AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 22.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 44.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 20.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-23, 01:50   Link #101
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

XD lucky channel was actually good this time! that was a pleasant suprise.
and also @ kona's ringtone.
Old 2007-05-23, 05:54   Link #102
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Serious lols at the Marimite references and I thought the mobile phone stuff was a clever and humourous commentary on Tsukasa's character. Enjoyed the Strawberry Panic reference, even if it wasn't anything more than "zomg I recognize this song" and chuckled at a few other things. One of the funnier eps of the show. Still not prepared to say this is anything better than "above average" at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Lol, at least now I'm glad I actually stuck through MariMite (which is saying a lot from a person who can't stand shoujo-ai and shounen-ai). Getting those references before even reading what they are actually saying was golden.
*face-hand* Yeah, because brilliant characters and amazing story just don't redeem a show and make watching it worthwhile in the same way as a couple of cheap laughs in a generic referencing comedy does.
Old 2007-05-23, 06:56   Link #103
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What's great about this show is that even though I doubt there's anyone out there who laughs or get every little joke there's has to be at least one joke in every episode that makes them laugh.

For me it would have to be Kono-chan's email address and Tsu-chans WTF moments.
Old 2007-05-23, 08:08   Link #104
GriS

being an anti shoujo-ai, i don't know if im actually enjoying

i like how LC pokes fun at those who complain of akira's repetitive introductions... shiraishi's imitation FTW

generally, the first part is all yuri show and second part is all handphone talks...
Old 2007-05-23, 08:32   Link #105
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Nice episode. I thought konata's dad calling konata was pretty funny. And konata acting all high class. And konata's depiction of the kagami. Ah hell ill never finish if i talk about eveyrhting that was funny in the ep. :/ I guess i just love these comedy anime(s) XD
Old 2007-05-23, 09:21   Link #106
archanfels

There's not enough Kagami, and no that's not a saying, I mean it. >.> (Okay I'm a sucker for Tsundere/Tsukkomi girls)

Miyuki gets a bit more attention and she deserves it. She's my least favorite at the moment but still if the show is about the four of them she should get more coverage.

Tsukasa on the other hand is getting just a little overdone imo, I for one am not buying this new director and his "trying so hard screaming MOE at your face with Tsukasa" attempts. I just don't enjoy characters who acts moe just to be moe in general I guess.

Konata = Good as always, nothing to complain here, her interaction with Kagami matchs that of classic Manzai and they always crack me up.

Finally, I love the LC, all of them so far, don't see what people are complaining here. The awkward silence at the beginning is the only thing that had me lol in real life and I actually wished it was a little longer.

Overall I'm liking the show more and more and I think I'm gonna look up the original manga.
Old 2007-05-23, 09:33   Link #107
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Other question: Konata's got a computer and an internet connection. Can't she download the anime she missed?
Old 2007-05-23, 09:48   Link #108
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
maybe she's on dialup.

man, it's a shame akira doesn't show up anywhere else besides lucky channel, she's got one heck of a split personality.
Old 2007-05-23, 09:50   Link #109
archanfels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Other question: Konata's got a computer and an internet connection. Can't she download the anime she missed?
Because the anime studio and TV broadcasting company want to promote and encourage people download their show from teh interwebz for free instead of watching them on TV or buy the DVD amiright?
Old 2007-05-23, 10:10   Link #110
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 7 watched, third time running with the [a.f.k.] sub. I could almost get used to this, but I wonder how many references that would otherwise have been covered with a footnote I have missed with [a.f.k.]....

1) Aaya-chan is talented, period. I want to hear her do an oujo-sama role for real next time.

2) Poor Kagamin, out of all the four girls, she's the one who could really use a man in her life...

3) Konata: "In games, when a character who wears glasses show up at school without them, they suddenly become popular..."

Made me think Ichigo 100% immediately. Yeah yeah, even I used to be a pimply-faced adolescent with raging hormones for whom fanservice was once one of the more important criteria.
Like most of you aren't.

4) Konata: "They say that when you diet, you lose weight in the places you don't want to first."

That's why men typically don't really mind how much their girlfriends weigh, I guess. I know for sure I don't; I prefer something that's more "huggable".

5) 09:22-09:30,

That's the difference between the E.T. eyes of Toei's Kanon 2k2, and the more proportionate eye-to-face ratio of KyoAni's Kanon 2k6 right there!

6) 10:45-10:49,

Tsukasa: "And the person who brings up the idea usually gets put in charge, so nobody's willing to talk."

Amen. I don't think I would have survived 12 years of schooling otherwise.

7) For some reason, I feel so moe about Kagami's apparent lack of skill at housework. I'll even eat her "frugally made" bento happily. Is something wrong with me?

8) 12:26-12:31

Konata: "So you're the type of person who can blow up pots when they cook?"
Kagami: "Nobody in the world can do that."

Maybe not, but Ayu comes close....ah. I think I've found the answer to my previous point.

9) Kagami: "So I can breath fire."

First time Lucky Star made me laugh out loud. Score for the win!!!

10) Lucky Channel.....meh, so they changed it up a little. But the end result is that it's like looking into a mirror; Akira-sama was doing almost the exact same pose as I was doing throughout that sequence.

So.....not a bad episode, by any accounts. In fact, I find that I'm actually deriving more fun out of the "universal comedy" than the "otaku references" in Lucky Star, and it's not like there's a relative lack of either, so I'm fairly happy with that. I'll throw this one a 9, I guess.
Old 2007-05-23, 10:27   Link #111
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

I loved how the episode started, when konata turned around with half opened, mature looking eyes o.O And hell, aya did a good job voicing that part.

You cant play much MMORPGS on dialup o.O
Old 2007-05-23, 10:33   Link #112
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@archanfels
Yay! Another Lucky Channel fan. Very few of us here, unlike say, the MT forums. XD

@ascaloth
3) Yeah, Ichigo 100% was that way, though to be fair I've read many older manga that had that same concept before. Which is a shame really, since I'm a meganekko fan (not so much in anime, but especially in RL).

4) I dunno about most men (more of my male friends like slender women), but I personally don't care much. Most of the females I ever was attracted to were on the plump side.

7) You remind of the dad of the hero in Natsuiro no Sunadokei, who'll gladly eat what his wife cooks everyday. And yes, they're not very tasty to say the least. 'Must be the power of love' LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
*face-hand* Yeah, because brilliant characters and amazing story just don't redeem a show and make watching it worthwhile in the same way as a couple of cheap laughs in a generic referencing comedy does.
Brilliant characters? From my experience with yuri stories (I have read all of lililicious's scanslations up to the point where shoujo-ai doesn't interest me anymore), MariMite seemed like full of stock characters to me. At the very least, not one of them interested me very much.

Amazing story? It's basically a slice-of-life story, in other words, a character driven show. And when one is not attached to the characters... <_<

Not everyone thinks the same of the certain show. I'm pretty sure you have run across people apart from me who just didn't get MariMite or Sumomomomo, right?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2007-05-23 at 11:01.
Old 2007-05-23, 11:14   Link #113
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
archanfel has said it in sarcastic tone... anyway think logically. Which producer is willing to 'promote' downloading anime from third party website or through third party software? as of today i have never heard of official website providing full access to every individual episode of a series
Old 2007-05-23, 12:06   Link #114
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanfels View Post
Tsukasa on the other hand is getting just a little overdone imo, I for one am not buying this new director and his "trying so hard screaming MOE at your face with Tsukasa" attempts. I just don't enjoy characters who acts moe just to be moe in general I guess.
Nobody ever said they had the best writing staff. I find this is how they usually score points when either they don't want to develop a character or can't for whatever reason. This is the premier complaint about the studio and something I think they need to work on.
Old 2007-05-23, 12:49   Link #115
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
2) Poor Kagamin, out of all the four girls, she's the one who could really use a man in her life...
I think that Kagami would be the one most out of the girls who'd try to be as independent and self-sufficient as possible. We know how much she depends upon Kona and Tsukasa (and Miyuki when she needs an explanation) but she's not aware of it and seems convinced that she can handle herself. (She's so cute. ) I agree she needs someone to hug her but I don't think she'd ever realize (much less admit) that, IMO.

The one I think would never get a b/f is Kona... sure guys would want her, but it seems like she'd be too preoccupied with gaming and anime to care. XD

Quote:
That's why men typically don't really mind how much their girlfriends weigh, I guess. I know for sure I don't; I prefer something that's more "huggable".
Off topic, but that reminds me of the time I was with a group of people and they were complaining how they've gained weight since coming to college... One of them asked me how I was, and I admitted that I actually lost two pounds since coming. He kind of made a frowney face at me and said, "you know, if you get any thinner, when you turn sideways you'll disappear."
Old 2007-05-23, 12:52   Link #116
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm with Sorrow-K on Marimite. Great characters, great stories. But everybody gets to have their own opinion, as long as they actually watched some of the show. Note: ep4 of the new OVA series is out next Wednesday.

Konata's ojou-sama and Tsukasa's phone adventures were both overdone, but I'm not complaining. They were funny. I think the new director is less subtle, but smoother. The show works under both directors. It's a bit much to expect a moe show to go soft on the moe. Tsukasa is great.

As for pot explosions, that would be the osananajimi character in Yoake-mae yori Ruri-iro na Crescent Love, and maybe Matsuri in sola (which is an outstanding show, IMO).

Kaioshin continues to never let a single opportunty to bad-mouth KyoAni pass him by. We get the point: you neither like nor respect KyoAni. Fair enough. Next subject.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-23, 12:56   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just watched ep 7.... oddly enough, the thing that made me laugh the hardest was that cut scene of the cicada being sliced up by the ant expedition crew. Wonderful bit of deviancy from the usual cicada cut scene.

Tsukasa note: they aren't "making stuff up for her" .... that's all stuff that's in the manga. They are, for the most part, *doing* the manga (though they're re-arranging a lot of the ordering). There's actually a good bit more to her cellphone experience, poor child. Loved the animation of her frustration during the experience.

Kagami note: yes, I'd eat her bento, she needs a hug, her aggravation just makes me want to hug her more (even when she breathes fire). Oye.. and she's lousy at cooking and housework: tradition dictates that she's great at something else (the preceding is purely mythical)

Miyuki note: we get our first hint that Miyuki isn't completely one-dimensional (the ED).

Kona: quite the imp in this one ... points for a Kona-dad appearance, perhaps we'll get to see his hilarity in a few more episodes since we've seen the other families. They simply can't pass up the twin's visiting experiences where they find out more about Kona's family...
I thought her impressions from MariMite went on one scene too many.... but it was very funny. The ojou-sama character type is probably the one I hate most in anime, especially that damned laugh). But neither MariMite or Sumomomomo impressed me at all outside of a few segments (to tag in with DragoonKain3)... the word "generic" is too easily applied if it doesn't include those, eh?

Lucky*Channel: The only thing I can say is that Akira's expression matched my own for most of it (the animation was quite expressive for her). I never even cracked a smile. They really *should* cut to film of the actual actors doing the sketch to add some life back into this segment. Fortunately, I've decided to ignore it for purposes of rating the series.

Other random notes:
Sounds like Kona lives in an "technologically underserved" neighborhood. I empathize with that. (no cable, no broadband).
And yes, you CAN play MMOs on dialup. I've done it for years. You just can't necessarily play the ones with lousy network coding (*cough* Shadowbane *cough* some of the intermediate versions of EQ *cough*).
I've run 3 sessions of DAOC over one dialup with no issues.

@Risaa: ignore him.... most people don't realize how *fat* the average Joe and Jane Public have become in the last 10 years. I weigh 220 (@6'1") and really ought to lose 20 pounds but I walk down a mall or college campus and I feel so thin . My wife weighs 95 (@4'11"), if she gains 5 pounds she feels like a pig.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-23 at 13:16.
Old 2007-05-23, 13:20   Link #118
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sounds like Kona lives in an "technologically underserved" neighborhood. I empathize with that. (no cable, no broadband).
...Oh, MG... that sounds *terrible* to me (I'm a weak person ). When you mentioned being bandwidth challenged in some thread long long ago, I suddenly felt bad about my whining about my limit here at school - I'm allowed to transfer up to 15GB in a week. Thank you for making me appreciate what I have... even though it's at your expense.

Quote:
@Risaa: ignore him.... most people don't realize how *fat* the average Joe and Jane Public have become in the last 10 years. I weigh 220 (@6'1") and really ought to lose 20 pounds but I walk down a mall or college campus and I feel so thin . My wife weighs 95 (@4'11"), if she gains 5 pounds she feels like a pig.
If she feels like a pig at 100 pounds, then me, at my 105~110 must be a cow... j/k. (OK, I admit I felt a little bad when I figured I was "unhuggable". )

I hope no one takes this offensively. I was going to mention this before... perhaps many guys like heavier women because they seem to make up the bulk of women available? If you don't have much choice, take what you've got? At least in the U.S...

I recently saw a Korean news report on how overweight children are becoming a problem there due to the spread and popularity of fast food restaurants... then saw a chart that said only 3% of people there are overweight (compared to some very large percentage I've forgotten (*swt*) for the U.S.). I can't really empathize with the Korean viewpoint but I'm glad they're trying to do something about it now before it gets out of hand.
Old 2007-05-23, 13:22   Link #119
yura`

Personally I thought this episode is the funniest and most enjoyable so far - or maybe Lucky Star has just been getting progressively better as we get to know the girls more. Either way, I found myself actually laughing out loud at certain scenes, in contrast to just smiling at the jokes. Lucky Channel, for once, was funny for me, since I thought it had been rather repetitious and boring for the previous episodes. The silence at the start was brilliant and when I saw the pigtails, my first thought was, "What on earth is that??" Shiraishi's imitation of Akira-sama was simply too hilarious.

Btw, is it just me, or was that a brief reference to Ouran Host Club with that uniform Kagami donned when the twins imagined her as a "high-class ojousama"?
Old 2007-05-23, 13:24   Link #120
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Episode 7 thoughts, now that I watched the sub.

Quote:
I'm glad that's the consensus around here. It makes my already low self-esteem improve (I'm a bit plump myself if you ever see me IRL)

Quote:
Tsukasa: "And the person who brings up the idea usually gets put in charge, so nobody's willing to talk."
Diffusion of responsibility. I need to stop being lazy at times.

The best part about this episode was the Kagami-Konata interaction, again. Loved the part when Kagami reacted to Konata drawing a picture of her breathing fire. I really like how Konata can expose so much of Kagami. She brings out the adorable side of her.

More of Konata's otaku references, especially "iluvgirlswithglasses"and the obvious references to Marimite and Strawberry Panic. Let's just say that I am in love with Strawberry Panic after watching 8 episodes (NagisaxShizuma and HikaruxAmane love). Now, with that thought, I am wondering exactly what year this show takes place in the anime continuum.

ETA: Yeah, Strawberry Panic aired after Haruhi. Never mind.

Kona has bad penmanship? I relate to her in more ways than one. I've already gotten some comments already on how my penmanship is awful... Let's just say that I'm very glad I can type faster than I write.

People have been saying that there's more exposure of Miyuki to reveal a deeper facet of her character. I still don't get it. However, I can now clearly see Tsukasa in this show no longer as a "lol filler character". Starting with "balsamic vinegar" and confirming it with her gain/loss of the cell phone, I look forward to seeing more episodes including her. The little comparisions between Konata and Tsukasa by Miyuki and Kagami are pretty cute, too.

We need to see Kagami making more quips at Konata! I love it when Konata makes her annoyed face at Kagami.

Last edited by Konata-chan; 2007-05-23 at 14:27.
Closed Thread