AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-16, 03:10   Link #21
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The article specifically mentions Winny, who's protection has been broken and is no longer secure.
And exactly for that reason I expect most filesharers have moved to more secure P2P software a long time ago (like Share or Perfect Dark).

The only people they'll block this way are the clueless Japanese P2P users who are still using Winny.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 03:33   Link #22
wao
OK.

Same reaction as GHDPro. Winny only? This is absolutely nothing to worry about. I was thinking wtf, they're going after Share and PD users but if it's just Winny then this makes little impact. I'm sure most knowledgeable raw cappers have long moved to those two networks and so have raw hunters for fansub groups/torrent uploaders.

I'm sure what they really want to do, as someone mentioned earlier, is just scare casual uploaders since *gasp* more people are starting to know that anime DOES get "casually" uploaded and shared around the way it openly is on places like Youtube and niconico etc. So then they try doing it themselves, and if they don't do some scaremongering and deletion tactics like this they'll sort of make illegal uploaders out of people who would have otherwise not done anything.

Particularly kids, I think.
Old 2008-03-16, 04:05   Link #23
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The article's title doesn't match the description of the agreement ISPs have made. This actually doesn't sound any different from what's done in the US today under the DMCA.

Smart people will feel more free to share realizing that at least they'll have a friendly warning before there would be any threat of police action, but I'm sure the masses will quake in fear of getting (menacing voice) a letter. The hard part is the threat of permanent disconnection for multiple violations, but there's not enough information to judge when that consequence occurs.

The effect it will have on fansubs will probably be measured in how successful the copyright holders are in cracking the anonymity measures in P2P software and aggressive they are in finding violations. I really don't expect much, since non-anonymous BitTorrent in the US goes on virtually unimpeded despite the massive efforts spent in sending DMCA takedown notices.

I actually see this as being good for copyright-infringers in the long term. Yes, there will be some blips as people react to news and getting takedown notices, but over time we'll see better anonymity schemes, the average participant will be able to rest easy knowing that the police won't be coming to make an example of him, and participators will find strength in numbers, since a larger number of people sharing a file means a smaller likelyhood of each one being identified.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 04:43   Link #24
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
The article specifically mentions Winny, who's protection has been broken and is no longer secure.
And exactly for that reason I expect most filesharers have moved to more secure P2P software a long time ago (like Share or Perfect Dark).

The only people they'll block this way are the clueless Japanese P2P users who are still using Winny.
was winny the first? or share?.. i know theyve done this a couple of times already, and they keep making better P2P networks
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 04:59   Link #25
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Who cares in Korea?

We have our seperate online video sites, which only we can access.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 05:29   Link #26
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
was winny the first? or share?.. i know theyve done this a couple of times already, and they keep making better P2P networks
Winny was first. It's quite old, I think the first version was in 2000 or so? Share is much newer, and I believe was released in 2003-4 after winny was "compromised" by the police. The latest one perfect dark (which is far from perfect, but pretty dark ) I think came around less than a year ago.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 05:35   Link #27
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Who cares in Korea?

We have our seperate online video sites, which only we can access.
LOL

I laugh because....it's true You don't know the pain I have to go through. How easy it is to get the awesome Korean Drama's yet all that blocks me is my inability to read korean text and.....the whole thought of having to register. If I recall correctly one site needed name, occupation, address, urine sample etc

But yeah.... at least I tried. But hey, as long as we can have more people who "are uploading home video's to cousins" it'll be okay, right?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 05:43   Link #28
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
LOL

But yeah.... at least I tried. But hey, as long as we can have more people who "are uploading home video's to cousins" it'll be okay, right?
of course its ok! cousins and extended family
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 06:13   Link #29
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well that just the same like cleaning up the internet from warez and/or pirated software... i think it'll won't affect fansub greatly...

