AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-03-21, 19:52   Link #81
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
Really? That seems stupid, somehow.
Looks like 2012 is it.

They'rrre out! Olympics drop baseball, softball
Sports eliminated for 2012 Games, but could win way back in 2016
Quote:
SINGAPORE - The International Olympic Committee delivered a shocking message to baseball and softball on Friday: Yer out!

The two sports were kicked out of the Olympics, unwanted by international sports officials who felt they were too American for the world sports stage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8504326/
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 20:22   Link #82
I'm Oppressed
Why Does Everyone Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
Looks like 2012 is it.

Despite the fact that Cuba usually dominates international competition? Sounds political to me.
Old 2006-03-21, 20:24   Link #83
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Oppressed
Sounds political to me.
Yep. I totally agree.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 20:26   Link #84
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Yep. I totally agree.
OH NOES WE HATE AMERIKANS!

BASEBALL IS VERBOTEN!

Nevermind the fact that Asia and Latin America cant get enough of it. This just goes to prove how superior American culture is, once again! woo! USA!...or something

Well, it doesnt matter. In the end American, Asian, and Latino professionals can just say "Ef it".

To Quote the Great John Rocker....

"Im still a millionaire, and you're still a ........."

>.>
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 02:53   Link #85
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Asia and latin america can't get enough of Soccer, either.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 12:05   Link #86
I'm Oppressed
Why Does Everyone Hate Me

Opening Day in less than a week!
Old 2006-03-29, 14:36   Link #87
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Looks like 2012 is it.

That and you can only use a baseball stadium to play....baseball and softball. At least a large Olympic stadium can be easily converted to play track-and-field events and soccer games, a swimming stadium for multiple swimming events, but a baseball stadium is....just a baseball stadium. I guess money was a factor as well. Why would a country have to spend millions erecting a baseball stadium that can't be used for anything else once the Olympics are over? Deny it as you may, baseball isn't that popular in many nations compared to soccer.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-29, 15:21   Link #88
Lemonhead
Artificial Flavors

Baseball stadiums have been multi purpose for ages. Although the trend has been changing recently in many citys (at least in the US) to build baseball only stadiums, as a way to revitalise there downtowns. Alot of them still remain, so it's not really an issue of not wanting to waste money on building a stadium that can't be used for anything else. Just intrest in the event has been on the decline for a long time now, hell i remember them talking about dropping baseball for low attendance since the 96 games. Also while baseball might not of been "too american" you have to admit softball was, it's sad watching the us team steamroll everyone at each summer game.
Lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 08:37   Link #89
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:49.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 18:43   Link #90
mit7059

Ok time to revive this thread, seeing as how the playoffs start next week. Personally I'm rooting for the tigers, but I'm doubtful about their chances to win the world series, they've got the best record (tied with the yankees at the time of this post) but they're not that great against the better teams, they carve up the lesser teams like none other but I still question how they'll do especially because they didn't do too well in August and the beginning of september, they're bringing it back now but they're playing inferior teams again. The one thing they've got going for them is the depth of their bullpen. With starters like Kenny Rogers, Verlander and Robertson and a bullpen with people like Zumaya and Todd Jones they're not going to give up many runs. The tigers real problem is the lack of hitting. (Sorry this is all about the tigers, I don't follow any other teams besides for their records.)

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-27, 18:50   Link #91
Rurik
Golden

Yankees all the way...Goo Yankees

EWll I think As things are going, Either the Tigers or the Mets have a good shot of wining it all, but I will still root for the Yankees!
Old 2006-09-27, 20:39   Link #92
i0td

Earlier it seemed like the Mets and Tigers might be the two teams to actually hit the 100-win mark, but both have really cooled off a lot this month and that's not something they want carried over to the postseason. Tigers beating the A's or Yankees will be tough to pull off. And the Mets vs any of the NL teams fighting hard for the wild card should make for an exciting full five-game series.

Yankee fan Rurik, the Yankees have finished all too strongly and should be the team coming out on top. Good pitching and without a doubt, the best batting lineup in the league.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 19:51   Link #93
mit7059

so much for the yankees, I heard a great quote during the last game, "rooting for the yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack" We'll the house just lost in the face of great Tigers pitching, proof that you can't win with superstar hitting alone, good pitching beats good batting everytime. I was a little nervious going into game 4 though, bonderman can be rather spotty, but he was in great form tonight and with Kenny Roger's great showing last night I think that the Tigers should now be the favorite to win the world series, they may have faltered at the end of the season, but they're showing now why the led the major league for the majority of the season.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 15:38   Link #94
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Marketing Red Sox/Yankees in Japan

This past Sunday's Boston Globe had an intriguing article about the efforts of Major League Baseball to expand the market for American baseball in Japan. (Warning: This article may vanish in the near future as the Globe rotates stories.) The linked photo gallery is especially amusing. My favorite is the photograph of the Hanshin Tigers fan in her Tigers "cosplay" outfit. I can almost imagine "Osaka" from AzuDaioh in this outfit.

