AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 9 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 46.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.17%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-22, 10:07   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

sola - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for sola, Episode 3.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma does it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2007-04-24, 07:29   Link #2
Simon
気持ち悪い

(Moved from Generic Discussion.) While it's interesting seeing Matsuri's character develop in ep3, Mana was the highlight for me:

Spoiler for ep3 (Doremi subs):

Her facial expressions and intonation during this scene are simply wonderful
Old 2007-04-24, 08:25   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

This ep gets a 9 from me. While not exactly much happened, it is very much my kind of episode. Lots of character interactions, and i found both Matsuri and Mana very likable.
Old 2007-04-24, 08:49   Link #4
Cyz
"Show it to me"

It has many Matsuri moments that's for sure. Besides, it's a nice episode especially what happened on the first 2.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-04-24, 09:28   Link #5
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Watched Sola 03 with Doremi's fansub. Their timing is off for the karaoke for the OP, at least for the h264 version which I went for. I will inform them accordingly, if able.

Anyway, nice little 'my pace' slice-of-life episode where little happens, apart from the character development characteristic of any plot written by a KEY writer. Therefore, my thoughts on Episode 03 will be on the lighter side as well;

1) At the start, Yorito mentioned that the electric stove, water heater and air conditioner all broke by themselves. Although the obvious cause is apparently Matsuri being a graduate of the 'kick it and it'll work' school of mechanical repair, I'm starting to think there's more to it than that. In fact, I think it's the foreshadowing as to why Matsuri claimed Yorito will learn to hate her; the fact that machines break down easily around her seems to be a manifestation of her 'quick-rust' powers, at least to my reckoning.

2) I must be spoiled by KyoAni; Nomad's 'normal' animation quality seems to pale by comparison.

3) Aono sheds her (Yuki/Mai/Rei) demeanour rather quickly; she's still mostly silent, but at least she isn't as good as hiding her feelings than the aforementioned girls.

4) Again, I wonder how come Glasses Man has enough funds to feed Rozen Loli at a fairly high-class restaurant, yet doesn't have the moolah to provide the latter with something better than a cardboard box.

5) MEIDO!!! They've been strangely prevalent today; I saw a couple of them handing out flyers outside Orchard Road MRT this afternoon. Talk about a little bit of Japan coming to Singapore, and now I see Mana in her meido uniform.

Damned that I didn't have a camera today....

6) Oh, speaking of Mana, apparently she's stacked, and her meido uniform shows that to good effect.

7) Judging from their reactions when Mana suggested they were father and daughter, and judging from the kind of things Rozen Loli said, chances are Rozen Loli is somewhat like Matsuri as well. Which means not only do they not age, but apparently they're both stuck looking the same way forever. No wonder Rozen Loli needed Glasses Man around; she'll probably never grow up, if my theory is correct. What a bummer.

8) Requesting animated avatar from 08:37-08:41 of the Doremi sub of Sola Ep3; Matsuri doing her little 'detergent advertisement' thing with eyes alternately closed and open. Too cute.

9) Speaking of which, I just had a thought; where does Matsuri get the funds to buy all that cup ramen?

10) Requesting animated siggy from 11:50-11:55 of the Doremi fansub; SD Matsuri, Koyori and Aono castigating Yorito in his imagination, ending with Aono pulling out her knife. Find a way to add in the words they said, and stick my nick somewhere in there as well. I'm a fan of giving bishoujos sharp, pointy things too.

11) Matsuri really is simple-minded.
Speaking of which, I'm losing the Kaede-vibes from Mana, but now I'm getting from Mana and Matsuri the same vibes that I got with Nayuki and Ayu in Kanon 2k6.

Alright, then. Awaiting Ep04.
Brought over my thoughts about Ep03 here.

Well, won't say much more than this, so I'll throw this an 8 for the time being. Nothing much happens, so this is as high as it can go, but that's not a bad thing in itself.
Old 2007-04-24, 10:12   Link #6
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

Nice episode....More like mana is gonna get all hype up and jealous later on...maybe.
Old 2007-04-24, 13:45   Link #7
Lucipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by babuji View Post
Nice episode....More like mana is gonna get all hype up and jealous later on...maybe.
Yes it will be a ashamed if she dosnt, but what about his sister she is already jealouse without knowing why she is from this eps and the last i got the feeling she knows something is going on.
Old 2007-04-24, 13:46   Link #8
Incoan
Jinuar Mumbir

Send a message via ICQ to Incoan Send a message via MSN to Incoan
The best sola episode so far for me. Loved the interaction between girls.
Old 2007-04-24, 14:11   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucipher View Post
Yes it will be a ashamed if she dosnt, but what about his sister she is already jealouse without knowing why she is from this eps and the last i got the feeling she knows something is going on.
nope aono is just attached to his brother thats all (tho it doesnt seem like it i know that she wants her oniichan next to her :3)

and wow sola gets its own subforum O.o *cheers*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-24, 14:47   Link #10
Lucipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
nope aono is just attached to his brother thats all (tho it doesnt seem like it i know that she wants her oniichan next to her :3)

Lol little sisters get more jealouse then anyone else in the world if you had a little sister you would understand. Plus for some odd reason they always seem 2 know when you got a new girl in your life its scary.

Ontop of that YAY for Solas own subforum its Win all the way its just 2 hot 2 handel 2 cute to care ^^
Old 2007-04-24, 18:49   Link #11
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

Not "oniichan", but "Ototo" as in little/younger/baby brother.

Btw, where have all the Sola-fans gone? Start posting in this section of the forum, show more interest, or we will threaten to remove this forum and replace it with a thread. Just kidding.
Old 2007-04-24, 18:55   Link #12
Asrialys

School? At least, that's where I am.

Or they're all rewatching Matsuri's awesomeness in episode 3. I don't know. I found it fun to watch Matsuri in episode 3, especially with her interaction with Mana.
Old 2007-04-24, 20:06   Link #13
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:

Also, I had Higurashi flashback:

Old 2007-04-24, 21:05   Link #14
New/Old
Old to the New

My expression at the connection can only be "". ...Interesting... Such very interesting things one can find.
Old 2007-04-24, 22:00   Link #15
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub,

Random Thoughts on Ep03:
---- ----
  • As a person who reads up a lot on "Literary Devices" and "Common Clichés", it entertains me to no end to see "sola" subvert them on a frequent basis.

Examples include a pantsu-joke that has no pantsu-flash, the two times that they tried to fake us into believing that Matsuri left the house (during the first incident, they even started a dramatic BGM which setted us up for a "pathos-filled" search).

The only way they could get more subversive is to break the fourth-wall.
  • If there ever comes a time when the fate of the world depended on Yorito keeping a secret, the world would be doomed. I mean really, Yorito keeps a secret about as well as a snowball trying to stay cool in Hell.
  • Judging from the conversation in the cafe, Mayuko is older than she appears. How much older though... is still up for speculation.
  • I find it amusing that Takeshi and Matsuri are so laid back about each other. I can't think of another "hunter & prey" pairing where the tension between the two of them is lower. The cynical would call Takeshi "lazy", and Matsuri "reckless".

The only way they could be more relaxed is to have "half-time" breaks during their fights and have tea together.
  • Takeshi muffling Mayuko with a napkin was just wrong. I bet the producers had a ball drawing out that scene.
  • Some choice quotes from the cafe:
    - "There goes my reputation."
    - "They look like quite the complicated family."

• It must suck to be a guy in a town where all the girls are pretty sharp. Their intuition only seems to fail when they try to analyse another girl.
  • Does Mana harbour feelings for Yorito or not? They are still pretty ambiguous on this issue as of this episode. Personally, I hope she does not, so that they can focus their attention on Matsuri's core story.
  • Aono spoke more in the "preview" than in the past three episodes.
Looking forward to the next episode.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-24, 22:24   Link #16
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I didn't exactly like how Yorito's flabberghastiness (( I know there's no such word...I think )) was potrayed in a putting-off manner, but aside from that, it's a pretty decent episode. Nothing happened, but the sense of interaction left-and-right is pretty nice too.

Though I've noticed that for a show titled "sky", there hasn't exactly been any l33t sky animation pr0n. And no, the ED don't count one bit.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-24, 22:48   Link #17
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Aono spoke more in the "preview" than in the past three episodes.
Let's see... I'm going to try this from memory:
"It's a secret."
"You're late."
"Tasteless."
"What is it?" (I might be wrong about this one.)
"Not really."
"Don't open them."
"Eight." (Though it might've been 7...)
"I don't need it."
"Here."
"I'm hungry."
"That's not it."
"I'll kill him."

Hrm... I think I'm missing a couple. Doesn't she ask "Where's Yorito?" at one point? But I'm not sure if it was in episode 1 or 2.

(Note to all actors: This is what happens when you insist on being paid by the word.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Though I've noticed that for a show titled "sky", there hasn't exactly been any l33t sky animation pr0n. And no, the ED don't count one bit.
You know that game where you look at the clouds and try to imagine what the shapes look like?
.... Remind me never to do that when you're around.
Old 2007-04-24, 23:07   Link #18
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
You know that game where you look at the clouds and try to imagine what the shapes look like?
.... Remind me never to do that when you're around.
Clouds ALWAYS look like animals to me.

And I hope I'm not giving a wrong impression.

pr0n in this case = needless unneccesarily beautiful cloud moving animation with beautiful colours, effects, etc. I call it pr0n here because it adds nothing to the meat of the story other than "nice visuals".

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-04-25, 00:20   Link #19
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Peaceful Day

I think a better title for this episode would be a Worked-Up Day or at least it was for Yorito being too tense to keep the facade so that Mana would not discover Matsuri sheltered in the house.

Was it a female intuition that led Mana to suspect that Yorito was hiding someone in the house? - It is not that surprising if I think about it, because Mana is Yorito's osananjimi, and therefore, knows him from a long time to easily tell apart his mood and mannerisms.

Spoiler:

Honestly, I do not think at all that Mana harbors a feeling for Yorito. Their relation goes among the best of friends. The relative that watches over him so he won't make mistakes.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Guido; 2007-04-25 at 01:41.
Old 2007-04-25, 01:38   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Does Mana harbour feelings for Yorito or not? They are still pretty ambiguous on this issue as of this episode. Personally, I hope she does not, so that they can focus their attention on Matsuri's core story.
I think they are just good friends. She doesn't seem to be that jealous that Yorito is living with a cute girl.