Notices

Old 2008-07-11, 08:11   Link #301
Guppy

Spoiler for ep. 2 vs. OVA:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 10:21   Link #302
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Episode 2 was better than the first, the battle was quite good, and I'd say better than Sky Girls' action scenes.

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2008-07-11, 12:12   Link #303
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I wonder how events play out in the light novel?
Actually, I think the light novels follow completely different characters and story...I remember getting a summary from some Japanese-speaking fan on wakachan's /os/ board, and he said it was set in Finland, and the character names he mentioned didn't seem to be in the show. It might have been a prequel (when the war was just starting, not 5 years after like in the TV anime)
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 15:23   Link #304
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

pantless lolis are still pretty disturbing in a weird way, i wonder why?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 15:31   Link #305
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
pantless lolis are still pretty disturbing in a weird way, i wonder why?
Growing up in a society that treats innocent sexuality as something shameful and evil?
Old 2008-07-11, 15:53   Link #306
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
Wait. Is Signora the name? If that's so it's just a terrible one. In english it would be something like Lady Lucchini, but with Lady being the name, so that it would become Mrs. Lady Lucchini . And if in english it's not so unusual in italian sounds really really bad.
"Signora" is Italian for "Mrs."

To be perfectly honest, "Signorina" is more appropriate here. Much like in English, Signora implies marriage or maturity (read: old). Signorina would be the proper way of addressing someone of Francesca's supposed age.

On a side note, I now have a strong urge to call up my father and talk in Italian, something I've never wanted to do before. This is scary.

Buon giorno, Signorina Luccini. Come stai? Ah, bene, bene.

Ah, Italian... Bane of my existence for the last 20 years.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:24   Link #307
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
@JagdPanther: Well, being Italian I know that
Old 2008-07-11, 16:42   Link #308
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
"Signora" is Italian for "Mrs."

To be perfectly honest, "Signorina" is more appropriate here. Much like in English, Signora implies marriage or maturity (read: old). Signorina would be the proper way of addressing someone of Francesca's supposed age.
orz, sorry, it's been many years since I took Italian in highschool. And now I'm learning Spanish seriously, and there aren't any Spanish or Latin American strike witches :P

Also, something kind of funny I noticed about ep 2's animation:

Not that I'm complaining. Just lol gonzo and what not...
Old 2008-07-11, 16:47   Link #309
Wesley84

So, do the girls allude to specific breeds of varmits?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:50   Link #310
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
reusing animation is something done alot of times,

thou in the example you gave i wouldn't really call this reusing animation,
while some sections of the image seem to be reused a lot of it did get redrawn(notice the legs for example)..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:53   Link #311
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

How come strike witches is being listed on the torrents page? Isn't it licensed and being released the same way BLASSREITER and Druga was? One of the subs actually lists Gonzo as doing the subs >.<

Forgot to ask what i wanted lol

So who here is downloading them from Crunchyroll, and how much are you offering?

I'm dling both this and BLASSREITER, i was paying $2.50 an ep, but they've set a minimum of $3 now. Do you think this sort of distribution has a future?
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 16:58   Link #312
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
How come strike witches is being listed on the torrents page? Isn't it licensed and being released the same way BLASSREITER and Druga was? One of the subs actually lists Gonzo as doing the subs >.<
Due to an error, I realised this about 5 minutes ago and fixed the problem.

The TV series is indeed licensed, the OVA isn't considered licensed and they were incorrectly listed as the OVA, not the TV series.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 17:26   Link #313
kaosmos

about time i watched that 2 ep...

....one thing: perrine yuri banzai!

j/k...but hearing miyuki getting jealous for that kind of thing...priceless!

next ep:UK strike witches time! good,i like this char,but i strongly dislike her voice...
she didn't seemed to be the clumsy time in the first episode...

guess i'll have to wait for one of the german witches to get my "silent killing machine" type of personality,cause i can't seems to put francesca,charlotte or perrine in that category...
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 17:57   Link #314
Jiyuu

Quote:

Forgot to ask what i wanted lol

So who here is downloading them from Crunchyroll, and how much are you offering?

