AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-09, 16:34   Link #161
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, this series certainly brings back a lot of memories, but I can't imagine watching any more than key scenes, as it would be exhausting. I guess it would be fine til Chibusa-- then = ragequit.

The manga was better, IIRC... so maybe if they went by that it'd help.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-07-09, 16:44   Link #162
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Hmm, this series certainly brings back a lot of memories, but I can't imagine watching any more than key scenes, as it would be exhausting. I guess it would be fine til Chibusa-- then = ragequit.

The manga was better, IIRC... so maybe if they went by that it'd help.
That means only s1 of five seasons then? Or when Chibiusa was the female lead in s4?
Old 2012-07-09, 16:46   Link #163
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Spoiler for size:
I'll have to agree with others who claimed not to enjoy the newer notebook. I too find that the faces in particular are pretty oddly sized, especially Usagi.

Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty sure the old one is bad as well cause I've seen plenty of those and I know how shoddily made they were.
Old 2012-07-09, 16:49   Link #164
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
That means only s1 of five seasons then? Or when Chibiusa was the female lead in s4?
Lol, that sadly details my interest on the series.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-07-09, 16:49   Link #165
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I just want them to modernize the designs a little. That's all I want.
Old 2012-07-09, 17:07   Link #166
GDB

Quote:
I do prefer classic Slayers to the new series, that's for sure.
That's because the new Slayers tried to fit in material from skipped books without following what the books actually did (for good reason at a few points, since due to the shuffle they lost the continuity). That and completely ignoring Lina's character progression from Slayers Next (which the manga version took into account, and was infinitely better), but whatever.

If they had gone with the new characters and storyline that appeared in books 9+, it would've been awesome.
Old 2012-07-09, 17:14   Link #167
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Updates I think,...
Old 2012-07-09, 17:54   Link #168
sky black swordman

^ Thanks for the info link .
Some interesting things were said.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:01   Link #169
Athena
The Power of One

...nostalgia...memories...zomg.
Old 2012-07-09, 18:24   Link #170
Kirarakim

For those who want Mamoru to have a better role you should be glad Ikuhara doesn't want to work on this new series...I remember reading that he didn't like the character.

As for Okada being the head writer (PLEASE NO) I think she is just the first name to come up because

1) A lot of other writers are not that familiar to us
2) She has taken over a lot of adaptions lately. That being said I am not sure if she has written anything for Toei yet? Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:11   Link #171
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Kirarakim: Again, I'm expecting someone who actually has experience with these types of shows, so it's likely that Toei will just use someone from, say, the Precure teams.

That said, they might hire non-Toei industry veterans for the other staff slots. Like head screenwriter.
Old 2012-07-09, 19:46   Link #172
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Poor Tuxedo Mask... Taking so much heat on this thread.

I actually thought he was pretty cool.

Maybe this old YouTube video I found will improve Tuxedo Mask's image in the minds of some people.

Old 2012-07-09, 20:17   Link #173
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin
The second thing, the stuff that worked in the 90's like monster of the week and other tropes... don't expect them to be successful in this day and age. In this case, I think of Slayers- with the most recent series, I understand things once again went rather downhill, and that one of the central gags of the series (Lina's breast size) which worked back then no longer works in modern day... and yet that was still incorporated (on a completely different side note, I swear in quite a few scenes Lina doesn't look that small. Maybe it's because of lolis running rampant in anime.)
The problem with Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R is that they were rather bland and empty, not any reliance on 1990s tropes that were fresh then but cliche now (Which would only be a mild factor in judging the overall quality of a series, I think; I don't think the '90s were such a long time ago that they don't mesh well with 2012 sensibilities, a story that was good 20 years should still be good). As for me, I watched Sailor Moon for the first time in 2006 and loved every second of it, so it apparently worked in the mid-2000s too, not just the '90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
Well actually.....the original anime series really kinda butchers her character from the manga. In the manga, she has the "I'm scared-I don't wanna fight wah" attitude for about literally ONE volume. Then she really matures after that. I was a bit irked than the anime directors decided to make her that way for almost the ENTIRE 200 episodes, aside from really serious moments when she needed to be brave and do what needed done.
Hmm, if I remember right she actually shows fear very rarely in battles past the first 20-30 episodes of the original (To which I think it was nice that her development was slow and gradual, rather than her just showing fear the first time or two - it would take some time to get used to fighting demons and monsters, after all). She does remain immature and childish in her overall personality, though, and remains fairly stagnant outside of battle (With the exception of Stars, where she does come across as much more mellow and somber), wheras to my understanding she becomes very mature, elegant, and ladylike in the manga, the opposite of her beginning-of-manga self.

And haha, that old binder... The new one is much prettier, though I still kinda like the old one for its cheesy, campy early '90s charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing
Did you watch the English dub? As Kaioshin said, everyone had shittier personalities in the dub. DiC is about on the same level as 4Kids. But if you watched it in Japanese subtitled and still dislike even the best version of Chibiusa, then nevermind. >_>
Old 2012-07-09, 20:57   Link #174
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, the 'old binder''s art looks way better;.

NO, it doesn't!! You guys blind!? It's BAD!! It's sooooooo awful!!
Obviously Masahiro Ando who directed the art for THESE episodes is the one responsible.
BLARGH.
Ando-san! I FORBID you from art directing for the rest of your life!

Quote:
But if you watched it in Japanese subtitled and still dislike even the best version of Chibiusa, then nevermind. >_>
Yeah....I um still despise her in all forms in all languages. I hate pretty much everything about her.
Even her character design irritates me. THAT STUPID EFFING POOFY HAIR

Quote:
Poor Tuxedo Mask... Taking so much heat on this thread.
I don't hate the guy....but it's too hard to NOT make fun of him.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-07-09 at 21:34.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:01   Link #175
Dr. Casey

The old binder's artwork is the greatest and the aborted North American version of Sailor Moon would have been the best version of Sailor Moon ever. Real talk.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:26   Link #176
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
WTF is that 0_0

I loved Sailor Moon when I was younger and bought the VHS subs and no one at school understood what I was watching XD After that I could never go back to dubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^Tuxedo mask still looks idiot to me. No matter how many years it is and how they will improve it won't probably change it
LOL XD Well this won't help his image either (skip about middle)

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2012-07-09 at 21:37.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:43   Link #177
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually I'd really like for Tuxedo Mask to be useful instead of just being, y'know, dreamy.
Old 2012-07-09, 22:29   Link #178
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

best news ever
Old 2012-07-09, 22:31   Link #179
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
You ever watch the old She-Ra cartoon? Because that's the first thing this aborted NA version of Sailor Moon made me think of. Indeed, I'd be shocked if that NA version of Sailor Moon wasn't inspired by She-Ra.

Quote:
I don't hate the guy....but it's too hard to NOT make fun of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually I'd really like for Tuxedo Mask to be useful instead of just being, y'know, dreamy.

The issue with Tuxedo Mask is that, at least as far as I can remember, this is what he did in 75% of the episodes...

1) Sailor Moon fights the monster of the week (simply called "TMOW" from here on). Sailor Moon is on the ropes early. Sailor Moon looks to be in serious trouble until... a rose out of nowhere saves her! It's Tuxedo Mask!

2) Tuxedo Mask then voices some very campy lines.

3) Tuxedo Mask then tangles a bit with the TMOW (it's usually a stalemate) while simultaneously playing Coach/Motivational Speaker to Sailor Moon.

4) Sailor Moon then uses one of her "Wipe-Out" moves to defeat TMOW. Tuxedo Mask voices some short, complimentary, and/or mysterious lines to Sailor Moon before heading off.

This overall style would be fine if used just two or three times, but over time it made...

1) Sailor Moon look very emotionally weak, especially when combined with the whining/crying that other people already mentioned. She comes off as somebody who constantly needs to hear motivational speeches in order to get through a TMOW fight.

2) Tuxedo Mask look physically weak. He looks overly reliant on Sailor Moon to finish the job. I can't recall many TMOWs that were defeated by Tuxedo Mask himself.

These appearances (sadly) tend to drown out the times that Tuxedo Mask was genuinely very competent, and even borderline badass (some of those moments are seen in the YouTube video I embedded).

This is another reason why I hope there's not an overabundance of TMOW episodes. If not handled well, they can hurt the image of the characters.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:56   Link #180
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

About the only thing I'd like from Chibiusa is her protectors: The Asteroid Scouts, to appear in their "friendly" forms. (Ceres, Pallas, Juno, and Vesta)

I seem to recall Tuxedo Mask taking out one or two monsters during the series run without the others. It was uncommon, but every once in a while his Rose did considerable damage.

Though his usual pattern repeated often (when he was around and friendly) it was funny the few times his pattern was interrupted by the monster not caring in the least what he had to say or even about the Rose.

By Stars there were mini-bosses that basically ignored the Sailor Scout's intro-speeches and posing, which added humor since they would even try to call Sailor Moon on her rant and poses. While transforming was usually a free action, the speech and pose section was not always "free".

Tags
remake, shoujo