AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 17 21.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 26.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-01, 12:26   Link #21
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

BTW....I wonder if all of those here in this Forums who have grabbed the Selecao badges as their avvies realised that it's like symbolically painting a big fat target on their backs.
Old 2009-05-01, 13:07   Link #22
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
BTW....I wonder if all of those here in this Forums who have grabbed the Selecao badges as their avvies realised that it's like symbolically painting a big fat target on their backs.
Hahaha, true...but I get a cool phone loaded with money. Actually, just having the phone would be enough. Though, I do hope XI's phone isn't pink...
Old 2009-05-01, 14:19   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I just hope No 3, turns out to be cool. Atleast it doesn't dissapear in the Opening.

Oh btw, Ascaloth, I remember you having an Akio-rapper avatar. Why the change?
Old 2009-05-01, 14:24   Link #24
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've seen the ep three times now, and although it seemed slow at first, there is actually a lot in it. We see how another Selecao uses his power to do good. We see Akira figuring out what's going on more fully. We see him developing some kind of determination. We see in his offer of money that as of now he is a pretty good guy. We see that the Supporter doesn't necessarily do the offing himself (previously used the detective's wife).

But I also learn that I am in it for the romance more than the intrigue. The early Saki bits were much more riveting for me. Another helping of Hayami Saori's wonderful voice, with a couple of sighs, an "I'm up," and a "What the heck am I doing?"

And next week more Saki.
Spoiler for ep5 preview info from website:
I especially like the screencaps from ep5:
Spoiler for ep5 screencaps:
There is no video preview, just a paragraph and some screencaps on the official site.

As for the motorbike scene, the bike at the edge was from Quadrophenia, but I'm sure Akira jumping down to the mountain of garbage and encountering the creatures was from some other movie or anime or something. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of that part as Akira's unconscious rising and giving him a scene from one of the movies buried in his mind.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-05-01 at 14:44.
Old 2009-05-01, 15:46   Link #25
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

This episode mostly confirmed many theories that were previously formed

Spoiler for episode4:

Old 2009-05-01, 16:02   Link #26
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I also learn that I am in it for the romance more than the intrigue. The early Saki bits were much more riveting for me.
The same goes for me, I believe. Saki's expression upon seeing Ryousuke, the pat on her head (which must have been painful at this point), and the sighs - definitely the highlight of the episode, which I don't get tired of rewatching. And the phone call from Oosugi, but that's also because I love his character, rosy cheeks included, lol. I should enjoy episode five even more.
Old 2009-05-01, 16:30   Link #27
BlackDove
Unheard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
The same goes for me, I believe. Saki's expression upon seeing Ryousuke, the pat on her head (which must have been painful at this point), and the sighs - definitely the highlight of the episode, which I don't get tired of rewatching. And the phone call from Oosugi, but that's also because I love his character, rosy cheeks included, lol. I should enjoy episode five even more.
The poster was the highlight there really.
Old 2009-05-01, 17:07   Link #28
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The poster was like: "if you hadn't guessed already here's a clue."

Old 2009-05-01, 17:22   Link #29
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Probably, Mystique may be excited in the picture of...
Spoiler for ep5:
Gomen, by preview, I did mean the screenshots and sypnosis for episode 5 from the Juiz website. There's toooons of info on there and even a relationship table too, so I usually check it out.
(Which is ironic with the amount of info they give on the website since Feb, but have no video preview on the anime itself...)
There's a new character from one of the screenshots in there who I'm kinda excited about, (whether they get limelight in ep 5 or wait until ep 6, not sure) but still am looking forward to checking it out.

I'm kinda surprised some people gave it a 10 this week, I kinda stuck a 7 (good) - I guess I'm a little spoiled from the light heartedness and fun it has been so far, this week felt calm.
But nonetheless important. ^^

(Wants more Mameshiba though...) >.>

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-05-01, 17:41   Link #30
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Spoiler:
I feel bad for him too. I hope he gets a girlfriend by the end of the series

And yay! Subs are out ( I know I'm late, heh )
I shall re-watch episode 4 and speculate later.
:3

EDIT
Spoiler for My thoughts:

Last edited by Starry Dust; 2009-05-01 at 18:20.
Old 2009-05-01, 19:02   Link #31
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

As an episode, it was essential to the plot but probably not as engaging as the previous ones. These are the types of episodes that can't be judged standalone and are only truly valuable within the context of the overall story.

