AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-10, 06:21   Link #161
sa547
*Author

I picked up this show out of curiosity, in the aftermath of reading much of the AKB49 manga. After watching, I thought of what to do next, and decided to keep the first episode and wait for the next one, because I was fascinated with what's behind the scenes and to see how the girls would progress throughout as entertainers, but I also hope the producers would add a bit of reality to the plot.

Go forth, IM@S!
Old 2011-07-10, 06:49   Link #162
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Very creative first episode, just what I was hoping for. The introduction of the male producer has me worried, but let's hope this doesn't turn into a thinly veiled harem show.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:04   Link #163
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
On a side-note, from something I have read over Kurogane's blog.... What is Kentaro Miura's opinion over this animated adaptation? I mean, Idolm@ster IS the franchise that "corrupted" him.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 10:08   Link #164
Westlo
Lets be reality

I just found it hilarious that the original character designer for IM@S is the director of the new Berserk movies.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 11:21   Link #165
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
On a side-note, from something I have read over Kurogane's blog.... What is Kentaro Miura's opinion over this animated adaptation? I mean, Idolm@ster IS the franchise that "corrupted" him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I just found it hilarious that the original character designer for IM@S is the director of the new Berserk movies.
What a coincidence!
Old 2011-07-10, 15:08   Link #166
Kirbichu

That was a great start, but I just don't know what they'll do for 24 episodes.
Kirbichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 16:00   Link #167
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbichu View Post
That was a great start, but I just don't know what they'll do for 24 episodes.
Focus on all the girls.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 19:21   Link #168
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Focus on all the girls.
And possibly rivals as well.
Old 2011-07-11, 04:37   Link #169
Unknown Soldier
:D

There sure are a lot of Xenoglossia haters here. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, pretty much everywhere you go, you'll find the hardcore IM@S fans and most of them hated Xenoglossia.

Xenoglossia stood on it's own as a pretty decent-to-good mecha show, especially at the end where it turned out much better than it really should have. We shouldn't ever forget that Namco-Bandai pretty much told Sunrise to make a show with Idolm@ster, it's not as if Sunrise had a choice. The parent company was anxious to cash in on IM@S, Sunrise didn't even get a say one way or the other about whether they even wanted to do the show or not. It would be the equivalent of giving K-ON to Sunrise instead of Kyoto Animation. Sunrise did what they did best, which is make a mecha show, and the rest is history. I would have loved to have been at the meeting the day that the Sunrise guys went over to the Namco side of the company to show the executives the first episode of Xenoglossia. The expressions on the executives' faces were probably priceless. I still consider Xenoglossia one of the most creative and out-there uses of a completely unrelated license that I've seen, and amazingly enough, Sunrise didn't trainwreck it to death the way they did with Code Geass (which was airing around that time), they played it completely straight and it still worked.

FWIW, I think Xenoglossia is better than Code Geass. Less trainwrecking, less overstuffing of characters on top of overstuffed casts, less ridiculous constant cliffhangers and plot twists, less fabulous. Well, okay, I liked the fabulous in Code Geass.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 06:03   Link #170
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Xenoglossia made the same mistake that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within made. They took the name of a well-known franchise, and then turned it into something that only vaguely resembled said franchise.

Had they just named it Xenoglossia, the show would have been judged on its own merits, but by using an established franchise it will inevitably be compared to said franchise by its fans. They really have nobody to blame but themselves for coming up with that idea.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 08:09   Link #171
Westlo
Lets be reality

Honestly I knew nothing about the IM@S franchise when I watched Xenoglossia and found it didn't compare well to Sunrises other mecha shows of the time, namely Geass and Zegapain. The general reception to the show itself was rather "Meh" from what I remember, was the small Eng IM@S faction of the time even much of a factor in the reception of the show? It's not like the Umineko VN readers where you couldn't get away from their whining... (And I'm one of them...)

Still to be fair to Xenoglossia it's much better than Sore Kake....
Old 2011-07-11, 09:55   Link #172
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
We shouldn't ever forget that Namco-Bandai pretty much told Sunrise to make a show with Idolm@ster, it's not as if Sunrise had a choice. The parent company was anxious to cash in on IM@S, Sunrise didn't even get a say one way or the other about whether they even wanted to do the show or not. It would be the equivalent of giving K-ON to Sunrise instead of Kyoto Animation. Sunrise did what they did best, which is make a mecha show, and the rest is history. I would have loved to have been at the meeting the day that the Sunrise guys went over to the Namco side of the company to show the executives the first episode of Xenoglossia. The expressions on the executives' faces were probably priceless.
That's not true. The true story was that Sunrise already had a working story board before some idiot told them to work im@s into it. Sunrise was on a roll with the Mai-hime franchise and they were going to do something similar - fighting females but with a mecha twist. As it was Xenoglossia originally probably would have stood on its own, but working im@s into it ruined it - both for the im@s name and the Xenoglossia story board.

Quote:
FWIW, I think Xenoglossia is better than Code Geass. Less trainwrecking, less overstuffing of characters on top of overstuffed casts, less ridiculous constant cliffhangers and plot twists, less fabulous. Well, okay, I liked the fabulous in Code Geass.
Er, you have taste problems. Xenoglossia was uninspiring and was boring to watch (I remember falling asleep during the first episode), Code Geass was over the top in many ways but it pushed the envelopes in ways that mattered. Leouche is easily the most memorable anti-hero of the past decade besides Light of Death Note, and we simply don't see many anti-heros in anime, especially ones with such depth. Xenoglossia OTOH leaves behind nothing when it finished, it didn't strive to do anything and ends up achieving nothing.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 10:23   Link #173
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Found this on a forum.

Spoiler for size:
Old 2011-07-11, 10:31   Link #174
Westlo
Lets be reality

Someone needs to shop Kamina/Simon glasses onto Producer-san.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:58   Link #175
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Xenoglossia made the same mistake that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within made. They took the name of a well-known franchise, and then turned it into something that only vaguely resembled said franchise.

Had they just named it Xenoglossia, the show would have been judged on its own merits, but by using an established franchise it will inevitably be compared to said franchise by its fans. They really have nobody to blame but themselves for coming up with that idea.
Well they could blame the fans, though at this point I think they've already started to call some of the more hardcore angry fanboys out on certain things like say...everything that happened with Gundam AGE's unveiling. Anyway, it's not like there's a lack of choice as to whether to judge a show on it's own merits or not. I think it's again that bandwagon mentality that's been mentioned as opposed to any sort of any necessary feeling to bash because it defies expectations.

I think Midonin made a good point too when he said that the internets default reaction to expectations being defied is anger, much like anger is seemingly the internets default reaction to a lot of things. Doesn't need to be that way, it just is for some reason.

Me, I got pretty much exactly what I expected with this first episode (minus the overwhelming character crunch) and it was pretty.....boring...I guess I would say. Though it's really not surprising that the iDOLM@STER hardcore would prefer this since it's more true to the game franchise in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Found this on a forum.

Spoiler for size:
Not that guy again.

It seems like just yesterday I was praising the guy for trying to exercise his creative muscle and now I look at him as pretty much the whiniest bastard in the entire industry at the moment. Granted there are some grumpy whiny bastards in the industry, but most of them have done some sort of prestige work that has actually been a major critical and/or financial success. So far his major achievement his been starting the dance theme craze. I don't know...maybe if he's looking for some work they could give him the chance to choreagraph some dance sequences for this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Honestly I knew nothing about the IM@S franchise when I watched Xenoglossia and found it didn't compare well to Sunrises other mecha shows of the time, namely Geass and Zegapain. The general reception to the show itself was rather "Meh" from what I remember, was the small Eng IM@S faction of the time even much of a factor in the reception of the show? It's not like the Umineko VN readers where you couldn't get away from their whining... (And I'm one of them...)

Still to be fair to Xenoglossia it's much better than Sore Kake....
Well from what I saw many people including myself were fairly bored with the first half in waiting for something to happen. Like them I actually dropped it for a period of time as a result and had to force myself to get through the first half later on. Things pick up in the second half with some decent character drama, solid action, and a pretty bitter ending though, making it somewhere between a 6 or 7 on my scale. The problem is you have a first half of the show that is I would have to agree pretty mediocre and mostly centers around giving the main cast goofy things to do with the occasional sortie to blow up some moon rocks. It kind of reminded me about the things I didn't like in Mai Hime's first half.....

Honestly though I don't see this show as much better than Xenoglossia on the not being boring factor in it's first episode, and it certainly had a lot less focus and coherent character intros than that shows opener in trying to include a bit of every single girl that's ever been in the iDOLM@STER franchise.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-07-11 at 13:11.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 19:40   Link #176
jcdietz03

Are we producer-san? Are we cameraman-san?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was some camera-magic that would allow everyone to hear what the cameraman is saying, but it wasn't recorded on tape?

EDIT: Guess I have to watch the whole first episode to answer that question, don't I? I think I liked it better when he was voiceless.

Last edited by jcdietz03; 2011-07-11 at 19:56.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 20:51   Link #177
Divini
Senpai!

Sorry if this was asked before, but is this going to be an all-girl main character kind of anime a la Koihime Musou/Nanoha or...?

Not that I'd automatically be put off if it was, but I played some IM@S / read some manga and the manager/producer-idol relationship was the most interesting aspect to the story for me.

Also I picked up IM@S as a whole after the first anime came out. Is that worth watching? I was kind of put off by the synopsis... (errr idols in mecha? really?)
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:35   Link #178
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Er, you have taste problems. Xenoglossia was uninspiring and was boring to watch (I remember falling asleep during the first episode), Code Geass was over the top in many ways but it pushed the envelopes in ways that mattered. Leouche is easily the most memorable anti-hero of the past decade besides Light of Death Note, and we simply don't see many anti-heros in anime, especially ones with such depth. Xenoglossia OTOH leaves behind nothing when it finished, it didn't strive to do anything and ends up achieving nothing.
At least Xenoglossia has knife wielding androids. Which somehow survive the broadcast when 'real' Higurashi happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist
Found this on a forum.
Is that Ichika with glasses? Keitaro? Yuuto from Nogizaka Haruka?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 21:52   Link #179
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Sorry if this was asked before, but is this going to be an all-girl main character kind of anime a la Koihime Musou/Nanoha or...?

Not that I'd automatically be put off if it was, but I played some IM@S / read some manga and the manager/producer-idol relationship was the most interesting aspect to the story for me.

Also I picked up IM@S as a whole after the first anime came out. Is that worth watching? I was kind of put off by the synopsis... (errr idols in mecha? really?)
You probably stopped the episode at the ED didn't you? The producer shows up after them.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 23:45   Link #180
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Found this on a forum.

Spoiler for size:
Oh don't make fun of Yamakan.
He's such a great guy (comedian).

The guy more reminds me of that protagonist from Nogizaka Haruka.
Of course, not in a good meaning.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, idolmaster, musical, puchim@s