AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-06, 11:14   Link #2041
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Uwaa, what did the others do then? I mean, I can understand Yoshika, Lynette and even Luccini and Erica, but the others were among the more professional of the cast.
You can follow VA castings for hours here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9139

Just click on the different cast members, and it shows you other things they were in. It's like TVTropes, but for seiyuu.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 14:06   Link #2042
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Uwaa, what did the others do then? I mean, I can understand Yoshika, Lynette and even Luccini and Erica, but the others were among the more professional of the cast.
Sakamoto - Chiba Saeko, which is a plus point for her, but hrm... Even though she shows up quite frequently throughout the show, she doesn't really get much development herself.
Wilcke - She's alright, with nothing that outright annoys me, but also nothing that particularly interests me.
Barkhorn - Hrm. Needs more ass-kickery, less Miyafuji-fawnery. MUCH less.
Hartmann - Grar. Probably the most fanservice-y episode ever.
Clostermann - Most moe bonsoir ever. I alternated between liking her and not liking her every other episode though... I guess I rather like ojou-sama types. And meganekko.
Yeager - Doesn't actually do much in the series, actually. She needs a weaponry upgrade badly though... even if the bikini missile was effective in a way.
Bishop - Liked her above the waist... but her voice was rather too high-pitched, and the camo stockings were . Needs more determination and guts. And opp... Never mind. (Actually, I like her tie much more than the ribbons that just about everyone else seems to have...)
Juutilainen - Interesting character, bad new VA. Her voice annoyed me to no end. She was rather enjoyable in the side novels though.
Miyafuji - Nothing to say here...
Lucchini - Grar. No. I don't see why people like her.
Litvyak - Sanya sucks. Sorry. Attempting moe for the sake of moe is not moe. No, I don't know what I'm talking about either.

Anyway, one big problem is the whole 12 ep thing, so a lot of the characters just never got enough screentime. As for my favorite character, it'd probably be Katou Keiko, or Beurling. Katou just kinda walks around the base and talks to people, but since that section is written by IMHO the best writer on the SW creative staff... (and one of the most important)
I also rather like Miles' character design, but she doesn't actually get much screen(page?)time.

[/ramble]
Old 2009-08-06, 15:39   Link #2043
mg1942

vegas odds says we will get the JDM made-for-tv version with english dub. Who's with me?
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 16:22   Link #2044
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Juutilainen - Interesting character, bad new VA. Her voice annoyed me to no end. She was rather enjoyable in the side novels though.
Huh. I rather liked her VA, although I do agree she needs more practice. Her voice sounds awkward during emotional moments. However during the more casual moments, I really liked her. The character herself could have a little less Sanya-obsession going on for my tastes, but I guess it's a major attraction point for the majority. Really like her uniform though.

Perinne... never really made the cut for me. While I don't actually hate her, I can't find myself liking her either. This is probably because I find oujou-sama types to be very hit-or-miss, with more misses than hits. Probably because they're often also very bitchy (for some reason, bitchy and oujo-sama archtypes seem to have a magnetic attraction). Oh, and the whole 'I dislike this character because she's close to my idol/lover' gig is something I never liked.

I have to agree that the Sanya moe becomes tiresome pretty fast. And yes, Sakamoto needs more screentime and development. Perhaps in the next season, if that letter proves to be accurate?

More positively, my favorite character out of those I am familiar with so far would have to be Beurling. Purely because she's a bitch, but a bitch of the type that doesn't go around lording their apparent superiority and denying their bitchiness.

Beurling is a bitch, but you won't hear her bragging, and if you'd ask her she'd most likely shrug and say "Guess I am."

Such rare spins on regular archtypes score major points with me.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 17:09   Link #2045
einhorn303

Eila's VA had a very unique, distinctive voice. I found it refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
vegas odds says we will get the JDM made-for-tv version with english dub. Who's with me?
Funimation reps have repeatedly insisted that they have no plan to use a censored broadcast version, and all intent to use the DVD version.
Old 2009-08-07, 19:17   Link #2046
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
I was going to speed through Chap 6 then go back to 5, since 5 is a pretty boring chapter, but I got sidetracked by Bungaku Shoujo (excellent novel) and one-more-turning in Civ4 FfH...
Ah I actually wasted allot more time on Civ 3 myself I used to grind that game for hours and hours... then go and read battle reports of other peoples games. By the time 4 rolled around I was acutally sort of cived out.