I'm dling both this and BLASSREITER, i was paying $2.50 an ep, but they've set a minimum of $3 now. Do you think this sort of distribution has a future?
i'd suggest you move to BOST tv, at the very least for strike witches.
i figure the reason you went with crunchy at druaga's and BLASSREITER's time was because of the higher level download offered.
now bost offers a download which is at least as good(i personally find it much better) as crunchy.
and now that crunchy has a 3$ minimum it means its the same as bost, as bost take 3$ for strike witches.
they both offer a download without DRM, and they both offer a stream.
crunchy offers a(i think) one pass xvid file at 480P with MP3 audio at (i'm not sure about this as i watched it a long time ago and i don't have a sample)128kbit that takes about 300MB.
bost offers an H264 file with AAC audio at 128kbit which weights about 210MB.
i remember blassreiter having lots of artifacts during playback, and in action packed sceens it looked even worst then youtubes H264 version.
bosts H264 version is really clear and has practically no artifacts.

and bosts online stream is also pretty damn good, far better then crunchyrolls for sure.
also bost offers a season pass that costs 33$ for all 12 episodes, so you basically get one episode for free..
Old 2008-07-11, 18:19   Link #315
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
@JagdPanther: Well, being Italian I know that
Wow.

Maybe I should just read your profile. LOL

My bad.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:41   Link #316
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

The problem with Boost TV is that it's only a 14 day rental:

Quote:
Strike Witches

Episode 2 To Do What I Can
Release Date: July 11 2008
Availability: Worldwide excl. Japan
Rental Period: 14 days
Price: 150 Points
Running Time:24 mins
Even the season passes are just rentals:

Quote:
Once you have purchased a Season Pass, you can add episodes to it at anytime. The rental period for each episode doesn’t start until you have added it to your Season Pass. So if you miss a couple of episodes as they come out, don’t worry, you can just add them later when you’re ready to watch it. You can also "pre-order" episodes to the Season Pass before they are released so that you get them immediately on the release date. Be aware that when pre-ordering rental period will start on the release date.
Guess i'll be sticking with Crunchy for now, atleast theres are yours once you download them. No 14 day limit or anything. Also Boost dosent allow you to watch the episode first, Crunchy Does
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 18:43   Link #317
einhorn303

Edit:
Quote:
The problem with Boost TV is that it's only a 14 day rental:
Er, nah, that's just a bit of misleading language on there part. You only have 14 days to DOWNLOAD it (though you can download it as many times as you want). But the file you download lasts forever and has no sort of DRM or anything to disable it after 14 days.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm downloading them from BOST because I like them more...first of all, they didn't start out as a piracy site...they were always legal. And you don't have to deal with the "lol that wuz cool" narutarded youtube-comments-style idiocy of CrunchyRoll. And I just feel like the staff of BOST is...nicer, they answer questions on the forums quite promptly and seem to care about what they're doing.

I think this sort of distribution does have a future, as long as it's for anime focused towards the sort of devoted otaku that actually cares about supporting the industry, and understands the financial costs of producing animation...not just the sort of self-entitled 15-year old who downloads shows to watch without even liking them, just because it's the cool thing to do. ("leechfag," as they'd say on 4chan)

And after paying $3 for episode on BOST, I might have a clear conscience to torrent DVD-raws when they're available, to see any smoother and improved animation.
Old 2008-07-11, 19:05   Link #318
Jiyuu

while I'm not sure if bost actually say that you -buy- the episode they defiantly have not said you must or even should delete the file after 14 days or anything like that.
my guess is they don't use the term buy the episode because the system is still in checking and they don't want people to get misunderstandings about the other shows.
but it could simply be them not updating their usage texts since they added this new option.

so for now as far as i, as a customer, care when i pay those 3$ I'm buying the episode and it is mine for as long as I'd like.
Old 2008-07-11, 22:05   Link #319
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Well that was predictable. Here come the shoujo-ai elements.

I was hoping that they'd stay away from that this series, but looks like it'll be a constant presence.

Otherwise, good episode. Can't wait for some other-character development and screen time next week.
It's more like extreme fangirlism. Ever hear the term "Man-crush"? Same kind of deal.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-11, 23:09   Link #320
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Growing up in a society that treats innocent sexuality as something shameful and evil?
bingo.. and sometimes even just innocence as shameful and evil. After several years of discussion, debate, and psychological studies, I am seriously of the belief now that the loudest screamers on this topic have some serious goblins in their own heads.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume