AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-14, 22:36   Link #241
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

This is the first time I've looked in this thread. SaiGAR sure didn't end well, but sure, I guess I'll try voting in here.

When I saw that Yutaka was 40th, I raged, just a little bit. She'll be my number one pick for sure. Number two will be Matsuri. Ponytail (and zettai ryouiki) moe~ ;_;

I guess voting for the purple/blue chars would be a waste at this point? The above two are the only characters outside the top range that I have strong feelings for. I'd post an encouraging pic or two, but I'm on break, so my picture collection is not conveniently accessible.

Since nominations last until the 20th, I'll wait until tomorrow to vote...
Old 2008-03-14, 23:00   Link #242
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Spoiler for I'm assuming this have appeared in this thread multiple times, but one more for the heck of it:
Old 2008-03-14, 23:15   Link #243
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
Spoiler for I'm assuming this have appeared in this thread multiple times, but one more for the heck of it:
Well let's look at it this way. Clannad is an anime that has many girls. It is also created by KyoAni, which is well-known for excellent art. Combining excellent art with lots of characters will yield lots of moe characters. Now, I think it would be unfair to only choose 1 of the Clannad characters to participate in the top 17. Remember that nothing is reserved, but rather, people actually voted for them.
Old 2008-03-14, 23:46   Link #244
Fynal_Fyre
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well let's look at it this way. Clannad is an anime that has many girls. It is also created by KyoAni, which is well-known for excellent art. Combining excellent art with lots of characters will yield lots of moe characters. Now, I think it would be unfair to only choose 1 of the Clannad characters to participate in the top 17. Remember that nothing is reserved, but rather, people actually voted for them.
QFT. Hey, if they deserved it, then they should be right up there.

Side Note: KyoAni sure loves to make Anime with a LOT of girls in them...
Old 2008-03-15, 00:01   Link #245
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

No kidding, but it applies to more than just KyoAni... Just the other day I was thinking through some of the character gender ratios, and most popular shows have terribly disproportionate numers like 3:9 or something like that... Any harem anime is obviously going to have lots of females, but it seems action series are following that trend (SnS, ZnT, Rozen, Nanoha, etc.).

Either that, or stuff like Bleach and Naruto, where it's almost completely male dominated.
Old 2008-03-15, 00:15   Link #246
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Note that 12 girls that are registered as locked in before the tournament (due to being top 16 winners in 2006-2007 Japanese and Korean Saimoes) are KyoAni girls. A 13th has been added for Kyou from Clannad for her superior vote totals during the entire nomination process. Her sister Ryou currently holds the bottom spot of the possible new 17 entires that have been nominated to date (16 now that Kyou is locked in). With the 12 prior Saimoe top sixteens and the 8 in the current top 17 for nominations, KyoAni has 20 contestants at this time from Clannad (6), Haruhi (5), Kanon (5), Lucky Star (3), and Full Metal Panic (1). In the top 40 nominees there are two more KyoAni girls: Misuzu Komio (Air) and Yutaka Kobayakawa (Lucky Star). KyoAni seems to be able to put out moe girls, or they are very good at locking in good source material.

I'm presently happy that Chiaki Minami (Minami-ki) has gotten back into the top 17. Her sisters are still on the chart but both are in the red zone. Hanyuu (Higurashi) (who is way too cute) is also still in the running. I'm sad Chii (Chobbits) and Osaka (Azumanga) aren't in the top 17 because they need a second shot at Saimoe, having not had a chance since the first Saimoe for 2002 (Osaka was second place that year and I think Sakara (that year's winner) was the one who knocked out Chii early on). It is sort of strange that Chiyo (Azumanga) is so far down the list (58th with 22 votes) and Lucky Star's "walking moe" Miyuki is almost at the bottom with three votes.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-03-15 at 00:27.
Old 2008-03-15, 00:19   Link #247
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Hm, sounds like a good off-topic project since I'm really bored:

#1 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien:
2 Males: Takayuki, (Shinji?)
3 Females: Haruka, Mitsuki, (Akane?)

#2 Cardcaptor Sakura:
2 Males: Kero, Syaoran
2 Females: Sakura, (Tomoyo?)

#3 Tsuiokuhen:
1 Male: Kenshin
1 Female: Tomoe

#4 Elfen Lied:
3 Males: Kouta, (Bando?), (Kurama?)
5 Females: Nyu/Lucy, Yuka, Nana, Mayu, (Mariko?)

#5 SaiKano:
1 Male: Shuji
2 Females: Chise, Akemi

---

Why am I doing this again? Oh yeah, to show that my favorite shows have more females than males. In any case 4 out of my 5 nominations are KyoAni characters, so I'm guilty too. I guess they're just way too cute.
Old 2008-03-15, 02:29   Link #248
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
This is the first time I've looked in this thread. SaiGAR sure didn't end well, but sure, I guess I'll try voting in here.

When I saw that Yutaka was 40th, I raged, just a little bit. She'll be my number one pick for sure. Number two will be Matsuri. Ponytail (and zettai ryouiki) moe~ ;_;

Eh, there's not really anything good coming from voting for characters below 23th place, and I doubt your five points will help raise Yutaka's -117 to zero.
(That was code for: 5 FOR MATS!)
She actually goes twintail once, too, and absolute territory is always nice.

Matsuri was -20ish when I started voting (first round of nominations), and she probably recieved almost 20 points from just my friend and I over the two nomination rounds, now just barely making the top 17, so it's probably better to vote strategically than to vote for characters you really want in (unless you can get a character you really want in by voting strategically.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotank View Post
No kidding, but it applies to more than just KyoAni... Just the other day I was thinking through some of the character gender ratios, and most popular shows have terribly disproportionate numers like 3:9 or something like that... Any harem anime is obviously going to have lots of females, but it seems action series are following that trend (SnS, ZnT, Rozen, Nanoha, etc.)
Shakugan no Shana:
Yuji, Eita, Keisaku, Ike, maybe Khamsin. (5)
Shana, Kazumi, Margery, Wilhelmina, Matake, arguably Hecate/Konoe. (6)
That's mildly even, and cutting the last minor characters for each gender will only change the ratio slightly. (5:6 to 4:5)
Also, most of the Crimson Lords are male, and the majority of the Tomogara are male.

Zero no Tsukaima:
Saito's the only main character, but then again, this really is a harem anime.
There's maybe four girls in his harem, with a couple of other female side characters, but a lot of the other minor characters are male.

Rozen Maiden:
Yeah, there's one guy. And the old guy. Actually, there's also another in the second season.
But the ratio here is probably between 7:1 to 10:1 by gender for the main characters. I'll agree that's a little lobsided (but just a little)

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha:
It has a clear "Magical Girl" in its title, and mahou shoujo anime generally have more female characters than male anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Note that 12 girls that are registered as locked in before the tournament (due to being top 16 winners in 2006-2007 Japanese and Korean Saimoes) are KyoAni girls. A 13th has been added for Kyou from Clannad for her superior vote totals during the entire nomination process. Her sister Ryou currently holds the bottom spot of the possible new 17 entires that have been nominated to date (16 now that Kyou is locked in). With the 12 prior Saimoe top sixteens and the 8 in the current top 17 for nominations, KyoAni has 20 contestants at this time from Clannad (6), Haruhi (5), Kanon (5), Lucky Star (3), and Full Metal Panic (1). In the top 40 nominees there are two more KyoAni girls: Misuzu Komio (Air) and Yutaka Kobayakawa (Lucky Star). KyoAni seems to be able to put out moe girls, or they are very good at locking in good source material.
I agree here. Kyoto's quality and bishoujo style of animation (and its Lucky Star style) easily make its characters much more moe. However, a lot of this is probably attributed to the fact that Kyoto had produced that anime, too, as even in SaiGAR, there were a handful of characters from KyoAni titles that were less than deserving. (Kyon, Yuuichi, Anisawa Meito [Whose name I didn't know until I read through the SaiGAR list]) And yes, this was just about every male character that had appeared in their anime of late 2006 and 2007. Minoru Shiraishi isn't GAR, but he wins for pure awesomeness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm presently happy that Chiaki Minami (Minami-ki) has gotten back into the top 17. Her sisters are still on the chart but both are in the red zone. Hanyuu (Higurashi) (who is way too cute) is also still in the running. I'm sad Chii (Chobbits) and Osaka (Azumanga) aren't in the top 17 because they need a second shot at Saimoe, having not had a chance since the first Saimoe for 2002 (Osaka was second place that year and I think Sakara (that year's winner) was the one who knocked out Chii early on). It is sort of strange that Chiyo (Azumanga) is so far down the list (58th with 22 votes) and Lucky Star's "walking moe" Miyuki is almost at the bottom with three votes.
I didn't find Chiaki particularly moe, but she was a fun character overall (my favourite of Minami-ke). And Sakura of CCS (you were probably correct) holds only the tenth spot, so characters she had beaten out of the tournament would have much less of a chance (though I had supported Osaka early on, I think) Personally, I didn't find Miyuki moe at all, but it was mainly because she was moreover a parody of "moe" itself, with her only real moe moments as humour as opposed to "fanservice moe". I also generally dislike megane-wielding characters in general, so that may have also been a factor as well.
Old 2008-03-15, 03:14   Link #249
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
It has a clear "Magical Girl" in its title, and mahou shoujo anime generally have more female characters than male anyway.
Hah, win. CCS officially has 2 male leads and 1 female lead. I always found that weird, but oh well. Sakura is so kawaii.

Yes, you can nuke me for saying that.
Old 2008-03-15, 05:17   Link #250
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm just happy that Minami-ke has at least one representative in this version of Saimoe. I don't know who is the most moe on that show, but Chiaki had a lead already over her sisters. (Please don't say the most moe character in Minami-ke (or Okawari) is Mako-chan...the universe is broken enough as it is).
Old 2008-03-15, 09:19   Link #251
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Eh, there's not really anything good coming from voting for characters below 23th place, and I doubt your five points will help raise Yutaka's -117 to zero.

Didn't she nearly beat Nanoha in Saimoe? How could such a cute character fall so low?
Old 2008-03-15, 12:36   Link #252
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
*yawn* nice nap... okay, where were we?

Quote:

I guess voting for the purple/blue chars would be a waste at this point? The above two are the only characters outside the top range that I have strong feelings for. I'd post an encouraging pic or two, but I'm on break, so my picture collection is not conveniently accessible.

Let me tell you something - Yutaka was in the top 17 in the first three weeks of competition. She's down -117 now, but there are ways to get her in this competition - try looking for anime communities who would be interested in this event who would vote for Yutaka.

For the Purple and Blue characters, Kyou's a waste, but you can vote for the rest any way you want - it's just that if you have more characters you want to put in this tournament, it would technically be a waste. If you don't, it wouldn't hurt to solidify their standings.

Or you can check the Aquamarine period of the schedule and vote tactically from there. With a number of voters practically low and can only get higher at this point, it is important to get a good start in this competition, something that unfortunately Hinagiku Katsura could probably struggle with. I see that FANVOTE #3 and FANVOTE #5 could have a potentially tough schedule along with Kyou's, so characters in Indigo may want to start shuffling a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
I will agree at this point, but my take on this is that the girls who can actually handle Clannad and beat the swamp out of them - Suiseiseki, Shana, Haruhi, Hinagiku, et al., are already qualified in this tournament, so what the nomination standings are saying is that any other girl pre-2006 or 2006-07 who didn't prove themselves in Saimoe won't beat them here. I would think at this point there could be a last minute effort to get Ryou out of this competition.

Quote:
Didn't she nearly beat Nanoha in Saimoe? How could such a cute character fall so low?
One of the girls I've wanted to see in this competition was Runa Edomae, due to not only her cuteness but also her victory over Korean champion Hinagiku Katsura in Japan. But that's not happening. My guess is that where Clannad aired in the year possibly made this just a 12-slot opening, since it aired much later.
Old 2008-03-15, 13:53   Link #253
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

Quote:
Quite true. I'm still holding back my second vote, but she'll be getting the 4 points position. Yutaka was my #2 newcomer in 2007, Shiori being #1. I'll support those two regardless of their situation.

