitomi going to Gaea and fighting for Zaibach, so I doubt they'll use something from escaflowne in this one.
Escaflowne went through 5 years of predevelopment, and it changed a lot. Originally the director was Imagawa (who coined the name Escaflowne) and the mecha was done by Kawamori:
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/aircavalry/index.htm
Ultimately the characters were considered too old (adults), so this version was discarded and the authors created a version with children and what looks like super robots. This time the characters were considered too young, so finally we got what we saw, a mixture of shounen and shoujo motifs. In all this process there were probably a lot of ideas that were discarded, and it seems that Kawamori now wants to use them. It is not unusual for him to reference his own works, but he seems to be laying it a bit too thick this time, so he too is acknowledging that there is some kind of a relationship with Escaflowne. Then again, of course the story will be new and original, but The Fool has a lot of elements of Escaflowne, including floating castles (well, in Escaflowne they emphasized the floating rock part and the castles were not exactly castles, but the idea is the same, though in Escaflowne the floating rocks didn't have rings of water around with ships on it).

By the way, here my memory may fail me and I may be inventing things, so don't trust me too much on this, but I believe I read that Escaflowne was originally supposed to include Arthurian motifs. Asturia for example had 12 Scherazade. I see that the name Escaflowne has some assonance with the name of King Arthur's sword (Excalibur, Caliburn Caledfwlch, Calesvol).
Quote:
Anyway, I can't wait to watch this, I just hope that the story is good because having historical figures from Japan and europe together is still a little weird.
Already done in Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, though The Fool will be certainly easier to follow
Quote:
Oh and since Kawamori is heavily involved, do you think we'll have a love triangle here?
There has to be one, we just don't know between whom

http://the-fool-project.jp/project/audition.html
Three other characters, belonging to the ninja army. From left to right, a tomboy tsundere, an onee-san type with some sadistic streak and a mood maker with a talent for stealth.

Btw, I found out in wikipedia that these three girls (Gou, Chacha, Hatsu) in the real world were the daughters of one of Nobunaga's younger sisters.

Last edited by Shikijin; 2013-11-12 at 07:54.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 17:26   Link #42
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
Or drama rain. It's always rain even in the friggin space!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Re: Evol, the pair I was rooting for actually won. :3 I still think the writing was crappy, so yeah. Anyway, at least now we know she's not involved in this show, thank god.

Back to Nobunaga the Fool, I don't really get where all this "hey it's like Escaflowne 2" is coming from, I just hope people won't get too much into that because I don't see it happening. (It doesn't need to, anyway, Esca is nearly perfect the way it is.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 03:57   Link #43
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Back to Nobunaga the Fool, I don't really get where all this "hey it's like Escaflowne 2" is coming from
Well...

-The mecha looks like medieval knights.
-Mecha come in two sizes, the small one and the hero one.
-Medieval world with mecha
-Floating islands

And here the setting is simply too similar to Escaflowne not to notice. Of course Escaflowne was not the first story to include a medieval setting with mecha, but if you look at NtF you see Escaflowne. I mean, it's even from the same author. I think it is more of a stretch not seeing Escaflowne in it.

If you look further, you can see some other minor signs, like the keyword "maboroshi", which was used in Hitomi's catchphrase, and "minor arcane" which is a reference to tarot cards.

Either NtF contains things Kawamori wanted to do in Escaflowne. or Kawamori realized it looked too similar to Escaflowne so he went out of his way to make it visible. I am sure the subject will be touched upon in interviews. So yeah, of course it will not be the same story and it won't have exactly the same characters, but here and there I expect similarities.
Old 2013-11-17, 11:35   Link #44
Shikijin

I read the first 3 chapters of the introductory novel
http://the-fool-project.jp/world/novel.html

I naturally suppose the person who is writing the novel receives guidelines from the authors but is not part of the anime staff, so of course I expect the anime to be different from the novel. Minor characters who appear in the novel will probably be not even mentioned in the anime, but nevertheless I really enjoy the atmosphere, full of hystorical references and clashes of philosophies. Add in well choreographied mecha fight scenes and I think it will stand out as an anime. There is a distinctive appeal.

And the use of tarot cards is confirmed

My only gripe is the broken Italian used by Da Vinci "signori" is the plural form, with a lady you use "signora". I wish the anime staff gets it right, but I'm not particularly hopeful. Oh well.
Old 2013-11-17, 22:08   Link #45
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Mind writing up a short summary for those of us who can't read Japanese? Or would that violate the spoiler policy?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 03:49   Link #46
Shikijin

If you wait a bit, I will attempt to translate the first chapter. I'll start as soon as I finish reading Owarimonogatari.
Old 2013-11-18, 20:27   Link #47
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

I am translating the novel while I'm reading. I'm somewhere near the end of the latter part of chapter one. It's pretty interesting so far. Now I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread to post in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
My only gripe is the broken Italian used by Da Vinci "signori" is the plural form, with a lady you use "signora". I wish the anime staff gets it right, but I'm not particularly hopeful. Oh well.
Yeah, I didn't know what to do about the 'signori', so I just translated it as 'Madam'.

I look forward to seeing the anime in its full fabulous glory. From what I've read so far I think Da Vinci is going to end up as one of my favorites.
MidnightReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 05:13   Link #48
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
I am translating the novel while I'm reading. I'm somewhere near the end of the latter part of chapter one. It's pretty interesting so far. Now I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thread to post in...
Oh well, then you do it. If you don't want to post it here, you can use sites like http://pastebin.com/
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't know what to do about the 'signori', so I just translated it as 'Madam'.
That would be French though

Though in fact Leonardo here uses even "non", which is French for no. In Italian is simply "no" as in English, possibly it didn't sound distinctive enough.

As for the other names:
Spoiler for Ace of Wand:
Quote:
I look forward to seeing the anime in its full fabulous glory. From what I've read so far I think Da Vinci is going to end up as one of my favorites.
Da Vinci is particularly interesting, but I hope there will be some chapters dedicated even to Jeanne. I am curious about her.

Usually I consider tie-in works to be subpar compared to the original work that spawned them, but in this case I have been pleasantly surprised by this novel. Possibly the anime may be even better! Even the stage exhibition must be quite the spectacle. Definitively a must watch, it has the potentialities to be the most epic work of the decade.
Old 2013-11-19, 11:22   Link #49
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Yeah, I'm putting it on pastebin. Ha, I forgot it was a French loanword. Perhaps I should go for '(My) Lady' instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
As for the other names:
Spoiler for Ace of Wand:
Thank you. I know very little about Italian so this helps a lot.

Spoiler for AoW: Charlotte:

Anyway, I found some concept art on twitter:

Spoiler for Image:
MidnightReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 17:03   Link #50
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
Spoiler for Image:
Looks like the floating castle in this picture posted before:
Spoiler for large image:

That ship on the water looks in a dangerous position Judging from the style of the picture, possibly Da Vinci is the one who drew it. He is pulling no punches in this alternate universe
Old 2013-11-24, 17:51   Link #51
LKK

I moved several posts regarding the translation of the light novel to a new thread in the Manga & Light Novels forum. Please continue any further discussion about the novel in the Nobunaga the Fool [Light Novel] thread and keep this thread saved for the talk about the upcoming anime.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 18:06   Link #52
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Why do I have a strange feeling this series will involve the characters to break into song Broadway-style?
Old 2013-11-30, 13:27   Link #53
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

God I hope so. There probabily won't be musical numbers, because that's not really how much stage productions work now adays, but if they broke out into song and dance every episode that would make my season.
Old 2013-12-02, 01:43   Link #54
OkamiNoKaze

Glad I wasn't the only one getting Escaflowne vibe, and the "Bike/horse" looks a bit like a Macross Valkyrie. How long do you think it will be, before there's a version of DiVinci's "illustrated Man" sketch with the mechs of this series
Old 2013-12-08, 10:08   Link #55
Shikijin

PV out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7PHeuOizwE
Old 2013-12-08, 10:17   Link #56
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Wow. I like it. Hope normal version would be uploaded soon.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 12:29   Link #57
melina_putri

Premieres Sunday, January 5, 25:35 JST (Monday, January 6, 1:35 a.m JST) on TV Tokyo. Starting 2nd episode, it is airing at 25:05 JST instead.

http://www.nobunaga.tv/onair.html
melina_putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 16:11   Link #58
Shikijin

The official website has been updated. There are a lot of characters featured, including queen Himiko, Uesugi Kenshin, Takada Shingen, Alexander, and Magellan (I am still trying to figure who the young twins serving Caesar are supposed to be). Anyway, the world page explains something about the mecha. Kawamori says that, being mecha created by Da Vinci, they use the human body as a basis, and they are capable of basically every pose the human body is able of. Also, by equipping a "sacred treasure" it is possible to summon from hyperspace armor parts. And guess what, you need to make a blood pact with the sacred treasure.

There is definitively Escaflowne, but also Aquarion.
Old 2013-12-08, 22:41   Link #59
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Whole bunch of new promo videos just went up, looks like the only thing different each time is the seiyuu stuff at the beginning but posting all of them just in case some people would like to see that

wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 05:39   Link #60
Shikijin

Thank you. Now that I see a better trailer, I can say that the image of Nobunaga saving Jeanne reflected in her eye is just another subtle nod at Escaflowne

Based on the image now appeared in the official site, the love triangle seems to be between Jeanne and queen Himiko

Tags
bishonen, mecha