AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-06-09, 13:50   Link #2221
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
I'm not saying Kaiji is serious about it, but they deliberately put homo stuff in that scene, like I said they go on dat in Kaiji's secret garden , digging potatoes and talking about pain and pleasure. I just wondered if i was the only one bugged by this.
If you're going to accuse us of being superficial, you're gonna have to do better than that.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 13:59   Link #2222
rainrix

I'm pointing that scene but there is a lot to say about Evangelion.

Why can't I check your profile Yot-chan?
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 14:01   Link #2223
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Why would you want to?
Old 2010-06-09, 14:06   Link #2224
rainrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Why would you want to?
Don't you ever check people's profile? I didn't know some where private or something.
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 14:22   Link #2225
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I say quit the useless banter. It's just spamming up the thread and nothing anyone says will get through to the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Maybe you don't ever make jokes with your friends like that, but I know when I'm with a bunch of guys there are often gay jokes flying around... It's of the same nature.

Kaiji is clearly in love with Misato, so there is no reason to speculate anything further really.
Guys often joke like that. Just...not to that extent, but it was a joke - that's it.
Old 2010-06-09, 21:21   Link #2226
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
*Ahem* Need I remind everyone this isn't a chat room?
Old 2010-06-09, 22:08   Link #2227
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
*Ahem* Need I remind everyone this isn't a chat room?
Oh, cut me some slack. He asked, I answered. I tried not to prolong it...

Anyway, I'm kind of curious now...what WAS everyone's reaction to Kaji's near-kiss? It's one of those bits about the movie that I had completely forgotten about until I got the DVD... But yeah, I thought it was surprising and unexpected...and yet perfectly in tune with Kaji's character. I'm wondering if the people who thought the characters were changed too much felt the same way...
Old 2010-06-09, 23:24   Link #2228
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

Anyway, I'm kind of curious now...what WAS everyone's reaction to Kaji's near-kiss? It's one of those bits about the movie that I had completely forgotten about until I got the DVD... But yeah, I thought it was surprising and unexpected...and yet perfectly in tune with Kaji's character. I'm wondering if the people who thought the characters were changed too much felt the same way...
I didn't find any issue with Kaiji really. He had about as much screen time in proportion to the movie as he did the TV series in proportion.

As I did wish many of the characters though (Like Misato, and the nonexistent Ritsuko), I wanted far more development than they gave in the movie.

So yeah, personally it was perfectly in line with his character.

Now... If you want me to get going about Asuka/Kaiji relationship that's disappeared....
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 00:13   Link #2229
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now... If you want me to get going about Asuka/Kaiji relationship that's disappeared....
I missed that, too.
Old 2010-06-10, 02:24   Link #2230
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
His issues with implied (or imagined) homo-eroticism in Rebuild 2.22 are afloat in a derelict Strike Cruiser in the middle of the astral sea of I-Don't-Care. :P

*ahem*

Anyway, I was wondering about the dubbing efforts for the newest movie. Since they'll be working with 2.22 this time instead of what happened with the previous movie (I have the dubbed 1.01, and boy, I felt shortchanged when I compared it to 1.11, even with the great dub), I don't worry about the visual quality (1.01 suffered from SOLID WALLS OF DARKNESS), but... Will Asuka's old English VA still be up to it? And will Spike Spencer be able to scream, but not like a little girl?

Also, though I understand that most of the old English VAs have come back for the Rebuild dub, there is the issue of Mari. I wonder who the studio would cast for the role. Any ideas?

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2010-06-10 at 02:33. Reason: Disconnected in the middle of reply
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 02:41   Link #2231
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I really don't know. I find it hilarious because I originally saw Evangelion in Japanese, then I watched it in English for quite a while, then returned to the Japanese.

There was a time when I preferred the English dub .

However, at this time of my life I can truly say that the Japanese voice acting is just utterly superb. Shinji in EoE was f*cking amazing.

Anyhow, the english dub is still pretty good. I hope they do get the same cast together for everyone. It would be a shame if they didn't, since Evangelion is one of the animes to have a great english dub.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 02:47   Link #2232
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I prefer English dubs, as its easy to do something else at the same time as watching them, like composing an essay or painting figures. :P While I do still watch shows in RAW Japanese, it requires me to give my full attention to the show (my Japanese needs a workout).

Anyway, I just recently re-watched the dubbed Rebuild 1.01 in between reading for my classes, and I have to say that the VAs aged well -- indeed, one of my friends could STILL pick out each English VA and name them. Too bad Gendou's old VA will never ever return, but that's due to personal issues on his part.

Also... Tiffany Grant! Err, isn't she in her mid-fifties already though? Talk about dub dissonance.

Hmm... Since A. Winn Lee isn't doing Rei anymore, wouldn't it be funny if she was cast as Mari instead? I mean, she did pretty well as Haruhi and Konata.
Old 2010-06-10, 03:07   Link #2233
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Enh...personally, I don't care about the English dub. I got the subtitled editions of all the ADV VHS tapes, so I never heard the English dub until I got around to getting the DVDs in 2001 or so.

After four years of watching it with the Japanese voices, I couldn't get used to the English VAs. I'm not saying they're bad or anything, they just don't sound like the characters to me.
Old 2010-06-10, 03:19   Link #2234
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Just an idle musing, and as I mentioned it's a personal preference, as dubbed series allow me to divide my attention on subsequent viewings, while a RAW Japanese show would require me to devote my full concentration on it. Plus, having a dub gives me an excuse to foist the movies on to some of my friends who can't stand subtitles.

... Still, Tiffany Grant. That should be something.
Old 2010-06-10, 04:22   Link #2235
RisArk

I dunno about Tiffany returning, since all she does is talk smack about FUNi, lately. Plus, she sounded way old even back then.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 04:39   Link #2236
gowfan05

In my opinion, by watching the show in its original/correct language it gives a better understanding of the feelings that are supposed to be expressed by each character.. I liked Amy Grants voice in the NGE series but i dont think it will match the new asuka.
gowfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 06:55   Link #2237
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The first time I watched the TV series, it was in that wretched Real format, with the english dub - and subtitles, for whatever they were worth. Can't say I miss the english dub, much (although, I do have a soft spot for the first brazillian portuguese dub of it, which I accompanied on our Locomotion channel, part of the late Directv line-up) and I freakin' love anything with Megumi Hayashibara's voice in it. Yeah, even Pokemon and Saber Marionette. Sue me.

Nevertheless, I couldn't really care about dubs now - even if, when they release 1.11 here in july, I'll probably sample the brazillian dub. For old times' sake.

Also, I'm still waiting for a nice release of the second movie. Hopefully, the first one sells well around these parts, and they bring that one over, as well.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 07:33   Link #2238
RisArk

Quote:
Amy Grants voice

RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 08:37   Link #2239
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

RisArk: I assume it's a typo. :P
Old 2010-06-10, 10:31   Link #2240
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Does anyone own the Perfect Collection of the original series? I'm wondering how it is (the subs, video, audio, etc).

Tags
movie, remake