No, the one from Seto no Hayanome.
Ah, okay.

Something I've never seen.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 22:39   Link #482
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

This show is trying to turn pplz into lolicon, watch out!!!!

Its a conspiracy
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 23:37   Link #483
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
No, the first novel at least is set mainly in late 1939, maybe early 1940.
The anime site mentions that mankind started working on magic-amplifying steam engines in the 18th century, and the design was put into widespread use. Starting from that time, the Neuroi also started appearing.
Thanks a lot for the info, and potential novel translations. That clears up my earlier confusion (How could Ursula be Erica's twin sister if she's 10?) I guess she'd be 16 now in the time period of the tv show. I wonder if we'll get to see any novel characters in the anime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post

Its a conspiracy
Pretty sure most people who watch this show already are lolicon. Though it's also quite likely that this is the most lolicon anime to be licensed and available for legal distribution in North America. If it weren't for this Gonzo x BOST thing, I doubt someone like Funimation or Bandai would pick up the license for Strike Witches DVD's.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 23:55   Link #484
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

I think I'm in love with Francesca. The way she asked for seconds in the beginning was just too cute. And it looks like the next episode will be about her.

Also, Perrine is starting to get better. I'm really considering buying the DVDs.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 00:05   Link #485
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well.. since the whole thing is based off of WW2 era planes and period, those flags for Germany and the Soviet Union make perfect sense (though the German flag is also not their war flag).

The interesting thing is they didn't use the wartime flag for Japan

note: "call me Shirley" is an old gag line from the 40s somewhat like the old joke 1: "call me a cab", 2: "ok, you're a cab". I want to say it was from Abbott&Costello or the Marx Bros. but not sure. Its probably an ancient vaudeville gag.
That is also shown with (for those who payed attention in history) the US flag with 48 stars. And I'm more than likely wrong, but isn't the japanese sun with rays the naval ensign and not the main wartime flag?
Old 2008-07-26, 00:14   Link #486
FateAnomaly

So far i like all the girls that appeared so far. Perrine is my fav though. i don't why but it seems i tends to like those stalker type....
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 00:36   Link #487
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post

Pretty sure most people who watch this show already are lolicon. Though it's also quite likely that this is the most lolicon anime to be licensed and available for legal distribution in North America. If it weren't for this Gonzo x BOST thing, I doubt someone like Funimation or Bandai would pick up the license for Strike Witches DVD's.

I'm not really lolicon,but i do enjoy the show..

(miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro miyuki sawashiro.....)

gah i love her..
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 00:41   Link #488
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:

Its a conspiracy
Lol XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
If the novels were licensed for Region 1 (North America) there might be a possibility that a company will license the TV series (if it gains enough popularity). Too add on to that they might do a "censor-overhaul" before they will release it and GOD FORBID if the company thinks of dubbing Strike Witches! At the moment I don't see any major companies licensing Strike Witches in the future to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
I think I'm in love with Francesca. The way she asked for seconds in the beginning was just too cute. And it looks like the next episode will be about her.

Also, Perrine is starting to get better. I'm really considering buying the DVDs.
I can't wait for episode 5 (even though it looks like there won't be anything relating to aviation). Francesca's face in the episode preview was priceless and I can't wait to see what Perrine is going to wear and we get the see Yeager's swimsuit again lol.

Hell I don't care if the DVDs don't have subtitles because I still have the urge to buy them.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 00:41   Link #489
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
That is also shown with (for those who payed attention in history) the US flag with 48 stars. And I'm more than likely wrong, but isn't the japanese sun with rays the naval ensign and not the main wartime flag?
You're right.. this was discussed a few pages ago. The German flag is also incorrect (not the wartime flag). Some speculation that using the wartime flags might draw unwanted official attention from the censors was made.
Old 2008-07-26, 00:49   Link #490
narmi

Don't forget that they based the main characters from famous WWII ace pilots. Heck I wonder if Chuck Yeager knows about Strike Witches . If I'm right he's still alive and well.

Edit: Instead I wonder what his thoughts are on Strike Witches??