But giving 3-2-1 points too early could result in one helping a so-so character beat a more preferred one. Caution is advised : p.
Old 2008-03-15, 13:55   Link #254
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
One of the girls I've wanted to see in this competition was Runa Edomae, due to not only her cuteness but also her victory over Korean champion Hinagiku Katsura in Japan. But that's not happening. My guess is that where Clannad aired in the year possibly made this just a 12-slot opening, since it aired much later.
I'm with you there. Was hoping that Runa could crack in and do some damage in this tournament. Can still remember the disappointment in losing against Nanoha. Especially after that win that some didn't expect against Hinagiku. Sadly unlikely to get the rematch this time.
Old 2008-03-15, 14:00   Link #255
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Quite true. I'm still holding back my second vote, but she'll be getting the 4 points position. Yutaka was my #2 newcomer in 2007, Shiori being #1. I'll support those two regardless of their situation.

But giving 3-2-1 points too early could result in one helping a so-so character beat a more preferred one. Caution is advised : p.
Quite true. Ayu Tsukimiya received a boatload of 2-pt votes - like 70 of them. Where is she now?
Old 2008-03-15, 20:01   Link #256
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

I was so focused on the top 40 characters that I forgot about poor Nayuki... but then I saw that all my favorite Kanon girls (with Nayuki being the top) were already qualified, and all was well.
Old 2008-03-15, 20:21   Link #257
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

Quote:
Shakugan no Shana:
Yuji, Eita, Keisaku, Ike, maybe Khamsin. (5)
Shana, Kazumi, Margery, Wilhelmina, Matake, arguably Hecate/Konoe. (6)
That's mildly even, and cutting the last minor characters for each gender will only change the ratio slightly. (5:6 to 4:5)
Also, most of the Crimson Lords are male, and the majority of the Tomogara are male.

Zero no Tsukaima:
Saito's the only main character, but then again, this really is a harem anime.
There's maybe four girls in his harem, with a couple of other female side characters, but a lot of the other minor characters are male.

Uhm, you can hardly count Khamsin as a main character, maybe Ike, although his involvement in season 2 is minimal as well. On the female side, all of those plus Yuji's mother and Pheles amounts to 8, which would yield something like a 3/4:8 ratio.

Zero no tsukaima has like 1 male lead and 2 side characters that are male, and that's it. Those two would be Nash/Julio and the professor dude.

Not that I feel particularly strongly about the whole ratio thing, but I think a healthy mix makes the anime seem less 'fanservice-ish'.
Old 2008-03-15, 20:50   Link #258
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
I was so focused on the top 40 characters that I forgot about poor Nayuki... but then I saw that all my favorite Kanon girls (with Nayuki being the top) were already qualified, and all was well.
Here's a thing to think about as we are soon to receive the results of the test poll in about ten minutes or so:

I was seriously thinking about excluding Korea Super Best Moe. This means that Mai Kawasumi would have been out too, having to rely on a nomination vote for a top what would be 18 slot. But after seeing that there were 18 nominations, I thought that had to be too many. So I included her in.

And to make this even more a sign of destiny, Mai beat Eri Sawachika by one vote to get in this field.

If Super Best Moe was excluded, Mai would have had to fight her way in. I'm sure she could have gone in anyway, but that would have knocked Ayu out since she wouldn't have received as many votes, and Mai herself would suffer from split voting as well, giving entry to two other contestants.
Old 2008-03-15, 21:35   Link #259
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Third test poll - St. Patrick's day. I'm going to check the script again and see if there's anything that really needs to be done to have it not have the same problems again. In the meantime, C.C. and Eri will have a rematch for coming to a draw on Monday, and some other girls will take the stage.
Old 2008-03-16, 01:41   Link #260
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Third test poll - St. Patrick's day. I'm going to check the script again and see if there's anything that really needs to be done to have it not have the same problems again. In the meantime, C.C. and Eri will have a rematch for coming to a draw on Monday, and some other girls will take the stage.
We have redraws for test polls too?
Closed Thread

Tags
i-moe, i-saimoe, isml, saimoe