AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-12, 12:03   Link #1161
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
This isn't 100% from Chuuniybou, but since it focuses on the series, I felt it best fit here. Nojitetsu-san posted an interesting look at how magazine illustrations are made based upon this month's magazines' Chuunibyou illustrations. I felt it needed to be translated to share the information internationally.
Learning how things work behind the scenes is always interesting. It makes sense in retrospect, but it didn't occur to me that the magazine would make requests regarding the image. Thanks for the translations.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 12:21   Link #1162
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Can someone explain how the Chuunibyou and Chuunibyou lite episodes are Aired? I noticed Lite Episode 3 has already aired but the regular episode 3 is not. Are they shown at different points in the week?

P.S. this is not a question about scantalations or anything i really want to know the Aired days so i can watch it. If anyone has this info i'd be super happy.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 12:24   Link #1163
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
Can someone explain how the Chuunibyou and Chuunibyou lite episodes are Aired? I noticed Lite Episode 3 has already aired but the regular episode 3 is not. Are they shown at different points in the week?
The Lite episodes are streamed for a week via Youtube starting at 16:00 JST every Thursday beginning on 2012/09/27. The main show airs first on Tokyo MX at 24:30 on Wednesdays beginning on 2012/10/03. The Lite episodes started nearly a week prior to the main show, so that's why we have 3 episodes of it and only 2 of the latter.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 12:50   Link #1164
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Calculator at the door, huh. Now I have an idea. I should put that slide rule I have in front of my door, topping Rikka by going full analog. It's cooler. Right, right!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Learning how things work behind the scenes is always interesting. It makes sense in retrospect, but it didn't occur to me that the magazine would make requests regarding the image. Thanks for the translations.
Indeed. I was under the impression that the production committee will try to push illustration into the magazines to promote their anime. It make more sense this way. No wonder the staffs are happy having their illustrations shows up in the magazine.

I wonder if the same thing apply to the books? Is the new shops that now carry Chuunibyou making the request as well? Or it's just that now KyoAni's book department push is more persuasive because of the anime?
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 12:51   Link #1165
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
The Lite episodes are streamed for a week via Youtube starting at 16:00 JST every Thursday beginning on 2012/09/27. The main show airs first on Tokyo MX at 24:30 on Wednesdays beginning on 2012/10/03. The Lite episodes started nearly a week prior to the main show, so that's why we have 3 episodes of it and only 2 of the latter.
Thank you very much now i dont have to miss anymore of them
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 14:46   Link #1166
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
This isn't 100% from Chuuniybou, but since it focuses on the series, I felt it best fit here. Nojitetsu-san posted an interesting look at how magazine illustrations are made based upon this month's magazines' Chuunibyou illustrations. I felt it needed to be translated to share the information internationally.
You're on a roll. Thanks again !
That's more or less what I presumed though I thought they had more liberty. However I think some magazines like Newtype let them more liberty since staff often adapt their illustrations in accordance with scenario advancement.
Old 2012-10-12, 15:46   Link #1167
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol@sempai asking if the Yuuta and Rikka are childhood friends. I can understand where she's coming from since the two are acting so friendly with each other, but alas, doesn't seem likely given what we know so far. Of course, there's always hope that they've forgotten their meeting at early childhood or something...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 16:55   Link #1168
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Old 2012-10-12, 17:28   Link #1169
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

^^ And speak of the devil, this scan is probably from Newtype. Very nice.

Quote:
Thanks for the hard work as always.

EDIT: Also, it seems the first 6 episodes will all be written by Hanada Jukki.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 17:46   Link #1170
HandofFate

I don't think its safe for Rikka to wear that contact len.
She's wearing an eyepatch so she's pretty much sleeping with a contact on 24/7.

And a comestic contact at that, which I hear tend to lead to easier eye irritation than real prescribed contacts.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2012-10-12 at 21:18.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 18:27   Link #1171
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I didn't comment much on the show itself after Episode 1 because I honestly wasn't sure if this show was more serious satire or more pure comedy.

After Episode 2, this show feels much more "pure comedy" to me, and so I'll give my take now. For a flashy anime comedy, it's pretty good and there's a fair bit of fun to it. It (perhaps ironically) makes me think a lot of a Key anime in the early going, just with better animation. Largely for that reason, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it might get a bit more "serious drama" later on, but for now it's pretty good pure comedy.

A few general observations:

1) The only person that seems to be giving Rikka a hard time about her Chunnibyou is, perhaps ironically, Yuuta (well, Yuuta and Rikka's sister).

Shinka didn't seem to really care about Rikka's antics in that one scene they shared, and Kumin is that sort of character that will roll with absolutely anything. Then there's Makoto Wingman, who lives up to both his name and his role by being 100% focused on how cute girls are, so I doubt he cares much about Rikka's Chunnibyou either. There's a definite irony in how Yuuta is afraid of being socially ostracized if he doesn't totally deny Chunnibyou, and yet none of his new friends in school seem to be bothered by it at all.

2) I'm kind of with Fred Friendly on the older sister. Wow, it's not hard to see how Rikka became the person she is if she's been getting ladeled all her life. It would be a neat twist if Rikka's older sister really is somebody in a shady role, like maybe Japan's equivalent of the CIA or something like that.

3) Rikka doesn't seem delusional so much as she puts an extremely colorful spin on everything. It was cute seeing Yuuta interpret her words, which did tend to point to actual issues, albeit in a highly exaggerated and fantasy-esque way.

Anyway, yeah, this is making me think of Key crossed with Denpa Onna so far. Interesting combination.
Old 2012-10-12, 18:31   Link #1172
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^ I don't think it is very wise to mention Key with Chuunibyou, considering the pattern and comedy style are definitely different and some people might have very weird conception if they read that kind of comment. If anything, it is vastly closer to Fumoffu and Nichijou humor, than the one used in air/kanon/clannad/little busters.

Especially if we consider the story direction and the themes.
Old 2012-10-12, 18:36   Link #1173
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
^ I don't think it is very wise to mention Key with Chuunibyou, considering the pattern and comedy style are definitely different
How are they different? Both rely heavily on slapstick comedy, quick verbal exchanges, and rather eccentric female characters. And the character designs for the female characters in this show feels much more Key-esque than it does FMP or Nichijou-esque.

Honestly, I think you're majorly overreacting to my comparison, Klash.
Old 2012-10-12, 18:52   Link #1174
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

If we were to use only "slapstick comedy" and verbal exchange as the vector of comparison, we might as well take all the series under such category, and label them as carbon copy (which would lead to a very ridiculous list). That's a simplification of my part but you get the idea: yes, both series share a specific type of comedy, yet I digress in your comparison, since I still consider a certain difference, which is also affecting other series.
Imho, the presentation is a tad different: air/kanon/clannad use the boke-tsukkomi (and this is more dialogues, except few points like Sunohara's antics), chu2koi rather uses completely whacky parts that just drasticaly enforce the comedy mood already established.
Chu2koi is much flashier and relying on the presentation of the slapstick, than really the dialogue, hence fumoffu/nichijou mentions (of course, I'm not basing everything on the action scenes alone). Also, I never took in consideration the character design in play.

In a nutshell, "comedy" style in my case isn't enough to really take another series as a base comparison (hence why I states it might confuse some people in the process), as there is more than just mere category of "wisecrack" / "tsukkomi boke" / "slapstick". Otherwise, that would make a series like Horizon and Steins;Gate as a "key-like comedy" series which would more than just misleading.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-12 at 19:03.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 18:55   Link #1175
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I didn't comment much on the show itself after Episode 1 because I honestly wasn't sure if this show was more serious satire or more pure comedy.

After Episode 2, this show feels much more "pure comedy" to me, and so I'll give my take now. For a flashy anime comedy, it's pretty good and there's a fair bit of fun to it. It (perhaps ironically) makes me think a lot of a Key anime in the early going, just with better animation. Largely for that reason, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it might get a bit more "serious drama" later on, but for now it's pretty good pure comedy.
It does seem to be a fun-spirited show. I'd say it won't ever get into melodrama territory, but may have a touch of seriousness- likely involving Yuuta's opinion on delusions.

Quote:
A few general observations:

1) The only person that seems to be giving Rikka a hard time about her Chunnibyou is, perhaps ironically, Yuuta (well, Yuuta and Rikka's sister).

Shinka didn't seem to really care about Rikka's antics in that one scene they shared, and Kumin is that sort of character that will roll with absolutely anything. Then there's Makoto Wingman, who lives up to both his name and his role by being 100% focused on how cute girls are, so I doubt he cares much about Rikka's Chunnibyou either. There's a definite irony in how Yuuta is afraid of being socially ostracized if he doesn't totally deny Chunnibyou, and yet none of his new friends in school seem to be bothered by it at all.
It's kind of weird, isn't it? I think there's a slight difference of expectations. It seems to be more permissible for females (especially in anime) to be more childish around that age- at least, in certain ways.