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha

Last edited by narmi; 2008-07-26 at 00:59.
Old 2008-07-26, 01:06   Link #491
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

He'd probably wonder "wtf?", roll his eyes, and have another beer. but with a lot more profanity.... and beer.
Old 2008-07-26, 01:40   Link #492
narmi

Hahaha, I was talking with an recruiter for the Canadian Airforce about Chuck Yeager and midway in the conversation I told him about Strike Witches and Charlotte Yeager being based off Chuck Yeager. His reaction was a good laugh, and then he asked if I was being serious. After that he was like what the hell are the Japanese thinking .

Anyway I saw an image on 4chan of Chuck Yeager holding a figure of Charlotte Yeager (and of course it's an shopped image) but I can't find it now.

Old 2008-07-26, 01:50   Link #493
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Its a conspiracy
yeah, yeah, whatever ..... I'm fairly sure about half the people that use that term are real fuzzy about the meaning so lets just go ahead and admit everyone has latent lolicon threads in their cobwebbed minds.
Old 2008-07-26, 02:09   Link #494
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

If I were him, I would fap to Charlotte.

Besides, this is just a homage to him. If you think about it, he is sided with some of the greatest WW2 aces.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 02:27   Link #495
einhorn303

Quote:
Or Lynette or Sakamoto or Minna.

Though technically Charlotte and Lynette are both underaged, and frowned upon in the eyes of the law. ('course, if Scalia and Alito had their way, something as Apple Pie as Rei Ayanami doujinshi would be punishable with 20 years in prison)
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 03:44   Link #496
narmi

Quote:
Lol he's over 80 years old and that's a bit odd .

Oh yah that reminds me C74 is coming up soon. My guess is that there will be 7 doujins based on Strike Witches.

Old 2008-07-26, 04:22   Link #497
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
Oh yah that reminds me C74 is coming up soon. My guess is that there will be 7 doujins based on Strike Witches.
6 of 7 from the creator himself m i rite?

Hmmmm.. Anyone look at the map of the Strike Witches world? I find it funny that the place where Neuroi hit hardest was where Korea is supposed to be. Awkward~
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 05:50   Link #498
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Besides, this is just a homage to him. If you think about it, he is sided with some of the greatest WW2 aces.
Charlotte's boobs are probably a way of telling the world about Chuck's contributions to the world.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 06:21   Link #499
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I don't think Chuck Yeager is considered to be the best ace. Almost all the German WW2 aces have insane kill counts in comparison. Then again, they had some of the best planes, the best airforce for a while (until RAF started getting serious), and they were picking on relatively easy targets in Blitzkriegs and frail Russian planes.

Then again, Yeager obviously is one of the most well known aces.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 09:35   Link #500
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I don't think Chuck Yeager is considered to be the best ace.
Even if you only count US aces who also piloted the P-51 in the European theatre, there are 26 names above Yeager on the killboard. If you include P-47 aces that number rises to 55. And we still haven't added those who flew in the MTO, SWPA and CBI yet...

Quote:
Almost all the German WW2 aces have insane kill counts in comparison.
True, but they also saw much, much more action.

Take Robert Johnson, the second highest-scoring US ETO ace. His average kill/sortie rate exceeded Hartmann's, but he only flew 89 missions (27 kills) before his tour was up - and that was after he'd requested and received an extension to it. Richard Bong, the highest US scorer, logged 200 combat missions for his 40 kills. Hartmann, on the other hand, flew 1,404 combat missions for his 352 kills.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Johnson, Bong or any other US ace would have outscored Hartmann if they'd flown a comparable number of sorties - but none of them ever got the chance to try.

(Speaking of Bong, I'd presume that any "Strike Witches" incarnation of the P-38 would involve two Witches flying a doubled-up Striker unit. I wonder if they'd go with the obvious choice of Bong/McGuire, or dig a little deeper and opt for the more historical pairing of Bong/Lynch instead?)

Quote:
Then again, Yeager obviously is one of the most well known aces.
True, but it's not his exploits as an ace that he's most well-known for. I agree, though, they clearly picked Yeager for the celebrity factor.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume