Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-21, 10:51   Link #1
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

changing IP address

i am noob at IT stuff

I have a desktop and a laptop. Desktop[far from my router] is linked to router, for laptop its been link to router too but i can direct link to modem using ethernet cable.

so I decided to use my laptop to do it,here are the some of the things i need to know.

using laptop direct link to modem using ethernet cable
1) if i change the IP address using ipconfig/renew ,does it affect my Desktop internet connection?

2) how do i change back to old IP address?

example:

Before: IP address X.X.X
After: IP address Y.Y.Y

since my current IP address is Y.Y.Y,how can i change back to X.X.X and vice versa??

help appreciated thanks.
Old 2012-01-21, 14:48   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
I have a desktop and a laptop. Desktop[far from my router] is linked to router, for laptop its been link to router too but i can direct link to modem using ethernet cable.
This sounds like a bad idea to me. First, you don't want to connect your computer directly to the Internet unless you have a good firewall in place that you understand and trust. Plus, as you fear, you'll no longer be able to connect from the desktop machine.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the laptop to the router via wifi?

What's wrong with the setup you have now? What specific problems are you trying to resolve? Maybe we can help you better if we know what you are trying to accomplish.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 14:51   Link #3
spikexp

You can't chose the ip of your modem, it's assign by the dhcp of your isp.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 19:52   Link #4
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This sounds like a bad idea to me. First, you don't want to connect your computer directly to the Internet unless you have a good firewall in place that you understand and trust. Plus, as you fear, you'll no longer be able to connect from the desktop machine.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the laptop to the router via wifi?

What's wrong with the setup you have now? What specific problems are you trying to resolve? Maybe we can help you better if we know what you are trying to accomplish.
well my bro wants to use the laptop and hes just next to the modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
You can't chose the ip of your modem, it's assign by the dhcp of your isp.
I dont quite understand this part,mind explaining??
Old 2012-01-21, 20:07   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
well my bro wants to use the laptop and hes just next to the modem.
What I'm curious about (and what I think everyone else has been getting at) is, what advantage do you hope to gain by connecting the laptop directly to the modem, instead of connecting it through the router? I'm assuming that both the router and the laptop have wireless capabilities.

Quote:
I dont quite understand this part,mind explaining??
What he's trying to say is that you don't have any control over your IP, your internet service provider chooses it for you. In other words, when you connect your computer to your modem, it should automatically take an IP address that your ISP chose for you.

For that matter, your computer should automatically take an IP address from your router, as well. I'm not exactly sure why you're manually setting IPs for the computers.

Some routers give you more control over IPs, and you can designate a specific IP address for specific computers. If you do that, the computer will automatically take on the IP that you set when it connects to that router. But that control is set through the router; it doesn't need to be set through the computer.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that there's a difference between the IP that the computer takes from the router and the IP from the model. The IP from the modem is the IP that the internet sees. When your router is connected to the modem, it holds that IP. Any devices that connect to the router receive an IP from the router, but only the router and the computers on the router see those IPs; to the rest of the internet, the router and everything behind it is one device, and it is identified by the modem's IP.

The only case where that's not true (and where you really would need to manually set the IP per computer) is if you purchased a block of static IPs from your ISP. That's a very unusual thing to do as a standard consumer, though.
Old 2012-01-21, 20:10   Link #6
sa547
*Author

@TS: An ISP can use either static or dynamic addressing. Most ISPs use the latter, for reasons of ease of installation and to accommodate new customers, but you can request your ISP to set the IP address assigned to you to static in order to prevent your connection from being cut off or if you're running a public server. But since you're not doing that, read on.

Now reading the original post, I suppose that you're using a wireless setup. If your desktop is in another room far away from the router, and the router has wired sockets for the RJ45 plugs, I suggest getting a good length of pre-crimped CAT5 data cable (but before that, measure the distance between your desktop and the router, adding a few more meters for some slack), and you (or a hired technician) may have to punch in a few holes in the wall.

If you don't mind spending more and if you're not comfortable with manual wiring, you can buy a wireless LAN dongle (can be plugged into the USB port), and a repeater will extend the signal of your router into farther areas of the house.

And oh, unless you know your original IP address, don't try to change it; just leave it as it is since the router assigns addresses by DHCP.

EDIT: Reading further, you must be worried about having your bandwidth being eaten up. Are you and your brother downloading, playing online games, or watching streamed video?
Old 2012-01-21, 23:15   Link #7
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Quote:
EDIT: Reading further, you must be worried about having your bandwidth being eaten up. Are you and your brother downloading, playing online games, or watching streamed video?
yes my bro is playing games and do not want to be disturbed by the Router since the Router is kinda weak and sometimes got cut off for no reason
Old 2012-01-21, 23:42   Link #8
sa547
*Author

What's your router then? If so, how old is it?

I mean, the brand/type of router. Details are very helpful in deciding what we could do to help fix your network.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-01-22 at 00:10.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 00:08   Link #9
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

theres no much problem with my router actually,its just hiccups sometimes and my bro doesnt like it.Then he suggested this idea and i thought it might work.
Old 2012-01-22, 08:09   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
theres no much problem with my router actually,its just hiccups sometimes and my bro doesnt like it.Then he suggested this idea and i thought it might work.
If you experience wifi cutouts from time to time, you can plug the Ethernet port of the computer into one of the ports on the router. Just buy a length of so-called "CAT-5" or "CAT-6" cable from a computer or office supply store. That's a much safer way to accomplish what you want rather than connecting the computer directly to the Internet.

However the "hiccups" may be happening upstream from you depending on how fast your connection to the Internet is, and how reliable an ISP you have. In that case there's nothing you can do to fix this, other than changing to a different ISP.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote