AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-13, 10:23   Link #1
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Souske will get cancer?

I was re-reading vol.3 and this came to my mind...
Since lambda driver requires gamma brain waves to be activated, wouldn't the source of gamma waves, Souske, be hit by the waves and cause some of his cells to mutate and cause cancer? Or even worse, people around Souske get infected with cancer since he's a 'source'

As we all know, gamma wave is one of the biggest (and only in my zero biology knowledge)cause for cancer. Look at Gaulong--using lambda driver day and night and emitting gamma waves like there's no tomorrow--and he ended up with cancer.

Of course...if the author dares give Souske/Kanami/Tessa cancer he will have many fans to deal with...
Old 2006-09-13, 10:35   Link #2
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

...I think the word 'gamma' is a name given a certain range of brain waves with frequencies around 30-40 hertz. It's got nothing to do with radiations. Brain activity is made of electrical impulses through the neurons, not gamma radiations. I think it was explained in TSR and EoDbD that Amalgam soldiers needed drugs to make their brains produce high frequency waves - but it's not like they'll act as radioactive emitters.

Gamma brain waves =/= gamma radiation.

...Moreover I don't think Amalgam and MITHRIL would be foolish enough to build a gamma emitter inside the cockpit. Their pilots would have their lifespan shortened and their physical performances would greatly suffer from the radiations.

...But that said, it's possible that Sousuke might develop limps or health degradation later in life due to the wounds and ordeals he went through during his service life and youth. In BOMF he was shot in the abdomen and had, IIRC, part of his liver taken out, not to mention his incurring internal damage at a quite critical area. Although his body might be seasoned by years of fighting and hardened against most types of abuse a human body can suffer through a lifetime, it still remains that his muscles, strength and organs will tire down from all of that. Not to mention stress from lifethreatening missions and nervous pressure, etc. It's possible he already lost a few years off his life expectancy.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2006-09-13 at 11:36.
Old 2006-09-13, 12:17   Link #3
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Awww...I know getting zero in biology will not take me far enough to understand the concept of cancer...
Old 2006-09-13, 12:33   Link #4
Generalgm
Eager Young Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
...I think the word 'gamma' is a name given a certain range of brain waves with frequencies around 30-40 hertz. It's got nothing to do with radiations. Brain activity is made of electrical impulses through the neurons, not gamma radiations. I think it was explained in TSR and EoDbD that Amalgam soldiers needed drugs to make their brains produce high frequency waves - but it's not like they'll act as radioactive emitters.

Gamma brain waves =/= gamma radiation.

...Moreover I don't think Amalgam and MITHRIL would be foolish enough to build a gamma emitter inside the cockpit. Their pilots would have their lifespan shortened and their physical performances would greatly suffer from the radiations.

...But that said, it's possible that Sousuke might develop limps or health degradation later in life due to the wounds and ordeals he went through during his service life and youth. In BOMF he was shot in the abdomen and had, IIRC, part of his liver taken out, not to mention his incurring internal damage at a quite critical area. Although his body might be seasoned by years of fighting and hardened against most types of abuse a human body can suffer through a lifetime, it still remains that his muscles, strength and organs will tire down from all of that. Not to mention stress from lifethreatening missions and nervous pressure, etc. It's possible he already lost a few years off his life expectancy.

well it is an anime. Those rules may not apply lol
Old 2006-09-13, 15:07   Link #5
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I first thought gamma brain wave was a made-up term...and it does actually exist...scary...(well forgive me I suck at biology)
Old 2006-09-21, 16:46   Link #6
masterwok

iamandragon i dont think they r gamma rays but something lower that wont hurt them
Old 2007-02-01, 19:48   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Even if its Gamma Radiation which its not , Sagara if he gets cancer will not be this soon . The Physcist who dicovered Radium before the knowlege of radiation Marie Curie lived till ripe old age dieing due to radiation related illness . Techs at Rasdiology Department of Medicine are exposed to gamma radiation everyday despite protective lead clothing .
Old 2007-02-02, 16:38   Link #8
Hikano

Send a message via MSN to Hikano
I don't think cancer is contagious...

Or is it? o__o
Old 2007-02-02, 18:31   Link #9
Contempt
Counting Spoons

Send a message via MSN to Contempt
Cancer isn't contagious, or at least in the forms that have arisen... It's just a personal imbalance... Caused by too much of one thing...
i.e. Vitamin D can cause long term cell damage blah blah blah resulting in skin cancer.
One of the reasons that England has become a 'nanny' state of sorts (telling people what to eat, wear suntan lotion etc...)

That aside, I would think Sousuke would be in more immediate threat from Chidori...
Old 2007-02-03, 21:02   Link #10
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikano View Post
I don't think cancer is contagious...

Or is it? o__o
Naah its not eventhough its classified as a disease its just cell mutation at uncontolled rates or unessecary division of cells .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contempt View Post
That aside, I would think Sousuke would be in more immediate threat from Chidori...
I have to second that if Sagara is going to be seriously injured or die its more likely due to repeated head concussions received from Kana's fan . Yes Phear the Kana
Old 2007-02-04, 13:20   Link #11
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I have to second that if Sagara is going to be seriously injured or die its more likely due to repeated head concussions received from Kana's fan . Yes Phear the Kana
hahahhaahah. Yeah, I know. She hits him so many times. I chuckle every time I hear him say "y'know, that hurt...."
Old 2007-02-04, 13:45   Link #12
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I guess it could be possible. But they are not gonna kill off the main character with cancer..lol.

The best death would be a bomb, and he and Kana are both wounded. As the bombs detonate, they kiss. I like the all die endings..ha.
Old 2007-02-07, 19:40   Link #13
dpryciak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I guess it could be possible. But they are not gonna kill off the main character with cancer..lol.

The best death would be a bomb, and he and Kana are both wounded. As the bombs detonate, they kiss. I like the all die endings..ha.
sicko....

That isn't even nice... Something tragic, but a bomb? Ah, so overrrated
Old 2007-02-10, 18:42   Link #14
Contempt
Counting Spoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryciak View Post
sicko....

That isn't even nice... Something tragic, but a bomb? Ah, so overrrated
Besides, how would they deliver the bomb? A letter bomb in his shoebox?
Old 2007-02-10, 23:02   Link #15
dpryciak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contempt View Post
Besides, how would they deliver the bomb? A letter bomb in his shoebox?
Nah, that is what he's EXPECTING them to do....ah, poor shoe locker. But, he's suspected it enough, that, maybe...maybe they could <EEEG>>
Old 2007-02-11, 10:39   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Inn FUMOFU Sagara succesful detonated a ' supposed ' letter bomb which was a love letter from a junior . if its letter bombs our Gunso is very well preapared to handle them
Old 2007-02-12, 09:26   Link #17
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I'd say brain damage may be a probable cause. Chidori smacks him in the head enough, she might break something in there... We all know that fan's not the only thing she's used on him... She just uses that more often than other objects...

Other than that, he should be able to take a beating from conventional weaponry. To use some quoes from Sousuke, himself; "It's not a problem." "Everything is fine."

I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to buy a train ticket and climb up the stairs to his apartment while handcuffed to a folding chair in that first episode...
Old 2007-02-13, 17:36   Link #18
Contempt
Counting Spoons

The ticket is one I'm still trying to work out, but he could have taken the elevator up to their floor.... I seem to remember Kaname getting frustrated deciding on the stairs during that mad dash to retrieve her notebook... Then again, I could be mistaken...
Old 2007-02-14, 02:44   Link #19
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
You're right. There was an elevator. Now, the tricky part is purchasing the ticket, let alone getting through the gate to the train platform...
Old 2007-02-14, 21:33   Link #20
masterwok

i think they have passes bc of school so i think they just have to swipe it through to get to the train
Closed Thread