Also I'd bitch about slow updates being slow, but then I can't even put out a snippet of my own work that I just have to make up as I go along never mind translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
Is it just me or is Tomoko a huge bitch?
Pretty much.

Quote:
She is, especially in the first novel. I suppose that's the point of the whole first novel, anyway. I never really liked her myself.
Ah I liked her, but that could be because I’m a huge bastard. I can’t count how many times I end up cursing at my teammates for being idiots… I still maintain I only do this because they ARE idiots mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Barkhorn is a Tsundere, Perrine is pure bitch. It's all in the delivery.

<<--(Likes Trude, hates Perrine)
Quite, but then she got bonus points for the Fw-190D-9 which is my fav German fighter. Then again I’d like any plane that gives me two 20mm cannons with 250 rpg and two 13mm MGs with 500 rpg “close and spray!” If only it didn’t turn like a dump truck… (course I'd love any Witch that used a P-38 even more and unconditionally)

Quote:
Huh. I rather liked her VA, although I do agree she needs more practice. Her voice sounds awkward during emotional moments. However during the more casual moments, I really liked her. The character herself could have a little less Sanya-obsession going on for my tastes, but I guess it's a major attraction point for the majority. Really like her uniform though.
I didn't even notice myself, but then I've never had much of an ear for voices or VA. It has to be really bad (like Godzilla level dubbing) for me to really notice much of anything.

Quote:
Perinne... never really made the cut for me. While I don't actually hate her, I can't find myself liking her either.
Kay I'll say it then: I hate her. She was annoying and prissy and her voice actually did irritate me. Plus she was like a walking French stereotype to boot. I was just waiting for her to say "I fart in your general direction!" at any moment...

Quote:
This is probably because I find oujou-sama types to be very hit-or-miss, with more misses than hits. Probably because they're often also very bitchy (for some reason, bitchy and oujo-sama archtypes seem to have a magnetic attraction). Oh, and the whole 'I dislike this character because she's close to my idol/lover' gig is something I never liked.
I don't see her as an Ojou-sama at all that requires some kind of class and she was just a whiny brat that was imitating what she thought class was. At best she might be classed as an Ojou-sama wanna-be an Ojoutator if you will.

Then we have the entire absurd obsession thing. I’m surprised she didn’t go to her room and play linkin park records while cutting herself when Mio didn’t pay attention to her every single moment they were together… I can see it now:
Spoiler for "CRAWWWLLLINNNGG IN MY SKIN!!!":

Quote:
I have to agree that the Sanya moe becomes tiresome pretty fast. And yes, Sakamoto needs more screentime and development. Perhaps in the next season, if that letter proves to be accurate?
Pretty fast don't you mean instantaneously? I saw her the first time and I was like "Oh it's the Rei-clone next..."

Quote:
As for my favorite character, it'd probably be Katou Keiko, or Beurling. Katou just kinda walks around the base and talks to people, but since that section is written by IMHO the best writer on the SW creative staff... (and one of the most important)
You don't say? Would be interesting to see more of her... Okay so I said I wouldn't bitch about slow updates being slow: I lied.

Quote:
I also rather like Miles' character design, but she doesn't actually get much screen(page?)time.
Yes we need more infantry action.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 05:35   Link #2047
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Hey, Perrine is one of the characters I hate least from the anime!
- Your belief system and mine may have items of interest that dovetail, but are not necessarily the same.

In english: Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk
Wilcke - She's alright, with nothing that outright annoys me, but also nothing that particularly interests me.
- I'll have to echo what you said about Sakamoto--we need a bit more depth in her character development. But then, I pretty much fell for her once I saw her episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
More positively, my favorite character out of those I am familiar with so far would have to be Beurling. Purely because she's a bitch, but a bitch of the type that doesn't go around lording their apparent superiority and denying their bitchiness.
- Yes, Beurling's a bitch, but she does it with STYLE. Cue FMP!'s Melissa Mao.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 22:49   Link #2048
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Hello, first post here after lurking... shame on me.

So yeah, relatively new fan to Strike Witches. I watched the anime sometime near the end of the school year and fell in love, promptly running off to check out the Wiki pages and whatever info I could find that went beyond the 12 episodes I know. With that in mind, I apologize if any of my posts seem out of place or newbish, since I still... haven't been able to track down any translations for the novels and manga.

... Also, I write. Which means I have many, many Strike Witches ideas. I hope you don't mind if I share some of them from time to time for feedback.
Old 2009-08-09, 02:27   Link #2049
Georget

Quote:
I also rather like Miles' character design
Hmm, only pic of her is in character relations chart:

Couldnt find anything in the 1st fanbook or magazine scans

But it looks like its part of bigger picture. Can i ask for source/scan please?

And sorry my bad english.
Georget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 02:57   Link #2050
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Spoiler for something you don't see everyday:
Old 2009-08-09, 09:04   Link #2051
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

So yeah, relatively new fan to Strike Witches. I watched the anime sometime near the end of the school year and fell in love, promptly running off to check out the Wiki pages and whatever info I could find that went beyond the 12 episodes I know. With that in mind, I apologize if any of my posts seem out of place or newbish, since I still... haven't been able to track down any translations for the novels and manga.

... Also, I write. Which means I have many, many Strike Witches ideas. I hope you don't mind if I share some of them from time to time for feedback.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...Strike_Witches <-- novel / novelette translations. Now go complain about the slow translator.
Most of the translated canon info from the various novels and DVD booklets can be found here and there in this thread, but it's all really unorganized. Damn messy translators who can't do things in order...

Honestly, the manga is not really worth reading. What IS worth reading is actually the official doujinshi. The main SW setting designer and military consultant does it, and it should be more canon that the manga. There's a manga and novelette section in each volume of the official doujinshi.

The canonicity in the series is all messed up though, to say the least. Best bet would be to just ask someone familiar with the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georget View Post
Hmm, only pic of her is in character relations chart:

Couldnt find anything in the 1st fanbook or magazine scans

But it looks like its part of bigger picture. Can i ask for source/scan please?

And sorry my bad english.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/humikane/e-wacs/ <-- first pic is Miles (Matilda tank). I translated the article a while back, just do a search or something.
Miles is also a main-ish character in the canon doujinshi.
Vol.1 - Witch in Africa
Vol.2 - Tiger in Desert (Part 1)
Vol.3 - Tiger in Desert (Part 2) (To be released C76)

BTW, that character relation chart is fan-made and not official. Miles and Marseille do show up in the official guide though, so they're not just "canon doujinshi" characters.
Old 2009-08-10, 14:39   Link #2052
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...Strike_Witches <-- novel / novelette translations. Now go complain about the slow translator.
Most of the translated canon info from the various novels and DVD booklets can be found here and there in this thread, but it's all really unorganized. Damn messy translators who can't do things in order...

Honestly, the manga is not really worth reading. What IS worth reading is actually the official doujinshi. The main SW setting designer and military consultant does it, and it should be more canon that the manga. There's a manga and novelette section in each volume of the official doujinshi.

The canonicity in the series is all messed up though, to say the least. Best bet would be to just ask someone familiar with the info.
Thank you very much!
Old 2009-08-11, 13:54   Link #2053
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Yes, shame on you indeed. But better late then never.

Back to Strike Witches, the guys over at Sankaku Complex brought to attention an article from Comptic Ace about who would be the most popular Witch to have as a wife.

Sanya made first place, followed by Yoshika on spot two and the third one taken by Lynette. As usual, my favorite characters scored rather low, with the surprising exception of Barkhorn in fourth place.

I'd warn you about NSFWorkiness in the link, but seeing how this is a Strike Witches thread, that'd be a rather moot point...
Old 2009-08-11, 15:33   Link #2054
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Yes, shame on you indeed. But better late then never.

Back to Strike Witches, the guys over at Sankaku Complex brought to attention an article from Comptic Ace about who would be the most popular Witch to have as a wife.

Sanya made first place, followed by Yoshika on spot two and the third one taken by Lynette. As usual, my favorite characters scored rather low, with the surprising exception of Barkhorn in fourth place.

I'd warn you about NSFWorkiness in the link, but seeing how this is a Strike Witches thread, that'd be a rather moot point...
Yoshika and Lynette do have a good deal of housewife appeal. Lynette raised her little bros and sis and have a wedded sister whom have excellent experience with grown men to tell her how life is like and whom would not like Yoshika's healthy cooking and first aid?
Old 2009-08-11, 19:39   Link #2055
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Why am I not surprised to see Mio near the bottom of that list?

Honestly, I'm not surprised to see Barkhorn near the top of the list. She always struck me as the type who'd need someone dependable by her side, someone who can lean on her occasionally, someone who she could lean on when she needs the support, and someone who'd be wise enough to bitch slap get her back to her senses when she gets a little too self-sacrificing.

Seeing Mio in pigtails amuses me to no end. She looks like she's really suffering in that pic.

A little random question, but is it ever stated anywhere that the girls can actually transform into the creatures they gain the ears and tails of when they use magic? (i.e. could Mio transform into a Doberman, or Minna into a wolf?)
Old 2009-08-11, 20:38   Link #2056
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, the anime never does anything with the ears and tails other than 'lulz, moe ears' but in the novels and at least one of the manga, the ears and tail are the result of their familiars, which act as... well, the easiest comparison would be Nanoha's Unison Devices.

No mention of complete transformations is ever made that I am aware off.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:04   Link #2057
einhorn303

Quote:
...with the surprising exception of Barkhorn in fourth place.
I think Barkhorn would be excellent waifu material. She sort of reminds me of Tomoyo from Clannad...she'd wake you up in the morning, make sure you're eating well, nag at you to not slack off, etc. And be all moe while doing it. A lot of men are really into that sort of thing.
Old 2009-08-12, 00:59   Link #2058
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I think Barkhorn would be excellent waifu material. She sort of reminds me of Tomoyo from Clannad...she'd wake you up in the morning, make sure you're eating well, nag at you to not slack off, etc. And be all moe while doing it. A lot of men are really into that sort of thing.
Well she better not try to wake me up in the morning given that I normally going to bed at about 5 AM...

*Checks the clock*

"Oh 2 AM time for lunch."

*Wanders back in with his lunch*

Anyway that would probably get old fast. Na what I want in a wife is someone as apathetic about discipline, normal sleep habits, and proper diet as I am so I’d totally go with Yeager. The fact is what every man really wants is to marry is another guy, but not all of us are gay in which case we want a hot woman who acts like a guy. Wife that wanders around in the morning in her underwear in the morning and tears apart big block engines in her spare time? Hell yes please!

Last edited by Tk3997; 2009-08-12 at 01:22.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 05:34   Link #2059
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I can get why Yoshika and Lynette got to that rank, but Sanya? Then again, I suppose most single Japanese men seem to confuse "Wife" with "Girlfriend" or "Girl I sleep with at night"--not necessarily the same thing. Can't see how you'll be able to work out a relationship with a girl who sleeps all day and only goes out at night, however cute she is. You might end up doing all the cooking, housework, et-cetera while she sleeps.

And yes, Yoshika's cooking is healthy--but there was never any mention of it being tasteful...unless you like Nattou. And while I like her upbeat character, living with a girl even remotely like Yoshika would drive me stir-crazy out of my mind in three weeks.

Honestly, Lynette is the only one who seems to be stereotypical "Wife" material in the top 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
“Sanya is Eila’s bride, I will not recognize this!”
- This was kinda expected, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997
The fact is what every man really wants is to marry is another guy, but not all of us are gay in which case we want a hot woman who acts like a guy. Wife that wanders around in the morning in her underwear in the morning and tears apart big block engines in her spare time? Hell yes please!
- TK, you don't have a brother, or have never had to live with a male roommate, have you?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 08:16   Link #2060
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

How the heck did Takei place so low? She'd probably be prime wife material. Katharine O'Hare is also quite motherly, actually. Of course, IMHO it's a pretty inane topic in any case.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume