AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-29, 08:53   Link #81
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I think i can safety say this is one of the most stunning games i've ever seen, cutscene and gameplay. Square are seriously going all out for Versus, and that score is so fitting and incredible.

Battle system seriously looks like hours of fun. Absolute hours.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:11   Link #82
Leo Keichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
The sword and gun juxtapositions are ehhh though...seems they're going to need to do a fair bit of justification on the "Why Don't You Just Shoot Him" trope.
Swords are more stylish than guns. That's justification enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
So when exactly is this coming out? Late 11 or early/mid 12? The gameplay looks fun and hopefully it won't be nothing but linear one-way dungeons this time.

Any info on whether or not you'll be able to choose japanese over english dub?
It's coming out late 12, I suppose. It won't have japanese dubs, probably. Never heard of any Squeenix game that has.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 18:56   Link #83
Reiter
lets do during this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
Swords are more stylish than guns. That's justification enough.
Plus it looks like Noctis can spam D. I counted about eight swords, that remind you of anyone?

Swordspam is only meant to be epic. The only one that can pull off bulletspam is Zephyr from Resonance of Fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
It's coming out late 12, I suppose. It won't have japanese dubs, probably. Never heard of any Squeenix game that has.
I figured since I never heard of a Enix game that had could switch between japanese and english dubs.
Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 19:21   Link #84
Razziell22

whoa the HD trailer looks awesome...Can't wait for this game
Old 2011-01-30, 00:17   Link #85
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Can someone upload a subtitle file for the trailer please?
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 00:53   Link #86
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I thought that I heard Lelouch voice in the trailer or am I imagining things
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 01:48   Link #87
akei1
nani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I thought that I heard Lelouch voice in the trailer or am I imagining things
I also thought Ignis (the guy wearing glasses) sounded like Lelouch at first

Seems like Ignis is voiced by Mamoru Miyano (Riku from Kingdom Hearts and Light from Death Note).
akei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 01:58   Link #88
Reiter
lets do during this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akei1 View Post
I also thought Ignis (the guy wearing glasses) sounded like Lelouch at first

Seems like Ignis is voiced by Mamoru Miyano (Riku from Kingdom Hearts and Light from Death Note).
You're forgetting Flynn Scifo!

lol Ignis sounds like Fukuyama? I didn't even notice.
Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 17:07   Link #89
iceyfw

it wouldn't surprise me if nomura thought more about the games development after hearing complaints about FF 13 (i'm totally aware there are seperate teams for each FF 13 game) from their fanbase and decided to delay the release date a bit further. he's worked on many games that i've played and loved, so i'm sure he'll make this a great game when a launch date is given.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 19:12   Link #90
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

As soon as I heard that this game was gonna use a derivative of Kingdom Hearts' engine I just had to look into it, and I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised by the trailer.

I've never been a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series (though I played Dissidia, but that one was kind of a disappointment) but this game looks like a good chance to give it a shot.

Not being related to the main XIII game plot-wise is nice too. Means I don't have to struggle through another game I don't want to play just so I can understand the story.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-01-31 at 19:35.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 03:31   Link #91
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
Plus it looks like Noctis can spam D. I counted about eight swords, that remind you of anyone?

Swordspam is only meant to be epic. The only one that can pull off bulletspam is Zephyr from Resonance of Fate.
No surprise, they seem to have similar hairstyles and attitudes.
Old 2011-02-19, 18:43   Link #92
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
Here's a link to the HD trailer for this game.

http://n4g.com/news/688176/final-fan...hd-trailer/com

Someone also posted a direct download link down the page(Can file, save target on your PS3 as well).

Game looks flat out incredible in every way.
Appreciate it, downloaded the file
(So I can loop it a thousand times and drool over the eye candy there)

I reaaaally have no time, but to sub or not to sub this trailer? <3

Liked the dialogue between Stella and Noctis, seen in other trailers that they gotta battle, so curious to see how this male/female relationship develops compared to the other previous FF couples.

NOW JUST HURRY UP WITH THE RELEASE ALREADY!!!

*remains calm...* >.>

PS: The king is a bastard and if that's his expression of 'love', I'd hate to see what his expression of 'hate' will be :\
(Perhaps we fight him as a boss later on)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-02-19 at 22:31.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 20:09   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
it wouldn't surprise me if nomura thought more about the games development after hearing complaints about FF 13 (i'm totally aware there are seperate teams for each FF 13 game) from their fanbase and decided to delay the release date a bit further. he's worked on many games that i've played and loved, so i'm sure he'll make this a great game when a launch date is given.
It's funny because it doesn't take a genius to figure out what can make the Final Fantasy franchise respectable again. Simply give the player some actual input in the game that matters and thus a stake in the characters plight rather than having them basically act as bystanders in an high budget visual novel. This simple concept seems to be eluding Square Enix as of late as they seem to strive to make even their flagship franchise as much like visual novel as possible.

I plan on playing it safe with this one and really paying attention to what the reasonable fans say about it. If it becomes clear that it's just another visual novel disguised as an RPG then I want absolutely no part of it. However if it turns out there's actual decent game play involved I'll be all for it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 01:11   Link #94
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's funny because it doesn't take a genius to figure out what can make the Final Fantasy franchise respectable again. Simply give the player some actual input in the game that matters and thus a stake in the characters plight rather than having them basically act as bystanders in an high budget visual novel. This simple concept seems to be eluding Square Enix as of late as they seem to strive to make even their flagship franchise as much like visual novel as possible.

I plan on playing it safe with this one and really paying attention to what the reasonable fans say about it. If it becomes clear that it's just another visual novel disguised as an RPG then I want absolutely no part of it. However if it turns out there's actual decent game play involved I'll be all for it.
Why exactly are you playing RPGs and going after something more than a visual novel? Last I checked, the point of playing an RPG was to immerse yourself in a world. And honestly, to me, the whole "move three steps, screen goes swirly, confront monster, battle it with menu choices" ruins the immersion. I mean a particularly egregious example was in FFX when in a cutscene, Bevelle guards had guns to Tidus's chin, and the next thing you know, you're fighting them in a usual random battle, get shot by one of those hand cannons, and get up like nothing happened.

IMO random monster battles ruin immersion. The less meaningless "You squished baddy, you get 10 gold" battles there are, the better.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:16   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Why exactly are you playing RPGs and going after something more than a visual novel? Last I checked, the point of playing an RPG was to immerse yourself in a world. And honestly, to me, the whole "move three steps, screen goes swirly, confront monster, battle it with menu choices" ruins the immersion. I mean a particularly egregious example was in FFX when in a cutscene, Bevelle guards had guns to Tidus's chin, and the next thing you know, you're fighting them in a usual random battle, get shot by one of those hand cannons, and get up like nothing happened.

IMO random monster battles ruin immersion. The less meaningless "You squished baddy, you get 10 gold" battles there are, the better.
Immersing myself in a world doesn't equate to having zero input on how anything plays out. And this is coming from somebody who tried every way possible to enjoy FFXIII and still came up short. There's sadly nothing in that game that isn't pre-scripted. The plot progression is layed out (and I know this is cliche by this point) in a linear fashion where the only way to move is forward on the map, but not only that, there's only one way to win each boss battle via paradigm shift so you're not exactly doing much other than doing what the game has prescribed for you. Having no chance to design any sort of strategy really puts a damper on what I've come to know of RPG's from Square Enix.

However the absolute kicker which totally caught me off guard when I found out about it and immediately had me going, "Oh boy this is the death sign", is that the Crystogen system, the system that the team behind FFXIII came up with to govern stat growth, is also pre-scripted. All my dreams of getting an updated Sphere Grid system were shattered when I realized that the Crystogen system is also laid out as a straight line and that your growth rates are capped by the chapter such that any replay you might do your growth rates are going to turn out exactly the same each and every time. There's no room for experimentation with it because it doesn't allow for it by it's very nature. This to me was unforgivable and what ultimately brought the game down for me. Honestly I'd never have believed Square Enix could come up with such a borked character growth system, but there it is and it's easily the worst character growth system I have ever seen in an RPG.
Old 2011-02-20, 02:39   Link #96
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Honestly I'd never have believed Square Enix could come up with such a borked character growth system, but there it is and it's easily the worst character growth system I have ever seen in an RPG.
However, it, like the battle system, shows quite a large amount of (wasted) potential, which is the sole reason I'm looking forward to XIII-2.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 11:22   Link #97
StarFox117

I'm on the fence about this, if the story is worthwhile I'll buy it though
StarFox117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 13:37   Link #98
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Immersing myself in a world doesn't equate to having zero input on how anything plays out. And this is coming from somebody who tried every way possible to enjoy FFXIII and still came up short. There's sadly nothing in that game that isn't pre-scripted. The plot progression is layed out (and I know this is cliche by this point) in a linear fashion where the only way to move is forward on the map, but not only that, there's only one way to win each boss battle via paradigm shift so you're not exactly doing much other than doing what the game has prescribed for you. Having no chance to design any sort of strategy really puts a damper on what I've come to know of RPG's from Square Enix.

However the absolute kicker which totally caught me off guard when I found out about it and immediately had me going, "Oh boy this is the death sign", is that the Crystogen system, the system that the team behind FFXIII came up with to govern stat growth, is also pre-scripted. All my dreams of getting an updated Sphere Grid system were shattered when I realized that the Crystogen system is also laid out as a straight line and that your growth rates are capped by the chapter such that any replay you might do your growth rates are going to turn out exactly the same each and every time. There's no room for experimentation with it because it doesn't allow for it by it's very nature. This to me was unforgivable and what ultimately brought the game down for me. Honestly I'd never have believed Square Enix could come up with such a borked character growth system, but there it is and it's easily the worst character growth system I have ever seen in an RPG.
You're remembering FFX with rose-colored glasses. The sphere grid was very linear in that you just kept moving forward and forward and forward until you got a zillion sphere grid level 1-4 unlocks and teleport spheres that allowed you to go nuts and do things like have Yuna doublecast ultima for 1 mana because of her celestial weapon.

Heck, before that, on the SNES, and even later in FFVII, it was "you leveled up, you got some stats, huzzah".

This whole idea of character building/customization/yadda yadda yadda is just something that never really caught on with me. I always saw an RPG as a story to play through, and whether or not you were able to customize your characters or they just progressed in a pre-scripted fashion didn't really matter to me so long as I could get through the game.

I mean if my party consists of some beefcake, his supermodel Ms. Fanservice girlfriend with a slight talent in magic, a bespectacled meganekko, some indigenous cute little fuzzy plucky relief character, and so on, I don't want to have to think whether I want to make my beefcake an elemental soldier or really strong big-sword swinging bruiser, to make his Ms. Fanservice girlfriend into a white, blue, black, red, green, or purple with orange polka dots mage (or to try to have her boobs of steel self become a fighter), for the meganekko to specialize in healing or assault tech, and for my plucky comic relief character to do one of a zillion different things.

Just advance the characters for me as to how the game should be progressing, and no need to get fancy to the point that "oh hey you should make character X into Y, character A into B, character K into L, etc..." guides. Because no matter how you customize your characters, the story doesn't change.
Old 2011-02-20, 16:08   Link #99
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
You're remembering FFX with rose-colored glasses. The sphere grid was very linear in that you just kept moving forward and forward and forward until you got a zillion sphere grid level 1-4 unlocks and teleport spheres that allowed you to go nuts and do things like have Yuna doublecast ultima for 1 mana because of her celestial weapon.

Heck, before that, on the SNES, and even later in FFVII, it was "you leveled up, you got some stats, huzzah".

This whole idea of character building/customization/yadda yadda yadda is just something that never really caught on with me. I always saw an RPG as a story to play through, and whether or not you were able to customize your characters or they just progressed in a pre-scripted fashion didn't really matter to me so long as I could get through the game.

I mean if my party consists of some beefcake, his supermodel Ms. Fanservice girlfriend with a slight talent in magic, a bespectacled meganekko, some indigenous cute little fuzzy plucky relief character, and so on, I don't want to have to think whether I want to make my beefcake an elemental soldier or really strong big-sword swinging bruiser, to make his Ms. Fanservice girlfriend into a white, blue, black, red, green, or purple with orange polka dots mage (or to try to have her boobs of steel self become a fighter), for the meganekko to specialize in healing or assault tech, and for my plucky comic relief character to do one of a zillion different things.

Just advance the characters for me as to how the game should be progressing, and no need to get fancy to the point that "oh hey you should make character X into Y, character A into B, character K into L, etc..." guides. Because no matter how you customize your characters, the story doesn't change.
See I believe that RPG's can be more than just a visual novel and you don't. Hell I've seen RPG's be more than a visual novel.

If you wish to keep criticizing me for this position then I suggest you tackle why everything but the story in an RPG video game, should be irrelevant. Once you've talked about that I think you'll have a better case. Also try to stay on point if you plan to do so instead of trailing off into hyperbole.

For now I'll say that at least the Sphere Grid wasn't capped by stretches of gameplay. That's really the main reason I was so immensely disappointed in the Crystogen system because frankly it's self-defeating. Whoever heard of capping an experience growth system so that it always turns out exactly the same at any given stretch of the game? Why even have one if you're going to do that?

Again this is coming from someone who literally made every effort possible to enjoy FFXIII for what it was, but there are limits to how canned an experience I am willing to play around with.
Old 2011-02-21, 04:31   Link #100
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

Liked the dialogue between Stella and Noctis, seen in other trailers that they gotta battle, so curious to see how this male/female relationship develops compared to the other previous FF couples.
This won't be the first time an FF couple have battled each other; VIII also had the couple battling at a point (okay, so Rinoa was being controlled by Adel and you really didn't battle her... )

and just to toss my two cents about an RPG versus a visual novel... the difference lies in what I consider to be the most defining point of the RPG genre: the leveling up. With VNs, there's only button clicking. Also, VNs tend to have multiple routes; RPGs are either Game Over or eventually beat the game, or in some newer games, Good End or Bad End (okay, so the last two are present in VNs as well). But putting hours upon hours of time into leveling your party up to take on upcoming foes and eventually the Final Boss, plus dictating every party member's actions (whether indirectly or directly) is what I consider to be the defining point of an RPG. I have to agree with Demongod86 about the classes... in fact, as I'm working through XII, that is what drives me crazy with the license board. I'm far too used to one character being your swordsman/woman, another being your white mage/healer, you have a gunslinger, etc.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote