AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-21, 18:10   Link #361
User65554
Disabled By Request

I've already posted this in a news thread, but I thought that it should probably go here as well;
Tokyo 'top city for good eating'
Quote:
The home of haute cuisine just got taken down a peg with an authoritative judgement that Paris is not the world's top city for good eating.
That distinction now goes to Tokyo, according to the bible for foodies everywhere, the Michelin guide.
In its first ever edition devoted to an Asian city, it awarded restaurants in Tokyo a total of 191 stars. [...]
To add to Paris's embarrassment, three of the top eight restaurants in Tokyo serve French food. Three more offer traditional Japanese fine dining, and the other two are sushi houses. [...]
Michelin's plans to assess Tokyo restaurants had caused controversy in Japan, where some commentators had doubted whether it would be up to the job.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 09:35   Link #362
legalcrimes
the underdog

Talking

I visited tokyo and some areas near it its was really fun and lots of cool and interesting culture i recomend the hot springs/sulfur springs cause you can't go there and not try them also go to some of the parks (especialy on a rainy day i went and all these little crabs were walking around) there are a bunch of temples for all sorts of different things you should for sure check them out. it is really an amazing trip i was only their for a week and i was never bored but message me if you have anything specific you would like to ask i will see if i know anything about it.
legalcrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 20:14   Link #363
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Ok so here is the thing I just read something about going to Japan that kinda has me worried,
I read that when foreigners land in Japan now they are fingerprinted and so on, so saying I have a criminal record in the U.S but nothing serious at all (not a serious crime , just stupidity in my ongoing youth).

So my question is will i be refused at the Japanese airport because I have plans to go later this year.

Please tell me yes else one of my dreams would be shattered.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 04:03   Link #364
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My answer? I have no idea because the situation is so fluid.

I don't think the US and Japan share databases to that level of detail. As a tourist, I'd think you'd be fine as long as it was a misdemeanor -- you might have more difficulty if you wanted a work visa or something or if it was a felony. It would also depend on whether it was a local jurisdiction, state, or federal conviction.

The fingerprinting system may have started as a response to the USA (much like most countries started fingerprinting in response to the USA's treatment of foreign visitors). Things started going downhill when US officials were really crappy without cause to a number of Japanese visitors (sadly it was the office at PDX airport in Portland, OR). The US then followed that screwup with the stupid fingerprinting system (no, it really won't catch any but the most dim terrorist) and here we are annoying the rest of the world with "security" that doesn't work. I hear that Japan still suggests to its outbound citizens that they not arrive in the US via Portland though even though the officers involved were replaced ...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-22 at 05:04.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 05:45   Link #365
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
havent read all of it, but i can tell you 1 thing, if you are a pedestrian you are in danger even on the sidewalk, bike will have second though running over you.
live in perpetual fear of bikes!!! (at least that was my experience in osaka / kyoto)

another thing that was quite disturbing, i had never been hitted on by men as much as in japan, i dont know if at that time the cloths i was wearing were a secret code for the japanese gay community but it was horrible. once while i was flirting and dancing with a girl an homo gently but forcefully pushed her away and tried to dance with me...

one last thing : Japan Rail Pass is your best friend.

if you go to Kyoto, Toji Han (a little south west of the main Kyoto train station) is the best hotel/guesthouse to go to best time i had in japan it puts to shame the maison Ikoku in therme of partying.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 10:13   Link #366
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Well that seems good but I wonder if I will be able to get residence over there because of my chrage. But what I did was considered criminal mischeif but it was a pretty small charge. But evn if as a tourist is good then i am good, also it took place in a local juristiction court.

And just something i am thinking about, if I am "wanted" domestially in a state what does that mean for me ?
Old 2008-01-22, 14:07   Link #367
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"criminal mischief" ..... hmmmm, I'm going to guess its really unlikely to bubble up from any mere city/county jurisdiction. If you're asked if you'd had any convictions though, admit right to it, emphasize the *minor*, and if you did any community service - note that. Not admitting it will get you in a heap more trouble if directly asked.
If no one asks, just smile and keep moving.

Heh... "wanted" in a state.. or *by* the state? it depends on what for...
I have a friend who got ticketed by a corrupt cop (notorious small town - ambush cop) for a few manufactured traffic violations in a state he was doing work in. He just chose never to go back to that state. He's "wanted" there but its not affected his security classification nor his visa.
He was asked once about them during a security re-eval and he said he was contesting them and they were fine with that.

Obviously, its best to clear such things up --- and if you were 18 or under when you were convicted, you might try to get the mischief conviction expunged (lawyer $$) because at some point you're going to want a job and they're going to have an idiot HR department that will have outsourced their background check to some dumbass company who will nix you with the phrase "criminal record".

I have a friend who is fighting that sort of thing right now but, in her case, she put a phrase into the degree question that stated clearly that she had 4 yrs of study for an undergraduate degree (*NOT* that she had a degree) and the idiot outsourced background check company apparently can't parse English and reported she lied about having a degree. The hiring manager is now fighting with HR's mishandling of it and she's considering a lawsuit against the outsourced background-check company.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-22 at 14:26.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 16:20   Link #368
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Well this is my situation, I am a national of Trinidad and Tobago which is where I now reside however I used to live in the states until recently for about 4-5 years, and well silly me did some shit for the criminal mischief and when was time for the court date I bailed out of the U.S because of fear of what would happen....(the friends i got in trouble with all got of on like 20 hrs comm service.....but I ran away basically) and well after reading the thing on the finger prints I wanted to know if they could have anything on me.......Which if i am thinking properly I highly doubt they would as it wasn't anything much really
Old 2008-01-22, 17:03   Link #369
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ouch... best of luck to you, but it may pop up at some point in the future while you're traversing nations -- and it'll be up to the disgression of the officer in front of you whether you pass the gate or not. Dress nicely and smile
Old 2008-01-22, 17:33   Link #370
mxg
The Lone Gamer

So is my situation hopeless ?
Old 2008-01-22, 18:03   Link #371
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um, no... it'd be *best* if you found a stateside lawyer to work something out with the court (first have him see if its even on the books, then see if something can be worked out in terms of a fine or community service where you live?). This sort of stuff is squishier than "law and order" types would have you think. It gets *really* flimsy if you were under 18 at the time.

Its not open or shut... most of the time you may encounter no problems. But if an officer of any country (including the US) looks at you funny and then runs a deeper check - he *may* find it and use that as an excuse to deny entry somewhere. Its just an additional risk of having a vacation ruined or immigration denied if you don't see to it.

As they say on Slashdot, IANAL (I am not a lawyer). So you'd need to talk to one, preferably one who specializes in Juvenile, immigration, crimes by foreigners, etc. and see what can be done. There's something to be said for sincerely trying to clear things up, though.
Old 2008-01-22, 18:28   Link #372
mxg
The Lone Gamer

heh I guess so, and although you are not a lawyer I dunno if it would help but i was 18 at the time, also I have no plans to enter the states unless I actually can, Also when planning my trip I was planning to pass through England or something like that to avoid the states.

I also wouldn't mind getting this whole issue cleared up so I can get back to the states even if it is for a vacation, I am wondering if there are any websites that can help me out on what I need to know before going to a lawyer ?

Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 2008-06-26, 07:20   Link #373
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Winter Trip to Japan

End of this year, i m going to Japan. From what i heard, having a dip in the outdoor onsen while getting snowed on is an amazing experience and being the japanophile that most of us are, I must experience it first hand (plus after 1 year in bloody desert Qatar, i wanna go to somewhere cold for a change)

So, anyone here is living in or have been to Japan and be able to offer some insights and advice on travelling to Japan during the winter season? Right now, I'm thinking of going to Tokyo and Kyoto if possible.
Old 2008-06-26, 07:41   Link #374
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
End of this year, i m going to Japan. From what i heard, having a dip in the outdoor onsen while getting snowed on is an amazing experience and being the japanophile that most of us are, I must experience it first hand (plus after 1 year in bloody desert Qatar, i wanna go to somewhere cold for a change)

So, anyone here is living in or have been to Japan and be able to offer some insights and advice on travelling to Japan during the winter season? Right now, I'm thinking of going to Tokyo and Kyoto if possible.
If you're intent on getting snowed on during December, your best bet is to go to the Hokuriku, Shin'etsu or Tohoku regions, or Hokkaido. Otherwise, you may not find it especially "cold". I think the most famous of the sort of outdoor onsen you're thinking of are in Nagano Prefecture. Y'know, with the monkeys.

As for how to get to Japan during the winter, I hear airplanes are a good bet. Boats take a while, and oceans tend not to freeze...
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 07:57   Link #375
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
If you're intent on getting snowed on during December, your best bet is to go to the Hokuriku, Shin'etsu or Tohoku regions, or Hokkaido. Otherwise, you may not find it especially "cold". I think the most famous of the sort of outdoor onsen you're thinking of are in Nagano Prefecture. Y'know, with the monkeys.

As for how to get to Japan during the winter, I hear airplanes are a good bet. Boats take a while, and oceans tend not to freeze...
oops hehehe, i meant travelling in Japan. hmmm i ll have to check with my missy if she minds monkeys in her onsen
Old 2008-06-28, 07:03   Link #376
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
I think Houriku would be a good idea if you like snow, seafood, onsen and traditional culture. Taking both Tokyo and Kyoto into the plan, probably the following route looks not bad.

(Enter) International Airport Narita -> Tokyo -> Intercity The White Eagle -> Kanazawa -> Intercity The Egret -> Kyoto -> International Airport Kansai (Exit)
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 08:43   Link #377
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
I think Houriku would be a good idea if you like snow, seafood, onsen and traditional culture. Taking both Tokyo and Kyoto into the plan, probably the following route looks not bad.

(Enter) International Airport Narita -> Tokyo -> Intercity The White Eagle -> Kanazawa -> Intercity The Egret -> Kyoto -> International Airport Kansai (Exit)
What are "The White Eagle" and "The Egret"? I haven't heard of these before.

For snow in December, Hokkaido is the safest choice, IMHO, but even then it might hit-or-miss.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 09:10   Link #378
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
What are "The White Eagle" and "The Egret"? I haven't heard of these before.
They are intercity trains.

Spoiler for photos:
Old 2008-06-29, 01:46   Link #379
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post

Thanks LiberLibri

Any idea how long the trip would be?from Tokyo to Kanazawa to Kyoto via those trains?
Old 2008-06-29, 04:52   Link #380
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Quote:
Thanks LiberLibri

Any idea how long the trip would be?from Tokyo to Kanazawa to Kyoto via those trains?
It takes about four hours from Tokyo to Kanazawa by Hakutaka. From Kanazawa to Kyoto, it takes about two hours.

These trains run through the deep mountain area of Japan. The view will cool down your eyes exhausted in the desert. I found The Thunderbird (Raichou) might be more convenient than Shirasagi because it requires no transfer on the way from Kanazawa to Kyoto. Consult with the hotelman or train staff on what is the best way within the limitation of budget, timetable and your preference.

Tags
japan, travel