AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-17, 11:48   Link #9561
ccie20012

Who likes it or not, but Zen is the protagonist of the manga. So he came up with the author.
I do not understand what Zen so terrible - in any case, it is much better than the usual Dense-as-all-hell MC.
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 15:27   Link #9562
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers View Post
Someone should post all these sale numbers and polls that folks keep talking about. Is Zen even that popular?
Someone can go search them up but Medaka box sold 100,000 copies in the first week for it's last volume basically end of the Aijimu arc where it's ratings were pretty terrible and lower than they are now. for comparison most of Shouen main stay mid tiers e.g Kuroko no basket etc sold between that and 150,000 (Kuroko was around 120,000) typically only the big guns e.g hitman reborn and HxH etc sold 200,000+. Magico for comparison in the opposite direction sold 30k.

A 100k manga isn't exactly something you just up and cancel otherwise a large proportion of the publishers revenue would go just like that. So for the most part it's pretty much safe. It would for it to fall massively from there (when the ratings imply the opposite) for the manga to get cancelled.

Edit: Just realised Westlo is completely full of crap the manga's actually doing great ranking wise in Zenkichi box and actually has moment, it's only at the top of the bottom 5 one week and now it's getting more regularily ranked in the middle. So fuck yeah Zenkichi box it's doing well. Aijimu's arc did badly because honestly it was pretty crap. Aside from the fanservice treasure arc, not much happened in second arc and the lack of straight battles clearly harmed it when it was trying to be more serious. I didn't really notice how well Zenkichi box was doing until now, thanks Westlo.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2012-06-17 at 15:49.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:40   Link #9563
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Someone can go search them up but Medaka box sold 100,000 copies in the first week for it's last volume basically end of the Aijimu arc where it's ratings were pretty terrible and lower than they are now. for comparison most of Shouen main stay mid tiers e.g Kuroko no basket etc sold between that and 150,000 (Kuroko was around 120,000) typically only the big guns e.g hitman reborn and HxH etc sold 200,000+. Magico for comparison in the opposite direction sold 30k.

A 100k manga isn't exactly something you just up and cancel otherwise a large proportion of the publishers revenue would go just like that. So for the most part it's pretty much safe. It would for it to fall massively from there (when the ratings imply the opposite) for the manga to get cancelled.

Edit: Just realised Westlo is completely full of crap the manga's actually doing great ranking wise in Zenkichi box and actually has moment, it's only at the top of the bottom 5 one week and now it's getting more regularily ranked in the middle. So fuck yeah Zenkichi box it's doing well. Aijimu's arc did badly because honestly it was pretty crap. Aside from the fanservice treasure arc, not much happened in second arc and the lack of straight battles clearly harmed it when it was trying to be more serious. I didn't really notice how well Zenkichi box was doing until now, thanks Westlo.
As for the anime sales they are honestly doing terrible, seriously it's like the third or fourth worst selling anime of the season and this is even including the daytime anime aimed at general audiences which doesn't need to sell BDs/DVDs (which Medaka is not). The current preorders are at somewhere like ~500 with final projected sales barely cracking 1000. If you want a scale for that consider an average anime sells about ~3000, ~5000 is about the baseline for what you could consider successful, ~10,000 is where you generally see the real successes of a season standing out, and ~50,000+ is the realm of commercial monsters like K-On, Gundam, and more recently Madoka and *monogatari.

Regarding the manga rankings I wouldn't quite call them "great" but Medaka Box has certainly re-entered "safe" territory with the conclusion of the previous arc and the start of the new one. Unfortunately, the rankings up to this point only reflect up to ch. 143 which means they're just about to reach the point when Nishio cut out all of the popular characters including Kumagawa and Ajimu. If you really want to talk about "Zenkichi Box's" popularity I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait and look for the next couple months' rankings.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-06-17 at 16:55.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:47   Link #9564
Sarun

Unfortunately we won't be able to see the rating of Chapter 144 since next issue is color issue for Medaka Box. However, we can see how readers reacted to Zen's "Altered God Mode - Zen Model" of Chapter 145. And the conclusion of his fight vs Nienami!
Old 2012-06-17, 16:59   Link #9565
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As for the anime sales they are honestly doing terrible, seriously it's like the third or fourth worst selling anime of the season and this is even including the daytime anime aimed at general audiences which doesn't need to sell BDs/DVDs (which Medaka is not). The current preorders are at somewhere like ~500 with final projected sales barely cracking 1000. If you want a scale for that consider an average anime sells about ~3000, ~5000 is about the baseline for what you could consider successful, ~10,000 is where you generally see the real successes of a season standing out, and ~50,000+ is the realm of commercial monsters like K-On, Gundam, and more recently Madoka and *monogatari.

Regarding the manga rankings I wouldn't quite call them "great" but Medaka Box has certainly re-entered "safe" territory with the conclusion of the previous arc and the start of the new one. Unfortunately, the rankings up to this point only reflect up to ch. 143 which means they're just about to reach the point when Nishio cut out all of the popular characters including Kumagawa and Ajimu. If you really want to talk about "Zenkichi Box's" popularity I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait and look for the next couple months' rankings.
For a manga that consistently in the bottom 5 they are great, lets not beat around the bush here, Medaka's always had shit rankings if it manages to consistently stay in the middle it may as well be great for it. It's I highly doubt it's only up to 143 it doesn't make sense to release rankings 8 weeks behind while having none of the proceeding chapters affecting those rankings. 4-8 weeks sounds more reasonable for the rating area. I mean really what would be the purpose of ordering the manga based on popularity when the ranking is that old?

8 weeks only comes from when they start rating new manga and they probably did that to give it a grace period rather than all manga being rated that way.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:03   Link #9566
Sarun

Has Medaka Box volume sales cracked Top 50 in sales for the 1st half of 2012?

And how much (if it had) boosts did anime give Medaka Bo volume sales?
Old 2012-06-17, 17:05   Link #9567
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarun View Post
Has Medaka Box volume sales cracked Top 50 in sales for the 1st half of 2012?

And how much (if it had) boosts did anime give Medaka Bo volume sales?
Top 50, how bad do you think Medaka box is doing? it's a in the top 20 or just outside it sort of deal.

edit: ahh thats typically more for Shusi, in general it's not that great, though I'm guessing in this context it's including 1 volume.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2012-06-17 at 17:24.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:12   Link #9568
Sarun

Just checked (a random post from a forum), not a single Medaka Box volume was in Top 100 among sales in 1st half of 2012.

The 100th was Hayate no Gotoku! #31 (211,154).

So, it could mean individual Medaka Box volumes sold in 2012 barely got 200K sales.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:25   Link #9569
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Just checked (a random post from a forum), not a single Medaka Box volume was in Top 100 among sales in 1st half of 2012.

The 100th was Hayate no Gotoku! #31 (211,154).

So, it could mean individual Medaka Box volumes sold in 2012 barely got 200K sales.
Yeah that's only counting 1 volume i think which did quite terrible due to arc it's in, the anime wouldn't have had an affect on that. Including all manga it's obviously not that great but those just from it's publisher it's pretty good.
Old 2012-06-17, 17:27   Link #9570
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Just got done with the Minus Arc.

Spoiler:

Last edited by The Butcher; 2012-06-17 at 17:37.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 17:27   Link #9571
Sarun

Still nearing 200k sales would make it in a comfortable territory right?
Old 2012-06-17, 17:32   Link #9572
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Still nearing 200k sales would make it in a comfortable territory right?
It would be but I'm not sure if it was that or not, if it sold similar to the last one then yes, if not then no it would probably be around 150k
Old 2012-06-17, 17:43   Link #9573
Sarun

Well, I just want the series to good sales and rankings though it would be even better if it receives better rankings and great sales.
Old 2012-06-17, 22:18   Link #9574
DawnEmperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
lol @ people being salty that Kumagawa is back, looking forward to Kumagawa at the minimum tripping Zen's votes. Hopefully Kumagawa is allowed to steal the show from this point on and save it from the mediocre Jump rankings that Zen has led this manga to in the last 6 months.

Considering Nisio was able to pump out a novel a month for over a year he could easily plan out an entire year of Medaka Box in a week or so really lol. I doubt Medaka Box is anywhere near his main focus.

No, him not recalling that line means he'll recall that line at a more appropriate time to asspaul (of course Zen fans won't call it that) his way to victory (or cheer-lead Medaka to one) later in this arc.

The anime has performed shit.
Zen has led this manga back to the bottom 5 for the last 6 months, just like how it was B.K. (Before Kumagawa)
Even Bleach had to "speed" arcs up when it was ranking badly.... look @ Mago now too.... both series have much better performing anime shows and way more manga sales than Medaka Box.

Please don't insult Arararararararararararararagai-san by comparing him to trash like Zen.
Stop acting like your dislikes correlate with the actual state of the manga. You're hardly making any sense at all. It just makes you look like a selfish fan. We all have our expectations and desires, but let's just let the author finish the story. Rather have a good story regardless of its rank, than something that just climbed rankings because of one popular character.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 22:28   Link #9575
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
Stop acting like your dislikes correlate with the actual state of the manga. You're hardly making any sense at all. It just makes you look like a selfish fan. We all have our expectations and desires, but let's just let the author finish the story. Rather have a good story regardless of its rank, than something that just climbed rankings because of one popular character.
Don't worry about Westlo...he's a known Zen hater / Kuma lover.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 02:13   Link #9576
DawnEmperor

^ Yeah, I know, but sometimes the lack of logic is astounding. Everyone has points where they thought the manga sucked(whether it's because their favorite character is missing, or because the plot is going in a different direction).
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:20   Link #9577
Homura7

Ok, I just checked all the rankings since the later chapters of the Treasure Hunt arc, and, seriously Westlo? I'm disappoint.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:26   Link #9578
Tenchi Hou Take

I know it's quite pathetic really this is someones livelihood and something they've put their creative time and effort to create and yet you just want it to fail because you and be forced to go an entirely different route because you don't like that character one single character. I don't particularily care for Ichigo main character of bleach, you don't see me wanting it to fail because of him and that goes for the vast majority of people.

There character bias likes and dislikes which everyone has , then there's another level of irrational dislike which Westlo has reached.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:34   Link #9579
Sol Falling

He's correct though, up until the last 5 chapters with the new arc; Medaka Box has been almost entirely in the bottom 5 (bottom 3, even) aside from the unranked colour chapters. It's been doing the worst it has since before the Minus Arc; and this was coming off an amazing run during the Treasure Hunt mini-arc chapters.

I am not especially concerned about rankings 'cause Kumagawa is easy popularity and clearly will have some involvement in the present storyline, but don't be surprised if the rankings drop for the next two months or so.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:36   Link #9580
Homura7

There's a similar guy in narutoforums who's fucking biased and outraged with the fact Zen is leading this new adventure. Ask Sarun.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council