AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-10, 18:35   Link #381
Isegrim

Anybode in here who has been to the new Bandai Museum in Tochigi-ken? Google only shows me pictures from the old museum in Matsudo, Chiba. The homepage has a picture of a real-sized Gundam up, but nothing more.
I'm staying in Shimotsuke, which is about 10 km away from the museum. Would be a pity not to use this opportunity.
Old 2008-08-31, 16:49   Link #382
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Question Travelling In Japan

I would like to ask questions for people who allready live in japan, and for the ones that has been there, and hopefully made it back.
Now you can all think like; why don't you google that you newbie?
But turism guides won't give me all the answers I'm looking for will they

First, I'd like to say the main reason why I've been interested in japanese culture for over the past year and a half is clear enough; Anime.

And I've been saving some (yet the amount is really 'some' at the moment. To be honest close to half of one way flight.. Well, its something..) for a dream of one day going there and spending a month. And when I'm there, I want to do everything! Well, not really everything, but most.

And this is where I need your help. I want to see all the aspects of Japan as safely as I can, I want to know the turistic sides of it, as well as its regular sights. When people visit Japan they usually go temples, and if anime freaks; cosplay cafes. But If I'm going there, I don't want to come back and regret saying 'Damn, I know I should've been there'.

In other words, I want to see all the cliche places of Japan (when I say that I mean the 'always visited') as well as little known wonders of it. Also the do's and dont's

Thanks In Advance

And I apologise If there's a similar thread, I've searched the forum for hours just haven't seen one

Edit : Thanks for the moderator that has moved my message to here ^^
Skullchukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 18:56   Link #383
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

At the least.. you now have 18 pages of suggestions and information to look through thats mostly good info.
Old 2008-08-31, 19:38   Link #384
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Yeah, I couldn't find this topic on search pages, so It was a new topic -untill a mod has moved my message. So my previous message has probably no use at all
Skullchukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 19:44   Link #385
DENON
suiga yummy

Um.....Japan is a good place...but hard to communicate...

The first day that I went to Japan. I totally lost since I spoke no Japanese. People dont speak English at all. However, they are getting much better in communication right now. I guess 50% people in cities of Japan are able to speak simple English.

If you travel there, control your speaking speed when you are going to talk to any Japanese. Unless, you are fluent in speaking Japanese,.

I live in Japan more than half year and I feel Japan is a very interesting and very fun place.

Hotspring..Woo....

67' LCD TV WOoo..
DENON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 05:13   Link #386
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

I'm going to japan next 17 of September until 28 of September ^^

Gone and coming back from Spain just for 497,71 euros, I love September flight prices ^^
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 07:49   Link #387
heebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Suigintou> View Post
I'm going to japan next 17 of September until 28 of September ^^

Gone and coming back from Spain just for 497,71 euros, I love September flight prices ^^
Thats very good price D: Here in Finland one has to pay like 1500 euros for just one way ticket.
Old 2008-09-10, 01:31   Link #388
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebo View Post
Thats very good price D: Here in Finland one has to pay like 1500 euros for just one way ticket.
This can't be true xDDDD I'm going with Finnair and the trip is Barcelona-Helsinki-Nagoya, must be joking... are you saying your own Finland company mades it expensive for compatriots?
Old 2008-09-10, 08:58   Link #389
heebo

Well. I rechecked it. And Finnair's one way ticket costs 2351 euros. And Blue 1 has 1117 euros.
Old 2008-09-11, 04:28   Link #390
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Check going and coming back ticket
Old 2008-12-18, 21:36   Link #391
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Do I need a travel adapter in Japan?

I'm looking at taking a trip to Japan this summer (yes, lucky me. ) and I'm wanting to bring along a bunch of my electronic toys. But I'm concerned whether or not I'll need a travel adapter to use my devices (chargers, laptop, etc) over there. Anyone know if I can just take something I use here in the US and just plug it in over there without any conversion and use it as is? I did some searching already, but nothing conclusive came up saying yes or no. From what I saw it *looks* that way, but I'd rather be 100% certain, rather than get there, plug something in, and watch it go poof, or even possibly not be able to plug it in at all.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:45   Link #392
Tri-ring

The voltage here in Japan is 100V at 50Hertz in Kanto and 60 Hertz in Kansai.
You may need to check the tolerance range for each AC adapter since some are able to while others are not.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:48   Link #393
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Japan's voltage is 110, just like Taiwan.

If you have an appliance from a country of 240 (say, Australia) you'll still be okay, but just expect your rechargeable appliances to charge much slower.

Make sure, however, that you ask the store clerk what voltage their appliances can take before you happily plug your Japanese appliance back into a western power socket. Though most appliances made in Japan nowadays can take 240 voltage, its still safer to ask. Cos if you plug your 110 powered Playstation 2 into a 240 power socket WITHOUT a power converter.... boy oh boy, let's just say you'll be hopping mad over some fireworks.

Hope that helps.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:48   Link #394
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Yes, you'll need an adaptor to plug United States devices into Japan's power sockets.

You can buy a multi-adaptor from Targus at your local electronics store. I know, because I had to buy one during my recent trip in the US.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:57   Link #395
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
As far as I can tell, both America and Japan have the same two slim pin sockets and voltage anyways, I use the same adapter for both countries when using a UK device. It shouldn't be too much of an issue compared to the UK. >.>

(Mystie has learnt, never to charge Japanese items back home without a transformer, unless she wants to see more fireworks and smoke in her room again) >.>
Seems that Ronin has had the same experience as me though. xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 22:23   Link #396
Shadow Kira01

If you are buying electronics from Japan to use in the US. I think it would be a good idea to swap the AC adapter, in case you end up with a burnt fuse..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 03:41   Link #397
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
(Mystie has learnt, never to charge Japanese items back home without a transformer, unless she wants to see more fireworks and smoke in her room again) >.>
Seems that Ronin has had the same experience as me though. xD
Incidentally, Hong Kong is probably the best place to buy Japanese electronics for the 220~240V range, especially if you live in a country with UK-type sockets. There is a nearly 1-to-1 correlation between products designed for the Japanese market and the Hong Kong market (i.e. different product names and numbers, but otherwise identical in design and function).

I'm not sure about the variety of Japanese products in Korea or Mainland China (both 220V). Japanese manufacturers seem to have a larger market share in Hong Kong since Korea and China have strong local industries and are therefore less dependent on imports.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 04:23   Link #398
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Incidentally, Hong Kong is probably the best place to buy Japanese electronics for the 220~240V range, especially if you live in a country with UK-type sockets. There is a nearly 1-to-1 correlation between products designed for the Japanese market and the Hong Kong market (i.e. different product names and numbers, but otherwise identical in design and function).

I'm not sure about the variety of Japanese products in Korea or Mainland China (both 220V). Japanese manufacturers seem to have a larger market share in Hong Kong since Korea and China have strong local industries and are therefore less dependent on imports.
^^ You mean Hong Kong AND Singapore. But of course, HK is better in the sense that there's no GST at all.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 04:50   Link #399
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post

I plan on popping over there next year, so thanks for the tip

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 13:27   Link #400
Amray

I plan to journey to Japan one day. It has been an ambition of mine before I even started to watch anime and such. I just like the culture and the girls there. Ofcourse there are other reasons for me wanting to go there. There are some people that I would like to meet, and some locations that I would like to see.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel