AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-06-19, 09:01   Link #1481
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
As for the targeting system, hmm, does this mean once they use the area type spell, and they pick up hostiles, they can fire and hit from anywhere? Or is it like they can only be targeted if they are in plain sight/ no obstacles blocking.
Sort of. The targeting computer mostly adds a homing component to guided-type shooting spells like Axel Shooter, allowing someone like Nanoha to use fire-and-forget tactics. However the accuracy of those spells at present development leaves something to be desired; the spells take the most direct route to the target even if there's some kind of obstacle in the way unless you have a really advanced computer which can guide the spells mid-flight. But to answer your question, yes, if they have been detected by Area Search, they can be targeted from any distance. It's actually hitting them that's somewhat trickier.

Quote:
As for the Blaster Bits, is the reference from Nanoha's blaster thing which she used to blow Quatro to kingdom come/GS/D's dragoon system. Oh yeah, alot of money to burn?
Yep. Really really powerful, but also really expensive both in terms of cash (for requisitioning the system in the first place) and in terms of mana drain (for actually using it).

Quote:
I must say, when you mentioned that Armored Devices have a lower protection rate then a Barrier Jacket, I kinda went "Huh? " You sort of expect something with 'armor' in its name to be focussed on defense.
Oh it is. The extent of the clothing in a barrier jacket designed to work with an armor device would be something very lightweight and easy to move in, like a plugsuit. The energies that would then go to providing physical armor are then redirected into bolstering the armor's defensive fields and/or the mage's movement speed. This on top of the jacket's pre-existing defensive fields leads to a significant net gain in defensive power.

Quote:
Another question, when you mentioned hardpoints, does that mean armored devices only have a limited number of hardpoints? And if so, how many?
That depends on the complexity of the armor device. Mass-produced units will probably only have one or two hardpoints, but elite units may have as many as five or six. Note also that all the advanced systems available to the armor devices place a drain on the mage's linker core to power themselves; you want to use the blaster system, blaster bits, and a targeting computer at the same time, then you'd better be ready to either handle the strain or drop dead.

Quote:
Yes I know what unison is, I was asking how? As in Unison device? Although what you were describing doesn't really fit a unison device per se...
I mentioned this a few pages back; Iris and her unison device have had their personalities and consciousnesses merged into a single awareness by a unison accident called a "Perfect Unison". Iris doesn't know she used to be two beings (amnesia and all that good stuff) but she does have higher spellcasting abilities because the two minds are focused upon a single goal, providing greater focus and processing speed on spellcasting and elemental conversion. Her teammates don't know about her unison; they think that she's Just That Good.

Quote:
Seems ok I guess. Question, cost aside, how many of these extensions could be loaded up on the system as the same time?

Seems a little weird that they would cut back on magical defences at the expense of adding physical ones though. I'm not too sure how much effect the armour would have in terms of enhancing though.
Already tackled these answering Kero's questions.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 09:04   Link #1482
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Hmhm....
I like the idea of the Armor Device...
...reminds me of my Ghost Armor
Old 2008-06-19, 09:05   Link #1483
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Sturmspeer is good...
But I have trouble with the first three... could you give me thier english names please?

EDIT: Ohooo! Belka claims again!
Brisedurchbohren probably refers to 'breeze driller', Frühlingschlag probably 'spring strike' Luftscheibe... not sure about this one. I'm pretty sure about the air bit, and I think the meaning of scheibe was meant to display 'cut' (as in, 'air cutter') judging by the spell desciption... looks like a mixup of words though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Sort of. The targeting computer mostly adds a homing component to guided-type shooting spells like Axel Shooter, allowing someone like Nanoha to use fire-and-forget tactics. However the accuracy of those spells at present development leaves something to be desired; the spells take the most direct route to the target even if there's some kind of obstacle in the way unless you have a really advanced computer which can guide the spells mid-flight. But to answer your question, yes, if they have been detected by Area Search, they can be targeted from any distance. It's actually hitting them that's somewhat trickier.
In other words: targeting is easy, but actually getting your shots to go that far is the real problem, right?

