AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-06-17, 12:52   Link #161
Frontier

Lockdown actually talks! I'll give the movie points for that alone .

Though it's weird hearing him with an accent when I can't imagine anyone but Lance Henriksen voicing him .

Optimus' question "Who sent you!?" has me wondering if the forces the Bots' are contending with are actually Decepticons or potentially are really heralds of Unicron... and there's still the issue of how Galvatron factors into the movie .
Old 2014-06-18, 10:07   Link #162
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I fear the Little Boy in me has won over the logical adult:

Say what you will about the immaturity and idiocy of Bay's Films, the ONE thing even HE couldn't fuck up is how much Love, Warmth and Hope Optimus Prime radiates every second he is onscreen

The Utter Sincerity of Peter Cullen's performance REALLY helps to emphasize that this is a Kind, Decent, Unselfish, Brave and Heroic Man: Even if he is made of metal.

In short, stupidity of the rest of the film ADMITTED, I still want to be there to cheer for Optimus as he bravely charges against adversity to Protect The Innocent.

Just for him and nobody else: Because he was there for me when I was a little boy to give me hope and courage. And it will feel wrong to not be there for My Hero.

Sigh

End of stupid outpour of childish sentimentality.
Old 2014-06-22, 12:50   Link #163
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Warning: SPOILERS

Yahoo! film review #1
Yahoo! film review #2

Spoiler for demise of a certain Cybertronian:

...Some of us armchair experts already knew it was a bad idea to involve Chinese sponsors (and specifically shoot new exclusive scenes to court the Chinese audience) in the production, and boy were we right. From the looks of it Bay will have to edit his movie or risk it being suspended in China, the one big market Paramount wanted to milk out first and foremost. Ouch.
Old 2014-06-22, 18:55   Link #164
Frontier

Spoiler:
Old 2014-06-24, 13:02   Link #165
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Warning: SPOILERS

Yahoo! film review #1
Yahoo! film review #2

Spoiler for demise of a certain Cybertronian:

...Some of us armchair experts already knew it was a bad idea to involve Chinese sponsors (and specifically shoot new exclusive scenes to court the Chinese audience) in the production, and boy were we right. From the looks of it Bay will have to edit his movie or risk it being suspended in China, the one big market Paramount wanted to milk out first and foremost. Ouch.
Not sure why you would single out this out simply because it's Chinese. The fact is is that when movies get sponsors they do get a say one way or the other. It's not like the Pentagon has done similar things or pulled strings in the way movies depicted US marines, etc.

In any case as I suspected it's been dropped.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/25/bu...oofinance&_r=0

The thing is is that money talks. The movie is set to make a butt load of money in China and the Chinese government in no way is going to let them screw that up.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 22:49   Link #166
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

So, before I fork out the cash:

(Without telling me the plot) How strongly/heroically/positively are Asians depicted in this film?

Or are we once AGAIN silent shoe-carriers for feminist senators or Jerry Wangs dropped out windows for a cheap laugh?

With a CHUNK of the film being made with Asian-money, I doubt even Bay can do what he wants anymore!

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2014-06-24 at 22:59.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 09:02   Link #167
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
So, before I fork out the cash:

(Without telling me the plot) How strongly/heroically/positively are Asians depicted in this film?

Or are we once AGAIN silent shoe-carriers for feminist senators or Jerry Wangs dropped out windows for a cheap laugh?

With a CHUNK of the film being made with Asian-money, I doubt even Bay can do what he wants anymore!
I went to see it today, and like typical Transformers movies, it's better not to focus on the plot and just admire the visual effects.

Spoiler for Perspective from a Hong-Konger:
LoveYouSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 14:31   Link #168
ImperialKnight

Well movie is officially out so I'm guessing we don't need spoiler tags?

As Love already pointed out, you pretty much go into this movie expecting giant robots battling each other.

In comparison to the other 3 movies I think this one is the best out of them all.

1. There's a lot more focus on the Transformers this time around and they all have lines.

2. While some focus is on the humans it's not as heavy as the previous 3. Seriously during the battle of Chicago the humans decked out more damage than the Autobots and the Autobots weren't even in the fight that much either.

3. The focus on Tessa, Luke and Cade wasn't too much and they all played some role in the movie unlike some other characters in the previous ones. I mean in Dark of the Moon we had focused on Sam's relationships with his mom and dad giving love advice...

4. Optimus actually breaks his vow and kills humans...bad ass.

5. Lockdown I felt was one of the best villains in the franchise.

6. No dog sex scenes or lewd jokes.

7. More transformer action. The last stand by Hound was one of my favourites.

The Chinese scenes well it was expected because China was footing the bill but honestly it didn't feel that bad. As a Hong Kong guy I did cringe at some scenes but when you think about it in the previous 3 movies the American military was literally glorified. I mean half of the battles in the previous transformer movies like I said the US military was doing the major damage to the point it was GI Joe vs. Transformers.

Aside from Cade doing some damage on his own the Transformers were still the ones finishing the fight.

If getting Chinese support only involves product placement and a few Chinese officials saying defend Hong Kong with the major focus on the transformers I'm fine with that. I mean we saw some Chinese jets and that was it.

Dinobots were awesome but their entrance felt too short. Hopefully we'll see more of them in the future.

Though with optimus heading to space and Galvatron likely commandeering Lockdown's ship is Bay looking to shift to outer space now?
Old 2014-07-02, 14:33   Link #169
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post

If getting Chinese support only involves product placement and a few Chinese officials saying defend Hong Kong with the major focus on the transformers I'm fine with that. I mean we saw some Chinese jets and that was it.
I was a bit puzzled about the Chinese jets part and I wondered whether in Hong Kong we were seeing a different version, mainly because after the Chinese official said that they would be defending and supporting Hong Kong, I expected to see scenes of the People's Liberation Army in action, fighting the transformers in Hong Kong. However, all we got was some jets flying by after the battle had ended already, so I wonder if their action scenes were removed or whether they were non-existent to begin with.

Also didn't know what was the purpose of showing the Hong Kong police force at the end, as they just stared at a bunch of foreigners and some giant robots doing a good-bye event.

For product placement, I think the one that drew the most ridicule was where the guy went up to the roof in an old building in Hong Kong while escaping, conveniently found a fridge (why would a fridge be on a rooftop?), opened it and drank milk leisurely...

And on second thoughts about random Hong Kong dude knowing kung-fu, wonder if Michael Bay got the inspiration from being blackmailed while filming there.
LoveYouSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 20:08   Link #170
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
I was a bit puzzled about the Chinese jets part and I wondered whether in Hong Kong we were seeing a different version, mainly because after the Chinese official said that they would be defending and supporting Hong Kong, I expected to see scenes of the People's Liberation Army in action, fighting the transformers in Hong Kong. However, all we got was some jets flying by after the battle had ended already, so I wonder if their action scenes were removed or whether they were non-existent to begin with.
Nope. I saw the North American version and the most we saw of the military were just the jets which IMO is better.

In previous Transformers we get like a 5-10 minute Top Gun montage of US soldiers getting ready to sortie and be cool and all and destroy dozens of decepticons like they were nothing.