AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > KonoMini

Notices

Old 2004-05-06, 18:33   Link #281
Freakman

Wow episode 6 was downright stupid, had gratuitous fanservice all over the place, and did not make the plot move any inch further.
Does it get any worse ? I really feel stupid when i watch Konomini. And the worst is that i'll still watch it all. I wonder how they manage to fund such projects o_O
This show keeps piling up cliches.
Best news being that the next episode is the classical "beach" episode. Expect more fanservice ><
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 19:00   Link #282
Aquillion

I'm afraid the previous poster has the right of it. Any way you look at it this show it's ridiculously clichéd. The characters, situations, lines, and episodes are all old hat; everything they're showing has been driven into the dirt thousands of times before. Worse, even the plot twists they're hinting at are tired and clichéd.

It's almost like they're going out of their way to be clichéd; but even when they're trying to make fun of other shows, it doesn't work. That's been done better dozens of times before, too.

Worst of all, it doesn't even do the clichés well. As fanservice shows go, this is pretty tame. In terms of romance, its characters aren't really that deep or interesting, and it hasn't really shown any romantic scenes. Its action scene (the one so far) is laughably trite. The humor is mostly recycled (though there have been one or two good laughts). The ominous symbolism on the horizon has itself seems tired and predictable, and the show's trite attempts to be "deep" are neither insightful nor interesting.

I mean, really. What's the point of this show? It seems to be nothing more than a loose collection of clichés.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 02:21   Link #283
User13971
Inactive Member

Follow-up to AkihaTohno

AkihaTohno said:

"Episode 4 - Kimi and Akari, I can let that one slide due to the nature of Kimi."

What scene are you referring to? I can place 2 scenes with fan-service at Ryou's house: 1) when Ryou is carrying Akari up the stairs and again we get a flash of her tush, and 2) when Kimi is cleaning Akari.

Neither is gratuitous, titillating, or otherwise suggestive.

Could you please elaborate?

NOTE: There is also one at Takeru's house, when she is being measured for clothes, and she stays that way [topless] for the remainder of the episode. But Kimi's interaction with her has nothing to do with fan-service, so I have disregarded it in terms of your statement.

------------------------------------
Kai no Gasara

Last edited by User13971; 2004-05-07 at 03:06.
User13971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 19:23   Link #284
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Hikari and Jennifer in the shower compared to Kimi washing Akari.
Kimi's scene isn't as nearly "sexual".
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 11:37   Link #285
.Rurouni.
Anime addict

Send a message via ICQ to .Rurouni. Send a message via MSN to .Rurouni.
anyone know where I can find some cool wallpapers for this anime?
.Rurouni. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 23:54   Link #286
FlyByNite

Episode 6 Fanservice Alert!
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 01:15   Link #287
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I'm looking forward to episode 7 because according to the episode 6 preview...
Spoiler:

The thing that annoys me the most about KMmUS is Jennifer. She's a stupid, drunk bitch who does absolutely nothing for the series. She's SO out of place with all those 14 year olds, seriously. She hasn't shown the least little proof that she's an expert scientist. I HATE HER HATE HER HATE HER!!!

:fingers: Die bitch die!!! :fingers:
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 01:57   Link #288
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I'm looking forward to episode 7 because according to the episode 6 preview...
Spoiler:

The thing that annoys me the most about KMmUS is Jennifer. She's a stupid, drunk bitch who does absolutely nothing for the series. She's SO out of place with all those 14 year olds, seriously. She hasn't shown the least little proof that she's an expert scientist. I HATE HER HATE HER HATE HER!!!

:fingers: Die bitch die!!! :fingers:
OMG, YES!

Since we're in the half-way point of the series, the plot SHOULD get moving.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 06:15   Link #289
weyoun6
Romanji is evil

Send a message via ICQ to weyoun6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
OMG, YES!

Since we're in the half-way point of the series, the plot SHOULD get moving.

Yah - I think this series could be good if you removed the fanservice, and actually moved the plot forward a little. This anime sure is moving slowly for 12 episodes, and we still have no inkling about what its about, it is getting quite frustrating to watch one pointless episode after another.
weyoun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 07:18   Link #290
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

yup, episode 6 is a bit too much in fan-service... And I still like Akari much more,
Spoiler:

I agree it's about time they start moving the main plot... it seems nowadays animes have a trend of spend half of the total episodes as introduction and random side quests...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 11:41   Link #291
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

Frankly speaking, is Gainax really sleeping too much to keep dragging the storyline and showing us stupid stuff ... ?

It is as if it is turning out to be one of those fanservice anime out there. If you want to talk about artwork and storyline, there are animes out there that can beat Konomini hands down.

Seriously wish they move on with the damn plot and stop beating about the damn bush.
Mistwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 12:17   Link #292
CorneredAngel

Send a message via AIM to CorneredAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwrath

Seriously wish they move on with the damn plot and stop beating about the damn bush.
But that's just the thing, though, they *are* screwing with what we expect of anime - and storytelling in general. If you don't like it, you're free not to watch, but ironically enough, look at how many people *are* watching, and commenting. So looks like they're succeding.

I think there are basically two reasons why the setup is taking so long. This way, *once* things happen, and we look back at these early moments, they'll be that much more poignant and meaningful. But perhaps more importantly, KonoMini is trying to be SF that "isn't"; that is, once something supernatural happens, it'll be nothing more than a trite fantasy, just another one of hundreds of SF tales out there. But for now, once we have just kids being themselves and interacting, it's actually *not* more of the same-old. Consider how there are only a couple of anime titles out there that deal with teenagers growing up without resorting to the supernatural, the SF, or the fantastic (the only ones I can readily think of are KareKano, Hana Yori Dango, Blue-Green Years, and End of Summer). By avoiding moving into the plot, KonoMini may not immediately be *better* than other anime, but it at least *aspires* to be better, and that's what matters.

Also, like I keep saying, in this episode, we finally have Hikari coming out and stating the main point of the series: "is it worth it to ever be happy knowing that you will inevitably be sad later?" The way to look at it is this: the "plot"/proof of concept is actually in the other Gainax titles - in Wings of Honneamise, Gunbuster, Eva, Mahoromatic - whereas KonoMini is the question that they all pose, and in a way, Hiroyuki Yamaga's answer to the question.
CorneredAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 12:31   Link #293
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneredAngel
But that's just the thing, though, they *are* screwing with what we expect of anime - and storytelling in general. If you don't like it, you're free not to watch, but ironically enough, look at how many people *are* watching, and commenting. So looks like they're succeding.
Sincerely, GAINAX is not screwing with what we expect of anime. There are loads other anime series that have half of their entire series spent on random introductory stuff. But then it's always like this, I mean, back to the days of Nadia or Eva, they also spend more than half of the series in random introductory stuff... but then those are long series, while Konomini is just a 12-episode series. So while in Nadia or Eva, we have more than 10 episodes for the real stuff, in Konomini we have less than six... Haibane Renmei took 6 episodes to get to the real stuff and it was already considered one of the slowest paced anime series out there...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 12:53   Link #294
CorneredAngel

Send a message via AIM to CorneredAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
but then those are long series, while Konomini is just a 12-episode series.
*right now*, KonoMini is just a twelve-episode series. I'm pretty confident they'll go into a sequel or second season.
CorneredAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 13:26   Link #295
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Question: How the HELL does Ryou-san sketch so freaking fast? When Takeru was describing his 'ideal' girl, and when he was sketching Akari with the fish he busted that out from nothing in like 4 seconds. That's even more mysterious than Hikari and Akari's origin if you ask me
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 14:41   Link #296
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Can't take much more.... UGH!!!! I need a plot damnit! this cutesy bullshit is killing me.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 16:23   Link #297
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

roots: yep...he sketched akari(ep 6) within 4 seconds.....hes the drawing master

thoughts of EPISODE 6

well then...ep 6 was like n e other again...a happy go lucky and MASSIVE FANSERVICE(even used some characters that i wouldnt want to be used in fanservice ) episode. As i thought the "form" will come back...well i was pretty damn wrong...just more hikari loves takeru things(which i like)...i would understand if they added more depth to the love love thing in this episode...cause this love love episode didnt really achieve much...they must add more stuff to the mix....oh well...seeing this series is already halfway done and nothing was really achieved...u can even say A PLOT is not present yet...but next ep a plot can start i guess...cause AT last that "form"(im not saying i like this form...acually i think i dont like it..i may hate this form and i may even not be happy its not comin out untill ep 7) is out...they ignored that form for like 5 episodes ,havent n e one noticed the form was NEVER MENTIONED...NOT EVEN ONCE...its like its a common thing to happen in that world or something .Next ep should add more and FASTER developing "love love" between hikari and takeru...akari and rhou's relation just feels like a brother to sister relationship....so "eh" to that.....and i guess some action...but damn..that demon form...I HATE HIS HEAD....IT LOOKS SO FUCKING WRONG....

my 2 cents on ep 6 and upcoming ep ^_^
I)ark-I)eath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 17:30   Link #298
LinChoiSin

what really saves the day for me is that in the preview something like "there were only monsters in the first episode so far" is said so we can assume that the plot will advance . Hikari destroyed the school in one episode so maybe will she destroy the town in episode 10 and the world in episode 12 who knows?
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 19:38   Link #299
weyoun6
Romanji is evil

Send a message via ICQ to weyoun6
Dear God I hope so, but then I had high hopes for all the previous episodes. Just planning to be disappointed.
weyoun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 21:24   Link #300
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
the foreign chick reminded me of Ritsuko from NGE too much