Quote:
Oh it is. The extent of the clothing in a barrier jacket designed to work with an armor device would be something very lightweight and easy to move in, like a plugsuit. The energies that would then go to providing physical armor are then redirected into bolstering the armor's defensive fields and/or the mage's movement speed. This on top of the jacket's pre-existing defensive fields leads to a significant net gain in defensive power.
Hmm, so you're saying that the armor drops the yield of the field/barrier because it already is physical armor?

Quote:
That depends on the complexity of the armor device. Mass-produced units will probably only have one or two hardpoints, but elite units may have as many as five or six. Note also that all the advanced systems available to the armor devices place a drain on the mage's linker core to power themselves; you want to use the blaster system, blaster bits, and a targeting computer at the same time, then you'd better be ready to either handle the strain or drop dead.
No problems then. Actually, the need to choose which upgrades to take sounds like one of the main atraction point for this Device.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 09:17   Link #1484
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Brisedurchbohren probably refers to 'breeze driller', Frühlingschlag probably 'spring strike' Luftscheibe... not sure about this one. I'm pretty sure about the air bit, and I think the meaning of scheibe was meant to display 'cut' (as in, 'air cutter') judging by the spell desciption... looks like a mixup of words though.

Briesedurchbohren could be breeze driller or breeze piercer.

Frühlingschlag... I think it sound pretty harmless if a spell is named after the time of the year that is famous for bees and flowers xD
Or is the spring like a water spring?

Luftscheibe... Air Disk is what comes too mind. Ok that is not bad translated then.

Well I would like to know what he had on his mind as he named his spells... I don't want to translate my own guesses.
Old 2008-06-19, 09:24   Link #1485
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Luftscheibe... Air Disk is what comes too mind. Ok that is not bad translated then.
Its also possible that he really meant 'Luftschneider,' which would fit with the description of the spell.
Old 2008-06-19, 09:31   Link #1486
Tormenk

Talking about jackets (again ), here's an idea of the gear the Prize grunts wear.

Unfortunately, it only lasts from 00:19 to 00:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8XjHdZbO0A

I'll fill in the various details about the Prize as a writing exercise, since narrating a story has been difficult lately.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 09:34   Link #1487
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
It's too bad I can't find a way to drag the awesome that is an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) into this. Or I'd do so. Because when the hog talks... everyone listens.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 09:45   Link #1488
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Some things just aren't meant for Nanohaverse. I've been toying with the idea of a chaingun based device, but... I don't know... while the basic concept of a chaingun Device is possible, it just loses part of its charm without the hundreds upon hundreds of empty shells flying from it.

Oh, ATC, seen the latest TF2 yet? The sniper is out.
Old 2008-06-19, 09:52   Link #1489
Tormenk

While doable imo, the sheer firepower and ammo issue of a chain-gun who hardly fit as a personal device. If implemented, it would probably be a ravenous cartridge-fed monster reserved for special situations. Best usage I can think of would be in the GFs to give their grunts the needed firepower when the man(fire)power is just not available.

Old 2008-06-19, 09:59   Link #1490
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Actually, the cartridge feed is the main problem. Cartriges are filled with mana, so all they really do when used is provide a boost of mana. Burning through cartridges at the speed chainguns do would be suicidal.

But the basics of a fast-firing weapon is usable, the firing rate would have to be nerfed tremendously, but I would only go for a weapon like this for the looks anyway.
Old 2008-06-19, 10:05   Link #1491
Tormenk

I had taken the boost in mind but rather than using the carts as just a boost, why not use them as otherwise? Given modification, the high-pressured magic could act as the equivalent of bullets to break down magic barriers or otherwise with ease.

Though this is pretty moot now.

Old 2008-06-19, 10:13   Link #1492
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
I'm more inclined for the way the A-10 pulls things off.

First the enemy's fine... then suddenly them, and everything in the immediate surroundings get ripped to shreds. A few seconds later you can hear it... "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!"

That awesome sound of the GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun.

Incidently. A chaingun is a single barrel cyclic weapon powered by a chain. A GATLING is the correct term for a multi-barrel spinning cannon.

I put a pair of gatling styled cannons on the MADCAP... but they're nowhere near as awesome as the GAU-8. Too bad the TSAB don't use mass based weapons. Roland would kill to be able to have A-10 CAS backing him up. (And I'm sure if one ever popped up in say, StrikerS... the Numbers would be wetting themselves. It would be the perfect thing to launch a counter attack after the attempt to shoot the Helicopter down. At least Quattro would be taken care of early on.)
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 10:26   Link #1493
Tormenk

Don't take me on the exact words but wasn't some sort of loophole mentioned before concerning the usage of mass-based weapons?

Old 2008-06-19, 10:29   Link #1494
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

If I may make a suggestion....

Construct a device based on Rex's Deadeye which specializes in solid slugs and physical-type spells like Swallow Flier. Start with a magical railgun, add multiple cyclic barrels and be ready for an immense mana drain when firing at full capacity and top speed.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-19, 10:43   Link #1495
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Don't take me on the exact words but wasn't some sort of loophole mentioned before concerning the usage of mass-based weapons?
I believe the loophole was something along the lines of 'as long as you need magic to use it, its cool.'
Old 2008-06-19, 11:04   Link #1496
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Er... Remember Eugenie and her chaingun-jetpack-sword thingy?

But granted she's illegal, so I guess she can skirt the ban a little. Later on she upgrades to a magical Burst Cannon, so she uses magically-charged sand as ammo, replete with flying cartridges that are caught by her Lunar Fold like Akari from Night Wizard.

Don't quote me on this, I'm rebuilding Eugenie along the new rules on the fly...
Old 2008-06-19, 11:06   Link #1497
Jimmy C

Actually, I think the loophole was "magically manifested physical projectiles". Manufactured physical projectiles are out. We knocked that out with one of Comar's previous OCs.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-19, 11:08   Link #1498
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Quote:
Some things just aren't meant for Nanohaverse. I've been toying with the idea of a chaingun based device, but... I don't know... while the basic concept of a chaingun Device is possible, it just loses part of its charm without the hundreds upon hundreds of empty shells flying from it.
Quote:
While doable imo, the sheer firepower and ammo issue of a chain-gun who hardly fit as a personal device. If implemented, it would probably be a ravenous cartridge-fed monster reserved for special situations. Best usage I can think of would be in the GFs to give their grunts the needed firepower when the man(fire)power is just not available.
Quote:
Actually, the cartridge feed is the main problem. Cartriges are filled with mana, so all they really do when used is provide a boost of mana. Burning through cartridges at the speed chainguns do would be suicidal.

But the basics of a fast-firing weapon is usable, the firing rate would have to be nerfed tremendously, but I would only go for a weapon like this for the looks anyway.
Quote:
I had taken the boost in mind but rather than using the carts as just a boost, why not use them as otherwise? Given modification, the high-pressured magic could act as the equivalent of bullets to break down magic barriers or otherwise with ease.

Though this is pretty moot now.
Quote:
I believe the loophole was something along the lines of 'as long as you need magic to use it, its cool.'
seems like some here never read my works...

I had already created an OC and her Device, which is a handheld Gattling-type Rifle.

*me whistles as Yuuno's Mother walks past*

Spoiler for desu:
Old 2008-06-19, 11:09   Link #1499
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Ah yes, Kiritsugu's orichalcon bullets. I might still use those with one of the Big Bads in the Carpathan Syndicate... either that or a prototype mobile su--

*Is shot*

What?! Don't tell me you don't want to see Nanoha go head-to-head with Rau Le Cruset! Admit it, the values clash alone would be epic beyond all comparison!

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-06-19, 11:14   Link #1500
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
seems like some here never read my works...

I had already created an OC and her Device, which is a handheld Gattling-type Rifle.

*me whistles as Yuuno's Mother walks past*
Didn't Yuuno mentioned before he had no actual parents and lived as part of the Scrya Clan?

Quote:
Ah yes, Kiritsugu's orichalcon bullets. I might still use those with one of the Big Bads in the Carpathan Syndicate... either that or a prototype mobile su--

*Is shot*

What?! Don't tell me you don't want to see Nanoha go head-to-head with Rau Le Cruset! Admit it, the values clash would be epic beyond all comparison!
Kirei >>>> Rau

Throw in Gilgamesh to match beams while I'm at it.

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content