AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-04-26, 00:34   Link #1
Chronosphere EXIA

General Tokusatsu Discussion

Fellow animesuki users, I am into this sort of entertainment known as Tokusatsu. I would like to know who among here other than me is in it.
Chronosphere EXIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 10:10   Link #2
Fome

By "in," I am guessing you mean that you enjoy watching it. Unless you mean you have actually appeared in episodes.

I used to watch a lot as a kid, not so much anymore.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 10:53   Link #3
gundam rider

hmmmm, many-many Tokusatsu like,

errrrr......, e.g. the Gojira series, all kaiju movies, .....etc.....

to the super hero series like the, Utramans , Kamen Riders, Super Sentai, Metal Heroes, lots & lots of Toei & Tsuburaya stuffs like Mirrorman, Jumborg, ....etc..

to spin-offs like the Super Ninjas, Jiraya, the star god series (like the Gransazers, Justrizers, Sazer-X), Ryukendo, Takara Rescue Teams, .... etc....

to mature adult series like Gunryu, GARO, Ultraseven-X, Furikaizen(!?), .....etc....

ummm...., like those right??
gundam rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 19:40   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

"In" as in working? It must be a tough considering that you might have to wear that heavy armor in the summer times.

Or do you mean "in" as in watching the genre? I don't watch Tokusatsu.. I used to like it though but not anymore. Perhaps, you would want to change your thread title to clarify your meaning.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 21:56   Link #5
Chronosphere EXIA

I mean, "who is watching tokusatsu?"
Old 2009-04-26, 22:22   Link #6
denice25

i like tokusatsu....
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 06:23   Link #7
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Watched Kamen Rider and Metal Heros back in the day when it was popular in Philippine TV.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 08:35   Link #8
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
never watched it...
Old 2009-04-28, 02:02   Link #9
Chronosphere EXIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Watched Kamen Rider and Metal Heros back in the day when it was popular in Philippine TV.
Same goes here. I am watching Kamen Rider Kiva, Decade and Dragon Knight alongside Shaider.
Old 2023-05-08, 11:56   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since we have no "General Tokusatsu" thread to talk about Toku shows or movies that's not Ultraman or Kamen Rider, this one is as good as any.

Anyway, I'll start with this, the new Toku with Decade's actor:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-05-09, 04:01   Link #11
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

It amazing how Inoue set his eyes for global audience, something uncommon for smaller project like this.
As for the episode itself, well, he went minimum lighting full mystery for first episode, must be something he took notes from his days as Jinga in Garo. Hopefully the second episode will do better; he confirmed total 12 episode, so I guess treated it more like splitted movie format?

As for me, non-KR non-Ultra I currently watched is King-ohger.

Current episode, Episode 10, is roll call episode and it solid 10/10 for me, very beautiful.

Seriously, ten episodes running strong. If this kind of quality continues it will be tough for upcoming sentai to be the third after this and Donbrothers.
Writer team clarified for King-ohger major arcs will took 9 episodes, so I guess, episode 1 (introduction) + 9 (Five Nations Alliance arc); curious what will the sixth ranger bring as Racles and Deathnarak still playing as well, also reason why he decided to take action after being narrator up to latest episode.
Old 2023-05-09, 05:52   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So... did anyone watch the Power Rangers special on Netflix? Once and Always?
YouTube

It's always interesting to see contrasting opinions between normies & fans in cases like this.

This is a (harsh) normie review:
YouTube

And these are fans reviews:
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

As for me, I can see all sides of the arguments:
Is this special generally better executed than the originial episodes of MMPR back in 1993? Technically, yes, even though with lackluster roster especially considering what they had to deal with (Thuy & JDF are RIP, Austin has legal problems & Mary just didn't want to appear in this) so they had to go with incomplete roster & make the plot about the death & lost of Trini Kwan (Yellow Ranger). There's definitely a little bit more violence in this special than your regular MMPR episode. Just a wee bit, including Rita freely speak of killing the Rangers which is the word that American kids shows tend to avoid .
Does this special live up to the potential of a 30th anniversary and as a swansong for the Trini character? It really depends on your expectation. I personally am underwhelmed by it. Especially with the wooden acting of David Yost who played one of the main protags in this particular story (Billy Cranston/Blue Ranger). It was understandable though considering he never really acted again for about two decades before this IIRC. I just think it's unfortunate and could've been (a lot) better.
Old 2023-05-14, 08:06   Link #13
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

King-ohger 11.

To anyone surprise, Jeremy the kumo-otoko (spider-man) is a neutral force, he joined the fray for his own benefit (to be a king himself) instead of helping the kings.
Displaying power that easily rivals, if not stronger than, Deathnarak, the new arc pretty much set; which one is the fastest to recruit Jeremy to their side. Four Nations Alliance + Gira or Bugnarok? LOL Rita suffering deep inside being supreme judge prevent her join the talk as Hymeno spoiled new episode of Moffun.

Tsukasa's Tokusatsu Episode 2 is out and welp, that's interesting. Looking forward to more exposition.

YouTube

Another awesome indie tokusatsu BTW:

YouTube
Old 2023-05-18, 20:54   Link #14
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

YouTube

Gattai da!
Old 2023-05-18, 23:29   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Gattai da!
Well, people have been wanting Anno to use the oldschool, "guy in rubber suit"-technique, now we get one

Also:

Quote:
Current episode, Episode 10, is roll call episode and it solid 10/10 for me, very beautiful.

Seriously, ten episodes running strong. If this kind of quality continues it will be tough for upcoming sentai to be the third after this and Donbrothers.
I have watched Kingohger until episode 5 and really liking it so far (it helps that I like the hero suits, unlike KR Geats & his friends). I like to watch in bulk and I thought episode 5 was a good spot to stop. I hope the next 5 episodes or so will be another solid watch for me.

Note: Rita was hilarious
Old 2023-05-24, 01:18   Link #16
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, people have been wanting Anno to use the oldschool, "guy in rubber suit"-technique, now we get one

Also:

I have watched Kingohger until episode 5 and really liking it so far (it helps that I like the hero suits, unlike KR Geats & his friends). I like to watch in bulk and I thought episode 5 was a good spot to stop. I hope the next 5 episodes or so will be another solid watch for me.

Note: Rita was hilarious
No one expected Anno pulled a Shin Super Sentai soon. LOL.

Understandable on said part, King-ohger's 1+9 episode major arc format really tempting for bulk watching especially if they can keep good timing like episode 5 and 10, both are nice place to rest before continuing. I guess I'll do the same depends on how Spider-Kumonos arc done.

I OTOH enjoyed Kaguragi a lot, Black by man in kabuki attire as brawler who is careful about managing stakes is not within my expectation when they announced the cast. His debut transformation against Bugnarak is just brimmed with personality it easily put him as my favorite.

Spoiler for King-ohger 12:

YouTube

Tsukasa just can't stop living life as destroyer of worlds.

Old 2023-05-24, 02:57   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
No one expected Anno pulled a Shin Super Sentai soon. LOL.

Understandable on said part, King-ohger's 1+9 episode major arc format really tempting for bulk watching especially if they can keep good timing like episode 5 and 10, both are nice place to rest before continuing. I guess I'll do the same depends on how Spider-Kumonos arc done.
I've watched another bulk of Kingohger from episode 6-10. Huh, it looks like they really do make 5-episode arc each time. Episode 10 ended with them (finally) working as a group & summoned the legendary Kingohger to save the 5 kingdoms at the same time with some crazy teleportation power (which is funny coz most of the time, I always thought Sentai Robo can always teleport to any battle scenes anyway ).

Also, you're right. After 10 episodes, Kaguragi is climbing closest to the top of my favorite Sentai member (Rita is still #1 due to her awkward stoic-ness ).

So, we got the 6th ranger from episode 11 onwards huh? With the pattern that they're going each arc (5 episodes), I might wait until episode 15 to watch again.
Old 2023-05-24, 06:57   Link #18
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Also, you're right. After 10 episodes, Kaguragi is climbing closest to the top of my favorite Sentai member (Rita is still #1 due to her awkward stoic-ness ).

So, we got the 6th ranger from episode 11 onwards huh? With the pattern that they're going each arc (5 episodes), I might wait until episode 15 to watch again.
Rita is very popular in Japan, she dominated view count of SHT (Super Heroes Time - refer to time slot Sentai and Kamen Rider airings) TikTok channel since her debut.

Following that, Moffun no Uta (OST of Moffun to Issho) which released alongside Kingohger OST currently became trending topic in Japan due to it lyrics; people worried about Himeno and Rita actual mental health since both found it adorable. Some even wanted to see more Moffun lore, if possible got spot in Toei extras.

Old 2023-05-24, 08:06   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Following that, Moffun no Uta (OST of Moffun to Issho) which released alongside Kingohger OST currently became trending topic in Japan due to it lyrics; people worried about Himeno and Rita actual mental health since both found it adorable. Some even wanted to see more Moffun lore, if possible got spot in Toei extras.
Wait, what's wrong with the lyrics?
Old 2023-05-24, 09:23   Link #20
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Wait, what's wrong with the lyrics?
Spoiler for Lyrics in question, translated by me so might be inaccurate:

TV size version exist too, cutting ominous parts to standard 1:30 anime OP.