AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-12-12, 06:13   Link #961
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Don't worry. You don't have to play the 1st game as the ME2 PS3 version will have a ME1 interactive e-comic before you begin ME2 which you read and decide the choices which will affect ME2 just like the 360 version.

Source
I somehow doubt that some of the minor sidequests are going to make an appearance in that comic, which makes me sad, given how some of them come back to bite you in ME2.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 22:57   Link #962
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Guys I have a question. I played the original Mass Effect, and while I think it's an okay game, I had a lot of issues with it. I will display them below, and would like for you to tell me, if the second game addresses them and therefore, if I would enjoy it more than the first game. I am really interested to see my actions in the first game carrying over to the second one, but I don't know if the game will entertain me enough, so that I'll keep playing long to actuall enjoy that. I have watched a few reviews already, but they don't go into too much detail, that's why I'm asking here.

1. The battle system felt weak. I never actually used many of the skills except for reviving and lifting up enemies. It played like a dated and awkward shooter, with no depth to it.

2. The inventory and shopping system lacked overview. I didn't even know I could upgrade my equipment until late into the game.

3. The driving mechanics were terrible. I've heard that the second game won't have vehicle missions anymore, though.

4. The story took a long time to actually get interesting. The first half of the game was pretty boring in that regard.

5. This is minor, but all the weapons basically looked the same, just different colors here and there.

6. Along with the first one my biggest issue was that throughout the whole experience, the game never once was running fluitly for longer than 30 seconds. I played the 360 version and had installed the game, but it just wouldn't let me enjoy walking through the citadel because of that technical flaw.

7. The dialog options often wouldn't acurately display the actual line my character would say after choosing them. This could be due to bad translations though as I was playing the German version.

Now keep in mind, that I'm not ranting about the original Mass Effect here. There were some aspects I rellay liked, like the scale of the universe and the consequences of my actions. I really would like to know if Mass Effect 2 would appeal to me more given the quibbles I had with the first game, and if I should play it or just give up on the Mass Effect franchise.
Old 2010-12-12, 23:45   Link #963
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
1. The battle system felt weak. I never actually used many of the skills except for reviving and lifting up enemies. It played like a dated and awkward shooter, with no depth to it.
Battle system is completely reworked. Unlimited ammo is gone, and it is rare that you'll exit any battle without using any special powers. The shooting aspects are still a little simple, with strong similarities to other popular shooters, but the ease at using you and your teams powers makes up for any simplicity.

Quote:
2. The inventory and shopping system lacked overview. I didn't even know I could upgrade my equipment until late into the game.
Good news then, there is no inventory system anymore . In fact, for whatever reason, you can't collect any new weapons/armor from your fallen foes, instead only upgrading weapons/armor by finding new ones, finding new upgrades for old weapons, or buying upgrades.

Quote:
3. The driving mechanics were terrible. I've heard that the second game won't have vehicle missions anymore, though.
More good news, no driving . (Unless you download one of the DLCs which is all about acquiring a vehicle...Oh, and there is a fun driving sequence in the must have Shadow Broker DLC).

Quote:
4. The story took a long time to actually get interesting. The first half of the game was pretty boring in that regard.
The action and story start immediately, there is no 5 hours spent on the Citadel wandering around solving (pointless) quests. But, the main focus of the drama is not the main story, but the various character quests you need to accomplish in order to get the best ending.

Quote:
5. This is minor, but all the weapons basically looked the same, just different colors here and there.
Bad news, there are only about 10 weapons in the universe and you can onyl use a few of them (depending on your class choice)...

Quote:
6. Along with the first one my biggest issue was that throughout the whole experience, the game never once was running fluitly for longer than 30 seconds. I played the 360 version and had installed the game, but it just wouldn't let me enjoy walking through the citadel because of that technical flaw.
I encountered no problems on the 360, but I'll tell you if I have any problems when I rent the PS3 version...

Quote:
7. The dialog options often wouldn't acurately display the actual line my character would say after choosing them. This could be due to bad translations though as I was playing the German version.
This is intentional. The dialogue choices are more options rather than verbatim lines.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 02:34   Link #964
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
What I meant with 7 was rather that the meaning or the intention of a choice wasn't clear at times. Thanks for the answers though.
Old 2010-12-16, 09:27   Link #965
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Mass Effect 2 Running on Threequel's Engine For PS3

I guess this means ME3's graphics will be pretty similar to ME2.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 12:46   Link #966
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, we'll see for sure when the demo hits the PSN next week, I guess.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 17:22   Link #967
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The end result to my question i asked the other day was myself buying a 360 earlier today, with a copy of Mass Effect.

I'll go onto Mass Effect 2 on the 360 once i'm finished, though that doesn't mean i'm fully saying no to the PS3 version.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-12-16 at 17:36.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 17:39   Link #968
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Yeah, we'll see for sure when the demo hits the PSN next week, I guess.
There are already comparison videos and pics out (which can be found on the google), and the difference is quite noticeable (though ultimately peripheral).

I'm most interested in the 15 minute interactive comic that will appear at the beginning of the game, summarizing the first game (since Mass Effect was never ported to the PS3).
Old 2011-01-02, 23:28   Link #969
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
http://kotaku.com/5722809/mass-effec...-dlc-confirmed

From January 24th, Cerberus Network will no longer be providing "news updates" except for 3 weeks in 2011. One of these weeks will precede what we can assume to be the final major DLC, the other 2 will precede the release Mass Effect 3.

Oh, BTW. From Christina Norman's twitter (ME2 lead gameplay designer/programmer)
Quote:
@Dibol1987 I don't think it is a spoiler to say that fans who let their team die in me2 will feel the consequences in me3
So if you think none of the squadmates are coming back because they can all die, you'd be wrong. It looks like at least some of them will be back... provided that they're alive.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 08:24   Link #970
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

told ya Arby XD I knew the shadow broker wasnt the last DLC.
Old 2011-01-03, 09:23   Link #971
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Just paid a visit to the Bioware board, and wow, I can't believe the amount of drama that was raised around the whole 'exclusive PS3 content' thing. It's funny, considering that in the past a port that didn't give exclusive new content was unanimously labeled a bad port.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 09:52   Link #972
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
told ya Arby XD I knew the shadow broker wasnt the last DLC.
Considering Bioware's promise of ME2 'content' all the way up till ME3's release, it's only natural.

In fact, I would go the extra length to say they underperformed, in my opinion. Granted, they didn't break their promise ( daily news updates coughcough ), but only Lair of the Shadow Broker really felt like the only real 'in-between' stuff that they've coughed out.

The rest weren't really all that interesting, ranging from just weapons, armours and not-so-interesting side-mission stuff. It had consequences, but it didn't feel like a real build-up from the end of the Collector's battle leading to ME3.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 09:54   Link #973
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Oh I knew, some didn't belive.

Bbut anyways I hope ash is in this one.
Old 2011-01-03, 15:01   Link #974
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Bbut anyways I hope ash is in this one.
Agreed. Ash/Kaiden should be the next DLC, and since I was planning on at least renting the PS3 version, knowing that there will be new content will automatically bump the title up to a buy, so Bioware will get even more of my money this year .
Old 2011-01-08, 07:59   Link #975
Hellbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Agreed. Ash/Kaiden should be the next DLC, and since I was planning on at least renting the PS3 version, knowing that there will be new content will automatically bump the title up to a buy, so Bioware will get even more of my money this year .
Just as a clarification, the PS3 version won't contain anything the PC and 360 already don't have. What you will get access to is items that were exclusive, e.g. the Dr. Pepper promo items or the pre-order items that many people who buy Mass Effect 2 on either of the other systems right now can't get.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:37   Link #976
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore View Post
Just as a clarification, the PS3 version won't contain anything the PC and 360 already don't have. What you will get access to is items that were exclusive, e.g. the Dr. Pepper promo items or the pre-order items that many people who buy Mass Effect 2 on either of the other systems right now can't get.
And even that send people into a hissy-fit.

Oh, how times have changed.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 15:14   Link #977
Otsdarva
Cadenza

*sigh* Some people want their cake and to eat it, too. I'm perfectly fine with my 360 version, anything else given to the other people for compensation is fine by me. I'd only get red if they gave 360 a beta version while saving the real version of the game for the PS3 *hint hint*

Quote:
told ya Cello* XD I knew the shadow broker wasnt the last DLC.
Fixed that for you.
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 17:52   Link #978
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I love ME2 but I'm kinda miffed with it at the minute.

I've been playing through it on insanity difficulty and its been brutal so far and even more so given my class is an infiltrator but I managed to get a good bit through it before calling it a day.

The next time I loaded it up I managed to slog my way through the collector ship after dying a few times but and when I got back to the Normandy I noticed the difficulty had changed back down to hardcore !?! meaning I wont get the insanity achievement which is the only one I've still to do =/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 06:33   Link #979
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
Hey guys
do you think there will also be a code for an Armor in Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age2?

I want this Blood Dragon Armor for Mass Effect 3 again
Old 2011-01-10, 10:01   Link #980
Irkalla
I asked for this

I hope they make the helmet detachable in the special armors..I have all these armors and I've never even used them. Why would I spend ages to make a custom face just to have it under a creepy helmet, nokay. Yeah, I'm vain like that and need to wear the pretty Sentry Interface or Archon Visor. Oh well, at least I can use the Kester (or something) armor.

Tags
bioware, mass effect, mass effect 2