Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-22, 08:21   Link #21
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Art was bland like TnK but the plot is OK. I would watch Ep2 and see if it improves.
I don't think the art is bland at all, it just has an unusual style.
Old 2004-01-22, 08:45   Link #22
Onsen

Smile

Great episode. Really looking forward to more.
And I LIKE the art style. It's different and interesting.

..and I think the dog is just sort of a 'narrator' character. Feels out of place, but..not overly so.
Old 2004-01-22, 09:33   Link #23
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Glad to see people enjoy it :>
I liked it more and more for every minute i worked on it ^_^
And the art is fine imho it is not the standard Gonzo style people are used to where the girls looks like large chibies :P

Take Care
Sakaki-
Old 2004-01-22, 12:30   Link #24
Go-lytely

Yeah, the dog is definitely a narrarator since the people dont acknowledge what hes thinking. I think this show will be pretty funny. The yakuza henchmen were hilarious and I can foresee some very funny situations when they inevitably try to help out Yankumi.
Old 2004-01-22, 12:47   Link #25
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
Yeah, the dog is definitely a narrarator since the people dont acknowledge what hes thinking. I think this show will be pretty funny. The yakuza henchmen were hilarious and I can foresee some very funny situations when they inevitably try to help out Yankumi.
It looks good so far, I hope the dog gets run over by a truck sometime between episode 1 and 2 though.
Old 2004-01-22, 14:22   Link #26
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Bah, you people turned off by the art... I'll never understand you. Just cause every guy isn't a superbish and every girl isn't big-boobied, chibi-faced, and pink haired and you think the art is bad. BLAH. Before I knew even the slightest plot detail of this show I was intrigued by the 'ugly' art. Everyone complains about how cliche anime has become and then so man people cry when a show with any original designs comes out. I think you complainers should go watch Cosprayers instead. Enjoy the cookie cutter characters and fanservice you so obviously desire.
Old 2004-01-22, 17:17   Link #27
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

The art was great imo ... ya'll need to relax and stop cuttin up shows cuz of the art (I also encountered peeps on other boards dismissin One Piece cuz of the art).... this show is friggin funny....!
Old 2004-01-22, 17:26   Link #28
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Bah, you people turned off by the art... I'll never understand you. Just cause every guy isn't a superbish and every girl isn't big-boobied, chibi-faced, and pink haired and you think the art is bad. BLAH. Before I knew even the slightest plot detail of this show I was intrigued by the 'ugly' art. Everyone complains about how cliche anime has become and then so man people cry when a show with any original designs comes out. I think you complainers should go watch Cosprayers instead. Enjoy the cookie cutter characters and fanservice you so obviously desire.
Well said. If you haven't watched Airmaster you should, for the same reason.

Incidently I think the dog is awesome simply because nobody understands what he says. He gets to commentate upon everything without being able to affect other character's perceptions.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-22, 17:30   Link #29
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

So far I dont like the dog at all. Seems like a pretty stupid idea to me, but its probably to early to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Some people just are into the anime for art more than others. The quality of art does matter for a lot of people and im sure a lot of people got into anime cuz of the style. Trying to put down ppl cuz they dont like the art is ridiculous.
Old 2004-01-22, 17:40   Link #30
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

The quality of the art in Gokusen is first rate. It is simply a different style. Art quality is very important to me and that is one of the things I like about this show. The problem is that many people don't like the style to be different from what they expect regardless of its quality. You're right though that it is wrong to put people down because they don't like it. Everyone's taste differs.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-22, 17:41   Link #31
stpehen
kisses for all

The art is josei (women's) style, which is known for being extremely simple and unadorned, unlike the shonen style, which uses flashy art to distract denser readers' attention away from the poorly-written story (zing!). This means that the focus of the manga remains strictly on the plot. Josei typically requires a mature reader, since there is no art to speak of that will occupy the reader's aesthetic sense, but as far as human relationship stories go, there really is no style that does it better.

This is the basis for the art style in the Gokusen anime, and most likely the major reason why most people think the art "sucks."
Old 2004-01-22, 17:52   Link #32
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Ya'll should stop cuttin up the dog too! He's funny, especially that last part where he puts his paw on that red haired guy and he was like "why can't u accept this as my victory" or somethin like that ....

The dog kinda reminds me of Big Pussy from the Sopranos... b4 u say "wtf!" ..... I said "kinda" .......
Old 2004-01-22, 18:03   Link #33
davFunereal
Village watchman.

The art is a mixed bag. Those lips are artistic blemishes--no other way to look at it.

I just saw the first episode. It's a mixed bag, and above average really. It's light and stupid, funny enough. The first episode is a gimmick and full of theme problems. I'm not sure what they want this series to be. I've never seen GTO but I've heard of it. Someone tell me if it's licensed.

Gokusen is worth looking into. I'll keep watching.
Old 2004-01-22, 18:47   Link #34
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
This is the basis for the art style in the Gokusen anime, and most likely the major reason why most people think the art "sucks."
I just wanted to clear something up.
I am not one of those people that I said the art/design "SUCKS", I said its "UNAPPEALING".
Old 2004-01-22, 19:18   Link #35
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

newsflash, japanese people don't look like they do in anime. But I can see why in anime everyone is pretty because whiners complain the drawing sucks whenever someone tries to draw them resembling real characters
Old 2004-01-22, 19:52   Link #36
Walküre

Ahh coool, what a nice Show ^^

I really enjoyed watching the fist Episode,
there were so many great laughs in it (especially the Yakuza)

Im always open for different drawing Styles, and i like this one.
It's not the usual Cosprayer/Yumeria/Green Green Style.

...and YES, i also liked the cool Dog ^^

Here goes another Show to keep, oh my where should this end
Old 2004-01-22, 21:21   Link #37
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

I wasn't on cutting on people for not liking the different art. I don't condemn people for their tastes and opinions. I was just baffled that there are so many haters out there everytime a show comes along and looks different (recent examples: Gilgamesh, Hundred Stories, Narutaru) when yet even more complain about all the cliches on a daily basis. You're free to dismiss a show because you think the art is ugly or unappealing, hell I did just that for Galaxy Railways. I just wasn't my cup o tea.

I'm kind of up in the air about the dog right now. I was thinking about it, and I'm not sure if other people in the show can hear him talk. Anyone have a guess? I think he might be a character like Stewy from Family guy where he talks and thinks to himself and everyone else just reacts to him in general. I think he functions well enough as the narrator though, as long as they don't try to overuse him as cheap comedy relief. Naw'mean?
Old 2004-01-23, 00:35   Link #38
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

the Stewie comparison I think is the best explanation yet! I was thinking about it and I now think that is the best way to describe the dog's character... although... Stewie was a bit more funnier...

maybe he's a comic relief/narrator... but I could care less... as I already mentioned a couple times in this thread.... the dog is funny! he's wearing a track suit (sorta)... !
Old 2004-01-23, 05:52   Link #39
TheLesserUnknown

Just DLed this anime. Didnt get to watch it yet, but from what i have read in this forum its suppose to be pretty good. Cant wait till i can actually find time to watch it.
Old 2004-01-23, 09:39   Link #40
Green²
It's bacon!

Cool

Cromartie High, ten years later?
Closed Thread