AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

Old 2006-01-20, 02:18   Link #21
TerryMathews

One of the chipper characters, like Sia or Asa, could be voiced by Jennifer Earhart (Yurika from Nadesico, manager from Princess Nine, somebody unimportant from Gasaraki). I think Asa would be a pretty decent fit.
TerryMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 02:42   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. probably be best to use a British Royal class accent for Nerine and her dad.... for all the demons for that matter. The gods should be Irish

... come on.. what ELSE could Sia and God-chan be?

(firmly in Furudanuki's camp in regard to skepticism)
Old 2006-01-20, 05:40   Link #23
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

... Irish? *shudder*

nah okay ... it 'might' work ... though it will be rather hard to hit Kareha imo
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 08:03   Link #24
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwisher
nah okay ... it 'might' work ... though it will be rather hard to hit Kareha imo
imo its hard to work for all the cast, easily said. ^^;
Old 2006-01-20, 08:19   Link #25
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

true ... what i meant was that it would be harder to hit Kareha than pretty much every other ...
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 09:36   Link #26
Furudanuki

Actually, from my point of view, finding out that a dub was being done for Shuffle! would be welcome news indeed. Not for the dub per se, but because that would mean that the series actually managed to get licensed, and that a commercial quality region 1 DVD (hopefully with extra goodies) would be on the way! And if the dub isn't any good, well that's what the audio track and subtitle display buttons on my DVD player are for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwisher
true ... what i meant was that it would be harder to hit Kareha than pretty much every other ...
Since this thread appeared, one of my nightmares has been the thought of Kareha being dubbed with a "valley girl" accent. Given her appearance and the way she acts, it would unfortunately be a distinct possibility.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 12:20   Link #27
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

I just hate the way all American girls sound, espcially Valley Girls. You just gave me terrible nightmares, Furudanuki...
wildarmsheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 17:17   Link #28
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
You've just killed Shuffle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildarmsheero
English dubs are for the most part disgusting. I do not want to think about this.
I fully agree with both of you.
I don't like bleeding ears, so I avoid English dubs
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 14:09   Link #29
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
i prefer jap VAs.
they sound much, much much more nicer.
SnakeLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 17:28   Link #30
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

Don't say "Jap" lest you want to sound like some American WWII Vetran who hates Japanese people.
wildarmsheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 00:57   Link #31
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildarmsheero
Don't say "Jap" lest you want to sound like some American WWII Vetran who hates Japanese people.
Well, yes. Either say JP or Japanese.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 14:52   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In fact... most forums have explicit rules against that term..... I agree typing out "japanese" gets tiresome, so I usually resort to the www domain shortening JP.
((if you want to get your knees broken in both directions ... use that term near my wife whose American-born relatives spent time in incarceration camps during WW2 or fighting in the 442nd battalion in Italy, the term has extreme racial prejudice connotations))

but on topic ... japanese VAs (on average) just appear to have better vocal dynamics and MORE ACTING SKILLS than whatever pool they pull the english VAs from.

I just purchased the Azumanga Daioh collection (yes, I'm slow) and was test listening to the english dub and comparing it to the original voices. <sigh> Most of the english VAs *sound* like they're just reading the lines in a studio ... expecially Chiyo --- who has a large amount of the dialog. I will say they did a fair job of selecting the voices and the choice of a Houston, TX accent for Kasuga works very well. The translation itself is just ....abysmal. Not only does it miss subtlety but just repeatedly misses the spirit of the scene. And if you haven't heard their teacher, Yukari, shrieking in japanese --- you just haven't seen Azumanga Daioh... the english VA is so outclassed its like a very bad karaoke night.

Like Furudanuki says.... the sole nicety of having to make these decisions is that we'll get to see the DVDs in region 1 lands for more reasonable prices.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-01-22 at 15:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 15:20   Link #33
TehKev

Send a message via AIM to TehKev
Wow, this is a one sided topic. I don't understand people who say all english dubs are OMG TERRIBLE cause there are some pretty damn good ones out there. But the ratio of that is like 20:1 or something. I'm a fan of pretty much most of ADV's dubbing really.

On the original topic though, personally I kind of agree with a few of the choices on the first post, while others just wouldn't work. There are alot of shows that slip under the radar and never get dubbed, I have a feeling Shuffle! might be one of those really.
TehKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 15:40   Link #34
marclemagne
~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I just purchased the Azumanga Daioh collection (yes, I'm slow) and was test listening to the english dub and comparing it to the original voices. <sigh> Most of the english VAs *sound* like they're just reading the lines in a studio ... expecially Chiyo --- who has a large amount of the dialog. I will say they did a fair job of selecting the voices and the choice of a Houston, TX accent for Kasuga works very well. The translation itself is just ....abysmal. Not only does it miss subtlety but just repeatedly misses the spirit of the scene. And if you haven't heard their teacher, Yukari, shrieking in japanese --- you just haven't seen Azumanga Daioh... the english VA is so outclassed its like a very bad karaoke night.
Wow, I actually liked the dubbing when I watched this originally... I thought the show was insane (ly funny) to begin with, but I think I'm definitely going to re-Netflix it now to check out the original voice acting. I'm not sure my stomach would be able to handle it if the show got any funnier, though.

"If love can kill then surely hatred can save."
-Altena; Noir
marclemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 16:21   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've decided its probably better to watch the english dub first if one is going to ever watch it in english. Otherwise, don't bother...

I should note that I prefer ALL foreign films in their original language with subtitles, even if I have no idea what is being said (I can kind of follow German as well as Japanese). The original language voice casting directors just obviously take a lot more time in the selection process --- whereas the dubbers are on a penny budget and tend to use the same 5 or 10 people repeatedly perhaps because they're just predictable to work with.

I probably overstated a bit about Azumanga's english dub... I've seen far worse (Aoi's voice and dialog in AYA makes me throw up, Keitaro's voice in LH ... all I can think of is Hammy from USAcres). But it is still "C" work compared to the "A" work of the original.

off topic Azumanga remarks:
Spoiler:

The collected set of Azumanga is now available in one package for really pretty cheap $62.99 USD at amazon ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
or other fine dealing locations...

I just can't imagine anyone doing Nerine's formal, sweet voice properly (its a large part of her personality) or Kareha's subtle depth (rather than just a silly shallow girl) or anyone *remotely* achieving Kaede's emotional dynamics out of the "usual pack of english VAs" we see on most credit lines. Who's going to be able to do justice to Asa's playful lilt?

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-01-22 at 16:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 18:14   Link #36
Furudanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I've decided its probably better to watch the english dub first if one is going to ever watch it in english. Otherwise, don't bother...
Absolute truth. Once you have heard the original voice and associated it with the character in your mind, even a very talented voice actor is going to have a hard time making the dub convincing. And there is not exactly a huge pool of very talented voice actors available at the price that most studios are willing to pay. When you hear the dubbed voice first there is no existing impression to overcome, so it doesn't always start out as disappointing and go downhill from there. Though, unfortunately, they do tend to go downhill anyway more often than not.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 21:21   Link #37
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
Absolute truth. Once you have heard the original voice and associated it with the character in your mind, even a very talented voice actor is going to have a hard time making the dub convincing. And there is not exactly a huge pool of very talented voice actors available at the price that most studios are willing to pay. When you hear the dubbed voice first there is no existing impression to overcome, so it doesn't always start out as disappointing and go downhill from there. Though, unfortunately, they do tend to go downhill anyway more often than not.
Actually, for me it comes down to which I heard first. I still have a problem listening to Cowboy Bebop in Japanese. To me the characters are defined by the first VA's I heard voicing them. I have a slightly different problem in general though, as the only way my wife will watch any anime with me (which somewhat translates as "allow me to watch in the living room on the 60" tv without griping") is if I listen to the English VA's. Though generally not as good as in the original language (which is true for most things), it should also be noted that there are some dubs where at least they work pretty well without losing the original meaning.

(Though watching Fullmetal Alchemist in English is killing me ... which is really killing me, because my wife really enjoys it so far ... so I want her to keep watching ... but that means putting up with the dub ... *sigh*)
Old 2006-01-22, 21:22   Link #38
Bishoujomae

dont like Dub period ^^ but they are alway enjoyable :P (especially when your drunk)
Bishoujomae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 21:34   Link #39
Cyz
"Show it to me"

then again, i still want to see how shuffle! would fare up if it was dubbed. i know, ppl.'s expectations are low (or none at all) but it's still worth waiting. maybe geneon or adv films would try dubbing it hm?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 00:33   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd probably cringe the least if ADV or Geneon handled it ... but it all comes down to two departments: voice casting (and I mean assessing the acting skills in addition to the sound) and the translation writing --- the difference between Shakespeare and a daytime soap is in the writing... usually the same plot but ----