AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-09, 16:50   Link #461
kakakka

See, that's another reason why I think it's removed XD. But I rather liked the sushi test too, so...

_______

Yes, they are left with ideas of what they wanted to do as long as it follows the criteria and the goals that the executors established.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 16:51   Link #462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I think the assumption is that the examiners submit proposals to the examination committee for approval before they actually get implemented. After all, the committee needs to make actually make all the arrangements necessary to let the test happen. Do you really think Menchi bought all the cooking equipment, brought it to a marsh in the middle of nowhere and set it up all by herself? The committee obviously needs to be involved. The idea that the committee just assigned her a vague task of "test them on observation" and then let her do whatever is kind of absurd.
As Leorio explained, it's not difficult for Hunters to become filthy rich. And she's a very successful one. So, no, it's not impossible for her to do all that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 17:02   Link #463
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
As Leorio explained, it's not difficult for Hunters to become filthy rich. And she's a very successful one. So, no, it's not impossible for her to do all that.
I didn't say it was impossible, but would she want to? Seems like a waste of time, especially if you don't plan on passing anyone.

At the very least though, she had to coordinate with Satotz in order to make the 1st Test end at the location of the 2nd Test. I really really doubt they do all this without communicating with the committee on even the most basic level.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 17:07   Link #464
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I didn't say it was impossible, but would she want to? Seems like a waste of time, especially if you don't plan on passing anyone.
Hunters are weird, and examiners are volunteers, so who knows? (Besides, she wasn't planning on failing everyone.)

Quote:
At the very least though, she had to coordinate with Satotz in order to make the 1st Test end at the location of the 2nd Test. I really really doubt they do all this without communicating with the committee on even the most basic level.
Sure, but there's nothing there forcing her to reveal the contents of her test.
Old 2011-11-09, 17:10   Link #465
kakakka

Eh, she still want to test them though. It doesn't have anything to do with not passing anyone.
Old 2011-11-10, 04:29   Link #466
yomisama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
They approved that she'll make a test based on what they agreed on, which is about observation and concentration. It's up to the Gourmet Hunters to think of the rest. And the sushi test is thought up by Menchi based on how she wanted to challenge the examinees.

And I don't understand what you meant about the paragraph with Hanzo. Based on what she's expecting, it doesn't matter if he knows about making sushi or not; he's still have to go through the test and her assessment.

LOL! Thanks for putting up with all the typos in my previous post! Teaches me right for playing with the keyboard on my mobile

It seems to me where opinions diverge on the sushi test was whether it was outright impossible to complete in the first place, or whether it was a sensible test albeit the judging was flawed or the goal posts were moved.

My interpretation of the 'danger signs' constantly echoed by Buhara at the start of the chapter, and Hanzo's pertinent retort to Menchi's declaration that you need 10 years practice to make good sushi, allowed me to make no conclusion other than that Menchi shifted the goal posts. That she later whinges to Netero that 'someone knew the recipie' sealed the deal for me.

As to why Menchi shifted the goal posts - I think that's just down to her character - again, continuously hinted at by Buhara - that Menchi would lose sight of the task at hand and be a 'cook' rather than an 'examiner'.

There's not much else I can add and I am happy for people to have different interpretations and opinions. However, my last two cents are that I found it was substantially more unique and creative to put tools, ingredients, verbal hints and postural hints together and require candidates to speculate, postulate, deduce and create something which comes as close as possible to the form of sushi, as opposed to some generalised "I need to be creative in cooking an everyday produce with no specific restrictions, guidelines or criteria..."

Cheers
yomisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 08:35   Link #467
jcdietz03

Everyone who has watched Toriko is reminded of it by the Bishoku (gourmet) Hunter examiners this week. It's basically exactly parallel: Get rare ingredients, cook & eat them, and all if it is serious business.

And I remember the dog from Excel Saga too.... XD
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 11:23   Link #468
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisama View Post
LOL! Thanks for putting up with all the typos in my previous post! Teaches me right for playing with the keyboard on my mobile

It seems to me where opinions diverge on the sushi test was whether it was outright impossible to complete in the first place, or whether it was a sensible test albeit the judging was flawed or the goal posts were moved.

(...)

There's not much else I can add and I am happy for people to have different interpretations and opinions. However, my last two cents are that I found it was substantially more unique and creative to put tools, ingredients, verbal hints and postural hints together and require candidates to speculate, postulate, deduce and create something which comes as close as possible to the form of sushi, as opposed to some generalised "I need to be creative in cooking an everyday produce with no specific restrictions, guidelines or criteria..."

Cheers
It's good to talk like this. I also like the different take on the sushi test and Menchi's character during that.

I think the hints are very vague. Even Kurapica didn't get it. While everywhere is a possible hint, there is no telling they will get close to what Menchi thinks as sushi. While there are specific criteria, it's still vague to the candidates, it's almost the same of having no criteria at all. Hanzo is the one closest to passing, but he did not pass in the end; which led me to believe no one can really pass.
Old 2011-11-10, 17:13   Link #469
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Hanzo is the one closest to passing, but he did not pass in the end; which led me to believe no one can really pass.
I always just thought that Hanzo not passing was just his waiting too long to present the dish. No one was taking the test that seriously, sparking her temper. Once she became stubborn, no one was going to pass the test.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 12:23   Link #470
kitten320

Does anyone know why some characters hair colours are different from original series?
Old 2011-11-13, 00:45   Link #471
Clarste
Human

No particular reason. I think those characters never appeared on any color pages in the manga so the anime just guessed. And Hisoka's hair changed color mid-season in the first anime anyway.
Old 2011-11-13, 01:57   Link #472
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2011-11-13, 02:07   Link #473
Clarste
Human

Spoiler for 07:
Old 2011-11-13, 05:39   Link #474
rinichan

All I can say is that they sensor this scene from the manga
Spoiler for image:

But at least they add it....
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:45   Link #475
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinichan View Post
All I can say is that they sensor this scene from the manga
Spoiler for image:

But at least they add it....
Well that scene would have made this a TV-MA title. This show is obviously being aimed at a younger audience.

They also made more in the grey zone to look like he was provoked while being pissed off. To look like he took out his frustation on those 2 unfortunate hunters.
Old 2011-11-13, 10:01   Link #476
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well that scene would have made this a TV-MA title. This show is obviously being aimed at a younger audience.

They also made more in the grey zone to look like he was provoked while being pissed off. To look like he took out his frustation on those 2 unfortunate hunters.
Kudos to the anime team for the little "silence" during that scene. Presented from the outside, in chinese shadows style. It really helped to set the tone aside from the joyfull game a few seconds ago.
I also liked how Killua's face gradually changed during the episode. From "all round" to "edgy".

And of course, the scene with Hisoka was ok. Might have been better, but might have been far worse handled too. So it's fine.

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 12:47   Link #477
ookamigirl

Relaxing before the next phase..
Gon & Killua sure had some "fun" with the old man.
Really fun episode!
There is much more to Killua than what he shows. He will be a dangerous opponent.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:09   Link #478
Vicious108

Quote:
Spoiler for 07:
Um, Hisoka killed a lot of dudes too. Just in a less brutal manner than Killua, but that's how it was in the manga as well. And even though we clearly see those guys' heads being ripped to shreds in those silhouettes, it still seemed as if there was little to no blood to me.

Anyway, that was probably the best episode so far. Loved the animation during Netero's little game with Gon and Killua.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:23   Link #479
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Anyway, that was probably the best episode so far. Loved the animation during Netero's little game with Gon and Killua.
Surprisingly I agree.I would put this episode on par with the old anime. At some aspects it was better but at some it was worse hence my verdict. The better part was that overall it stuck better to the original. Including Anita was a bad move and not showing Killua killing a guy was also a letdown in the old version. On the other hand, Hisoka was better shown in the old version and the first part of the fight with Netero was also done better in the old version IMO. I'm not entirely sure but I think in the new version they forgot to mention that Killua and Gon were offered Hunter license if they won. Here they were eager to do it just for fun. Also, in the new version it's been explicitly stated that if Netero was ordinary human his shinbone would be shattered but I've had an impression Netero was talking about Killua. Although that probably was translator's fault, not creator of the anime. Another thing, Anita noticing that Gon wouldn't be able to take the ball even if he trained 1 year made more sense than Killua saying it if we take into account that Killua later said he was afraid he would have killed Netero. Yeah, and how would he do that to a person he wouldn't be able to beat in a ball-brawl even after 1 year of training? But these are minor things and overall it was the first good episode (I wonder though if I'm not saying it partially because of what I saw one week ago, which was so crappy that in comparison everything decent would look like a godly episode).

Oh, one more thing. It's a shame there was no fanservice here :P. Old anime creators knew how to keep slightly older audience entertained ;P.
Spoiler for size:

As for the episode itself, my favorite part was the one where Netero told the captain of the ship to slow down to let Gon rest. Him being a nice old geezer is one of the reasons I consider him as one of my favourite (if not all time favourite) character in HxH.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:07   Link #480
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Surprisingly I agree.I would put this episode on par with the old anime. At some aspects it was better but at some it was worse hence my verdict. The better part was that overall it stuck better to the original. Including Anita was a bad move and not showing Killua killing a guy was also a letdown in the old version. On the other hand, Hisoka was better shown in the old version and the first part of the fight with Netero was also done better in the old version IMO. I'm not entirely sure but I think in the new version they forgot to mention that Killua and Gon were offered Hunter license if they won.
They didn't.

Quote:
Here they were eager to do it just for fun. Also, in the new version it's been explicitly stated that if Netero was ordinary human his shinbone would be shattered but I've had an impression Netero was talking about Killua. Although that probably was translator's fault, not creator of the anime. Another thing, Anita noticing that Gon wouldn't be able to take the ball even if he trained 1 year made more sense than Killua saying it if we take into account that Killua later said he was afraid he would have killed Netero. Yeah, and how would he do that to a person he wouldn't be able to beat in a ball-brawl even after 1 year of training?
That's because Killua wasn't going all out either. But if he did, he'd have to go for the kill, and he wasn't willing to do that.

Tags
action, shounen