AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-07-07, 02:00   Link #201
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Oh, full BD list is out a bit early. Will update the list later on today, but nothing too big. Madoka v1 and v2 ranked again, Aria add 537 BDs, SD added 502 BDs, Nichijou added 462 BDs, and hilariously, T&B standard addition ranked again and added 500 copies. Nice, Bandai. I really feel like they just wanted people to buy the more expensive vol 2. Either that or they must have some serious printing problems over there right now. I would say it's a result of the controlled blackouts, but those should be over now and it doesn't make sense for it to only affect Bandai. Oh well.
Old 2011-07-10, 15:41   Link #202
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Manabi line =Break even point.

Usually around 3k to 4k, though it depends on the project. Low quality anime might have it lower, higher produced higher.

Edit: ninja'd
If someone actually bothers to look it up, the Manabi line is folk lore. It was created to troll fans of the show and other shows, about how poorly the show sold and other shows sell with respect to it, kinda like the frt. It has no actual meaning on profitability. It gained that meaning later on.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 16:02   Link #203
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well yes, I do know the history behind the Manabi line, but nowadays when someone refers to it it's closer to the context of being the break even point for a show. I didn't think there was much need to go through the entire history of it.

frt on the other hand is something like Smoot except less light hearted. It's nothing more than another joke mocking Fractale/Yamakan on the shows measurement of success (883 units = saving anime) and it doesn't actually have a meaning.
Old 2011-07-13, 03:20   Link #204
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Just curious, but does the cost of buying a TV slot to broadcast factor significantly into the budget or is it minor? Or is it one of those things where production committee members have a parent company or a stake in certain broadcasters and are just funneling--- I would assume that otherwise they are competing with bids from infomercial firms for those time slots?

I'm wondering what advantage the TV broadcast at rather inconvenient timeslots might have over a solely net based distribution. Is it about distribution or access to the TV broadcaster's audience? Because I'd assume that in today's information society many otaku have a good idea of what to expect in the anime they are planning to watch without needing to stumble upon them while channel surfing at 2 or 3 in the morning. Rather, what is the advantage to paying for a slot when you can air it via net distro ala youtube partner or whatever the setup is at nico or other video sites?

It seems like a reasonable cost to cut if a cutoff for profitability is some tens of millions of yen range, and especially if a series is only meant to promote something and not to sell.

If this is too off topic, I'll make a separate thread.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 03:39   Link #205
cyth
Banned

Well, first of all, it is a significant cost, but it's not like you describe it as. The broadcasters simply take their share because they usually sponsor these anime projects and are on the production committees. The thing is, TV broadcasters have an intricate relationship with advertising agencies and also music labels (music licencing also takes a disproportionately huge chunk out of the production's budget). Without those ad agencies, they can't promote anime or products elsewhere, like in magazines, newspapers, even on the internet, and so on.

I agree with you that anime would benefit greatly from pure internet/mobile distribution, but the situation isn't all that simple. It's true that such distribution would probably be viable at this point in time, but in Japan you can't simply break a power structure like ad agencies-broadcasters-music companies because they operate symbiotically and shut out everyone who don't play by their rules. They also have ties to organized crime syndicates who have a stake in these businesses. Perhaps even Dwango has some ties to it. In any case, it's a scary situation for some, I imagine. So TV broadcasts will continue to dominate because that's just how the power structure is set up.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 05:12   Link #206
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

That sounds horrible. No wonder sales are so important for studios if a project is being bled to so many vested interests.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 23:14   Link #207
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Just curious, but does the cost of buying a TV slot to broadcast factor significantly into the budget or is it minor? Or is it one of those things where production committee members have a parent company or a stake in certain broadcasters and are just funneling--- I would assume that otherwise they are competing with bids from infomercial firms for those time slots?
It really depends on who is on the production committee and such. It's at least the same cost as an additional episode per 12/13 episodes. (Sorry, the writeup of that is really confusing, here (1) (2) (3) are the original links the presentation was based on. The rest of the documents can be found online.)

Quote:
I'm wondering what advantage the TV broadcast at rather inconvenient timeslots might have over a solely net based distribution. Is it about distribution or access to the TV broadcaster's audience?
The advantage is that broadcasters provide more funds into the committee pool. Even productions which do not have a broadcaster attached have someone who has an interest in the TV eyeballs as the commercial slots are still commercials, even if they are passed around among committee members.

There is also the issue of sales with net streaming. Most shows that are net only have done terribly sales wise and while there is some evidence that shows do "better" after being streamed, it may not be more than "Five thousand additional people are watching it and thus you got a 50 sale bump." In other words, there is little to actually say "streaming produces sales." There is also probably an older otaku with money demographic that only watches a DVR.

Last edited by bayoab; 2011-07-13 at 23:25.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 23:15   Link #208
Westlo
Lets be reality

Hmm taking a glance @ Amazon rankings....

Hit

Mawaru PenguinDrum (Would be #1 if Unicorn #4 and MF Movie 2 weren't listed)
iDOLM@STER (So much for that poll... and it would probably be above PenguinDrum if the PS3 game bundle didn't exist)
Bunny Drop - It's excellent value and the show is great.
Natsume S3 - Just like s1 and s2...

Doing Well

Uta no Prince-sama - Has been in the top 40-80 for about a week now.
Mayoi Chiki - Ranking very nicely, been in the 70-90 range for a bit now.

Ninja Tits is doing decent, R-15 was really high up initially but crashed, Loli Basketball is also alright I guess.. Only real bomba I've seen is Sacred Seven. cbf looking for the rest @ the moment.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 02:35   Link #209
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Hmm taking a glance @ Amazon rankings....

Hit

Mawaru PenguinDrum (Would be #1 if Unicorn #4 and MF Movie 2 weren't listed)
iDOLM@STER (So much for that poll... and it would probably be above PenguinDrum if the PS3 game bundle didn't exist)
Bunny Drop - It's excellent value and the show is great.
Natsume S3 - Just like s1 and s2...

Doing Well

Uta no Prince-sama - Has been in the top 40-80 for about a week now.
Mayoi Chiki - Ranking very nicely, been in the 70-90 range for a bit now.

Ninja Tits is doing decent, R-15 was really high up initially but crashed, Loli Basketball is also alright I guess.. Only real bomba I've seen is Sacred Seven. cbf looking for the rest @ the moment.

What about BakaTest and KamiMemo?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 17:32   Link #210
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What about BakaTest and KamiMemo?
Baka Test is atm #303 and has 58 stalker points, KamiMemo is #445 and has 45 stalker points.

Amazon stalker points....

PenguinDrum - 642 stalker points (Recently listed, has dominated)
Natsume S3 - 457 stalker points
R-15 - 347 stalker points (Was very high before airing, probably due to hugging pillow extra included.. has crashed since)
Uta no Prince-sama BD - 251 stalker points
Uta no Prince-sama DVD - 150 stalker points
Ro-Kyu-Bu! - 131 stalker points
Manyuu Hikenchou - 110 stalker points
iDOLM@STER - 103 stalker points (Recently listed and you will not get a true indication since the PS3 game bundle is going to take a lot of sales from the hardcore)
Bunny Drop - 91 stalker points (Recent listing)
Sacred Seven - 64 stalker points
Baka Test 2 - 58 stalker points
Mayoi Chiki! - 49 stalker points (Recent listing)
KamiMemo -48 stalker points

Stuff like Natsume, Prince-sama and Sacred Seven were listed very early, other stuff like Penguin, idolmaster, Bunny Drop and Mayoi Chiki were recently added.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:20   Link #211
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Only real bomba I've seen is Sacred Seven.
And Blood-C.

I knew iM@S and Penguindrum would be the two top shows this season, just wasn't sure which one would beat the other. After being registered...I still can't tell. I can defiintely see both doing 50k+ though.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:25   Link #212
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
And Blood-C.

I knew iM@S and Penguindrum would be the two top shows this season, just wasn't sure which one would beat the other. After being registered...I still can't tell. I can defiintely see both doing 50k+ though.
Oh Blood-C is listed? lol I thought it wasn't so I didn't even bother looking for it.

*looks*

Ah #736 atm, no wonder I didn't see it... stalker points of 16.. yep bomba.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:31   Link #213
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Use the Top 100 and season highlights page on stalker, it's easy to see everything there.
Old 2011-08-09, 05:41   Link #214
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Probably REWRITE unless it's not suitable to be adapted into an anime, no idea since I haven't spoiled myself on it. What about Little Busters? I saw that Reckoner said Little Busters isn’t a realistic option at this moment, can anyone expand on that without spoiling?

A bit of a late reply, but I was still playing Rewrite when the question was posted :P. I finished and I can say that the heroine routes in Rewrite conflict with each other much much more than in Little Busters or any other Key game.
Spoiler for Rewrite:

Personally, I don't really see a problem with Little Busters. Unlike past Key games, they already bring all the characters together in the common route, so that part of the script shouldn't be a problem. I don't see much conflict in the heroine routes either, perhaps some romance will have to be sacrificed, but aside from one route, each heroine has problems that deal outside of romance.

The problem would be the true route, but they could just ignore the fact that you've been replaying the game to get through every heroine like in Clannad :P. Or have it reset once or twice. Would it be that preposterous to reset it? I'm sure they could make it believable with the content it has to make the viewer feel there's something "up".
Spoiler for Little Busters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
- Length. The story is quite a bit longer than Clannad(which took 48 episodes over 18 months). A comprehensive adaptation is a big expensive venture

- Little Busters is a game that to get through the whole story, heavily depends on repeated gameplay. This could mean going through a whole visual novel heroine route twice but from a different person's perspective, or going through a route twice because the first time you went through the route you got an unavoidable "bad ending". Long story short, adapting Little Busters into an anime without having it look like Endless Eight will be difficult. And due to the sheer length of the individual routes, its difficult to make it like Higurashi.
Not showing the bad ends, shouldn't be a problem, I don't think any previous VN adaptation has done that. They don't need to animate anything from EX and of course not the ero scenes. The extra routes are more like sequels similar to adding more stuff on to the original like Tomoyo After, so I don't really see getting rid of them as a problem. If we get rid of those routes, the length shouldn't be a problem. The original LB game is actually smaller than Clannad.

With Kud, Rin, Komari, Maeda and Key, I'm sure the sales would be good. And I don't think the story would get butchered. Clannad AS the Animation was a crazy bombshell bombshell moment that made little sense at the end anyway(Unless you played the VN). So they could probably just go linear all the way until the bombshell moment of Little Busters too. This would suck a little bit for the true route, but they could do justice to the common route and the heroine routes better than any past VN at least, I believe.

Rewrite VN would be nice too. Amagami SS reset everything after each route. They could do it with Little Busters and Rewrite too. Would any LB or Key fans not want to watch/buy the show because it rewinded every 4 episodes or so? I bet it would do good anyway. The problem here is if Kyoani views doing LB/Rewrite like they're animating the same old same old. Haruhi is a cash cow, but it really seems they're reluctant to get back to it. S2 took like 4-5 years? AS ended in 2008? Well maybe we have to wait till 2012/2013 for them to want to get the urge to make more Key anime :P.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 10:04   Link #215
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Amazon stalker points....

PenguinDrum - 642 stalker points (Recently listed, has dominated)
Natsume S3 - 457 stalker points
R-15 - 347 stalker points (Was very high before airing, probably due to hugging pillow extra included.. has crashed since)
Uta no Prince-sama BD - 251 stalker points
Uta no Prince-sama DVD - 150 stalker points
Ro-Kyu-Bu! - 131 stalker points
Manyuu Hikenchou - 110 stalker points
iDOLM@STER - 103 stalker points (Recently listed and you will not get a true indication since the PS3 game bundle is going to take a lot of sales from the hardcore)
Bunny Drop - 91 stalker points (Recent listing)
Sacred Seven - 64 stalker points
Baka Test 2 - 58 stalker points
Mayoi Chiki! - 49 stalker points (Recent listing)
KamiMemo -48 stalker points

Stuff like Natsume, Prince-sama and Sacred Seven were listed very early, other stuff like Penguin, idolmaster, Bunny Drop and Mayoi Chiki were recently added.
No Kamisama Dolls listed. Is all hope for a second season lost?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 09:05   Link #216
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:

I think you mean "most" of them; Idolm@ster fans have no reason to buy the BD, or the game, alone considering the extras they're getting with the bundle.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 05:37   Link #217
AHT

DVD & CD rankings for August 8th - 14th
DVD
*1, 4,756 *,*16,891 Hakuouki Sekkaroku
*2, 3,915 *,244,164 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*3, 1,984 1,089,823 My Neighbor Totoro
**, 1,232 *,**6,870 (K-ON!! Live Event ~ Come with Me!! ~)
*4, *,994 *,**8,499 One Piece 3D: Mugiwara Chase
*5, *,933 *,***,933 Redline Collector's Edition
*6, *,909 *,733,102 Castle in the Sky
*7, *,865 *,***,865 Katte ni Kaizou vol.2
*8, *,815 *,**4,804 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.3
*9, *,812 *,463,487 Kiki's Delivery Service
10, *,802 *,*26,760 One Piece Log Collection "God"
11, *,736 *,*10,967 Eiga Precure All Stars DX3: Mirai ni Todoke! Sekai wo Tsunagu Niji-iro no Hana Special Edition
12, *,625 *,*16,519 Gintama'
13, *,566 *,642,761 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
14, *,530 *,333,200 Princess Mononoke
15, *,502 *,***,502 Redline Standard Edition
16, *,494 *,**3,813 Nintama Rantarou Movie: Ninjutsu Gakuen Zenin Shutsudou! no Dan
17, *,480 2,362,464 Spirited Away

Blu-ray
*1, 2,851 *2,851 Katte ni Kaizou vol.2 Limited Edition
**, 2,489 34,294 (K-ON!! Live Event ~ Come with Me!! ~)
*2, 1,988 *1,988 Redline Collector's Edition
*3, *,846 **,846 Appleseed XIII vol.2
*4, *,668 54,621 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.4 Limited Edition
*5, *,644 **,644 Redline Standard Edition
*6, *,598 26,309 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai vol.2 Limited Edition

Single CD
*4, 26,446 26,446 The iDOLM@STER "Ready!!"
13, *9,520 60,331 Blood-C "Junketsu Paradox"
14, *8,997 *8,997 Mayo Chiki! "Be Starters!"
21, *6,896 81,521 One Piece "Fight Together"
22, *6,280 *6,280 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Character Song by Ren
27, *3,450 10,931 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Character Song by Masato
28, *3,289 *3,289 Mayo Chiki! "Kimi ni Gohoshi"
37, *2,939 38,399 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% "Maji Love 1000%"
38, *2,711 45,831 Pokemon Best Wishes! "Pokemon Ierukana? BW"
40, *2,579 20,203 Kokurikozaka Kara "Sayonara no Natsu ~Kokurikozaka Kara~"
45, *2,304 *2,304 Hakuouki Sekkaroku "Yume no Ukibune"
46, *2,286 *2,286 Natsume Yuujinchou San "Kimi no Kakera"
48, *2,216 *9,898 Sacred Seven "stone cold"
49, *2,143 *8,412 Nichijou "Hyadain no Jo Jo Yujo"
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 03:48   Link #218
Westlo
Lets be reality

Looking @ yaraon I see A-1 Pictures have another 10k+ hit on their hands, Uta no Prince-sama does over 20k for the first week.

BD
10 - ● うたの☆プリンスさまっ♪ マジLOVE1000% 1 8,110 8,110 11/9/21 K

DVD
1 - ● うたの☆プリンスさまっ♪ マジLOVE1000% 1 12,822 12,822 11/9/21 K

A-1 Pictures

35640 *3 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai ***
20932 *1 Uta no Prince-sama***
19297 *9 Ookiku Furikabutte
17695 *7 Working!!
17579 *3 Ao no Exorcist ***
13971 *9 Kuroshitsuji
10883 *7 Kannagi

Spoiler for rest of the A-1 series...:

That gives A-1 Pictures 7 series over the "hit" mark of 10k. Only 85.. make that 86 shows have broken 10k since the year 2000. The Top 5 studios for that are...

Breakdown by studio:
Sunrise - 12
Kyoto Animation - 10
JC Staff - 9
A1 Pictures - 7
Studio Deen - 6

A-1's first anime was launched in 06.... they also have the Working sequel and The Idolmaster as potential 10k+ shows.. though Idolmaster's situation is messed up with the PS3 game/anime bundle.... down the line they have a potential sequel for Kannagi, a remake of Ao no Exorcist which is bec.. no it is the next big thing in manga... and depending on how it ended hello UtaPrince season 2? Oh and whatever Aniplex decide to give them.

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-09-27 at 04:14.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:06   Link #219
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yeah it's crazy how fast A-1 is rising through the ranks- not only do they have the quality, but they also have the number advantage, producing multiple series each season.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 13:05   Link #220
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yeah it's crazy how fast A-1 is rising through the ranks- not only do they have the quality, but they also have the number advantage, producing multiple series each season.
I don't think it's entirely fair to compare A-1 Pictures with other studios though. Thanks to Aniplex, they have the immense connections (to animators and industry heavyweights. For projects, Aniplex is heavily involved with securing talent and building teams, even when working with independent studios), market know-how, and financial backing, so there's a huge advantage over other production houses.

The rise of A-1 is merely another sign of Aniplex's dominance in the market. For instance, they've also put out Oreimo and Madoka Magica over the past year. Before that, there was Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Angel Beats, and Durarara! In all cases, they created 20k+ sellers through studios that don't normally enjoy that level of success (i.e. the SHAFT titles have particularly visible differences in sales).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sales, statistics