AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-06-28, 23:41   Link #201
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Look at it this way: Foldspace is like a road. The fold dislocations are snowdrifts that you have to travel over increasing your travel time. The new fold tech (and what the Vajra use) is like a snowplow blowing through those drifts like they weren't there!

Clearer now?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 23:50   Link #202
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by console65 View Post
Do you mean that fold space time is equal to regular space time? Or do you mean that you enter fold space and then you exit a second later (in regular space time) at your destination?

You guys really have to explain the science of fold to me.
You do realize this is science fiction right?

Watch episode six of Macross Frontier there's an explaination.

Think if fold dislocation as big road bumps when your ride a car.

You can't go from point A to point B immediately because of the bumps.

If you watch the episodes where Hikaru and Misa had been kidnapped the time they returned to Macross has been months even if they were in captivity for a day or two.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 17:52   Link #203
Taler
http://typemoon.us

Why is there a runway on the carrier when they're in SPACE?
Taler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 18:39   Link #204
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taler View Post
Why is there a runway on the carrier when they're in SPACE?
to build up momentum and speed for fighters,it also helps time launches so you can get more out efficiently....and it looks neat :P
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 19:42   Link #205
Taler

Ah unfortunately the runway decreases speed via friction, doesn't help increase it in any way. And what?

The question was rhetorical anyway, imo it's just really dumb.
Old 2008-07-17, 19:44   Link #206
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Ah unfortunately the runway decreases speed via friction, doesn't help increase it in any way. And what?

The question was rhetorical anyway, imo it's just really dumb.
Please do remember that vessels are also expected of engaging in atmospheric battles. Moreover, if you seen how fighters are launched, they are actually catapulted through the runway instead of actually wheeling the platform.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 19:50   Link #207
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Please do remember that vessels are also expected of engaging in atmospheric battles. Moreover, if you seen how fighters are launched, they are actually catapulted through the runway instead of actually wheeling the platform.

- Tak
*applause*
Mag rail launching system FTW!
note:The rail can be made from magnetic energy so there dosenot have to be a psychical rail for a mag rail system.
Old 2008-07-17, 21:48   Link #208
Taler

Oh, really. Still seems like a big waste to me. In normal aircraft carriers there needs to be a min momentum to give the planes sufficient lift to take off. With rockets and the speed those rockets accelerate at catapults are pointless.

We've all seen the mechs stop and change directions very shortly after being launched, all the momentum then goes out the window and extra rocket fuel in the other direction is wasted.

Simply put, the mechs have rockets.

Also, even in atmospheric flights runways are not ideal. NASA sends their shuttles to space straight up, this makes sense if most of your propulsion comes from rockets and lift being secondary. Especially since these things fight mostly in space.. etc first paragraph.
Old 2008-07-17, 22:05   Link #209
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Oh, really. Still seems like a big waste to me. In normal aircraft carriers there needs to be a min momentum to give the planes sufficient lift to take off. With rockets and the speed those rockets accelerate at catapults are pointless.

We've all seen the mechs stop and change directions very shortly after being launched, all the momentum then goes out the window and extra rocket fuel in the other direction is wasted.

Also, even in atmospheric flights runways are not ideal. NASA sends their shuttles to space straight up, this makes sense if most of your propulsion comes from rockets and lift being secondary. Especially since these things fight mostly in space.. etc first paragraph.
Fuel? Lol They haven't been using fuel since the VF-0.
They're using thermonuclear engines for Valkyries.
Besides runways also serve as landing areas like they did in ep 14. Better not crash and burn in the hangar.

Anyway since the VF-4 Valkyries are able to reach orbit without rocket boosters.
That's how powerful Valkyries are today.

Something tells me that this conversation will be transfered to the mech and tech thread.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 00:44   Link #210
ZippyDSM

Quote:

Tradition serves a purpose when its not abused,in this case the flight deck is still a multi purpose assist for a carrier, even in space.
Old 2008-07-18, 01:14   Link #211
Taler

OK mates, I believe I've made my point. Sorry for asking an illegitimate question.
Old 2008-07-18, 01:24   Link #212
ZippyDSM

Quote:
OK mates, I believe I've made my point. Sorry for asking an illegitimate question.
No question is illegitimate, merely poorly constructed...I should know for droolz a lot.

They could have from the hanger but then where would the damaged ships go?
They have the mag rail systems but not a full on tractor beam at least one not subtle enough to deal with damaged incoming fighters not to mention many incoming damaged fighters, you would not want one of those things going off in the hanger.

While they don't "need" the launching system look at M7 and the elevator fed launching system it has for fodder...er normal fighters, the elite team got the rail launching system.

While not badly needed for take off the rail system dose get them into space at faster speeds or higher speeds more quickly faster than normal take off.

The deck is a good place to crash and attach large damage vessels to..that and iz looks neat :P
Old 2008-07-18, 06:40   Link #213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Fuel? Lol They haven't been using fuel since the VF-0.
They're using thermonuclear engines for Valkyries.
They're still going to need either reaction mass or some more handwavium. (Not that they ever seem to run out of reaction mass. Or bullets, despite the intense usage of both.)

Quote:
Besides runways also serve as landing areas like they did in ep 14. Better not crash and burn in the hangar.

Anyway since the VF-4 Valkyries are able to reach orbit without rocket boosters.
That's how powerful Valkyries are today.
All the more reason a deck is superfluous.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 06:47   Link #214
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They're still going to need either reaction mass or some more handwavium. (Not that they ever seem to run out of reaction mass. Or bullets, despite the intense usage of both.).
They have run out of ammo enough to give the illusion of having ammo.

Quote:
All the more reason a deck is superfluous.
Not if you need a landing zone or to park extra fighters from a downed carrier....its not needed to launch but for other as important things.
Old 2008-07-19, 10:44   Link #215
Taler

What does the president's daughter actually do? All we've seen from her is running errands and delivering messages, have these people never heard of email?

At least we're sure there's no neopotism going on here, heh.
Old 2008-07-19, 16:05   Link #216
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

^ she's an communications officer in the New United Nations Spacy. Prior to her being assigned to SMS Quarter she was the aide de camp to Leon, a Military adviser to the President.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 12:35   Link #217
Taiyakikung

Send a message via ICQ to Taiyakikung
What's the purpose of grace?Who is Brera?and What are they?
I'm totally confused after watching 15th episode.
Old 2008-07-20, 12:37   Link #218
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiyakikung View Post
What's the purpose of grace?Who is Brera?and What are they?
I'm totally confused after watching 15th episode.
Thing is, we can only speculate now. Because if we knew, there wouldn't be much of the series left

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 13:24   Link #219
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Thing is, we can only speculate now. Because if we knew, there wouldn't be much of the series left

- Tak
Bera is a cyborg seems to be a pawn of Grace and those above her(if there are any).

Grace seems to be part of a "communal" AI/min(starting to think "they" rule/lead galaxy),altho with such strong personalities it seems a more multi personality and multi tasking AI/mind thing, looking at the tech it would no be to hard to download a mind into a computer.She has a modified body, she also appears to be a operative for galaxy for spying and subterfuge and uses the manager gig as cover .
Old 2008-07-21, 21:18   Link #220
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

this may sound stupid, but could anyone explain the meanings of "Deculture"?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a