That said, a lot of very interesting moments. The scene with Saki's brother-in-law pretty much confirms what most of us suspected, while the conversation with Hiura really advances a lot of the ideas that the plot is built around, and poses some nice little questions, especially about Mr. Outside (such as, who is he, what does he want, and how does he have 120 billion yen to spare). I think there was a recognition on Hiura's part that 10 billion yen isn't enough to save the nation, on whatever Outside's criteria is, so he went about using that money to do something decent before he was knocked off. The point is clear: this is a difficult, almost impossible game to win. Again, it raises the question about just what the point of the game is.

The pacing of the mystery continues to be one of the strongest things about this show. I'm really looking forward to finding out where this is going.
Old 2009-05-01, 22:02   Link #32
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolcat3 View Post
I just hope No 3, turns out to be cool. Atleast it doesn't dissapear in the Opening.

Oh btw, Ascaloth, I remember you having an Akio-rapper avatar. Why the change?
Why not? I periodically change my avvie after all; the MC Akio one, while cool, is no exception eventually.

Anyway, I've been thinking, "who watches the watchmen"? The Supporter is the Selecao designated to eliminate the other Selecao should they fulfil failure conditions; the question is, who has oversight over the Supporter? On a related note, if the result of the fulfilment of Mr. Outside's goal is the elimination of all other Selecao, does that include the Supporter's demise as well? Or perhaps, is this a game rigged such that the Supporter is always the one meant to survive in the end?
Old 2009-05-01, 22:17   Link #33
feRfe

the neet speculation is terribly interesting

anyone know where noblesse oblige comes from? reference to anything?
Old 2009-05-01, 22:32   Link #34
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It is a saying that i was already familiar with. Even thought i'm not french i've heard it in the original language form several times. I really do not know what's the original source, but which old saying's roots can actually be retraced?
This is no different from "c'est la vie" or "que sera sera".

It basically means: "Being noble entails responsibilities"

The seleçao certainly aren't "noble" but they are the "chosen" so they are above the common people as noble were in the France of the past. By saying that Juiz reminds them that they have great privileges but also great responsibilities.

@Ascaloth: I think the supporter has strong connections with the outsider or it was specifically selected for his fanaticism. In other words the outsider must be pretty sure that the supporter will do his work even if it goes against his best interest. That's not hard to believe considering what number V did.

Old 2009-05-01, 23:00   Link #35
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i probably missed this, but whats a NEET.. haha anyways, this is a pretty deep show. it'll spur much thinking from me when i'm not cram studying organic chemistry..
Old 2009-05-01, 23:01   Link #36
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i probably missed this, but whats a NEET.. haha anyways, this is a pretty deep show. it'll spur much thinking from me when i'm not cram studying organic chemistry..
Been asked before, but here you go again.
Old 2009-05-02, 00:14   Link #37
MidNteJ

Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-02, 00:24   Link #38
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidNteJ View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-02, 01:35   Link #39
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidNteJ View Post
Spoiler:
He was killed because he used up all his money, and the country wasn't saved, just a number of people.

As for whether the suit in ep1 is the same as here, I don't think it's the same suit. The earlier suit seemed reddish, with a blue tie; while the present suit seems beigey, with a reddish tie. Doesn't mean they aren't the same person, however. I like that thought.

And I don't think that in single-episode threads spoiler tags are necessary for anything that is in the episode itself, only for previews of future episodes.

There is now a thread for "spoilers and speculation."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-02, 01:57   Link #40
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
The winning streak continues, though I did wonder about whether that dream sequence was something from an earlier part of Akira's memories, especially in having this vast knowledge of movies in his head. It seemed kind of odd to waste that time on an almost inconsequential part instead of having him survey the wreckage.

In any event, I thought the part involving the doctor could have been executed in a way to maximize the emotional impact like that one story arc involving the benevolent psychiatrist who took care of children in Monster, so the fact that this was a straight-on narration was a little disappointing. At least now, we're clued in on a few more things and I hope things continue with the quality that this series has exuded so far.
Closed Thread