AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2008-10-18, 10:33   Link #1
SuigetsuKun
Circus Clown

[Manga] The Official Suigetsu Discussion thread

In chapter 346 on page 15, he first made his appearance. A young man, as cold and deep as Davy Jones's locker. His name is Hōzuki Suigetsu, student of Momochi Zabusa and brother of Mangetsu Hōzuki, who's been killed by Hoshikage Kisame, which makes him an avenger.

He's the first team member of Sasuke's squad. A nukenin born into Kirigakure, aka Village of the Hidden Blood Mist.

This thread is about this young extraordinary man, to discuss his aims, deeds, words, experiences and fortune.
And instead of trying to impose on your mind, you adjust yourself to your opponent like water pressing on an earthen wall. It flows through the slightest crack. Running water never grows stale. So you just have to 'keep on flowing'. Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=83552&dateline=122831  7993

Last edited by Hunter; 2008-10-23 at 13:07.
SuigetsuKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 13:32   Link #2
Ero-Senn1n

How could he be Zabuza's student when Zabuza became a criminal when he was about Suigetsu's age? Or didn't he leave the village at that age? We know that Madara is the mizukage, so it may be that killing others is not a crime there. Or maybe Suigetsu left with Zabuza and became a missing nin.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 13:49   Link #3
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Suigetsu was not Zabuza's student, they were both students training to receive the Demon Beheading Sword at the same time

But in the end, Zabuza got the sword

BTW Zabuza did not become a criminal age Suigetsu's age, he was just a ruthless ninja that was considered a "Demon", he became a criminal after he met Haku
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:28   Link #4
james0246

@Hunter, could we possibly turn this into a Poll thread, similar to the Sai character thread?

That being said, Suigetsu is just one of many villains that has what seems to be amazing powers (he was the only member of Team Hawk (besides Sasuke, of course) that was able to land a conclusive blow against the Hachibi (even if the Hachibi was pulling its punches)), but, for whatever reason, Kishimoto refuses to allow Suigetsu (as well as several other strong villains) to stand equal with Sasuke or other dominant antagonists.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:57   Link #5
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
About Suigetsu? Well, he's interesting.... He's after all the seven swordsman of the mist, right? Remember those guys? An old plotline that was left to dangle....
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:57   Link #6
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluckyboy View Post
Suigetsu was not Zabuza's student, they were both students training to receive the Demon Beheading Sword at the same time

Suigetsu is much younger than Zabuza, how could they compete when Suigetsu was only a baby or wasn't even born. Unless Suigetsu is 30 years old

Quote:
BTW Zabuza did not become a criminal age Suigetsu's age, he was just a ruthless ninja that was considered a "Demon", he became a criminal after he met Haku
Zabuza killed all of the genins, i think he overdid that quite a bit. A village needs new ninja, so the village should criminalize him. Unless Madara liked his performance
Anyway it was said somewhere in the Zabuza-arc that he tried to murder some feudal lord but he failed, that's when he became a hunted criminal unless he was already a missing ninja.
Old 2008-10-23, 15:01   Link #7
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
Suigetsu is much younger than Zabuza, how could they compete when Suigetsu was only a baby or wasn't even born. Unless Suigetsu is 30 years old
You can't say he isn't... The man is made of water! He could be older than Madara for all we know!!

Quote:
Zabuza killed all of the genins, i think he overdid that quite a bit. A village needs new ninja, so the village should criminalize him. Unless Madara liked his performance
Anyway it was said somewhere in the Zabuza-arc that he tried to murder some feudal lord but he failed, that's when he became a hunted criminal unless he was already a missing ninja.
Wasn't that the onbly way to get through the ninja academy in mist? I remember hearing that they had to kill each other.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 16:02   Link #8
cheese no koma
kita kita oyaji

Not much is on his portfolio at the moment, by that i mean fights. We'll get to see the true extend of his abilities soon, if he does get match up with one of the rookie 9. That being said, he is talented, being able to wield Zabuza's chopping knife at will and touted as his successor.

His special ability to turn into water at will is no doubt useful as most physical attacks wouldn't work on him, and like most kirigakure ninja, he can be tough if there is water source at the battlefield. Though even with that he's not completely invincible, a powerful lighting jutsu could easily obliterate him.
cheese no koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 19:18   Link #9
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

Quote:
Suigetsu is much younger than Zabuza, how could they compete when Suigetsu was only a baby or wasn't even born. Unless Suigetsu is 30 years old .
Zabuza was not necessarily training to be a Swordsman of the Mist at that time and even if he was, just look at how Itachi became a Chunin at the age of 10 so Suigetsu might have passed Zabuza if he was a child genius (Although this wasn't the case)

And the whole "Suigetsu being old as water" thing might actually be true, who knows cause they didn't really look into his past that much
( W)
Old 2008-10-24, 01:38   Link #10
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
I read that Suigetsu became like that from the experiments of Orochimaru. Before, he was just one student of Zabusa and had a brother. His name doesn't have to stand for his bodytype, it can just be typical for being born into the hidden mist, just as christians are called Michael or David.
Old 2008-10-24, 01:48   Link #11
SuigetsuKun
Circus Clown

Quote:
How could he be Zabuza's student when Zabuza became a criminal when he was about Suigetsu's age? Or didn't he leave the village at that age? We know that Madara is the mizukage, so it may be that killing others is not a crime there. Or maybe Suigetsu left with Zabuza and became a missing nin.
Why should he leave the village? Students killing each other off was a tradition, not a crime. Still, it's possible that Zabuza became his teacher after he left the Hidden Mist. Maybe they fought side by side against Kisame and retreated after Suigetsu's brother (and maybe others) got killed.
From the time Zabuza left the Mist, Haku must have been around, too.
This could have given them at least the possibility to escape Kisame (like freezing him inside an ice block or sth. like that).

Quote:

What a story... how can you just say this? This is proven nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
@Hunter, could we possibly turn this into a Poll thread, similar to the Sai character thread?

That being said, Suigetsu is just one of many villains that has what seems to be amazing powers (he was the only member of Team Hawk (besides Sasuke, of course) that was able to land a conclusive blow against the Hachibi (even if the Hachibi was pulling its punches)), but, for whatever reason, Kishimoto refuses to allow Suigetsu (as well as several other strong villains) to stand equal with Sasuke or other dominant antagonists.
Kishimoto doesn't refuse.
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse...
And instead of trying to impose on your mind, you adjust yourself to your opponent like water pressing on an earthen wall. It flows through the slightest crack. Running water never grows stale. So you just have to 'keep on flowing'. Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=83552&dateline=122831  7993
Old 2008-10-24, 05:57   Link #12
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuigetsuKun View Post
Why should he leave the village? Students killing each other off was a tradition, not a crime.
Killing your opponents can be a law, but he killed *everybody*. How long would a village exist if every year only one ninja survived? The power of a village relies not only in quality of the ninja but also in quantity. When the Zabuza-Haku story was told by Kakashi it was clear that Zabuza did something unprecedented, otherwise Kakashi would never talk about someone who just performs the same task that everyone else did in the mist village. It wouldn't be a story if it was natural. So my assumption is that Zabuza acted on his own, against the orders of the village, which means he became a criminal and had to escape from the village.
But now that we discover Madara's past and that he is mizukage i think maybe he was not regarded as criminal and could continue as the village's ninja.
Old 2008-10-25, 05:45   Link #13
SuigetsuKun
Circus Clown

Quote:
Killing your opponents can be a law, but he killed *everybody*. How long would a village exist if every year only one ninja survived? The power of a village relies not only in quality of the ninja but also in quantity. When the Zabuza-Haku story was told by Kakashi it was clear that Zabuza did something unprecedented, otherwise Kakashi would never talk about someone who just performs the same task that everyone else did in the mist village. It wouldn't be a story if it was natural. So my assumption is that Zabuza acted on his own, against the orders of the village, which means he became a criminal and had to escape from the village.
But now that we discover Madara's past and that he is mizukage i think maybe he was not regarded as criminal and could continue as the village's ninja.
You tend to forget. He tried to assassinate the Mizukage - and failed. Thus he's become a refugee
Old 2008-10-25, 07:55   Link #14
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuigetsuKun View Post
You tend to forget. He tried to assassinate the Mizukage - and failed. Thus he's become a refugee
Refugee? lol He became S-class criminal. The question was when has Zabuza become a criminal, either when killing every genin or when he tried to kill a feudal lord or the mizukage.
Old 2008-10-25, 11:26   Link #15
Josh Uzumaki

i thought this was a suigetsu topic?
but its funny how in retrospect how crap zabuza actually was
Josh Uzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 14:36   Link #16
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Suigetsu is basically Naruto's answer to Roronoa Zoro from One Piece:
-both had a rival/friend that was vying for the same/similar goal
-said rival/friend died untimely
-both now seek to become the greatest swordsman(Note at bottom)
-very similar personalities and interaction between character types(Nami & Karin respectively)

Note: Suigetsu seeks to "collect all the swords" of the seven swordsman. I doubt those still living or any who may have picked up their blades are willing to relinquish them so easily, so Suigetsu will have to become "the best swordsman" if he wishes to retrieve them.

That done, I wonder how Kishi would handle Suigetsu collecting Raiga's swords. He did say he was a member of the Seven though he was only featured in the filler arcs. It'll be interesting to see how that unfolds, but hopefully Kishi won't just go and say Suigetsu randomly finds them and gets yet another freebie. Maybe someone's picked up said blades and now wields them as an accomplished swordsman themself?

Last edited by BlackNhite; 2008-10-27 at 14:51.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 08:20   Link #17
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac

To tell you the truth, there are lots of times when a character or something else that was originally part of a filler arc and the writer liked it so much that they put it into the actual series

Spoiler for Ex: DBZ:
( W)
Old 2008-10-28, 10:36   Link #18
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
To tell you the truth, there are lots of times when a character or something else that was originally part of a filler arc and the writer liked it so much that they put it into the actual series

Spoiler for Ex: DBZ:
I didn't think Bardock's movie was that old, I'd thought it came out long after the manga was past that point.
I have a pathetic sense of time it seems...
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-28, 13:25   Link #19
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Uzumaki View Post
i thought this was a suigetsu topic?
It is, but we try to get an idea of Suigetsu's childhood and background by analyzing his village. We know about Zabuza, Kisame and Madara, and they are all ruthless ninja. And that means that Suigetsu was raised in a heartless and quite demanding place, most likely the opposite of the "will of fire" of Konoha. And that means that the current Suigetsu is not an "evil" person by nature, he may join the good guys (Naruto and co.) at a later time because he is still young enough to change his ideas about the world. And all that possibility for his character means that he will probably not die in action, which is a good thing for those fans who like him. Well this is all just my assumption
Old 2008-10-29, 02:35   Link #20
SuigetsuKun
Circus Clown

Quote:
It is, but we try to get an idea of Suigetsu's childhood and background by analyzing his village. We know about Zabuza, Kisame and Madara, and they are all ruthless ninja. And that means that Suigetsu was raised in a heartless and quite demanding place, most likely the opposite of the "will of fire" of Konoha. And that means that the current Suigetsu is not an "evil" person by nature, he may join the good guys (Naruto and co.) at a later time because he is still young enough to change his ideas about the world. And all that possibility for his character means that he will probably not die in action, which is a good thing for those fans who like him. Well this is all just my assumption
Words of wisdom.
I think he would be the best replacement for Asuma, Konoha can get. Suigetsu is not only a brilliant swordsman who can easily wield swords, he's so much more and he definitely is one of the most promising young ninjas. But if Madara is the Mizukage, sooner or later, he has to be replaced... and who could rule the Hidden Mist better than someone made of water?