In my experience, the bulk of teens want to be taken seriously by their peers (and adults, to some degree). It's probably what weighs so much on Yuuta- he wants to be respected, to be mature; and his old self prevents that. Even if he still kinda feels the same way.

Yuuta reminds me a lot of Naota from FLCL. He desperately want to be mature, but that very drive makes him immature, in a way. I think he'll realise by the end of the show, that it's okay to be a little silly from time to time.

It's something that took me a while to figure out at that age. Thankfully, I had a few good friends who helped me learn to let loose a little. We'll see if Yuuta can do the same.

Quote:
2) I'm kind of with Fred Friendly on the older sister. Wow, it's not hard to see how Rikka became the person she is if she's been getting ladeled all her life. It would be a neat twist if Rikka's older sister really is somebody in a shady role, like maybe Japan's equivalent of the CIA or something like that.
I wonder how much of that is anime exaggeration, and how much is alluding to something interesting in Touka's background?

Quote:
3) Rikka doesn't seem delusional so much as she puts an extremely colorful spin on everything. It was cute seeing Yuuta interpret her words, which did tend to point to actual issues, albeit in a highly exaggerated and fantasy-esque way.

Anyway, yeah, this is making me think of Key crossed with Denpa Onna so far. Interesting combination.
I'm inclined to think she's enjoying life to the fullest, but would benefit from someone reining in her worst excesses. Rikka and Yuuta probably have a lot they can help each other with.

I'm having a lot of fun with this show, and time will tell how memorable it will end up being. I can see a little of myself in each of the main cast so far, which is kind of nice. As for the cartoon violence so far, I don't feel the need to take it too seriously just yet- there's no maliciousness involved as far as I can see.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:12   Link #1176
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Perhaps big sis, like Yuuta, is annoyed by little sis because it reminds her that she, too, was afflicted with Chunnibyou oh so many year ago. Perhaps this is also how she acquired her extraordinary gymnastic and fighting skills, by acting out her fantasies as a covert espionage agent. Just a theory.

Unfortunately for Rikka, now that she's moved in with her sister, she is getting hit with a double-whammy of negativity and violence from her sister and Yuuta.

Quote:
Good points. I wonder if anyone other than Yuuta has really even noticed that Rikka is a bit bizarre? Neither Shinka nor Kumin seemed to react as if Rikka was off her rocker. Quite the opposite in fact for Kumin, as she seemed to be having the time of her life while running away from the priestess of the Ethereal Horizon Overseers.

What will be very ironically amusing is if his fear of being exposed to his classmates as a prior Chunnibyou nutcase actually leads to Yuuta being the one who actually does the exposing, not Rikka or her big sister.

Quote:
What would be an even neater twist is if she had first been afflicted, as I speculated above, and then grew up to actually become a ninja-like covert agent.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:29   Link #1177
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Gawd, Kumin has her hands full.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:29   Link #1178
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I've become curious regarding the unusual family name of Rikka noticing that it's written "小鳥遊" but you read it "Takanashi". The reading is absolutely different from what the Kanji are commonly or even rarely read, like there doesn't seem to be any connection.

After a few searches I found out that that family name actually exists and it's not the only one who's that peculiar.
Here in this page I found an explanation.

Basically "Takanashi" stands for without (nashi) hawk (taka), the kanji say "kotori asobu" (little birds play). Basically the story behind this is that since there is no hawk, the little birds can play freely.
That's a pretty cool family name! Incidentally if Steins;gate taught me well, this is the kind of stuff that is really liked by "chuunibyou", in other words they like to come up with names that have readings completely different from how they are written and are only tied by association of concepts. I'm not completely sure but it might not be a coincidence.

BTW there's another character in this show with an equally peculiar family name: Tsuyuri, written "五月七日" (gogatsu nanoka) which means "May 7". I wonder what's the story behind this one...

Pointless trivia, but I thought that maybe I'm not the only one interested in this.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:46   Link #1179
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
BTW there's another character in this show with an equally peculiar family name: Tsuyuri, written "五月七日" (gogatsu nanoka) which means "May 7". I wonder what's the story behind this one...

Pointless trivia, but I thought that maybe I'm not the only one interested in this.
The names in this anime are all completely bonkers:
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 19:50   Link #1180
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Why is everything KyoAni touches cute as shit?

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen