AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-06, 16:41   Link #201
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Spoiler for episode 1:
Old 2007-10-06, 17:41   Link #202
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I had no expectations going in, having no experience with this property before. And what did I get?

Beautiful Tenmon music as always. Which clashed horribly with the spastic cuts, color splashes, and sudden change that are Shaft's mark. I fail utterly to see where they are going with this storyline with this first episode...which is not a good thing. It should at least give a taster, a feel for what is to come.

I may watch more, but this is one time where I think Shaft should have reined themselves in and just produced some white-bread animation.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 17:49   Link #203
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For my part, I thought the first episode was very interesting and different, and I liked it. Then again, I'm a big fan of Shaft's trademark style. It does seem the approach is a bit different from the game, but I think I need to see more episodes to know where they're going with it. The Shaft/minori artistic fusion worked for me, but I can definitely see how it'd be an acquired taste.

It's difficult to judge the whole series on this first episode, but I'll definitely keep watching. And some motion issues aside (though I didn't see as many as Skyfall), the animation and art sure is pretty, and the music is great. If they continue to build from here, I'll be happy.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 17:51   Link #204
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
I fail utterly to see where they are going with this storyline with this first episode...
You and me both
But in my case this feels like heading into the unknown - and what an exciting feeling it is (kinda a deja vu feeling from what i recieved watching touka gettan - and that turned out to be ana amazing series )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 17:58   Link #205
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I like. The music and the pseudo-Shinkai settings were great. And I personally love the artsy treatment. I find that it deepens the feelings rather than causing confusion, although I can certainly see how someone might feel differently.

I was afraid from the preview that the game voices wouldn't work in the anime, but they do so far, for me.

I like the mysterious and romantic mood. Especially the romantic feeling of the seashore snowfall scene, and the railway platform scenes. The music by Tenmon is extremely important to the feel of the show. I'm with Deathkillz in my reaction to the mysteriousness of the episode: it feels like the beginning of an interesting journey. We can hope.

The trend to covert references continues:
-- Mail subject: "Zetsubou shita"
-- Pocky brand: "Shaft."
-- Konata in the game being played at 07:56?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 17:59   Link #206
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
For my part, I thought the first episode was very interesting and different, and I liked it. Then again, I'm a big fan of Shaft's trademark style. It does seem the approach is a bit different from the game, but I think I need to see more episodes to know where they're going with it. The Shaft/minori artistic fusion worked for me, but I can definitely see how it'd be an acquired taste.

It's difficult to judge the whole series on this first episode, but I'll definitely keep watching. And some motion issues aside (though I didn't see as many as Skyfall), the animation and art sure is pretty, and the music is great. If they continue to build from here, I'll be happy.

^ as far as motion problems go... from the top of my head i can name 3 scenes -
Spoiler for episode 1:

Overall it is nothing to cry over, but i would say the movements look somewhat unrefined My biggest issue is going to be the 'artistic' moments - i can already tell they are not gong to grow on me anytime soon, meaning they will keep to be 'intrusive' for me, thus leaving a not exactly positive impact on my overall viewing experience
Old 2007-10-06, 18:22   Link #207
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
^ as far as motion problems go... from the top of my head i can name 3 scenes -
Spoiler for episode 1:

Overall it is nothing to cry over, but i would say the movements look somewhat unrefined
Oh, you know what I think part of this is? CG/animation blending. All of those scenes have background scrolling at rates that are slightly off from the animation which causes the animation to stick out more. Though I don't necessarily disagree either that the motions themselves aren't too wonderful either in those scenes. All in all, though, yeah - we'll see if it becomes a regular problem, or is just something about the sub-contracting for this episode.

We'll also see what happens as far as that artistic thing goes. I could see them cutting back on it a bit and/or refining it a bit as we get deeper into the story. It would really interfere if it too much farther than it did here, but I didn't mind most of it, personally. Like I said, though, I was already a fan of the style to begin with, so maybe that's just my bias speaking.

Edit: Oh yeah, in terms of the episode in general, I also wanted to say -- about the story...
Spoiler:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 22:03   Link #208
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I didn't mind the storytelling approach to ep. 1. Thought it was pretty cool, actually. What I did mind was Mizuki. They made her look all wrong. That hair... ugh! (ETA: And by Miyako, I meant Mizuki. Whoops.)
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:17   Link #209
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Something about Shaft that always pulls me in the series they have done so far, and this show is no exception. I'm not sold yet on the series although I do want to know more about the story. The animation... well, I'll say that the worst has yet to come and there is no Shinbou this time around to distract us when the animation becomes dire. When the CG used to detail the background stands out from the animated movements, it tells me the show is already stretching the budget. There is also those short-cut tricks employed to avoid further animated movements, i.e. the camera moves away from the characters when they are exchanging dialogues and focuses from a distance so there won't be any need for lip movements. There were a few shots here and there that I liked a lot nonetheless.

I also would like to admit my utter disliking for Takagi Motoki's voice (Aso). He is pretty much the voice that orchestrates those pansy-ass, wishy-washy male characters such as Raki from Claymore, or Nozomou from Futakoi.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 15:42   Link #210
changeup

Can't agree more with you on the issue of Takagi Motoki, monir. I also dislike his voicing of Jona Macka in "Toward the Terra". If these characters are voiced by a female CV, I might still bear it, but a male CV with that voice? Utterly sick.
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 07:44   Link #211
Ichigo91
Dharma Institute

Old 2007-10-11, 03:18   Link #212
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Now that it has been subbed and i can have a better grasp on what was going on ... have to wonder whats the matter with Chihiro. Overall the way she acted (not going to school / "I shouldn't be moved by things like these) smells dangerously like a terminal disease of some sorts. Wouldn't be surprised to find out thats the case.

Then again she said something like "he would even be friends with someone like me?" ... considering Aso shouldn't know about the illness (assuming there is one to begin with), this could be shyness or very low self-esteem due to the eyepatch. (Missing eye?) Don't know if that would explain her not going to school though ... unless she would be so shy of the patch to even avoid school (or people in general) because of it. Not sure what to make of her, apparently existing, amnesia either. Oh well - time will tell
Old 2007-10-11, 05:25   Link #213
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Wow so much crammed into epi1. I'm not too sure about the other characters, but I really really want to find out more about Chihiro. Even though it is far too early to say this, but I'm feeling that they could drop everyone else and just focus on Chihiro and I would be happy with it.
Old 2007-10-11, 08:28   Link #214
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Wow... I thought Chihiro's issue was pretty obvious, heh. The diary, at least, is a huge hint.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 08:36   Link #215
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Wow... I thought Chihiro's issue was pretty obvious, heh. The diary, at least, is a huge hint.
hee hee if that was aimed at me, then I kinda guessed her problem, but its her story line that has me really excited and how it is going to pan out.

Spoiler for some thoughts on Chihiro's story line:
Old 2007-10-11, 09:38   Link #216
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well that was most defiantly a Shaft episode in every sense of the word, which can be a good and bad thing.

I always tend to start out loving what they do visually, but somewhere around the mid point the constant assault of style over substance generally wears me out...

Hope this one can keep a decent story while still being visually interesting.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 11:21   Link #217
Racketman

Is that Perfect Cherry Blossom one of the girls is playing?
Racketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 11:29   Link #218
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racketman View Post
Is that Perfect Cherry Blossom one of the girls is playing?
With Akira going against Konota!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 13:04   Link #219
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Well that was most defiantly a Shaft episode in every sense of the word, which can be a good and bad thing. I always tend to start out loving what they do visually, but somewhere around the mid point the constant assault of style over substance generally wears me out....
Good points. I find myself dropping Shinbou shows about halfway through, too. But I don't think of it as being worn out by any assault. I love the look, but I get all I need from a few eps and there is not enough plot/character/relationship to keep me watching to the end. I think they need to up those other aspects rather than tone down the art. Maybe they can do that here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 13:17   Link #220
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I.....have completely no idea what was going on. All I know is that it feels like I've been hit with a larger dose of "defamiliarization" than I can handle. >_<

I'm too tired, I guess. Looks like I'll have to sleep on it, and look at it again tomorrow morning. I might be better able to apply Theatre Studies concepts to it then, since it's apparently what SHAFT was going for with their version of a VN adaptation. :S
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft