AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-12, 17:14   Link #1
digger314

Supernatural/sci-fi romance, no tragic ending

Tragedies are just not my thing. There's plenty of it in the real world.

It doesn't matter if a significant part of the series is dark/tragic. I just don't want the ending to be tragic. Yes I realize suggestions themselves will be a form of spoilers but that is acceptable to me.

Preferably something that actually progresses and doesn't just stay at misunderstandings/love polygons, but it's not a requirement.

What I've watched that fit the bill at least somewhat (in no particular order):

- Spice and wolf
- Eureka 7 (the second half was actually decent)
- Full metal panic
- Shakugan no Shana
- Zero no Tsukaima
- Macross Frontier
- Banner/crest of stars

Thanks!
Old 2009-07-12, 17:33   Link #2
jedinat

Onegai Teacher - happy ending after quite a bit of angstiness in the second half
Gunparade March - the rest of the series is better than the first episode
Howl no Ugoku Shiro - the ending is ridiculously happy and convenient, but that's OK by me
Old 2009-07-12, 18:16   Link #3
Slick_rick

RahXephon-Probably one of the best and most romantic endings I've ever seen. I love this series
Noein- Excellent series with a very happy ending.

Both of these series have a fair amount of tragic events though.
Old 2009-07-12, 18:29   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
RahXephon-Probably one of the best and most romantic endings I've ever seen. I love this series.
RahXephon doesn't really have a happy ending... it might be happy for the characters, but not a really happy ending for the viewers, lol. Personally, I found it rather depressing.
Old 2009-07-12, 20:28   Link #5
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
RahXephon doesn't really have a happy ending... it might be happy for the characters, but not a really happy ending for the viewers, lol. Personally, I found it rather depressing.
Honestly I've watched it a lot and I have no idea why anyone would consider it depressing. The ending was as happy as they come. PM me, I'd like to know why you think so.
Old 2009-07-12, 20:34   Link #6
digger314

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

I've actually seen RahXephon already and liked it. My memories of it are actually kind of fuzzy so I'll probably rewatch it one of these days. It is on my favorite list for some reason... hmm
Old 2009-07-12, 21:35   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Here are some suggestions:

Da Capo II Second Season: I have yet to watch the first season but the second season seemed pretty sad with the exception of a happy ending. Considering that the sakura tree plays a major role in the Da Capo series, it is only natural to say that the anime features supernatural elements.

Rosario to Vampire Capu2: Well, there is a vampire, a succubus, an ice woman, a witch, and all sorts of monsters and a human male turned vampire as protagonist. Sounds supernatural?

Shikabane Hime: Aka: This one may seem to be filled with doom and gloom as that the female lead's original partner Keisei dies in vain near the end trying to take down a powerful enemy by using forbidden techniques but unfortunately, his moves were useless against the other guy. In second season, it turns out that the powerful enemy who killed him was the actual good guy as that Keisei had been defending the Kougon which is merely just a typical cult due to its traditional practices. However, you cannot consider it as having a tragic ending as that the protagonist teams up with the female lead to fight the undead. Nonetheless, you might not like this one. The story is dark and depressing but the beginning greatly resemble Devil May Cry but as it progresses, it changes into something more unique.

Tayutama -Kiss on my Deity-: I am not sure if you can consider it as having a happy ending as that the female lead dies yet she is still alive. Difficult to explain it as that you will have to watch to understand. Generally, the female lead is a deity.

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode: Birdy-san is an alien from another planet and she fights other aliens when she isn't at her part-time modeling career. This is actually a remake in which Birdy-san looks more awesome!

TOKKO: The ending isn't really a tragic one but I wouldn't call it a happy ending either as that it doesn't really end and there is no sequel.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo: Oryo-san seems to attract supernatural occurrences while getting involved with multiple scientific experiments. Her subordinate seems rather lame but he is actually a pretty good fighter but Oryo is a lot better.
Old 2009-07-13, 07:23   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to toss Oh! Edo Rocket into this mix. Even though it's set in 1842-43, it's still a science-fiction show with spaceships, aliens, TVs, and blogs. It has a lovely couple as the main characters and a happy ending.
Old 2009-07-13, 07:47   Link #9
Saleh
Inactive

Some more-

Mai-Hime is best known for its happy ending

The Third takes place in post apocalyptic period. Even though it has little in terms of romance, its one of the good sci-fi series out there. In a way its similar to shakagun no shana in its ending.

Heroic Age is a shonen series with overpowered characters, lots of intense space battles, no tradgedy.
Old 2009-07-14, 15:21   Link #10
cerrian

I've been tossing it around in my mind for a while, but I keep coming back to xxxHolic despite the fact that it can be a bit episodic with mini-arcs. I'm only concerned that it might not give you enough closure as your are looking for. Nonetheless, a great character show that probes a number of philosophical and moral issues in a supernatural setting.

For the best ending that I've ever seen I'd have to recommend Gunbuster.
Old 2009-07-14, 15:34   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
I've been tossing it around in my mind for a while, but I keep coming back to xxxHolic despite the fact that it can be a bit episodic with mini-arcs. I'm only concerned that it might not give you enough closure as your are looking for. Nonetheless, a great character show that probes a number of philosophical and moral issues in a supernatural setting.

For the best ending that I've ever seen I'd have to recommend Gunbuster.
You missed the main ingredient of his request... "romance."
Old 2009-07-14, 16:21   Link #12
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
You missed the main ingredient of his request... "romance."
heh...yes I did indeed
Old 2009-07-14, 23:03   Link #13
digger314

Thanks again! I'll check out xxxHolic/gunbuster too. The thread was for romance series but I'll watch any good series.
Closed Thread