MLB's Japanese revenues are now reported to exceed $100 million annually from a combination of rights fees and paraphenalia sales. The Red Sox/Yankees push is especially targeted at fans of Tokyo's Yomiuri Giants and Osaka's Hanshin Tigers, whose relative success over the years parallels that of the teams from New York and Boston respectively.

We've already witnessed the effects of the signing of Daisuke ("Dice-K") Matsuzaka here in Boston. There's now a center-field billboard for Dunkin' Donuts in Japanese. It includes a picture of a coffee cup with a "DD" on the side of it so the rest of us know what the product is.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 14:20   Link #95
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
8 months and nobody posted in this thread... Wow.

Currently on ESPN, a conference is being held on the Mitchell Report. This report is the result of a year-long investigation of steroid use in Major League Baseball. On it is a list of names who are connected with steroid use, and it is said that 50-80 names are on it, which we will find out who once the report is posted on the MLB website. So far, Roger Clemens is confirmed to be on it, and I just heard Miguel Tejada's name as well. In the conference, it has been stated that all 30 clubs (that's teams) have had at least one player involved in the use of steroids and human growth hormone. I'm watching the conference right now, and I'll probably add to it further when it's done.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 16:33   Link #96
fallin up
my life is a harem

MLB Thread

Anyone else watch the home run derby? Hamilton 28 home runs. are you kidding me?

How bout the All-star game. that was one for the ages. 15 innings. too bad the national league lost. thats eleven straight years of AL victories (not counting that one tie).

Last edited by fallin up; 2008-07-19 at 01:15.
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 04:46   Link #97
solomon

Major League Baseball Thread

Hey Yall. I'm from Northern VA and we recently (3 years ago) got Baseball back here after like 3 decades in the Washington Nationals. After a much baleyhooed stadium construction and fanfare, they seem to have done little to get on the radar. They will have to work hard to outshine the Orioles who despite being in B'more, have been the defalt team for DC and vicinity.

I read somewhere that for some reason, often expansion or relocated teams take a while to get on the radar, any thoughts?

Also, I watched the marvel of the Philadelphia Phillies win their first World Series in almost 3 decades. Big fun (philly is my 2nd home), but apparently the country didn't care. World Series ratings have been down signifiganctly scince the 90s.

see here
;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...vision_ratings

So for another question to ponder on

Has Baseball lost interest of America and can it get it back?

Last edited by solomon; 2009-01-13 at 05:42.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 23:19   Link #98
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I read somewhere that for some reason, often expansion or relocated teams take a while to get on the radar, any thoughts?
I recall hearing complaints for years from baseball fans in the DC area about the lack of a home team. Now that you folks have a team no one seems to be watching. 9,000 households in the entire DC market on average watch the Nats on MASN. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 9,000 households on average watching Red Sox games on NESN here in just my suburban community outside Boston. Hell, we even have viewers in Japan.

It's going to take a while to build a fanbase, of course, and you still have competition from the Birds, not to mention the fact that Angelos owns the Orioles as well as a big chunk of MASN. I wish you well, though. It's been a long time since the Senators left town. Maybe we'll see you in the World Series some day...
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 02:07   Link #99
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Baseball is just one of those sports that need to be experienced in the stadium. I love baseball in the stadium ... you have to nail me to the sofa to watch it on tv. Its a ritualistic sport (which may be why the Japanese love it more than sumo anymore).

I'd be fine if baseball would roll back out of the high $$$$$$ business. I actually prefer the minor leagues in the US anymore: more entertainment value for the $$.
Old 2009-01-15, 21:54   Link #100
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I recall hearing complaints for years from baseball fans in the DC area about the lack of a home team. Now that you folks have a team no one seems to be watching. 9,000 households in the entire DC market on average watch the Nats on MASN. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 9,000 households on average watching Red Sox games on NESN here in just my suburban community outside Boston. Hell, we even have viewers in Japan.

It's going to take a while to build a fanbase, of course, and you still have competition from the Birds, not to mention the fact that Angelos owns the Orioles as well as a big chunk of MASN. I wish you well, though. It's been a long time since the Senators left town. Maybe we'll see you in the World Series some day...
Well you know, the Nats stink as of right now and I think prolly many still have the Cal Ripken days stuck in their heads. Also I will be frank, these regional sports networks don't have good advertizing at all. Fox Sports Net is an exception cause they can call on media sisters FOX news and giant FOX itself

Not in my area, I bet really it's the fact that B-Ball and Baseball are shoved onto these networks (and not on terrestrial) combined with said lack of ads that hurts em. It's the LA rams deal. More of those My Network/CW tv stations should take up more baseball it isn't like they are showing anything better.

Yea, Angelos is being unfair.

The Nats need some time to build, but they will be deserving of serious criticism if they don't get on the radar in say the next decade. That's just laziness on the part of the management.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote