AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2009-07-22, 12:39   Link #121
velvet nightmare

for the first question, was all the knowledge given to him on a whim? b/c al was essentially 'killed'

for the second, is there any distinction between fake and real stones like they had in the first series? i guess the arbitrary cutoff point would just be a city's worth of souls to be a 'real' philosopher's stone?
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 13:06   Link #122
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
for the first question, was all the knowledge given to him on a whim? b/c al was essentially 'killed'
For all we know, yes. Maybe if/when Ed and Al come face to face with Truth once again before the end of the series we'll know why he decided to be so "generous" with Al. But it could have simply been done on a whim, yes. Who knows.

Quote:
for the second, is there any distinction between fake and real stones like they had in the first series? i guess the arbitrary cutoff point would just be a city's worth of souls to be a 'real' philosopher's stone?
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 15:04   Link #123
ChronoReverse

IIRC, there was a throwaway comment somewhere mentioning that Al was thinking of their mother even more strongly than Ed (that is, it was the only thing on Al's mind) and thus his entire body was taken. If only I could confirm this wasn't a delusion of my mind.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 15:12   Link #124
Vicious108

I recently reread the manga and don't remember such comment. All I remember concerning that would be that Al's soul initially almost got fixed on their "mother's" body, but there was a rejection.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:25   Link #125
GaimeGuy

I'm pretty sure it's just that Ed was smarter than Al so he didn't have to give up as much of a fee in order to gain true knowledge.

Remember tha Izumi said "The fact that you were able to see The Truth and come out of it alive means that you were already a genius"

or, it could mean that Equivalent Exchange is a load of BS, annd you have to be a genius to subconsciously be able to escape from The Truth's grasp :P (I'm going to bet on this one)
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 22:07   Link #126
ChronoReverse

Well, we haven't seen if Al has more information than Ed but both Curtis and Ed believed that he should've gotten more. At the very least Al has at least the same as Ed.

In any case, discussion with Ed indicate that Al went "deeper" into the truth.

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2009-07-22 at 22:47.
Old 2009-07-23, 01:31   Link #127
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Well, we haven't seen if Al has more information than Ed but both Curtis and Ed believed that he should've gotten more. At the very least Al has at least the same as Ed.

In any case, discussion with Ed indicate that Al went "deeper" into the truth.
Maybe you don't only have to see the Truth but you have to understand it also to acquire its knowledge. Ed maybe understood more than Al about what he saw. If we go by the law of Equivalent exchange then Al have seen more than Ed as he has lost his whole body whereas Ed only lost his leg. But as he has not yet demonstrated more alchemical skill than Ed I suppose that he has not fully understood what he saw.

Last edited by Krazzy Angel; 2009-07-23 at 08:14.
Krazzy Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 09:09   Link #128
klare

i have been following FMA manga till now, but i have never seen its anime, now i have a question about the anime:

is FMA 2 and FMA Brotherhood the same or different series?
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 11:44   Link #129
Vicious108

There is no "FMA 2"... There's Fullmetal Alchemist, the first anime series that goes with its own original story differing from the manga, and a different series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, that follows the manga storyline.
Old 2009-07-25, 14:02   Link #130
ChronoReverse

Or rather, what was called FMA2 colloquially before it was released was revealed to be FMA:Brotherhood.
Old 2009-07-27, 22:24   Link #131
klare

thx guys, so i just have to start Brotherhood
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 23:53   Link #132
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

In Japanese:
1st series - 鋼の錬金術師
2nd series - 鋼の錬金術師 FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

In English:
1st series - Fullmetal Alchemist
2nd series - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I don't think the current series has ever officially been called FMA2, but anyone familiar with both series should know what you're referring to.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:40   Link #133
Vicious108

Wait so there is no "Brotherhood" in the Japanese title of the current series...? That's strange... then where did "Brotherhood" come from?
Old 2009-07-30, 07:03   Link #134
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the international title for the new series released so that the older and current series can be distinguished.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:59   Link #135
Vicious108

I see. So anime series get an international title eh? News to me.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:16   Link #136
Anime Daisuki

I plan on starting up on FMA but heard the current series is just a remake. May someone enlighten me? Should I watch one and not the other?
Old 2009-08-02, 11:21   Link #137
Vicious108

It's not "just" a remake, it takes a completely direction from the first series from episode 14 onwards.

You could watch both, nothing wrong with doing so, but if you're only willing to watch one, then go with the current series, Brotherhood.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:13   Link #138
blackpanther27

since brotherhood is ongoing at the moment, i would watch the other one first, as its still awesome and different after the first few episodes. both are worth watching!
blackpanther27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 17:51   Link #139
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanther27 View Post
since brotherhood is ongoing at the moment, i would watch the other one first, as its still awesome and different after the first few episodes. both are worth watching!
Personally i don't see the point in watching the first series now. Brotherhood is adapting the actual story, where as the first series is around 75% anime original material.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:05   Link #140
Vicious108

I feel the same. Though I did enjoy watching the first series, Brotherhood has now made it completely obsolete.