AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-16, 15:44   Link #3021
Hourai Rabbit
Blissfully Ignorant

I have a bit of a weird relationship with my religion. I consider myself a Roman Catholic but at the same time, I don't always agree with the decisions or policies of the Vatican and don't really go to church as frequently as I should. If you wanted to be technical about it, I guess I'm not particularly devout given that my motivations for remaining with the Church are respect for my upbringing and culture, and because the scripture, symbolism, and impact on western society all fascinate me. I have this thing about cathedrals, for example. They're just so...cool. At the same time I disagree on issues like abortion (people have free will for a reason, perhaps it would be more constructive to work towards a world where abortions are unnecessary), birth control (ties into the above), euthanasia and other such issues. Huge fan of separation of church and state, freedom for all kinds of opinions, even those that I disagree with, y'know, all that fun secular stuff.
Old 2011-02-16, 20:42   Link #3022
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Sephiroth View Post
Mafia's Boss, Killer, pedofile go to church, and i never read about anyone of them that burst into flame..

then I think that nobody burst in flame becouse PLAY and act like a satanist or becouse killed any animal to make a "sacrifice"
Mind you, actual Satanists (at least, the Church of Satan members) don't do animal sacrifice and other silly nonsensical stuff...

Walking into a place of worship is no different (for those not adhering to the faith) than walking into the grocery store, IMO; I have a fondness for the old churches in DC, and used to go to work early to meander around and visit in them. Seeing as I never burst into flame, and also attended my now ex bf's Easter service with his Catholic family, that's that.

I think nothing of going into a church for moral support for a friend, or a wedding, or funeral or whatever. Their faith and way of life isn't mine, and vice versa, but that's OK; it doesn't prevent us from supporting each other, even if that means sitting through a 3 or 4 hour Catholic church service and leaving my Baphomet at home

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 13:19   Link #3023
Shion_Sanada
Charlotte`s Knight

Location: Mostly earth, and off course beside Charlotte-tan`s side
Well, to be honest, i don`t have any religion. But it doesn`t mean that I`m atheist, because I`m believe there is a God, and why I don`t have religion? It`s a troublesome for me I think.
Shion_Sanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 14:08   Link #3024
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Then you're a Deist?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 21:36   Link #3025
Shion_Sanada
Charlotte`s Knight

Location: Mostly earth, and off course beside Charlotte-tan`s side
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Then you're a Deist?
Err, I don`t know, maybe yes.. maybe no..
Shion_Sanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 22:41   Link #3026
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Existential Infinitism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Then you're a Deist?
Haak, Deism is the belief that God created the laws of our universe and let it run itself. Just because Shion says he/she doesn't "do" religion doesn't mean that he/she's Deist.
Old 2011-02-17, 23:01   Link #3027
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Theist would be more accurate, though that is a broader term.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 04:42   Link #3028
LonelyGirl
Observer.
*Artist

Well Haruhiism of course lmao

But if we are talking realistically I dont have a religion.
My parents never put me in one nor have they ever talked about it to me. I dont know why but it was probably to let me choose for myself, or at least thats what my friend said to me.

So the question remains do I believe in a God?
I dont really believe there is a God, with everything I've seen a God existing just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT : I deleted a lot of stuff I said when I was emotional lol
But my original point remains <3
LonelyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 14:22   Link #3029
JC...
I am a Pie

I believe there may be a God/Creator though not in the form of any gods created by human mind. If not, why does existence exist?
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 18:13   Link #3030
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyGirl View Post
I dont really believe there is a God, with everything I've seen a God existing just doesn't make sense to me.
What about the possibility that God exists but he's a sadist who likes to watch his creations suffer? That fits the evidence much better than this "all-loving but tragically misunderstood" crap.

Quote:
EDIT : I deleted a lot of stuff I said when I was emotional lol
Hey, we've all been there... Sometimes just typing it out then deleting it is cathartic
Old 2011-02-18, 20:50   Link #3031
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
I believe there may be a God/Creator though not in the form of any gods created by human mind. If not, why does existence exist?
Because its a natural result of the physics?
Old 2011-02-18, 21:09   Link #3032
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Because its a natural result of the physics?
physics hasn't gone as far as to explain why the universe exists, not beyong the big bang theory. (so what was BEFORE the big bang and WHY and HOW?) then there is the quantum thing, where the world exists only as long as its perceived by someone. then there is hinduism, which says that the world is an illusion, and only after death we can reunite with the one thing that is not illusionary - atman. the person asked a good question. "why existence exists?". think about it. why should anything exist at all? why can't it not ? why should it?
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 22:47   Link #3033
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Physics is about "how things happen". "why" is a metaphysical question that depends on the baggage you brought with you to the observation.

Time is an aspect of spacetime and not extricable as a separate property. Asking what happened "before" the Big Bang is somewhat like asking "what is North of the North Pole?" or "where is the 91st latitude?". But this is the religion thread so that's as far as I'm going to go with that.
Old 2011-02-18, 22:53   Link #3034
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Well, it is interesting to think what it was like before the big bang. The universe as we know, is that all there is to reality? I think not. Heck, the big bang could have been one of very many.
Old 2011-02-19, 00:28   Link #3035
idiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Physics is about "how things happen". "why" is a metaphysical question that depends on the baggage you brought with you to the observation.

Time is an aspect of spacetime and not extricable as a separate property. Asking what happened "before" the Big Bang is somewhat like asking "what is North of the North Pole?" or "where is the 91st latitude?". But this is the religion thread so that's as far as I'm going to go with that.
i don't agree on the "before big bang" thing. why not? as far as religion is concerned, for example, god was before the big bang. (i'm thinking outside the box here, don't tell me that some religion says that big bang theory is blasphemy)
and sure as heck, scientists would love to find out what was before the big bang. its just that so far their theories are boring. like - there were particles, they collided - bang!
its actually one of the things that is supposed to prove the existance of god. when u come to an end, when you can't answer "where did this come from?" or "what made this phenomenon happen?", you come to god. because he is eternal blah blah you know the rest. its just a theory i like...
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2011-02-19, 00:37   Link #3036
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
its actually one of the things that is supposed to prove the existance of god. when u come to an end, when you can't answer "where did this come from?" or "what made this phenomenon happen?", you come to god. because he is eternal blah blah you know the rest. its just a theory i like...
I know you're just quoting an example, but this is exactly the bogus logic I was alluding to in my last post. Let's throw the theists a bone here and assume there has to be a First Cause, even if it only precedes the Big Bang in a causal sense and not a temporal one. Let's even call it God, because hey, if it was called Slartibartfast people might laugh at it.

Now what? We have our "God" but what else can we say about it, other than it had the power to bring the known universe into existence? We can't infer anything about its nature, not even that it continued to exist after doing its job: maybe the Big Bang was to God as a supernova is to a dying star? We certainly can't get from First Cause to "God loves you and takes a personal interest in your life unless of course you're homosexual or watch anime" (or, to be fair, that God is invisble, pink, and suspiciously unicorn-shaped).
Old 2011-02-19, 00:42   Link #3037
Asuras
Dictadere~!

The fact that there are several worshiping religions with completely different stories across every continent but Antarctica only serves to prove that none of us are right.
Old 2011-02-19, 00:53   Link #3038
idiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I know you're just quoting an example, but this is exactly the bogus logic I was alluding to in my last post. Let's throw the theists a bone here and assume there has to be a First Cause, even if it only precedes the Big Bang in a causal sense and not a temporal one. Let's even call it God, because hey, if it was called Slartibartfast people might laugh at it.

Now what? We have our "God" but what else can we say about it, other than it had the power to bring the known universe into existence? We can't infer anything about its nature, not even that it continued to exist after doing its job: maybe the Big Bang was to God as a supernova is to a dying star? We certainly can't get from First Cause to "God loves you and takes a personal interest in your life unless of course you're homosexual or watch anime" (or, to be fair, that God is invisble, pink, and suspiciously unicorn-shaped).
i literally LOL'ed 2 times at your post. i have nothing to argue, its just that u have a great sense of humor. damn that was funny)
Old 2011-02-19, 01:18   Link #3039
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
i don't agree on the "before big bang" thing. why not? as far as religion is concerned, for example, god was before the big bang. (i'm thinking outside the box here, don't tell me that some religion says that big bang theory is blasphemy)
and sure as heck, scientists would love to find out what was before the big bang. its just that so far their theories are boring. like - there were particles, they collided - bang!
wow.. .utterly missed or ignored what I said. You keep using "before" ... and no, that's not how the theory works or is described. Might want to look it up before trying that again.
Old 2011-02-19, 01:35   Link #3040
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
In other words, you subscribe to a God of the gaps perspective, which basically amounts to a form of argumentum ad ignorantium. Noted.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion