AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-02-08, 13:34   Link #141
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, the Emperor has been confirmed (by Schneizel) to have a fixation on (Geass-related) ruins so it wouldn't be the innocent of him to mold the Hall into the likes of an ancient temple of Greek or Roman style. Not to mention that it makes for a quite ominous setting that nicely flows with the Emperor's pomp and prestige...
Old 2008-02-08, 13:58   Link #142
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

The place definately has a creepy feel to it. How do you get there though. It almost looks like ypu would have to fly or teleport there. The place definately looks like the kind of place for a final showdown.
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 14:00   Link #143
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Perhaps by an elevator set within that lower platform? Since the Emperor seems to stand between the columns at the far end, I expect the entry and exit point to be on the other end of the Hall, at the lowest part (as the ruler of Britannia would be meant to tower above the lowly aristocrats in an authoritative way).

For the showdown? Certainly. Britannia is where all began and where everything will find an end...if Taniguchi is infatuated with symbolism, then we can expect the Hall of Twilight to be indeed the setting for the finale and the conclusion of a long family tragedy.
Old 2008-02-26, 22:33   Link #144
cf_dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshimizu View Post
Made the same mistake Suzaku did in his first history class.

The Holy Empire of Britannia was established in A.D.1863. The first Emperor, Ricardo van Britannia the First, set that year as a.t.b. 1813, not a.t.b. 1.
That's because he traced all the way back to the very year their ancestor gained independence from the Roman Empire to be the first year of a.t.b. calendar.
(a.t.b. stands for Ascension Throne Britannia. Or as in kanji, the Imperial Calendar.)

So, A.D.1863 = a.t.b. 1813.
Now it's a.t.b. 2018 in Code Geass universe, aka A.D.2068.

O_o
My question is are other nations in CG world also adopt the a.t.b calendar?I think unlikely. EU and Chinese Fed seems don't have a good relationship with Britania. Particulary the EU, the one that already having an armed incident with Britania (in el Alamein, if I'm correct).So EU could be seeing Britania as an "Evil empire bend on world conquest", which is very true.

Maybe other nations still used AD calendar, and the Chinese probably used their own calendar system.
cf_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 22:37   Link #145
KrimzonStriker

The Chinese don't even use the the typical A.D calender in our world, if New Year being in February is any indication
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 05:01   Link #146
cf_dagger

Is there any information about Central and South America?Are they end up as a Britania Area, or still independent?Japan is Area 11, so could be Area 1 to 10 are conquered Latin America nations?

I don't believe there no on going world war in CG world.With this expansionist empire ruled by a Social Darwinism fanatic run amok at the rest of the world (I mean, 8 new Areas in 8 years), EU and Chinese Fed should have make a treaty and gang-rape Britania from ocean to ocean. In real world, just a little bit hardline intervention by USA or Rusia or European Union on other countries, people already feared World War III.
Old 2008-02-27, 05:10   Link #147
Strettger
PopulationControl Officer

I don't think even WW2 has happened in this universe, only WW1, the Great war between Brittania and Europe. Also, since Britain was invaded by the Romans in 50BC, wouldn't that make the current a.t.b date -50+2018 = 1968 AD?
Strettger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 05:22   Link #148
cf_dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strettger View Post
I don't think even WW2 has happened in this universe, only WW1, the Great war between Brittania and Europe. Also, since Britain was invaded by the Romans in 50BC, wouldn't that make the current a.t.b date -50+2018 = 1968 AD?
Are you sure CG World war I is between Europe and Britania?I don't remember such kind of information in the series. There is a scene of what seems to be the World War I style trench battle, but I don't recall that war are between Europe vs Britania.

Well, CG WW I could be almost similar to real world WW I just with Britania siding with the Central Powers. I can imagine such an autocratic-anti democracy empire like Britania join the Etente. It just my speculation though, but if Britania siding with German, I'm pretty sure the Etente would be deafeted.

The main reason of Etente victory in WW I is because USA backing them up, with weapon and supply (and latter troops).
Old 2008-02-27, 05:39   Link #149
Strettger
PopulationControl Officer

Well the topic of the USA in WW1 and 2 is hotly debated, it's regarded here that the USA merely speeded up an inevitable victory as opposed to the be all and end all of the wars. Britain was developing a nuke in tandem with the Americans, so if the US never came in in WW2 I presume we would have nuked Berlin. Damn it you got me off on a tangent, allways happens.

I'm 90% certain, if China conquored the West coast, you would build up forces, lick your wounds then get it back. Same with Brittania and the British Isles I think, if France conquored the British Isles in the Napoleonic wars, we would come back for the homeland.
Strettger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 06:07   Link #150
cf_dagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strettger View Post
Same with Brittania and the British Isles I think, if France conquored the British Isles in the Napoleonic wars, we would come back for the homeland.
I'm among those that believe British Isles never got reconquered by Britania. I prefer this kind of scenario:
1. Napoleon and pro French revolutionary ousted British monarcy and forced them to North America.
2. Napoleon muster his Grand Armee, invaded Rusia, and failed.He then defeated in Liepzig and exiled to Elba.
3. The British revolutionary form a new republic (let's name it Republic of Great Britain, for lack of imagination).
4. Napoleon returned, the European countries and the British Republic join force, form a coalition, and beat Napoleon at Waterloo.
5. Britania expanded into an empire that ruled entire North America, from Atlantic to Pacific, from Artic ocean to Mexican gulf (like that old American Empire/manifest destiny thing)
6. Britania sided with the german at World War I, but refused to make an Invasion to Europe (let say Republic Navy way stronger than Imperial navy). Instead Britania attack the Etente colonies in Caribean, Latin America, and Pacific.
7. Etente some how able to defend themselves and finally beat the Central Powers with an attrition war. The Versailes treaty signed but Britania make separate treaty with the Etente, to the ire of the Germans.
8. The Weimar republic formed and German royalty exiled to Britania. Let say the European got hit by the Rusian revolution and toppling/banishing their monarchs as well, and these nobles escape to Britania (I always wondered why so many un-British/un-American names in Britania, maybe this can explained that).
9. The USSR make an invasion toward Europe (similar with the C&C:red alert)
10. Europe united themselves and form the EU. EU defeated the USSR after long hard fighting (In WW II, Nazi German alone did heavy damage to USSR, when they got the Allied on their backs and the Rusian has full backup of USA & Britain.
Old 2008-04-08, 01:34   Link #151
scifijimmy

To put my two cents worth this thread, there are multiple problems in charting the course of Code Geass history. The following will attempt to clear some of that up as I have seen in the series.

1. THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT!- Acension Throne Brittania(or A.T.B.) does not equal Anno Domini(or A.D.) The date that A.T.B. dates from occurs around 55-54 B.C. in our dating system. Thus the series begins in 1962-3 in our calendar system.

2. The Magna Carta was signed in 1215 A.D. This may not be important I note it because it becamed viewed as a step away from absolute monarchy and the earliest beginnings of Parliament in England within our timeline.

3. In the period of 1642-1651 A.D. The English Civil Wars take place leading ultimately to the nine year removal of the monarchy. Had this gone differently the parliament could have been seriously weakened in its aftermath.

4. American Revolution occurs, but ultimately fails in Code Geass timeline. Known as Washington's Rebellion. First of three identifiable events that are KNOWN to different in Code Geass timeline.(side note: C.C. is said to known Washington and Franklin according to DVD source data.)

5. Battle of Trafalgar results in Brittania's defeat. Second known event differing in Code Geass universe.

6. Ricardo Van Brittannia rises to power and establishes the modern nation of Brittannia in 1813 A.T.B. or 1758 A.D. Third known event in Code Geass

Conclusion: Relatively certain facts are few and far between in the series. From available evidence it would appear that the Isles have been lost, and the Kingdom of of Great Britian ended prematurely to our timeline. The point of divergence has yet to be uncover, but probably lies within the English Civil Wars.
scifijimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:25   Link #152
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifijimmy View Post
To put my two cents worth this thread, there are multiple problems in charting the course of Code Geass history.

Relatively certain facts are few and far between in the series. From available evidence it would appear that the Isles have been lost, and the Kingdom of of Great Britian ended prematurely to our timeline. The point of divergence has yet to be uncover, but probably lies within the English Civil Wars.
I've been working on a fic which deals heavily with the alternate history of Britannia: (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3816236/...h_of_Brittania) I've also posted in this thread before. In the end I agree with the above that the concrete dates given as well as evidence within the show are too few to establish a clear picture of what takes place in the world for most of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. This of course opens the field up to speculation, which is fun, which is what we're doing now.

For the purposes of my story, I chose the principle that unless stated or shown within the anime, the history of the World of Code Geass differs as little as possible from that of our world's. Thus far, the only place where this has been a factor in my story is when Darlton gives Lelouch a military lesson, using Rommel's ultimate defeat at the hands of the British in North Africa as an example.

Glad to see people are using this thread again.
Old 2008-04-08, 03:34   Link #153
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Hey Cal. Been a while.

If possible, could you gather up all the history related DVD material into a single post? I wanna try reconstructing the report that got lost in my last hard drive crash.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:45   Link #154
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Thus far, the only place where this has been a factor in my story is when Darlton gives Lelouch a military lesson, using Rommel's ultimate defeat at the hands of the British in North Africa as an example.
From recent information, it was known that Britannia had been stuck in a stalemate against Europe for some time, and that's where most of Britannia's best Knights were occupied during the first season (And thus unavailable against Zero).

It was mentioned that a "Genius Commander" of Europe was responsible at halting Brittania's superior forces. However there would not be sufficient time in the 2nd season to elaborate on it, hence we may never know who this genius is.

Still, one fan theory was that the commander might in fact BE Rommel, born a few decades late. Let's face it, he lost the war in Africa purely because his supply lines failed him. He was also one of the most respected Commanders in the entire WWII by both sides. If given the resources of the entire Europe, he would have the means to defend against a Britannian assault.
Old 2008-04-08, 03:48   Link #155
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

The calendar for Ascension Throne Britannia is about six decades ahead of Anno Domini right? That would place the plot of Code Geass in the proximity of WWII, and would somewhat explain C.C.'s WWI flashbacks.

Old 2008-04-08, 04:10   Link #156
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
can't believe Nelson lost against Napoleon!My naval hero? the goddammn naval genius, who's legend rules the seven seas? Where at every anniversary of the famous battle, ships from all the Navies of the World come to pay their respects? (Even the Japanese!)

dammn you CG! dammn you all!

*sobs*
Old 2008-04-08, 04:12   Link #157
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
can't believe Nelson lost against Napoleon!My naval hero? the goddammn naval genius, who's legend rules the seven seas?

*sobs*
Ugh... I can't remember what I said for this one... I had an explanation for it...

Also, can someone get me a list of commanders from Nazi Germany and/or the Allied continental forces (basically the Allies minus Britain)? I want to start digging into the mystery genius commander that has kept Britannia at bay on the European front since the WWII era.

Old 2008-04-08, 04:21   Link #158
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
can't believe Nelson lost against Napoleon!My naval hero? the goddammn naval genius, who's legend rules the seven seas? Where at every anniversary of the famous battle, ships from all the Navies of the World come to pay their respects? (Even the Japanese!)

*sobs*
Well, to be honest, that battle was never going to be easy for the British. The Victory wouldn't be legendary if it wasn't hard-fought. Had Admiral Villeneuve decided to follow his instincts of preparing a counter against a direct assault, things could have turned out differently.
Nelson could have lost; that's what makes his victory more satisfying.
Old 2008-04-08, 04:34   Link #159
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Hey Cal. Been a while.

If possible, could you gather up all the history related DVD material into a single post? I wanna try reconstructing the report that got lost in my last hard drive crash.
Long time no see.

Everything should be on this forum thread, it is the only reference that I come back to.

Scifijimmy: You bring up an important point by pointing out that Ascension Throne Brittania does not equal Anno Domini and thus the series begins in... somewhere between the 1960s and 1970s, our time. Up until now I've been thinking that Code Geass was roughly our world's present time plus a decade, give a few years. That makes the existing tech gap between the two easier to swallow.

Vallen Chaos: Oh boy. I like Rommel, I know he has a generally good reputation amongst those interested in Japan. I doubt that he's the one though, because I think even if the producers were tempted they wouldn't risk the controversy of citing him as a character in the show (George Washington is not controversial, by comparison).

If we followed the time line strictly, he'd also be past his 70s by the time Code Geass takes place. Of course, delay his birth a few decades and it'd work just fine, it might not even be necessary. In the lottery chance that the show confirms that he is the one, I would laugh out loud.

DJ_RockmanX: Nazi Germany had many reputable commanders on air, land, and sea, you can find them all on wikipedia.

Though it'd be cool, the idea that historical figures in 2017 A.T.B correspond to those existing in our world in A.D. 1967 is a very long-shot. Otherwise, where was Yamamoto Isoroku when Britannia invaded Japan? I think there are just too many variables for the parallels to be that precise.

About the only thing we can be sure of is this: the producers didn't think things through nearly as much as we are doing now.
Old 2008-04-08, 04:42   Link #160
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Everything should be on this forum thread, it is the only reference that I come back to.
Dammit. lol.

I MUST recover my hard drive data somehow. Rewriting what I put in there is going to be hell otherwise.

Quote:
Nazi Germany had many reputable commanders on air, land, and sea, you can find them all on wikipedia.
Meh. I'm lazy.

Quote:
Though it'd be cool, the idea that historical figures in 2017 A.T.B correspond to those existing in our world in A.D. 1967 is a very long-shot. Otherwise, where was Yamamoto Isoroku when Britannia invaded Japan? I think there are just too many variables for the parallels to be that precise.
The Pacific Theater is changed right from the start of Code Geass. That part of WWII is gonna be hell to figure out.

Quote:
About the only thing we can be sure of is this: the producers didn't think things through nearly as much as we are doing now.
Let's write it for them and send them what we've got.