Not that i compare fansubs with warez and/or pirated software...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 06:23   Link #30
leii

I always thought it was legal to distribute something from a tv broadcast until the DVD is released.
leii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 06:54   Link #31
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by leii View Post
I always thought it was legal to distribute something from a tv broadcast until the DVD is released.
Nope, despite the fact that it was broadcast freely, distribution is still copyright infringement. The broadcasters are the only ones given authorization to distribute.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 07:20   Link #32
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
"One of these days...!!"

Well I like the virus analogy, there is always a loophole some smart kid out there will exploit. There is no way to stop the net unless you have a few nukes handy

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 08:32   Link #33
uberjoras
Baka-sama

Lightbulb Tell me what you think

They could just go another route... Try to sell Anime to people instead of having them DL Fansubs... or God-forbid; warez.

Think about it- DVD's and the extra stuff they try to add to make you buy it cost a lot, but eschew the extras, just go for the files. Save yourself like $10 there alone. AND you're saving the environment by not having lots of misc. junk you're not going to use. Like personally, I hated having to cash up $20 for 4 episodes of Higurashi. That's 5 bucks an episode for all you math geniuses!

They could make money, save us money, and sell their shows to a MUCH wider market if they sold JUST THE DVD FILES. I think it's a win-win solution, but sometimes Corporations are dumb.

I mean, people are going to buy it if they really liked the show, and add copy-protection (like on iTunes, where you have to authorize a computer to play the music/videos etc.) if you're really paranoid of people sharing the files.

does ANYONE agree with my reasoning, or am I trying to get blood from a stone?
uberjoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 08:42   Link #34
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
of course its ok! cousins and extended family
I have a big extended family. My great-great-great grandma was quite prolific.
Old 2008-03-16, 09:01   Link #35
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic View Post
Cut off one head, and two new ones grow back.
In Japan, no. Anyone tangentially connected will go into a low profile for a few weeks and the shows targeted will likely be left alone for a while. Otherwise, same reaction as GHDpro and wao.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 09:34   Link #36
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leii View Post
If we're talking about fansubbed anime, we've always skated by on the "do Japanese companies really care about what goes on overseas?" As long as they don't say no...

It is and always was illegal according to the letter of the law.

If we're talking about, say, US shows distro'ed in the US, it is illegal and companies are much more likely to care. If it's a cable show, then you wouldn't have to pay for cable -- you would just DL the latest Battlestar Galactica.

If it's a free show like Lost, then ABC loses advertiser points by people not watching on television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjoras View Post
They could just go another route... Try to sell Anime to people instead of having them DL Fansubs... or God-forbid; warez.

Think about it- DVD's and the extra stuff they try to add to make you buy it cost a lot, but eschew the extras, just go for the files. Save yourself like $10 there alone. AND you're saving the environment by not having lots of misc. junk you're not going to use. Like personally, I hated having to cash up $20 for 4 episodes of Higurashi. That's 5 bucks an episode for all you math geniuses!

They could make money, save us money, and sell their shows to a MUCH wider market if they sold JUST THE DVD FILES. I think it's a win-win solution, but sometimes Corporations are dumb.

I mean, people are going to buy it if they really liked the show, and add copy-protection (like on iTunes, where you have to authorize a computer to play the music/videos etc.) if you're really paranoid of people sharing the files.

does ANYONE agree with my reasoning, or am I trying to get blood from a stone?
It's not expensive because of the DVD. The physical media is dirt cheap.

It's expensive because of licensing costs, because of English voice actors, paying translators, et. al.

Putting them up on an iTunes-like site would save you a couple of bucks at the most, because that's not where the cost is.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 10:06   Link #37
Phantasmagoria
*Author

I assume Hentai remains safe, rofl.
Old 2008-03-16, 11:06   Link #38
alpha3six
913-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
I assume Hentai remains safe, rofl.
No, the UN is trying to get that banned to protect children, but that's a separate matter.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 11:11   Link #39
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3six View Post
No, the UN is trying to get that banned to protect children, but that's a separate matter.
Huh? Hentai and protecting children?

What's the link? I don't see it..
Old 2008-03-16, 11:13   Link #40
gabbytay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha3six View Post
Is hentai even hurting "children"?
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote