AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-13, 08:12   Link #1781
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just my take on the matter...

Male Haruhi = Phoenix Wright in appearance, drive for truth, investigative and deductive skill, intelligence, and posture; Monkey D. Luffy in camaraderie, passion, and signle-minded purpose; El Hazard villain Katsuhiko Jinnai in bossiness, competitiveness, ego, leadership style, mannerisms, and smiles. That's a fairly unique character, in my mind, especially as a protagonist.

Female Kyon = I agree with how she's portrayed in appearance on this thread. Personality would be very similiar to that of Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daoih, though with inner monologues comparable to Lain's from Serial Experiment Lain.

Female Koizumi = I completely agree with thread portrayal thus far.

Male Yuki Nagato = Kyouya from Ouran High Host Club

Male Mikuru = Mitsukuni "Hunny" from Ouran High Host Club

Male Asakura = I also completely agree with thread portrayal thus far.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2008-03-13 at 13:13.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 08:13   Link #1782
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I've been baffled by this as well, I mean why call Kyon.....kyon-ko?
That the best, ( or the easiest) solution to the broblem to find a feminine equivalent for a nickname than no one no really know the meaning .
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 08:33   Link #1783
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?

I'm almost starting to hate having to leave the house. Whenever I do, this thread gets seven more pages for me to read in a great hurry. Also, sleeping causes the same results. I suppose I live in a very bad time zone

It's pretty amazing how much I've been drawing since I evolved from a lurker to a poster in this thread. Usually I only draw twice a week at the highest, now I've been drawing every single day... Including now

Anyway, since I noticed some talk about the headband-headphone issue arising again, I have to take a little pause and ask; which will it be? I'm trying to make a pic good enough for posting in the Baka-Tsuki illustration thread, and Haruki is in it. The current sketch has him with headphones, but if that isn't how it'll turn out, then I really shouldn't draw it. I can't afford to make any flaws, since I really hope the pic will indeed turn out good enough.

Headband, headphones, I like both, so I'm no help here. But I'd like to know the common opinion before I actually draw or ink the picture.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Puffendahl; 2008-03-13 at 08:45.
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 08:45   Link #1784
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I just think that gender-swapping EVERY single character in the show ends up being a bit ridiculous and flies off the deep end The base concept for at least the main characters and a couple of the support characters works surprisingly well though IMHO.
It's what the thread decided. It's certainly possible to genderswap the main characters and maybe a couple of side characters, but that would engender another version of inter-character relationships.

Basically, the decision to genderswap everyone is just to make it consistent for the project. It may not be easier (see: computer club), but at least everyone's on the same page.

Quote:
I dunno Rockman, I could see it working. Remember that the essence of Kyon is that he always seems to sigh and go along with whatever crazy scheme Haruhi has in mind at the time. So I could definitely see Kyonko wearing some fanservicey outfit while sighing and thinking to herself "Why am I even doing this again? ....."

Kyonko derived from the "Essence of Kyon"(TM) in my mind wouldn't be super overly sensitive about something like that.
Kyon goes along with Haruhi's antics up until they actively physically harm others, upon which he swoops in. Possibly he has some vestiges of Knight In Shining Armour fantasies left, triggered mostly by Mikuru. Other than that, he really is surprisingly laid back about what Haruhi chooses to drag the rest of them into.

How this applies to Kyonko in the genderswap is something I'm still working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
's the odd thing about Itsuki. The problem is that his personality in-show is in any case more or less "Let Suzumiya do what she wants, and just keep the fox eyes and smile". To be perfectly honest, Itsuki's a fairly bland character in that respect. I can definitely see a near visual look with almost all the fanart, at least with the face - Oh, gods, the face - and the basic personality is still there. Although it's been overshadowed by LOL LESBIANS.
Itsuki does get a lot of his "camp" reputation from the fandom, mostly in how willingly he goes along with Haruhi's plans (which may involve dressing up), as well as how often he invades Kyon's personal space. In canon, he's been almost criminally underused.

I'm hoping that Itsuko will serve as an acceptable substitute. I've always identified best with Itsuki, among the SOS Brigade members, which may be one reason why I'm so enthused about the genderswap: Itsuko is Itsuki plus fanservice.

Quote:
I wonder though -- why was the name Haruki settled upon anyways? Haruhi is a gender-neutral name to begin with so using it would be fine, and I've never heard the name Haruki used before in any anime/manga or any credits or other Japanese names I've seen anywhere.
For the sanity of the writers.

Seriously, that's the only reason why I've been pushing for Different Names all this while. I don't care if the name ends up being something like "Suzumiya Blackfoot Duck", but as long as they're different from the canon, I can keep the pronouns relatively straight in my head.

As for Female Kyon, I call her "Kyon" in my writings (usually "Kyon-chan" where the canon would go "Kyon-kun"), but "Kyonko" in this thread, entirely because it appears to be the in-thread (and generally accepted in-fandom) way of referring to Female Kyon. I can call her "Ponytail-ko" if you want.

Anyone write Ranma 1/2 fanfic before? Remember the Ranma-chan/Ranko customary use (there's a more suitable word for this, but I'm blanking)? This is, I think, something like that.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 09:21   Link #1785
ronaldhw
Otaku

Just finished this

Spoiler:
ronaldhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 09:41   Link #1786
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Lots of pages tonight. Working on part 5.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 10:29   Link #1787
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just my take on the matter...

Male Haruhi = Phoenix Wright in appearance, drive for truth, investigative and deductive skill, intelligence, and posture; Monkey D. Luffy in camaraderie, passion, and signle-minded purpose; El Hazard villain Katsuhiko Jinnai in bossiness, competitiveness, ego, leadership style, mannerisms, and smiles. That's a fairly unique character, in my mind, especially as a protagonist.

Female Kyon = I agree with how she's portrayed in appearance on this thread. Personality would be very similiar to that of Koyomi "Yomi" Mizuhara from Azumanga Daoih, though with inner monologues comparable to Lain's from Serial Experiment Lain.

Female Koizumi = I completely agree with thread portrayal thus far.

Male Ryoko = Kyouya from Ouran High Host Club

Male Mikuru = Mitsukuni "Hunny" from Ouran High Host Club

Male Asakura = I also completely agree with thread portrayal thus far.
Want to revise the two bolded lines?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 10:48   Link #1788
shaoron
AQS representative

i was just gonna say he mentioned 2 ryokos
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 11:59   Link #1789
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

So did anyone decided on genderbend Sasaki and her 'friends' yet? This should be interesting as well.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:14   Link #1790
dreamoflife
SIDE

Send a message via AIM to dreamoflife
Hoo boy, that would really be getting ahead of ourselves. I think there's been some fanart posted, but that's it.
dreamoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:24   Link #1791
Valentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Kyon goes along with Haruhi's antics up until they actively physically harm others, upon which he swoops in. Possibly he has some vestiges of Knight In Shining Armour fantasies left, triggered mostly by Mikuru. Other than that, he really is surprisingly laid back about what Haruhi chooses to drag the rest of them into.

How this applies to Kyonko in the genderswap is something I'm still working out.
I had always assumed that Kyon was a little envious of Haruhi for still believing in aliens, espers, and time travellers, and that despite his frequent complaints and rationalisations of why they shouldn't do something, he really liked the idea of doing all this weird stuff just as much as she did - certainly despite clearly giving Yuki the impression he wanted to live in a normal world he didn't hesitate to change it back to the weird one he was used to in the fourth book. I think it's even this interest in unusual things showing in the way he talked to her that originally made Haruhi willing to talk to Kyon when she ignored everyone else.

So Kyon, basically, is interested in weird stuff, but being unwilling to do anything about it himself needs Haruhi to push him into it. Haruhi on the other hand, doesn't seem to understand when she's gone too far, which is when Kyon usually steps in to stop her. I think this dynamic actually translates fairly well to Kyonko and Haruki. Kyonko will follow along with anything Haruki is doing that she secretly wants to do, and will try to stop Haruki from doing anything that he really shouldn't be doing.
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:28   Link #1792
Kristen
*Author

"Dear Diary,

Why are men all such jerks? I've been working so hard on a storyline about this one young boy who had a crush on me a couple years ago, and I truly spent a long time working on it. I was proud of it. Then Haruki looked at it at the end of the meeting, and you know what he had to say of it? "First Rate" "Amateur" and "Needs major revisions". I ran straight home after that and cried for almost an hour. Nobody understands me, Diary! Not one person!

That student council president is really irritating me. She always looks like she is PMSing, and acts it too. But, what kind of a girl smokes at this age? That's just completely unattractive. There's no way she's going to get a guy with that attitude! Unless.. Don't tell me diary. Is she into girls? Did Itsuko promise her more than just entrance exam grades?

I still don't get that Emiri kid. Who is he? He's some kind of alien, I know that, but he just doesn't seem to be anything like Yuuki. He's talkative, active, and quite muscular in my eyes. If my heart wasn't already sold to Minoru, I think he'd be a suitable alternative. Then again, he's around that student council president a lot...

Well, Diary, I'm still upset right now about Haruki, but talking to you helped. Maybe painting my nails or something will help me calm down a bit...

Till tomorrow,
Kyon-ko"
Old 2008-03-13, 12:31   Link #1793
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Just looking through here... forehead moe? What?

I never said that Kyon-chan would be interested in the spike thing. I actually was planning on her not having the Kyon fetish thing, but that's just me.

That scene at the end there makes Haruki look too feminine. That portrayal makes him too much like a teenage girl.

(I was going to have HIM compliment Kyon-chan on her ponytail.)

As for the Emiri thing... I think it was supposed to be Emily?

So giving him an English name would work. Like "Elliott" becoming "Erriotto" or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Itsuki does get a lot of his "camp" reputation from the fandom, mostly in how willingly he goes along with Haruhi's plans (which may involve dressing up), as well as how often he invades Kyon's personal space. In canon, he's been almost criminally underused.
Itsuki needs to be used more in canon, agreed. He's a damned interesting character, sort of a tragic philosopher.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:34   Link #1794
Kristen
*Author

Interesting thought: This thread became the 3rd most popular unstickied Suzumiya thread in 11 days.

For Emiri, how about Emori? That's a male Japanese name, at least I think...
Old 2008-03-13, 12:45   Link #1795
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Holy shit...

Only 4000 more posts until we beat the image thread!

They have to take notice of us then...
Old 2008-03-13, 12:50   Link #1796
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Holy shit...

Only 4000 more posts until we beat the image thread!

They have to take notice of us then...
Well, at the rate we're going, it'll only take another 20 days to catch up. (And yes, it is exactly 20. I calculated it. )
Old 2008-03-13, 12:57   Link #1797
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Well, at the rate we're going, it'll only take another 20 days to catch up. (And yes, it is exactly 20. I calculated it. )
Holy freaking shit. This is getting out of hand... but I said that like 60 pages ago too...
Old 2008-03-13, 13:13   Link #1798
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Want to revise the two bolded lines?
Oops... the first Ryoko was suppossed to be Yuki Nagato,. Don't know what I was thinking about there...

I'll go edit the original post to be more clear.
Old 2008-03-13, 13:15   Link #1799
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Time for some images. Stolen from the SOS-dan imageboard.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 13:21   Link #1800
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just looking through here... forehead moe? What?

I never said that Kyon-chan would be interested in the spike thing. I actually was planning on her not having the Kyon fetish thing, but that's just me.

That scene at the end there makes Haruki look too feminine. That portrayal makes him too much like a teenage girl.

(I was going to have HIM compliment Kyon-chan on her ponytail.)
Agreed. It was an outstanding gender-bender re-do of the classic Kyon-Haruhi dream sequence leading up to the kiss scene, but I also think that you can't have Haruki simply mirror all of Haruhi's canon actions precisely.

To use another example, I'd personally have female Koizumi be the one to kick the female Computer Club President. It doesn't look so bad for a female to kick a female like that, and I can more easily see female Koizumi do that than Kyon-chan. It fits with Koizumi's character of wanting to do everything possible to ensure that Haruhi (in this case, Haruki) remains happy and pleased.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan