AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-04, 14:55   Link #1
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
ssh and port forwarding

Unfortunately the ports that IRC uses are blocked/limited at my campus. My goal is to use ssh with port forwarding and connect to my home computer to get around this.

Does anyone have experience with this kinda stuff. Which ssh software do you recomend?
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 14:59   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Red face

I would suggest: PuTTY. I use it to log into my box at home so I can manage BitTorrent downloads and IRC while at work ...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 15:59   Link #3
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
isn't PuTTY just a client? or can I use it to host as well?
Old 2004-04-04, 16:45   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

It is a client -- yes, I assumed you had the server daemon part already. I normally connect to a server running linux (the sshd comes as part of the distribution package). If you're looking to run it on Windows you might want to look here. Although... I should point out it is a configuration I've only tested a little. You might need to edit some of the files in the package to point to a different folder (i.e. C:\Windows\ rather than C:\WinNT). I have no idea how well it stands up to regular use.

Edit: Just checked the link again, might want to by-pass it and just go to freessh.org, as it would appear as though that version hasn't been kept up to date...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 02:54   Link #5
Nevion
/dev/random

cygwin might have what your looking for without moving to linux/etc... I don't think theres any ssh server software thats available for windows exactly but then again I didn't check freessh.org etc... way I see it though is you use a command line client like bitchx or irssi. Open 2 ssh's to your box at home. Then have one of them ssh back into your computer at the university/whatever with the -L flag followed by <port your forwarding>:<university box ip>:<new port your forwarding it as>. As for how you get the a file back out of the datastream your forwarding... well thats up to you cause I don't wanna experiment :P.
Anywho, through your other ssh thats opened to your box at home, open up your command line irc client and try to download.

Some inherent weaknesses in that plan:
1)you'll have to know the exact port to forward everytime... since this is a related connection to your irc programs connection, you could just forward anygiven port that the related connection has into your known port your forwarding. But another side note here, irc as well as ftp are not forward friendly since they have 2 ports they actualy use, the dcc port and the datastreaming port... I suppose you might beable to get around this by forwarding the dcc port too (infact, I wonder what would happen if you only forwarded the dcc port, perhaps all could be taken care of with just that and the irc client your using on your home box?)
2) everything is limited by your home connection's upload. its almost pointless to do all this instead of just downloading remotely and then downloading through other methods from your home computer.

so theres a few ideas for you, if I was you I'd check out the irc protocol specification or something and read up on dcc. If you get lucky you may only have to run 2 clients (1 on each comp)and forward that one very low bw usage dcc port to your university comp, forward that traffic(port) back to the normal port localy (so its back on the proper dcc port) then the client there will pick it up, the person sending is none the wiser and you'd beable to download at seemingly normal speeds.

hope I didn't scare you away too much :P, have fun.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 03:27   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

If you're running a Windows system at home, TightVNC is what you want. Gives you your graphical desktop. I use it to connect to my home Windows machine from work for BT and IRC.

www.tightvnc.org

EDIT: Oh, if you're trying to get the stuff from IRC (downloads) to your campus computer then you'll need some method to transfer it. Can you use BT on campus? Azureus allows for pretty easy file sharing. Or you can use FTP. I had an SSH server for windows but it was for native Windows, not Cygwin. Didn't find any command line utilties to use with it so I don't use it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 13:56   Link #7
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
I wouldn't trust cygwin for ssh use? ssh is supposed to be a protected telnet ( in simple ) and I'm not sure cygwin is really trustful for connection protection.
if you can install bittorrent or irc a uni then you just have to ssh on your home machine and launch it there you only need a slackware for yuor home machine, in order to connect to it.
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 15:44   Link #8
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
If you're running a Windows system at home, TightVNC is what you want. Gives you your graphical desktop. I use it to connect to my home Windows machine from work for BT and IRC.

www.tightvnc.org

EDIT: Oh, if you're trying to get the stuff from IRC (downloads) to your campus computer then you'll need some method to transfer it. Can you use BT on campus? Azureus allows for pretty easy file sharing. Or you can use FTP. I had an SSH server for windows but it was for native Windows, not Cygwin. Didn't find any command line utilties to use with it so I don't use it.
That seems like a good idea. I'll just VNC to my home computer from campus and run BT or IRC, and then download the files through ftp or ssh.

Oh, and yes, the BitTorrent ports were just recently blocked.